Big crowds at the weekend (1 Viewer)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

By public transport?
Why would I use public transport ?
I fail to see how Eastbourne adds a significant tally to Brighton's attendances. Have you got the figures ?

Liquid Gold

Why would I use public transport ?
I fail to see how Eastbourne adds a significant tally to Brighton's attendances. Have you got the figures ?
The initial point was that Brighton has an out of town stadium and they don't suffer with their attendances.

The counter to that is that they have a much larger urban area than us and that their stadium is easily accessible by public transport to the wider area.

You may not want to use public transport but if there was a train that went from Rugby to the arena in a quick time before and after games then I bet my left bollock out attendance would increase with people from Rugby in more attendance.

The problem isn't the stadium's location, it's that the travel plan around it is a joke.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

The initial point was that Brighton has an out of town stadium and they don't suffer with their attendances.

The counter to that is that they have a much larger urban area than us and that their stadium is easily accessible by public transport to the wider area.

You may not want to use public transport but if there was a train that went from Rugby to the arena in a quick time before and after games then I bet my left bollock out attendance would increase with people from Rugby in more attendance.

The problem isn't the stadium's location, it's that the travel plan around it is a joke.
Brighton doesn't have a bigger urban area.

Tommo1993

Suppose it depends on Brighton alone or Brighton & Hove. Are we officially classed as Coventry & Bedworth as one conurbation?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

That figure of 474,000 includes Worthing and Littlehampton and swells the figures by around 150,000. Worthing is 12 miles from Brighton and Littlehampton more.
The 359,000 for Coventry I'm assuming is up to the city boundary. It does not include Rugby, Warwick, Leamington , Nuneaton , Bedworth . Factor these in, which are within the same distance or less as Worthing is to Brighton and our catchment area is substantially more.

Liquid Gold

That figure of 474,000 includes Worthing and Littlehampton and swells the figures by around 150,000. Worthing is 12 miles from Brighton and Littlehampton more.
The 359,000 for Coventry I'm assuming is up to the city boundary. It does not include Rugby, Warwick, Leamington , Nuneaton , Bedworth . Factor these in, which are within the same distance or less as Worthing is to Brighton and our catchment area is substantially more.
Mate just read the fucking link.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Mate just read the fucking link.
I have read the link. It includes Worthing and Littlehampton. Perhaps you should read the fucking detail.

Liquid Gold

I have read the link. It includes Worthing and Littlehampton. Perhaps you should read the fucking detail.
So is their urban area bigger or not?

I don't give a shit how far it is, the question was, for clarification, who has a bigger urban are.

Bromley and Watford are really far apart, still the same urban area.

Who has a bigger urban area?

Grendel

it is nonsense to be fair

fernandopartridge

I'm afraid i'm of the opinion that our home support is poor in comparison to "similar" clubs (and i am aware that it seems to be slowly improving.

How far back do we go with the excuses... the past 20 years, granted have been pretty shocking... but our support was often poor through the "golden era" of the late 90's... do we go back to blaming all seater stadia in the 80's? That's 40 years ago, for the non-maths fans out there.

The potential has always been there but its never been achieved. At some point you just have to hold hands up and say we aren't well supported. In fact i doubt we'd sell out the Ricoh every week outside of a first season back in the Premier League, unless the absolute impossible happened and we were challenging for Europe regularly.

Our away following is mightily impressive though imo.

Our average in the late 90s was pretty good and comparable to peer clubs like Leicester, not sure what you're on about

Grendel

It isn't nonsense.

People go on about Newcastle having great crowds for their city size when that doesn't include Gateshead.

Urban area is a much better indicator of a team's pull than just within city boundaries.

it really isn’t. The towns such as Nuneaton leamington rugby have a drive time similar to Worthing. It says Bournemouth has almost as much fan potential as Sheffield

Alan Dugdales Moustache

It isn't nonsense.

