Match Thread Brentford Match Thread (2 Viewers)

SlowerThanPlatt

Walker is most likely out for the next 4 games so it’s either Godden or Bakayoko. Even as a Bakayoko fan I know which one I’d rather have in my team

SlowerThanPlatt

We need more pace in final third

Can't get all recruitment done in 1 summer

If we manage to survive then I expect next season players like godden Allen Shipley Kelly Mcfadz baka will all be gone

Not because they are bad but we need to improve yesr upon yesr and championship is a league where better quality ks rewuired
Isn’t Walker meant to be fast or faster than Godden?

Winny the Bish

Do we need to look at how Sheffield United play with wing backs?

The two wide central defenders have license to push forward on occasion, McBurnie up top who can win the ball in the air and hold it up if they need to go long, another forward who drops deep to link the midfield, and a midfield 3 who move as a unit and all push forward in attack.

cc84cov

Do we need to look at how Sheffield United play with wing backs?

The two wide central defenders have license to push forward on occasion, McBurnie up top who can win the ball in the air and hold it up if they need to go long, another forward who drops deep to link the midfield, and a midfield 3 who move as a unit and all push forward in attack.
We just need to be braver in possession mate we give the ball away far too easily putting ourselves under pressure,Liam Kelly has to come back in

Skybluebeliever

I dont get why we are only criticising our players come on give them a break man they have been going at it after a 6 month break its no wonder they are not playing to their full ability yet its been said before ‘Its as though the whole team have come back from an injury’. We are playing some big teams for the first time in ages not Newport not Southend where we should expect nothing less than a win. Give them a break let them play their best and enjoy the time we have in the Championship because we can go down it is not impossible.

Fergusons_Beard

Can this response be pinned as the worst possible football related opinion this forum has seen for 4 years?

There's bullshit and then there's this

Piss off Evo.

You saying he’s player of the season so far then?

Didn’t think so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Id change your username if I was you
Why? everyone knows that we arent going up this season and my main point was about people writing 💩 on the threads about players and I bet none of them can do better. Also, you are always looking to make criticism for someone I bet you don’t care who you, It just makes your day to be a grumpy old 💩

Esoterica

I think looking back at yesterday's match which was always going to be difficult anyway... We set up wrong which basically gave us no chance to begin with... I will be the first to say the management got it wrong... because it was clear as day the way they overloaded our midfield was down to the way we set up... It allowed them to effectively pin back our wing backs and keep us deep....

Hopefully lesson learnt..
It presents a problem with Godden. He's already shown he can score at this level but if he's playing up front on his own, or as the striker who is on the shoulder of the centre backs, his lack of pace is causing knock on effects that are contributing to us getting overwhelmed in other areas and then we can't get him the ball enough where he is at his best. There's a big difference between being able to lose your man over 6 yards in the box and leading a line against a quick, athletic back 4.

We've got 6 games in 18 days now. I expect we'll plough on as we are now and try and iron out some of the issues we have in the current formation but wouldn't be surprised to see us playing 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 by the time we come out of the 2 week international break in mid November, at least against the better teams.
Lots of hard work needed on the training ground and there'll be some tough decisions for MR, especially with the CBs if we go to a back 4.

fernandopartridge

It presents a problem with Godden. He's already shown he can score at this level but if he's playing up front on his own, or as the striker who is on the shoulder of the centre backs, his lack of pace is causing knock on effects that are contributing to us getting overwhelmed in other areas and then we can't get him the ball enough where he is at his best. There's a big difference between being able to lose your man over 6 yards in the box and leading a line against a quick, athletic back 4.

We've got 6 games in 18 days now. I expect we'll plough on as we are now and try and iron out some of the issues we have in the current formation but wouldn't be surprised to see us playing 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 by the time we come out of the 2 week international break in mid November, at least against the better teams.
Lots of hard work needed on the training ground and there'll be some tough decisions for MR, especially with the CBs if we go to a back 4.

Pask is quick, stick him up front :D

Esoterica

Pask is quick, stick him up front :D
His first touch was shocking yesterday, poor lad! He looks like he desperately needs a run of 20 games in his preferred position in L1 and now even McCallum, on his wrong foot, is going to preferred to him when covering Dabo. With the competition for places at CB I doubt we'll see much more of him again, which is a pity as there's a player in there. Another example of the club growing faster than it's players.

Do you think Walker was brought in to replace Godden over the course of the season as he gets match fit or to play alongside him? There's no way we spent that much on a player to warm the bench, so I assume (COVID aside) it's a case of getting him up to speed and replacing Godden (Walker mentioned when he signed he'd not had a preseason).

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!

I suspect Robins played Baka as we're playing longer balls out from the back due to being pressed (with higher quality mids/atts than in L1) and wanted the ball held-up to bring Godden into play.

I think he'll bring in McCallum to try the same back five as in L1 to see if we can do wing-backs + the box, then change it, but we'll see.

fernandopartridge

His first touch was shocking yesterday, poor lad! He looks like he desperately needs a run of 20 games in his preferred position in L1 and now even McCallum, on his wrong foot, is going to preferred to him when covering Dabo. With the competition for places at CB I doubt we'll see much more of him again, which is a pity as there's a player in there. Another example of the club growing faster than it's players.

Do you think Walker was brought in to replace Godden over the course of the season as he gets match fit or to play alongside him? There's no way we spent that much on a player to warm the bench, so I assume (COVID aside) it's a case of getting him up to speed and replacing Godden (Walker mentioned when he signed he'd not had a preseason).

