Match Thread Brentford Match Thread (3 Viewers)

David O'Day

Be happy with a draw.

They still have the bulk of a team that apart from a massive bottle job should of went up

shmmeee

I see your point but respectfully, I disagree.

O Hare is definitely a new signing - it's an educated guess but I would expect his signing this year had a significantly bigger impact on the budget than last year - I still can't believe we got him tbf. I also think Walker will come good and be a competent player at championship level but the jury is still out.

I think some things to consider are depth - if you look at our bench this year (fully fit squad) it's miles above what we had last year, and potential - a lot of our recruitment is buying players that are perhaps slightly below the level of just being able to walk into the team and perform to the required standard, but with the potential to achieve that and more in the future. With that second point, I expected it to take quite a few games for us to get up to speed.

Just my opinion of course

Yeah I respect that. Getting O’Hare was great, he’s not looked out of place at all. But he was here last year so just taking last years squad to this you can’t really claim he’s an improvement.

I do hope we’ll find our feet. We always start slow and that’ll go double this season. But if we do it’ll be down to a mammoth effort from our players to step up.

Brighton Sky Blue

I don't think Brentford have started well, points-wise anyway.

But form is temporary, class is permanent, and i would still expect them to beat us.

Would snatch your hand off for a bore-draw...

Like Forest they’ll get going sooner or later. Just don’t want us to make it as easy for sides as we did a few weeks ago. Mind you at least Brentford won’t be shithousers who scythe down half the team so should be a better game

KenilworthSkyBlue

Be happy with a draw.

They still have the bulk of a team that apart from a massive bottle job should of went up

Whilst true, they've lost the best part of 40 goals in a team that netted 80 last season. Overall they have a great squad still but Watkins' and Benrahma's influence was huge and their departures will surely be felt this season.

Brighton Sky Blue

Whilst true, they've lost the best part of 40 goals in a team that netted 80 last season. Overall they have a great squad still but Watkins' and Benrahma's influence was huge and their departures will surely be felt this season.

Have gained Toney to be fair who will be guaranteed at least a few chances

Covkid1968#

Was really looking forward to this game.... reading all this and now got a right sinking feeling. Shall go for a couple of beers at 1 and then go and see if we can play at the top of our game combined with a shit load of luck... and sneak a draw. Pffffffff PUSB

KenilworthSkyBlue

Have gained Toney to be fair who will be guaranteed at least a few chances

Whilst Brentford paid a premium, Toney was a good buy and should make up at least some of the difference. Whether he'll totally fill Watkins' shoes initially with regards to goals remains to be seen but he's certainly capable of hitting the 15-20 mark at this level.

Looking at who they've bought in, they haven't got a direct replacement for Benrahma though unless they manage to get something over the line tomorrow. Not the end of the world given the quality of their squad but his departure certainly leaves a big hole.

Last edited:

SkyBlueBee

Whilst Brentford paid a premium, Toney was a good buy and should make up at least some of the difference. Whether he'll totally fill Watkins' shoes initially with regards to goals remains to be seen but he's certainly capable of hitting the 15-20 mark at this level.

Looking at who they've bought in, they haven't got a direct replacement for Benrahma though unless they manage to get something over the line tomorrow. Not the end of the world given the quality of their squad but his departure certainly leaves a big hole.

Saman Ghoddos is Benrahma’s replacement (we had tried to buy him last season, in anticipation of Benrahma nearly joining Villa)

The way we play generally means we will always have chances , just need someone to be in the box! Maupay got 20 goals before we sold him, Watkins was converted from a winger into a striker last season (as we couldn’t get Lyal Taylor at the deadline) and he got 20 plus goals and now this season “in theory” we have a proper striker upfront in Toney and he should be aiming for 20 as well.

Now watch as Saturday’s match ends 0-0

Londonccfcfan

But we needed more depth in the squad with a higher level of quality. Walker may or ay not turn out to be great, but there was a consensus that we needed more depth in the attack, so we can see why they went for him. Similarly with Sheaf - we know Kelly will pick up knocks, so needed more cover there, and Sheaf fits the model regarding age and sell on value. Buying just one better quality player means potting all your eggs in one basket, hoping they perform well, whilst hoping you don't get injuries elsewhere, which given a compressed season is probably unrealistic. (Edit: Hilssner is a strange one, though we haven't seen enough of him)

Completely agree our strength in depth this year is stand out.

