Match Thread Birmingham match thread (4 Viewers)

no_loyalty

Football is a mad game
Had we hung on last night the forum would have been eulogising the whole team
As it was we were twice pegged back at the death and then lost on the lottery of penalties
It's a shame and very disappointing but there were a lot of positives on the night so we mustn't look for scapegoats but instead push on and try to win the division

OPERATION CHAMPIONSHIP!

Sky Blue Pete

Yes I was there, I'm a season ticket holder and have also seen all the away games either live or online.

The reason we didn't win tonight is Biamou didn't take his two chances after we were one up.
Gosh that’s an interesting opinion. It’s rarely down to one person. Westbrooke Miss was equally as bad. The reason we drew was because their winger can’t cross

Adge

Most of the disappointment for me has now gone away and I hope our focus is now geared towards the Bolton game.
We couldn’t have really played any better or done much more-must say though that our penalties were awful!
At the end the reception for our players leaving the pitch tells you everything you need to know about how we performed over the 2 ties against “better” opposition.

Londonccfcfan

Most of the disappointment for me has now gone away and I hope our focus is now geared towards the Bolton game.
We couldn’t have really played any better or done much more-must say though that our penalties were awful!
At the end the reception for our players leaving the pitch tells you everything you need to know about how we performed over the 2 ties against “better” opposition.

Hope there isnt a hangover.

Allen looked like he had a cracking game, hope the silly things like missing a penalty doesnt have any negative impact on Walsh and Allen etc. Going forward.

Astute

I am struggling to understand what I have just read.

Some have been saying for ages how hard it will be if we get promoted. Championship sides are much stronger than us. A few don't even want promotion yet as we would go straight back down.

But I like what I have seen. Playing 120 minutes wasn't the best thing to happen. Losing on pens was the worse result in that way. But losing on pens after 2 games against a side who were at home both games and are supposed to be a lot better than ourselves? We even made them look very ordinary both games.

Now we can concentrate on getting promotion. Every other side in Division three has lost at least twice the amount of games that we have. February and we have only lost 3 league games. We have games in hand that could put us top. We are now winning away. Nobody wants to play us.

Yes we have just been knocked out of the cup. But we wouldn't have won it. So not heartbroken. Some need to breathe in and relax.

willz121

I feel as though whilst the players will be disappointed to have gone out after being in the lead twice, that a potentially big defeat away at Leicester in the next round would have been more damaging, especially with it being sandwiched by the Sunderland and Ipswich games, which are a whole lot more important.

Robins will surely be drawing the positives from last night's performance, and that of the first tie as well. I was gutted that we'd lost last night, but this morning, the bigger picture is much more apparent.

Tommo1993

On another note, Birmingham away is always a shit show. Can’t get up and down stairs for fans not being in seats.

pusbccfc

On another note, Birmingham away is always a shit show. Can’t get up and down stairs for fans not being in seats.

Their fans were awful. Was like a home game for us.

Astute

I think that it is really hard to have an objective opinion about a player whose performance you haven’t seen. For some, Biamou and Bakayoko will never be given credit no matter how they play. Last night they were both excellent, both scored but still not good enough for some.
Another good team display. And against players who are supposed to be a fair bit better.

But we are Coventry City. We need scapegoats.

Ring Of Steel

I feel as though whilst the players will be disappointed to have gone out after being in the lead twice, that a potentially big defeat away at Leicester in the next round would have been more damaging, especially with it being sandwiched by the Sunderland and Ipswich games, which are a whole lot more important.

Robins will surely be drawing the positives from last night's performance, and that of the first tie as well. I was gutted that we'd lost last night, but this morning, the bigger picture is much more apparent.
I agree with every word aside from the fact I wasn't gutted- a moral victory and one less game where we ran the risk of being shown up badly is all good for me.

Ring Of Steel

Did you see many people smiley and happy clappy walking out of the ground?
I wasn't there. But even before the game I'm pretty sure I went on record as saying that what ended up happening was alright by me.
Weird though, when the goals went in I was up & celebrating, some things are hard wired in.

