Big Cyrille (1 Viewer)

Captain Dart

Nice banner change BTW Nick.

Sub

coventry-city-cyrille-regis-79-panini-football-90-football-trading-sticker-28527-p[ekm]296x397[ekm].jpg
12115-zoom.jpg
Mi9tBjNP_400x400.jpg

rob9872

My first real hero, remember being so excited when he signed. RIP Big Cyrille.

It's about Cyrille today not CCFC, but please media remember he played as much for us and won silverware, not "former West Brom & England player" that I've already heard in a number of bulletins. We may not be Premier League any more but he was as much ours as WBA.

Johnnythespider

Just heard this at work, truly shocked and saddened.
RIP Cyrille and thanks for the memories.

Skyblueweeman

Shocked and upset. Glad I got to see him play, even if it was just a couple of times as a nipper. I remember watching him at White Hart Lane once...still remember the shouts of 'Cyrille, Cyrille, Cyrille'. Saw him last year in one of the lounges at the Ricoh...that massive smile still beaming across his face.

Nice sentiments from one of my other favourite City players growing up, Kevin Gallacher:

"I was a young lad coming down to England and he helped me along. His physical presence took the centre halves away and allowed me to take the glory and score the goals.

"He just wanted to help you along and settle you into the club. He did the kind things, he put an arm around you. Every time you saw him at the ex-players' stuff at Coventry he always wanted to speak to you, he was such a genuine fella," said Gallacher.

"He was one of the masters, along with Brendon Batson, who helped to change the face of football. It was fantastic and that's why he got a lot of respect from fellow professionals, what he did to help the other side of football."

RIP Cyrille.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
RIP Big Fella. So many great footballing memories. Feeling gutted.

R.I.P. Big C. So gutted to hear the sad news, as others on this thread have mentioned he was my hero too, in the good ol' days at Highfield Road. Met him briefly at the Ricoh before the Cup game against WBA a few years ago which I won't forget either, absolute legend.......

Ashdown

Gutted ! Of all the '87 crowd to go first, who would have believed it, especially knowing how poorly George Curtis has been for quite a few years now. That 1987 cup run and final, turned my life around when I was going through a difficult time and I will always be grateful to that squad for such life changing memories. Especially loved his goal at Hillsborough, somehow at that point I really did start to believe we could get to Wembley and win it. RIP Cyrille !

Sub

• Nice piece on the BBC

8:42
    Cyrille Regis dies at the age of 59

Phil McNulty

BBC Sport chief football writer

Cyrille Regis was not simply an outstanding striker for West Bromwich Albion and an FA Cup winner with Coventry City in 1987 – he was a role model and a trailblazer for black footballers.

Regis, along with Brendan Batson and Laurie Cunningham at West Brom and the likes of Viv Anderson at Nottingham Forest, broke down barriers and demonstrated what could be achieved at a time when high-profile black players were a rarity in Britain.

And Regis, who has died aged 59, did it the hard way coming through the Isthmian League at Hayes before being spotted and signed for The Baggies by then manager Ronnie Allen in May 1977.

It was under Ron Atkinson that he achieved the status that made him a legend at The Hawthorns, a striker of explosive, raw power and finishing who could unsettle any defender and any defence. Regis was powerful in the air, quick and a scorer of any type of goal, spectacular or scrappy.

Regis was a gentle man away from football but such was his threat on the field, particularly when subjected to heavy physical attentions from opponents, that opposing managers used to specifically instruct their players not to upset him or annoy him in any way as the results could be devastating. In full flight, Regis was a magnificent sight.

For all the glorious memories he created at West Bromwich Albion, Regis is also remembered fondly at Coventry City, where he was a member of the side that won the FA Cup in 1987, beating Tottenham 3-2 at Wembley.

Regis also played for Aston Villa, Wolves, Wycombe Wanderers and Chester City later in his career but it was at West Brom and Coventry where he enjoyed his greatest glory.

He will be remembered as one of the most significant footballing figures of his generation, not just for his impact on the field but his wider influence off it.

upload_2018-1-15_9-43-21.gif
    Getty Images
    Article Reactions
    Article share tools

• Copy this link
    Read more about these links.Read more about sharing BBC content externally

SkyBlueRuffian

My first real hero, remember being so excited when he signed. RIP Big Cyrille.

It's about Cyrille today not CCFC, but please media remember he played as much for us and won silverware, not "former West Brom & England player" that I've already heard in a number of bulletins. We may not be Premier League any more but he was as much ours as WBA.
That was doing my head in this morning too, you would think they'd mention Coventry too seeing that he won the FA Cup with us.

NorthernWisdom

That was doing my head in this morning too, you would think they'd mention Coventry too seeing that he won the FA Cup with us.
Radio 5 certainly have. tbf wherever I've seen it they've mentioned West Brom and us, and not bothered with the end of his career.

So glad for his sake that Sillett and Curtis got a system sorted that allowed us to see just how good he could be. Dublin and Gibson may have scored more, but Cyrille's always been the star for me.

fatso

So sad to hear the news today.
A true gentleman of the game, and a real credit to his family and the clubs he represented. He played at a time when being a black footballer was very challenging, but he rose above all the nonsense and achieved cult status, and international recognition. Rest in peace big man, thanks for the memories, you’ll never be forgotten.

Users who are viewing this thread