I cant ever remember us making 11 changes from a league game to cup game and performing so well against a decent Gillingham team away.(yes i know we lost) But really we should have won by a country mile.

Point being our 2nd team would do damn well in league 1! The squads depth will come into play this season no doubt.

Londonccfcfan

As a born n bred Hounslow boy i would never have have envisaged this scenario 25 years ago.

1)We are playing in same league as them.
2)Us being massive underdogs.
3)Them fighting for promotion to premier league us fighting to stay in 2nd tier.
4)They have a wonderfull new stadium we dont have a home.

Gutted to not be able to go to a local game. However.

See us nicking an undeserved draw. But we will take it.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Saman Ghoddos is Benrahma’s replacement (we had tried to buy him last season, in anticipation of Benrahma nearly joining Villa)

The way we play generally means we will always have chances , just need someone to be in the box! Maupay got 20 goals before we sold him, Watkins was converted from a winger into a striker last season (as we couldn’t get Lyal Taylor at the deadline) and he got 20 plus goals and now this season “in theory” we have a proper striker upfront in Toney and he should be aiming for 20 as well.

Now watch as Saturday’s match ends 0-0
We have Godden and Tyler Walker mate they both are aiming for 15-20 goals 😉

Skyblueweeman

This is a bit weird. Fine call it 9 players, I really don’t see how it changes the point being made.

We’ve spent our budget and it’s not made a difference to the team. I’d rather we bought in two Hamers than Hamer Walker Sheaf and Hilßner if the latter three are going to sit on the bench because they aren’t as good as the L1 players we’ve got.

Yeah, let's start judging everyone after 4 games....

We're adjusting at a no doubt tougher league. Arguably the most competitive league on the planet. Hamer has undoubted quality. Sheaf has undoubted quality. The other two aren't fit enough yet.

Remember when everyone was writing off McNulty? He took longer than 4 games to get going but get going he did because he was a good player.

People need to have more faith in the best management team we've had in a lifetime.

shmmeee

Yeah, let's start judging everyone after 4 games....

We're adjusting at a no doubt tougher league. Arguably the most competitive league on the planet. Hamer has undoubted quality. Sheaf has undoubted quality. The other two aren't fit enough yet.

Remember when everyone was writing off McNulty? He took longer than 4 games to get going but get going he did because he was a good player.

People need to have more faith in the best management team we've had in a lifetime.

Its nothing to do with faith in the management team or writing people off after four games. It’s about The fact the first team hasn’t changed from last year aside from one signing to replace our POTS. And whether “the model” works when you’ve made such a jump in quality.

Jesus, I’m on record as saying I’d keep Robins even if we lost 46 games this season, how you’ve twisted it into lack of faith in the management team I’ve no idea.

SlowerThanPlatt

Fisher did say it wasn’t viable at Championship level - the only clubs our players can realistically go to for a large amount of money is a Premier League one.

So they’re going to have be at least as good as the Bournemouth team we played

fernandopartridge

Its nothing to do with faith in the management team or writing people off after four games. It’s about The fact the first team hasn’t changed from last year aside from one signing to replace our POTS. And whether “the model” works when you’ve made such a jump in quality.

Jesus, I’m on record as saying I’d keep Robins even if we lost 46 games this season, how you’ve twisted it into lack of faith in the management team I’ve no idea.

We were 5 points ahead in the league when the season ended early, it seems an odd argument to make that the league winners are a League 1 team when they're clearly better than everybody else, significantly so than most. It is arguable that we'd assembled a squad that was better than the level it played out, if untested at the level above.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I've read through your comments and I think you make a very reasoned argument.

