Big Cyrille (1 Viewer)

Otis

Definitely not handball that.

That's the most annoying thing with football. One decision and it can completely alter your future.

ccfc_ukr

quite fitting that the origins of Regis means "of the king". Having read many of the tributes etc you really do get a sense of the magnitude and impact his career had in and outside of the footballing world.

runner

It's been so long since I watched the DVD ... I had forgotten, genuinely, that the legend that was Big Cyril actually scored, albeit disallowed ... must get the DVD out and watch again really soon ... RIP Cyrille Regis ... sadly left us way too soon ...

clint van damme

Ha ha, yeah. The kids one ‘stars of the future’. Went out in the first round (my player was shite) and almost ballsed up the trick shot. Even wore a t-shirt with CCFC on it.

you'll always be a star to me mate!!

chiefdave

Does anyone remember a (League) cup semi final we played at Forest. Cyrille took the ball down on his thigh in the penalty area, and the ref awarded a penalty for handball?
That was a shit day. Dodgy penalty and a goal that shouldn't have stood from a free kick.

Plus it was the day Mandela got released and the game was live on TV. Absolutely pissing it down, our fans on an uncovered terrace and they kept delaying kick off as ITV had the news on.

chiefdave

Anyone know of any other tribute programmes for Cyrille that are scheduled, or that I have missed and might find on catch-up TV?
7:30pm on Mondays is a half hour slot on BBC1 for regional programs. With the club he played for you'd think BBC Midlands would put something together.

CCFC54321

I’ve cried when I lost my dad recently for the first time in 25 years and for some reason went again tonight. Feel a bit stupid but it made me blub!

My wife said to my daughter “He was our Coventry hero when we were younger.” Couldn’t of said it any better.

aloisiwouldhavescored

That was a shit day. Dodgy penalty and a goal that shouldn't have stood from a free kick.

Plus it was the day Mandela got released and the game was live on TV. Absolutely pissing it down, our fans on an uncovered terrace and they kept delaying kick off as ITV had the news on.
Yes, we were there for that game and remember Cyrille's (alleged) handball and the goal from the free kick when they pushed the wall. Gutted and a horrible day. We were all off work/school next day with streaming colds.

Nick

Administrator
Yeah I wish that was true for all kids.

It should be and if not their parents should be asked some questions as I think the kids are going to struggle with life growing up. All comes down to integration and not being ignorant.

She spends all day every day with kids from different races, different religions and different skin colour and she just sees them as her friends, knows they have different religions and beliefs and that's that. It doesn't even come into it or cross her mind.

I don't doubt there will be some scummy little twats who's parents should never have been allowed to breed who listen to what their parents say and copy them.

Calista

Caught up with the pre-match item from last night's Chelsea / Norwich game, including Dion getting upset, and right enough it got me going again. One thing is clear this week, there's not a soul in the world of football who doesn't regard Cyrille as a wonderful player and the greatest of guys.

oucho

Cyrille ended his career before I started watching football but it's clear to me from the history I have seen that his most notable contribution to the game went far beyond goals and football performances on the pitch (as great as those were), but the enormous degree of dignity and graciousness he showed by getting on with his career in the face of the vile baiting the likes of him, Batson, Cunningham, Barnes and Viv Anderson faced.

Once that hatred and racism was faced down, the road cleared for generations of non-white footballers. Just think how much poorer the game would have been without the likes of David James, Rio Ferdinand, Dion Dublin, Sol Campbell, Des Walker, Paul Ince, Ashley Young, Jermain Defoe, Andy Cole, Les Ferdinand, Dwight Yorke, Brian Deane, Chris Armstrong, Chris Powell, Raheem Sterling, Daniel Sturridge, Aaron Lennon, Marcus Rashford, Jesse Lingard, Theo Walcott, Jermain Jenas, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Andros Townsend, Ian Taylor, Robbie Earle, Ian Wright.........to name just those off the top of my head! All those and so many more owe a debt of thanks to pioneers like Cyrille for carrying that initial torch through the aggro and showing a path which others have followed and widened as the years have gone by.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
I started work in 1986, my first season ticket and only missed about 10 games in total between then and 1990, they were unbelievable years and he was brilliant for us and such a gentleman.
It is going to be a very emotional day today, I sat on an Edinburgh tram with tears rolling down my cheeks this week when I heard the news which I couldn't fathom, he wasn't a close personal friend, I've met him a few times but somehow, that bond as a football fan on your first hero and remembering those touches, those smiles, those goals and his celebrations along with mine just culminated in something unexpected.

It's a miserable wet day but let's give him a nice send off and show him that he was as much loved by us as any other club.
Sing his name loud and proud and remember that arm waving in the air when he ran away after scoring a goal.

Someone who helped this club to win a trophy that many will never experience, he gave me so much joy as a fan in those early years.

Big C - A true hero, a gent and a sad loss to football, society and his family.

oucho

Does he have one of the "legends" slots on the Ricoh Tesco stand outside wall, along with the likes of JH, Sillett, Oggy etc? If so I guess there will be floral tributes? If not maybe we can agree with Wasps to add him.

Users who are viewing this thread