Big Cyrille (1 Viewer)

ajsccfc

so Saturday should it be
Minute's Silence
Minute applause
or a minute of the whole crowd shouting "Cyrille, Cyrille"

I think the latter would be perfect

I can see the minute's applause and then the chant breaking out a number of times through the day

clint van damme

When my nan married my grandad who came over from Jamaica her entire family disowned her in the late 50s. Fuck them.

I’ve met Jim Davidson when I was on big break in 1998. “Shut that c**t kid up now” during a rehearsal. Among other things, the blokes a twat.

Last comment on it as I don’t want to go too off topic.

you were on big break?!!

tisza

The stories of racist abuse back then sickens me. These people are still about, its not even that long ago. Some of the stories I hear from my mum would turn your stomach.

I’m not old enough to remember Cyrille playing but he’s in everyone’s top 5 list I’ve spoken to. Legend.

RIP.
Remember being at Chelsea. Beat us 6-2. They had a young black lad in midfield(seem to remember his name as Keith Jones). Anyway he played a blinder and there was a large section in that tall stand to the left of us booing him/monkey noises.
Clearly remember in the 70s outside Highfield Road and many other grounds people openly selling NF newspaper.

ajsccfc

I hope this forum automatically resizes images, otherwise I'm sorry

1255.jpg

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Hope it’s ok to drop this on this thread. Or feel free to start it as one of its own Nick

There will be a Memory Book in the Family Zone on Saturday between 1.30pm - 2.30pm. All fans are welcome to come and sign and share their memories. the book will then be passed to Cyrille's family.

SkyBlueCRJ

I never realised Jason Roberts was the nephew of Cyril? Both have quite similar styles in many respects, although it's a non-brainer who was the better footballer.

oucho

I never realised Jason Roberts was the nephew of Cyril? Both have quite similar styles in many respects, although it's a non-brainer who was the better footballer.

Cyrille Regis dies: 'Pioneer to many, but to me he was just my uncle' - Jason Roberts

Good piece there by Jason Roberts. It's also very telling when the likes of Dion and Brian Deane, big PL players of their era, are moved to tears by his passing. He must have meant to much to them in the development of their own careers.

There will be a Memory Book in the Family Zone on Saturday between 1.30pm - 2.30pm. All fans are welcome to come and sign and share their memories. the book will then be passed to Cyrille's family.

Hope you have more than one book or you might have a long queue of people waiting to sign. Ideally you want as many people to write as much as they like, which might not be possible if you you only have one book. You might therefore consider creating a webpage for people to leave comments / thoughts, which you could then compile into book form then present to the family. That'd mean you could give more memories to the family as obviously no queueing / time pressure to reduce the amount people can contribute.

ecky

Cyrille had a brother I remember called John who was an athlete 100 200 400m I think very quick and muscular like cyrille

The Great Eastern

it really was a different world - and people were very uneducated then
it is strange and sad to look back and think what was normal!

I am not talking about some of the openly nasty things, but just look back at 70s main stream comedy and entertainment

Love thy neighbour
Alf Garnett
Mind your language
Jim Davidson
Black and white minstrels etc, etc
Not happy with Til Death Us Do Part being classified along with the other programmes mentioned. From its first episode, it highlighted bigotry and was clearly aimed at making people change their opinions on matters concerning black people, gays etc etc... Writer Johnny Speight, a labour party lover, was always delighted to tell the uninitiated that the real piss taking point of the programme was aimed at people exactly like Alf Garnett.
Got to agree with many others that Cyrilles double header against Spurs was one of my top moments supporting the City. I was on the Kop that day and when the big man put that one away, everybody near me went into near hysteria. A quite unique moment. Thank you Cyrille.
Gone but never to be forgotten.

Captain Dart

Cyrille had a brother I remember called John who was an athlete 100 200 400m I think very quick and muscular like cyrille
I think they were cousins.

Moff

John was his cousin, a brilliant 200m runner. His brother Dave was also a football pro, I seem to recall he played for Notts County amongst others.

Adge

A great line from Dion yesterday in that sad interview-
“We stood on Regis’ shoulders”
Nothing else needs to be said.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

RIP Cyrille. Really puts football in perspective, thoughts to his family, 59 is far too young to leave us. A wonderful player and an even better person. A true Coventry City great. PUSB

oucho

I was always a bit put out when the media described the 1987 side as "the team without stars" being "all-star Spurs"; Cyrille Regis was a bloody big star in that team and the reaction to his death shows that.

Esoterica

Would have been nice if the team could wear the '87 kit on Saturday too, although probably unrealistic given the timescales.

JimmyHillsbeard

I was standing next to him a few weeks ago and looked fit and healthy. So bloody sad.

Something tells me we should do something at MK Dons in the FA cup as well as Saturday? This guy contributed to one of the best days this city ever had with the FA cup.

Any suggestions?

A simple “One Cyrille Regis” chant for the entire 9th minute of the Cup match.

Otis

And on the subject of the Cup would today be an appropriate time to ask again just why on the earth the perfectly good Goal Cyrille Regis scored in the 1987 final was disallowed?

You know something, I honestly cannot remember that.

Could you describe the incident.

Calista

And on the subject of the Cup would today be an appropriate time to ask again just why on the earth the perfectly good Goal Cyrille Regis scored in the 1987 final was disallowed?
I’m pretty sure that Cyrille himself said afterwards that he accepted the decision. There was a slight nudge on the defender by Houch as he flicked it on – but the defender was very weak and I reckon the goal would have been given 8 or 9 times out of 10.

Such a shame, because Cyrille would have scored in a Cup Final. But I’m a believer in fate, and had the goal been allowed at that stage (first half I think) it would have been a different game and maybe a different outcome.

The big man got to lift the FA Cup and I’m so glad.

Bidda

I’m pretty sure that Cyrille himself said afterwards that he accepted the decision. There was a slight nudge on the defender by Houch as he flicked it on – but the defender was very weak and I reckon the goal would have been given 8 or 9 times out of 10.

Such a shame, because Cyrille would have scored in a Cup Final. But I’m a believer in fate, and had the goal been allowed at that stage (first half I think) it would have been a different game and maybe a different outcome.

The big man got to lift the FA Cup and I’m so glad.

Does anyone remember a (League) cup semi final we played at Forest. Cyrille took the ball down on his thigh in the penalty area, and the ref awarded a penalty for handball?

Esoterica

Does anyone remember a (League) cup semi final we played at Forest. Cyrille took the ball down on his thigh in the penalty area, and the ref awarded a penalty for handball?
I'll let you decide but watch the pushing in the wall for the 2nd!

Users who are viewing this thread