Big crowds at the weekend (1 Viewer)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I'm afraid i'm of the opinion that our home support is poor in comparison to "similar" clubs (and i am aware that it seems to be slowly improving.

How far back do we go with the excuses... the past 20 years, granted have been pretty shocking... but our support was often poor through the "golden era" of the late 90's... do we go back to blaming all seater stadia in the 80's? That's 40 years ago, for the non-maths fans out there.

The potential has always been there but its never been achieved. At some point you just have to hold hands up and say we aren't well supported. In fact i doubt we'd sell out the Ricoh every week outside of a first season back in the Premier League, unless the absolute impossible happened and we were challenging for Europe regularly.

Our away following is mightily impressive though imo.
Spot on. It is poor. One of the factors I think is that we have never had a sustained period of success in the top flight since the Jimmy Hill era. The odd couple of years here and there where we didn't talk of relegation and even dared to finish in the top half. Crowds were up under Gordon Milne in the late 70s when we played some truly great football and were a top half team for a couple of seasons. Again some success under sillett / Curtis but in the context of all those 30 odd years in the top flight there was very little "success" . It's notable that since Robins came back we have had a sustained period of improvement and crowds are probably slightly higher than I'd have anticipated.

Brighton continually get good attendances after a few years in the premier League. It's an out of town stadium. Brighton has a smaller population and I'm sure many of residents are not necessarily from Brighton. If they can sell out then we should be able to match them .

Liquid Gold

Spot on. It is poor. One of the factors I think is that we have never had a sustained period of success in the top flight since the Jimmy Hill era. The odd couple of years here and there where we didn't talk of relegation and even dared to finish in the top half. Crowds were up under Gordon Milne in the late 70s when we played some truly great football and were a top half team for a couple of seasons. Again some success under sillett / Curtis but in the context of all those 30 odd years in the top flight there was very little "success" . It's notable that since Robins came back we have had a sustained period of improvement and crowds are probably slightly higher than I'd have anticipated.

Brighton continually get good attendances after a few years in the premier League. It's an out of town stadium. Brighton has a smaller population and I'm sure many of residents are not necessarily from Brighton. If they can sell out then we should be able to match them .
Again, conurbation size is more important than city size

Brighton & Hove - 474,485
Coventry - 359,262

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Alan Dugdales Moustache

That population is just the city of Coventry.
Brighton and Hove 277,000. How far are you going out from the centre of Brighton in this comparison ?
Nuneaton, Warwick, Leamington and Rugby are much closer to Cov than urban populations in towns around Brighton .

Last edited:

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Brighton don't even play in Brighton..they don't have the luxury of being able to attract large walk up crowd on match day and yet they retain their support in a stadium flanked by fields of cabbages.

pusbccfc

Sick Boy

Brighton and Hove 277,000. How far are you going out from the centre of Brighton in this comparison ?
Nuneaton, Warwick, Leamington and Rugby are much closer to Cov than urban populations in towns around Brighton .
Are they?
Portslade, Southwick, Rottingdean and Peacehaven are all much closer than 3/4s of those.
If you’re going that far out you’re getting towards the likes of Worthing, Burgess Hill, Lewes and Eastbourne as well.

NorthernWisdom

They finished in the top 5 the year we got relegated from the Prem didn't they?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
A lot of teams worked on getting people connected to their clubs while we had McGinnity taking down the photos of the cup winning side, and designing a ridiculous badge, before we had SISU rock along with their overt secretiveness and desire to move the club out of the city at every opportunity. We have actually been trying to build bridges, and winning games with good football also helps. but to hook people so they stay week-in week-out will take a bit longer still.

CCFC54321

I'm afraid i'm of the opinion that our home support is poor in comparison to "similar" clubs (and i am aware that it seems to be slowly improving.

How far back do we go with the excuses... the past 20 years, granted have been pretty shocking... but our support was often poor through the "golden era" of the late 90's... do we go back to blaming all seater stadia in the 80's? That's 40 years ago, for the non-maths fans out there.

The potential has always been there but its never been achieved. At some point you just have to hold hands up and say we aren't well supported. In fact i doubt we'd sell out the Ricoh every week outside of a first season back in the Premier League, unless the absolute impossible happened and we were challenging for Europe regularly.

Our away following is mightily impressive though imo.
Just look at the Bournemouth game in April. All the one game a season gang popped out for the bank holiday match in their old city shirts they had pulled out the bottom of the basket (last worn in May 2018) ... not really interested in the game as they spend 50% of the match getting drinks or chatting and trying work out what row they are sitting in.

Will only go for it's with a big crowd from work, someone's getting there ticket, giving them a lift there and back.... the least they can do to make an effort. That's the difference between someone who loves the club and has it in their DNA or doesn't in my opinion.