It is something I have thought about too and it does concern me. The only thing I would say is that it is still very early at the moment, and a few of our signings have been injured or haven't played much yet. We need to give them some time, as you have said. If we have spent that much on Walker then in my opinion we have to actually play him, and I think we need to find a way to play him and Godden together. Considering our formation is a bit under question and the other attacking midfield role next to O'Hare is lacklustre, for me it makes sense to tinker a bit.

fernandopartridge

It's worth also saying that the quality of the team doesn't just improve through new signings, we've got a young squad of players, some of whom are not yet at their peak. Their incremental improvements could be enough to make the difference.

The problem with football today is that everybody insists on wholesale change and new signings to improve, very little focus on getting the most of out of what you've got. No wonder the game in this country is on its arse.

kg82

There’s been 3 players in the team that didn’t play last season (well, one played 10 mins).

shmmeee

We were 5 points ahead in the league when the season ended early, it seems an odd argument to make that the league winners are a League 1 team when they're clearly better than everybody else, significantly so than most. It is arguable that we'd assembled a squad that was better than the level it played out, if untested at the level above.

That’s a fair argument to make. I suppose it comes down to how much better do you think we were than everyone else last year (I’d argue good but not miles ahead as our record of close wins and being built on a solid defence would show, we didn’t annihilate teams last year), and how big the jump in quality is between L1/Championship (I’d argue far bigger than the amount we were ahead of L1 already)

Skyblueweeman

You said this:

I’d rather we bought in two Hamers than Hamer Walker Sheaf and Hilßner if the latter three are going to sit on the bench because they aren’t as good as the L1 players we’ve got.

Do you know the other three are going to sit on the bench all season because they're 'not as good as the L1 players we've got'? No.

Don't you think MR and his team know what they're doing with the players they've brought in? Yes.

There's only one of us who has experience of twisting what the other one has said in previous conversations between us and it isn't me.

ccfcchris

Brentford 3-1
Reason For Brentford vs Coventry Predictions
  • Coventry have collected just one point from their two away games this season.
  • Brentford have won seven of their last ten home league matches.
  • However, the hosts have conceded nine goals in their first four games this term.
It’s been an indifferent start to the new campaign for Brentford, but the Bees are warm favourites to get back on track when they host Coventry City at Griffin Park this Saturday.
Their early wobble is perhaps a little understandable considering they only lost a Play-Off Final a matter of weeks ago – a heartache which came soon after they agonisingly fell short of achieving automatic promotion to the Premier League. Add in the loss of talisman Ollie Watkins to Aston Villa and it becomes easy to empathise with their recent adjustments.
A 2-4 home defeat to Preston North End last time out was a world away from the heights that Thomas Frank’s men were hitting in 2019/20, but this Saturday’s fixture against newly promoted Coventry looks an ideal opportunity for the Bees to return to winning ways.
Like Brentford, The Sky Blues also have four points on the board from their opening four matches, but their efforts so far suggest they’re going to find life tough back at this level.
They were soundly beaten 1-3 by Bournemouth last time out and have collected just one point from away games against Bristol City (2-1) and Barnsley (0-0). Brentford should be too strong this Saturday despite conceding nine goals in their first four outings and we’re predicting a 3-1 triumph for the home side.

shmmeee

You said this:

I’d rather we bought in two Hamers than Hamer Walker Sheaf and Hilßner if the latter three are going to sit on the bench because they aren’t as good as the L1 players we’ve got.

Do you know the other three are going to sit on the bench all season because they're 'not as good as the L1 players we've got'? No.

Don't you think MR and his team know what they're doing with the players they've brought in? Yes.

There's only one of us who has experience of twisting what the other one has said in previous conversations between us and it isn't me.

Clearly you’re bringing some beef over from another conversation. I can’t help you with that.

I mean, yes I do think they aren’t as good, because they’re sat on the bench (or in Hilßner’s case not even getting in the U23s). That would suggest Robins also thinks they aren’t as good *right now*. They may get better with training, but right now they aren’t displacing the existing players. That’s fine when you’re slowly building a squad, but, as the point I’ve repeatedly made that you are desperate to avoid asks: can we afford to not have an increase in first team quality immediately when the quality of opposition has undergone such a step change?

Or as I’ve said repeatedly: does “the model” work for the jump from L1 to the Championship?

Users who are viewing this thread