Astute

I agree with every word aside from the fact I wasn't gutted- a moral victory and one less game where we ran the risk of being shown up badly is all good for me.
I agree mainly..... But would have been good to see how far off we are to a top Prem side. There would have been no shame whatever. But yet another half decent performance would have been great.

But now we are out I don't care. We can concentrate on the important aim. We won't have players dreaming of the next game in the cup but concentrating on the next league game. They will still be disappointed today. But hopefully more determined if possible to keep the league run going.

Ring Of Steel

I agree mainly..... But would have been good to see how far off we are to a top Prem side. There would have been no shame whatever. But yet another half decent performance would have been great.

But now we are out I don't care. We can concentrate on the important aim. We won't have players dreaming of the next game in the cup but concentrating on the next league game. They will still be disappointed today. But hopefully more determined if possible to keep the league run going.
I agree- just any premiership side apart from.... them :) They would have done their utmost to make sure there was plenty of shame.

Nick

Administrator
I wasn't there. But even before the game I'm pretty sure I went on record as saying that what ended up happening was alright by me.
Weird though, when the goals went in I was up & celebrating, some things are hard wired in.

Not many were walking out overjoyed, pretty much everybody was pissed off with the way we lost it.

Did you predict 2 last-minute equalisers for them and a loss on penalties? You should have put a bet on if you saw that happening.

Astute

Did you see many people smiley and happy clappy walking out of the ground?
Do you mean at the moment when we had just suffered a defeat when it looked like we had won?

I was pissed off at that time. But perspective makes a difference. The league is much more important than a cup we would never win. And it was another performance to be proud of.

Ring Of Steel

Not many were walking out overjoyed, pretty much everybody was pissed off with the way we lost it.

Did you predict 2 last-minute equalisers for them and a loss on penalties? You should have put a bet on if you saw that happening.
I didn't predict anything. And that way of losing is easier to take on the chin than a 3-0 tonking which would have been a depressing sign that even if we did get promoted we'd be whipping boys. The way it did happen leaves no doubt that if we go up we're ready to hang with teams like that. And we no longer have to play Ipswich & Sunderland with a likely demoralising severe hammering in the middle.

Nick

Administrator
Do you mean at the moment when we had just suffered a defeat when it looked like we had won?

I was pissed off at that time. But perspective makes a difference. The league is much more important than a cup we would never win. And it was another performance to be proud of.

The moment we conceded in the very last minute of normal time and then did the same in extra time?

Of course people are going to be annoyed at the way we lost the game.

Astute

I did put bets on. Got 12/1 before their first goal on them qualifying. Got 10/1 before their second goal on qualifying. Their second goal was a fluke. But yes let's hammer the lads for a fluke. It seems to be what you are doing. Let's forget about everything else.

Ring Of Steel

The moment we conceded in the very last minute of normal time and then did the same in extra time?

Of course people are going to be annoyed at the way we lost the game.
Personally I would have been way more down about a 'normal' defeat.

Nick

Administrator
I didn't predict anything. And that way of losing is easier to take on the chin than a 3-0 tonking which would have been a depressing sign that even if we did get promoted we'd be whipping boys. The way it did happen leaves no doubt that if we go up we're ready to hang with teams like that. And we no longer have to play Ipswich & Sunderland with a likely demoralising severe hammering in the middle.

Not really, there's not much worse than 2 last-minute equalisers and losing on penalties. Especially when both goals were pretty preventable if we didn't let them get a cross in.

Ring Of Steel

I did put bets on. Got 12/1 before their first goal on them qualifying. Got 10/1 before their second goal on qualifying. Their second goal was a fluke. But yes let's hammer the lads for a fluke. It seems to be what you are doing. Let's forget about everything else.
exactly. Complete loss of persepctive. Its seemingly ok when other teams field reserve teams for cup games indicating how little they care, now we're going around distraught that we aren't going to get the chance to get smashed up the M69 between 2 of the biggest games we've played in years, after having outplayed a team from the division above apart from about 90 seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread