Match Thread Bolton Wanderers vs. Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 10th Aug (1 Viewer)

johnwillomagic

This is the best time to play Bolton his season I think we need to take advantage of this fact and win - I think we will do it,

Team I think MR will plump for.

Marosi
Mason
Dabo
MacFadzean
Rose
Shipley
Westbrooke
Kelly
Hiwula
Baka
Godden

I think we will win 2-1 not as easy as some think it will be!

kg82

Would anyone actually be surprised if we somehow manage to lose today?

Probably for the first time ever, I would be! I’m not taking them lightly, but I just can’t see us losing today. And if we’re serious about promotion, we can’t lose.

Sky Blue Harry H

Just need to concentrate and with McFazdean and Kelly to settle us, we should be too strong. Assuming Allen is out, I would be a bit worried still if anything happened to Kelly, as we would look lightweight there, despite Westbrooke's promising display last week. Wouldn't want to go into many games with Westbrooke, Shippers and Eccles (but then again, one or two of those may come on strong this season)

Frank Sidebottom

Would anyone actually be surprised if we somehow manage to lose today?
If this Bolton team try and play football I think we'll be ok. If they all sit behind the ball we'll struggle to break them down and might have to rely on another Allassani style goal from last week.

baldy

If this Bolton team try and play football I think we'll be ok. If they all sit behind the ball we'll struggle to break them down and might have to rely on another Allassani style goal from last week.

Allasani didn’t score last week

skyblueelephant76

This is the best time to play Bolton his season I think we need to take advantage of this fact and win - I think we will do it,

Team I think MR will plump for.

Marosi
Mason
Dabo
MacFadzean
Rose
Shipley
Westbrooke
Kelly
Hiwula
Baka
Godden

I think we will win 2-1 not as easy as some think it will be!
If he starts Hiwula, Baka and Godden I'll pay £10 to a charity of your choice

steve82

Unless Allen is fit enough for the bench I’d run with this, should have enough to do the job without taking unnecessary risks on players

--------------Marosi-------------
Dabo--McFadzean--Rose--Mason
--Westbrooke---Kelly---Shipley---
---Jobello--Bakayoko--Hiwula----

Subs
Wilson, Hyam, Pask, McCallum, Eccles, Biamou, Godden

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Esoterica

Can't see a youth team having the organisation and footballing nous to park the bus for 90 minutes. Besides, they're - 12 points. They need to win!

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

We're playing a children's team in a professional match. Only being a Coventry fan would make you feel worried.

We should be absolutely murdering them.

steve82

Can't see a youth team having the organisation and footballing nous to park the bus for 90 minutes. Besides, they're - 12 points. They need to win!

Reports suggest one or two played well last week at Wycombe, Zouma a central defender looks strong and composed against i suspect a direct Wycombe. Few senior heads possibly missing may help.

Different opposition tho in a footballing side in blustery conditions has the feel of a 1-0 cup upset ... maybe that’s just the cautious previously scarred side of me talking.

Early clinical goal should settle our nerves

Cannot see Bolton getting 62 points this season to come close to safety

Legia Sky Blue

Great turn out by our fans given the circumstances. Enjoy the day all that are going, and of course celebrate if we win and when we score, but I like to think we would show some empathy with their supporters and their predicament, and leave out the 'banter' for today. Just concentrate on supporting our team. I hope if some of ours try to take the piss out of their situation, that the majority will drown them out.

Legia Sky Blue

Much depends on our attitude to the game. If we don't score early I would worry about it turning into the type of game, like the pre season matches we have against inferior sides like Nuneaton, that we invariably make hard work of. I hope I'm worrying about nothing, but years of being a City fan have taught me to take nothing for granted.

Marty

I've got a quid on 6-0, 7-0, over 5.5 goals, bakayoko hattrick, godden hattrick, McFazdean hattrick.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Last night in a dream I saw a scoreboard that had us winning 7-0 on it!

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

We got three good players out of it last year. Loanees are part of the mix now - 2 or 3 each season.
Plenty of permanent players stay little longer - like JCH
If they are rubbish you are not stuck with them
The most likely way to find wingers
A player like Bright can work his way up the hierarchy - L1, Champ, Prem
Prem Clubs become a source of talent they otherwise could not get access to Armstrong and others now plying their trade in the Championship.
On a cost to quality ratio, usually pretty good
I could go on....