Pisses me off as the supports there... the fire in them or the passion for the club isn't.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Just look at the Bournemouth game in April. All the one game a season gang popped out for the bank holiday match in their old city shirts they had pulled out the bottom of the basket (last worn in May 2018) ... not really interested in the game as they spend 50% of the match getting drinks or chatting and trying work out what row they are sitting in.

Will only go for it's with a big crowd from work, someone's getting there ticket, giving them a lift there and back.... the least they can do to make an effort. That's the difference between someone who loves the club and has it in their DNA or doesn't in my opinion.

Pisses me off as the supports there... the fire in them or the passion for the club isn't.
Again it comes down to expectation. When we were in the prem the expectation was we would try to survive. We won the fa cup of course which has forever elevated the stature of the club but cup runs have pretty much been dire and yet for me they are extremely important in getting fans excited and into the stadium. Although our recent Wembley appearances may seem rather low key to the test of the football world it has given our supporters real hope which still prevail.today in terms of that little bit of extra sale in season tickets.
You only have to look at Leicester to see what a bit of success can achieve in terms of fan loyalty.
Only a handful of clubs like Sunderland can command huge crowds when they are really poor.

Last edited:

Grendel

Are they?
Portslade, Southwick, Rottingdean and Peacehaven are all much closer than 3/4s of those.
If you’re going that far out you’re getting towards the likes of Worthing, Burgess Hill, Lewes and Eastbourne as well.

Nuneaton is 10 minutes drive from the ground

Evo1883

People sometimes forget that we have a team that spent 108 years in the top flight in villa that have won the top flight 7 times , the European Cup and the fa cup 7 times 20 minutes up the M6

They are easily accessible to a huge chunk of Warwickshire..

By the time we reached the top flight in 1967 family allegiances had been established

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Half of Nuneaton support the villa 😂
A lot support Cov. Rugby is a Cov town..I'm assuming so are Leamington and Warwick..

Alan Dugdales Moustache

People sometimes forget that we have a team that spent 108 years in the top flight in villa that have won the top flight 7 times , the European Cup and the fa cup 7 times 20 minutes up the M6

They are easily accessible to a huge chunk of Warwickshire..

By the time we reached the top flight in 1967 family allegiances had been established
By " we" do you mean you're a villa fan ?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

They do but I think bedworth is more cov than Nuneaton.. rugby is alot of cov .. but villa are the main club in the west Midlands and much of Warwickshire
Not in Rugby, Leamington or Warwick and half of Nuneaton though. That's a lot of Warwickshire
They are in Daventry , Northants, courtesy of Ford motors.

pusbccfc

These are the supporters that will get into the habit of going regularly if we ever get to the PL and may end up staying around even after relegation.

CV22SBA

Not in Rugby, Leamington or Warwick and half of Nuneaton though. That's a lot of Warwickshire
They are in Daventry , Northants, courtesy of Ford motors.
Southam also has a supporters club which runs coaches to all the games. Even the village of Dunchurch on the outskirts of Rugby took a coach to Sunderland last week.

CV22SBA

Got my tickets last night. Only one corner and behind goal left

24k I'll predict
They'll be 7K or more empty seats between blocks 4 & 14 so no chance in the world of there being 24K. We'd have to pretty much sell out the rest of the stadium.

Liquid Gold

The Brighton conurbation is bigger than Cov.

They have to deal with an out of town stadium but it’s well connected by public transport. Not just to Brighton either, you can get there by train from Eastbourne, Hastings, Lewis etc much easier than you can from Warwick/rugby by public transport than you can the arena.

They also have a huge catchment area. There is no other league club until palace (I can’t remember if Crawley are still in the league) or Portsmouth.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

They have to deal with an out of town stadium but it’s well connected by public transport. Not just to Brighton either, you can get there by train from Eastbourne, Hastings, Lewis etc much easier than you can from Warwick/rugby by public transport than you can the arena.

They also have a huge catchment area. There is no other league club until palace (I can’t remember if Crawley are still in the league) or Portsmouth.
This is nonsense. Eastbourne is 24 miles away . I can get from the centre or rugby to M6 Junction 3 in under 20 minutes , less time than it takes some people in Coventry to get to the Arena.
If you travel more than 20 miles to the west of Brighton then you're almost in Portsmouth territory .

Liquid Gold

This is nonsense. Eastbourne is 24 miles away . I can get from the centre or rugby to M6 Junction 3 in under 20 minutes , less time than it takes some people in Coventry to get to the Arena.
If you travel more than 20 miles to the west of Brighton then you're almost in Portsmouth territory .
By public transport?

Londonccfcfan

Their parking situation is a shambles worst of any ground I can remember.

You park at the designated park and ride car parks. And it literally takes hours to get on a bus back to your car park.

Peter Billing Eyes

Brighton isn’t even a football town. Half the population are ex-pat Londoners or artsy people from other parts of the country who couldn’t give a monkey’s about sport.

Users who are viewing this thread