People go on about Newcastle having great crowds for their city size when that doesn't include Gateshead.

Urban area is a much better indicator of a team's pull than just within city boundaries.
So you need to include the towns around Cov if you're including Worthing etc, in the Brighton otherwise the comparison is nonsense.
It's not rocket science.

Grendel

So you need to include the towns around Cov if you're including Worthing etc, in the Brighton otherwise the comparison is nonsense.
It's not rocket science.

i think Sky Blue Kid has hacked his account

Liquid Gold

It's not rocket science.
So then if you do that for Cov do that for Brighton and you get Eastbourne Hastings etc. with much better transport links directly to the stadium.

letsallsingtogether

I live in Nuneaton and yes there are Villa fans, Leicester fans and others too but Coventry City in the main and rightly so
I know was taking the piss.
Funny he goes to one game a year quoting cant get a ticket.

Grendel

So then if you do that for Cov do that for Brighton and you get Eastbourne Hastings etc. with much better transport links directly to the stadium.

Which urban area are Nuneaton (which has a direct train to the ground) leamington rugby Warwick and Stratford in?

Grendel

they really don’t have good links to the stadium and Eastbourne to Brighton is a journey I’ve made many times. You’ve got Crawley as 186,000 urban area - it’s a 20 minute journey to the Amex

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Hastings is 36 miles from Brighton..

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Are you intentionally misunderstanding what an urban area is?
No but clearly to include Eastbourne and Hastings shows that you haven't a clue.

Liquid Gold

No but clearly to include Eastbourne and Hastings shows that you haven't a clue.
Hastings and Eastbourne are incredibly well connected by public transport directly to their stadium. Much better than Rugby, Stratford and Warwick are to ours.

They also don't have any other league teams to support.

Liquid Gold

I think there are a few good indictors in how you can judge a team's catchment area.

1. Urban area
2. Satellite towns
3. Public transport between those towns
4. Rival clubs

Based on those I am not surprised they bring in more punters than we do.

Grendel

Are you intentionally misunderstanding what an urban area is?

i think you are misunderstanding it’s a natural association with a football clubs fan potential.

Sick Boy

This is nonsense. Eastbourne is 24 miles away . I can get from the centre or rugby to M6 Junction 3 in under 20 minutes , less time than it takes some people in Coventry to get to the Arena.
If you travel more than 20 miles to the west of Brighton then you're almost in Portsmouth territory .
Have you lived there?

Grendel

Hastings and Eastbourne are incredibly well connected by public transport directly to their stadium. Much better than Rugby, Stratford and Warwick are to ours.

They also don't have any other league teams to support.

who do leamington Nuneaton rugby Kenilworth and Warwick have to support? Or are urban areas more likely travel? The public transport is nonsense. If you lived in binley woods you’d have less ease of transport than Nuneaton

Travs

Our average in the late 90s was pretty good and comparable to peer clubs like Leicester, not sure what you're on about

What i was referring to is that we regularly couldn't sell out Highfield Road against even the very top teams back then.... We did a lot, but i can recall many occasions where we couldn't sell out against Liverpool, Leeds, i'm sure at least once against Man Utd.

Regardless of whether it was comparable to Leicester etc (which indeed it was), it still wasn't very good (imo of course)

Grendel

Have you lived there?

Ive worked there and frequently travelled between Hastings Eastbourne and Brighton - it’s a much bigger hike than leamington.

Sick Boy

Ive worked there and frequently travelled between Hastings Eastbourne and Brighton - it’s a much bigger hike than leamington.
Yeah that route is horrendous but there are decent sized towns to the north like Burgess Hill and Haywards Heath.

Liquid Gold

My old man used to live in Eastbourne and we regularly got the train to Brighton.

You can get from Eastbourne to the AmEx in 30 minutes by train with services actually running to accommodate the football.

We’re not competing with that because our train service is shocking and not running with the games.

Users who are viewing this thread