But it also makes long term planning almost impossible. Look at the year we had Kent, Armstrong and Murphy on loan - we looked great. Season after we got relegated. It's too high a level of player turnover.

Plus all the financial advantages favour the teams that already have the money. Player goes out on loan and does well - increases in value for the team he's contracted too, not us. If he's shit we suffer because we're playing a player who's not good enough.

It's a system designed to favour the bigger clubs.

cc84cov

Can see MR staying with the same side as last week,Bolton to make it hard work until the second half feel we will take over then 1-0 win.

shmmeee

But it also makes long term planning almost impossible. Look at the year we had Kent, Armstrong and Murphy on loan - we looked great. Season after we got relegated. It's too high a level of player turnover.

Plus all the financial advantages favour the teams that already have the money. Player goes out on loan and does well - increases in value for the team he's contracted too, not us. If he's shit we suffer because we're playing a player who's not good enough.

It's a system designed to favour the bigger clubs.

I think it gives you a chance to get a player well above what you normally would for a season. Let’s be honest young players from our own academy of the same quality rarely last more than a season or two before leaving for better things anyway.

At this level squad turnover makes a bit of a mockery of the idea of building a squad over several seasons anyway. We’re likely to finish this season with only one or two players in the first team that were here last year (Mason and Kelly).

I like the try before you buy thing in theory as well, but the buy bit always seems to be locked in (see JCH).

Gibbo

Just because we have done well with some of them, Henderson, Armstrong, Murphy etc, it doesn't mean that the loan system is good for the game.

Look at the league in February. Clubs that have been struggling bring in two or three on loan and transform their season. Good for them, but it's to the detriment of other clubs.

OK, we get to see emerging talent, but again to the detriment of our own developing youngsters.

As to your " the most likely way to find wingers", a strange comment that I cannot understand. Surely that could just as easily be the best way to find goalkeepers/ strikers/ et al.

Cost to quality for us, I agree, but again at a detriment to the game as a whole. It distorts things, and allows the Premier League teams to stockpile talent. If there was not a loan system, they would have to play at the level to which they were suited.

Why is it to the detriment? Any club can get loans, just like any club can buy or find talent any other way. It is just a way of finding players. And they are usually better than the norm for the division so they up the standard. This is a competition you know, it is meant to be to the detriment of other clubs. That's the point

Wingers are in short supply and lose their key ingredient - speed- over time. Loanees are by definition young, and as they are from top clubs, usually more skillful than the L1 norm. See Kent, Thomas, Murphy even Maguire-Drew (who is doing well for Orient incidentally). How many full time permanent wingers who are any good can you name who currently play in L 1, let alone L 2

I just cannot see any downside (bar 1 possibly - see below). When you say "detriment" how does this show itself? This a cut throat competitive league with a lot of money at play, as it is meant to be, it is not a Sunday afternoon league.

The short duration could be seen as a negative in terms of team development, but the hard fact is that "team development" is a myth. Robins has completely turned over his team in 24 months. I think only Kelly played last week from Notts County two years ago. Not least we the fans demand churn - to buy and sell. In this context a year loan is a medium term investment

Gibbo

Unless Allen is fit enough for the bench I’d run with this, should have enough to do the job without taking unnecessary risks on players

--------------Marosi-------------
Dabo--McFadzean--Rose--Mason
--Westbrooke---Kelly---Shipley---
---Jobello--Bakayoko--Hiwula----

Subs
Wilson, Hyam, Pask, McCallum, Eccles, Biamou, Godden

You have two front men on the bench. One too many. I'd have Will Bapaga for Biamou

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think it gives you a chance to get a player well above what you normally would for a season. Let’s be honest young players from our own academy of the same quality rarely last more than a season or two before leaving for better things anyway.

At this level squad turnover makes a bit of a mockery of the idea of building a squad over several seasons anyway. We’re likely to finish this season with only one or two players in the first team that were here last year (Mason and Kelly).

I like the try before you buy thing in theory as well, but the buy bit always seems to be locked in (see JCH).

But the only reason you can't get a player of that quality is because the top teams hoard them. If they didn't have that ability these players that get shipped out on loan would be playing down the league anyway.

Maybe thats more an issue of squad numbers than loans, but if top teams didn't have the option to send hoards of youngsters/reserves out on loan to develop or get game time would they be less willing to sign them in the first place? If they can't play then they'll just stagnate and never develop their potential and/or transfer value.

Users who are viewing this thread