I believe Walker is intended to ultimately be first choice ahead of Godden (and maybe it's the case that if we'd signed him on loan in 2019 Godden might not even be here). I believe he's quicker than Godden, so perhaps he's going to try and provide the running behind that we desperately need.

He has looked very rusty whenever I've seen him, rotten luck to now come down with Covid. He'd only started one game since early February, with the long break as well it's like having an entire squad returning from long term injury.

I do think the long break is part of what's behind our sluggish starts to games, fitness wise we're still not at the intensity of established teams so drop off a bit early on and end up pinned back.

shmmeee

I suspect Robins played Baka as we're playing longer balls out from the back due to being pressed (with higher quality mids/atts than in L1) and wanted the ball held-up to bring Godden into play.

I think he'll bring in McCallum to try the same back five as in L1 to see if we can do wing-backs + the box, then change it, but we'll see.

If that was the case you’d think he’d play Baka further forward. I honestly think it was planned to be Walker until he got covid’ed

Mcbean

Seems he’s now some kind of mentor for the kids. Hardly the pacy forward we’re missing mind.
agreed but as a solid player he could help out in all areas with his drive - while Kane for instance is a proven goal scorer he is everywhere on the pitch - ( well in the West ham game anyway )

shmmeee

agreed but as a solid player he could help out in all areas with his drive - while Kane for instance is a proven goal scorer he is everywhere on the pitch - ( well in the West ham game anyway )

If we’re playing strikers for work rate I’d have Baka ahead of Max every time TBH.

I worry we just don’t have the right mix of players for this division. Lacking pace and strength throughout and at the back have limited options other than wingbacks. Neither Dabo nor McCallum looked solid at FB in L1, at best you could play Østigård at RB if we went flat black four, but who on the left and can McFadz handle being in a back four?

Getting very worried about this squad.

Esoterica

Is Biamou beyond redemption ?
You would have thought, if he was going to get some minutes, that yesterday would have been the day. Walker out, Bakayoko struggling to have any effect on the match.
We know he knuckles down and trains hard though as he's been in this position before and ended up back in the team, and Robins is occasionally leftfield, so it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up starting on Saturday if we lose vs Swansea.

Esoterica

If we’re playing strikers for work rate I’d have Baka ahead of Max every time TBH.

I worry we just don’t have the right mix of players for this division. Lacking pace and strength throughout and at the back have limited options other than wingbacks. Neither Dabo nor McCallum looked solid at FB in L1, at best you could play Østigård at RB if we went flat black four, but who on the left and can McFadz handle being in a back four?

Getting very worried about this squad.
In a 4-3-3 the fullbacks should be more like wingbacks anyway because you don't have the natural width. So Dabo and McCallum at FB would be playing their more natural game still. 2 of McFadz and Rose/Hyam would be ok I think, if you had a 3 of Sheaf, Kelly and Hamer in front of them. The FBs would get cover going forward then and then you can play Walker and O'Hare off Godden and rotate Shipley/Allen/Baka in the front 3 when needed.

A lack of pace at CB the biggest concern.

1603106704254.png

Legia Sky Blue

There's a severe lack of pace at centre back if Hyam & McFadzean are the combination. Trouble is while Rose and Ostigaard have more pace they are not as physically strong as the other 2. If only we could morph the best bits of each of them into a perfect centre half combination!!

fernandopartridge

There's a severe lack of pace at centre back if Hyam & McFadzean are the combination. Trouble is while Rose and Ostigaard have more pace they are not as physically strong as the other 2. If only we could morph the best bits of each of them into a perfect centre half combination!!

Pask is the possible answer, but he's not yet been tried in what is purportedly his natural position

Happy_Martian

And speaking of Toney, some on here or Twitter were questioning why Toney was doing the aeroplane celebration after he scored against us. Brentford forum were saying it may have been to do with the blitz :/ Definitely a weird idea (only Sunderland like to bring up the blitz regarding us). But it looks like he just likes taking the piss out of the opposition striker as Sheff Weds scored and the player did some sort of diving routine. And when Toney scored, he did his own version.

Not sure if that's just simple minded, "bantz" or he can't make up his own celebration so has to borrow others :D

Speedies_Chips

And speaking of Toney, some on here or Twitter were questioning why Toney was doing the aeroplane celebration after he scored against us. Brentford forum were saying it may have been to do with the blitz :/ Definitely a weird idea (only Sunderland like to bring up the blitz regarding us). But it looks like he just likes taking the piss out of the opposition striker as Sheff Weds scored and the player did some sort of diving routine. And when Toney scored, he did his own version.

Not sure if that's just simple minded, "bantz" or he can't make up his own celebration so has to borrow others :D
I suspect Toney wouldn’t even be aware of the Coventry Blitz tbh.

Happy_Martian

Toney was taking the piss out of us because we did it last season. It's as simple as that.

Nah, doesn't play into the narrative, Nick ;) Besides, he was copying the Wednesday scorer tonight and he didn't play against them last season.

Happy_Martian

I suspect Toney wouldn’t even be aware of the Coventry Blitz tbh.

While I don't know how knowledgeable Toney is on the history of WWII in the Midlands, even I wouldn't think he would mock the deaths of thousands of innocents during wartime. It was just a poor excuse on the Brentford forum that caught my eye.

Actually logged on to delete my comment before the replies rolled in as the whole subject is moot and certainly pointless but it seems to have attracted more attention than I anticipated.

Users who are viewing this thread