Big crowds at the weekend (3 Viewers)

Hobo

It seems a good year for season ticket sales for many clubs. Ipswich have sold more than us and Stockport a very impressive 6,000.

Our fan base has been traditionally fickle and I still think we are still coming out of the Northampton/Birmingham situations.

Progress is progress and if we can get back to around 20,000 average at home it would be good. Consistent performance and good results on the pitch help.

SlowerThanPlatt

It seems a good year for season ticket sales for many clubs. Ipswich have sold more than us and Stockport a very impressive 6,000.

Our fan base has been traditionally fickle and I still think we are still coming out of the Northampton/Birmingham situations.

Progress is progress and if we can get back to around 20,000 average at home it would be good. Consistent performance and good results on the pitch help.
I read Ipswich had sold 17,000, know they’ve got nothing around them but impressive for fourth year in League 1

slowpoke

Boro 26K
Ipswich 26K
Sheff Wed 26K
Bradford 19K

we really should be hitting these numbers each week after such a good couple of seasons. The team deserve it.
Playing away from Cov, twice, has its consequence, fans stopped going got out of the habit it’s difficult to get them back, we have done well to get back it 18/19000 regular home support and I think it will grow but wil still take time.

Pricey1984

Ideally those numbers would be great. The thing is though that a lot of damage was done by years of mismanagement, mediocrity, moving away from cov twice and dropping down divisions. Plenty have still never come back. Plus it is expensive in this economic climate. So to go from 6000 to 20,000 in 5 years is quite amazing in my opinion

Kieranp96

As much as it pains me to say not many people in cov support cov, I mean we have like 200k students current and previous who stay so their out of the list, we have kids that grew up with united Chelsea clan city ect who follow them, no one can give a fuck about cov it the sense of only around 20% of cov support cov, obviously financially some
People struggle also so.

shmmeee

The top 3 are all better supported clubs than us, in my lifetime anyway. Our average will be around 20,000 again if we do reasonably well

If we have a similar season to last year in terms of “success” I’d expect 22/23k average.

Also the fact that with segregation and the size of the away end realistically 26/27k is about our max capacity.

CV22SBA

As much as it pains me to say not many people in cov support cov, I mean we have like 200k students current and previous who stay so their out of the list, we have kids that grew up with united Chelsea clan city ect who follow them, no one can give a fuck about cov it the sense of only around 20% of cov support cov, obviously financially some
People struggle also so.
Sadly true. One thing I noticed yesterday there were a lot of coaches from Nuneaton, Leamington, Rugby etc probably more than from actually Coventry itself.

slowpoke

People struggle also so.
That’s wrong, there’s plenty of support for Cov and growing my grand kids all Sky Blue daft season ticket holders have a favourite top premier team but certainly not supporters.

Londonccfcfan

Boro 26K
Ipswich 26K
Sheff Wed 26K
Bradford 19K

we really should be hitting these numbers each week after such a good couple of seasons. The team deserve it.
Equally there was some generally poor attendances sub 15k in the championship.

Londonccfcfan

Potentially this season we could average more than Ipswich. But that will be partly due to ipswich being a bit of an outpost.

fatso

It's a slow process, we've been in league 2 not that long ago, followed by seasons in exile. The fact that we've sold record numbers of season tickets shows good progress, but it will take time to get a full ground regularly.

Evo1883

The top 3 are all better supported clubs than us, in my lifetime anyway. Our average will be around 20,000 again if we do reasonably well

How old are you platt ? Out of curiosity

Before this point in our history Screenshot_20220801-135736_Chrome.jpg
Which is 2013

We had a higher all time average than Ipswich pre 2013 its now 800 behind ..

So unless you are 16 your statement isn't true

The other 2 fair enough no complaints

Evo1883

Took Norwich 15 years of 24000 plus a week to overtake our all time average .

Naturally we had the worst period in our history at the same time to help that

Ashdown

I’ve been incredibly impressed with our support recently. I think it has become fashionable again to support Cov . We went through an awful period for about 10 years where it was just all the same old faces. The amount of 16-35 year olds back following us is a really positive indication of a supporter base on the up !

CV22SBA

I’ve been incredibly impressed with our support recently. I think it has become fashionable again to support Cov . We went through an awful period for about 10 years where it was just all the same old faces. The amount of 16-35 year olds back following us is a really positive indication of a supporter base on the up !
Yeah definitely a younger element following. Stopped at Woodall services about 8am on Sun and there was a coach load of Cov, none of them were older than 20.

letsallsingtogether

Took Norwich 15 years of 24000 plus a week to overtake our all time average .

Naturally we had the worst period in our history at the same time to help that
Same as leicester we had bigger crowds then them but prem football and our troubles have changed that.

Moff

Yeah definitely a younger element following. Stopped at Woodall services about 8am on Sun and there was a coach load of Cov, none of them were older than 20.

Lots more younger fans now, like you and Ashdown have pointed out, and it’s great to see.

My son who used to come up to games with me, started getting some of his mates from Rugby come to the games last year, this year through the club have got six new season ticket holders, all 20 and 21.

Last edited:

Grendel

How old are you platt ? Out of curiosity

Before this point in our history View attachment 25582
Which is 2013

We had a higher all time average than Ipswich pre 2013 its now 800 behind ..

So unless you are 16 your statement isn't true

The other 2 fair enough no complaints

Thing is on these “big club” debates you primary quote attendance but there’s an says selective points on history. Our attendances in the 60’s and up to 74 were very high and I believe in the late 60’s one of the highest.

That’s all gone and never will be got back - the other telling thing for us is the new ground never massively swelled crowds without a lot of price promotions - there was a blip when we arrived but it started to sharply decline. Teams like Southampton have benefitted and teams like Norwich and Ipswich have grew a fan base over recent times as we did in the 60’s

Sick Boy

I can remember there being something like 9,000 there for an opening day game in the PL in mid-90s.

Evo1883

Thing is on these “big club” debates you primary quote attendance but there’s an says selective points on history. Our attendances in the 60’s and up to 74 were very high and I believe in the late 60’s one of the highest.

That’s all gone and never will be got back - the other telling thing for us is the new ground never massively swelled crowds without a lot of price promotions - there was a blip when we arrived but it started to sharply decline. Teams like Southampton have benefitted and teams like Norwich and Ipswich have grew a fan base over recent times as we did in the 60’s

Point I made was correct , throughout his life Ipswich haven't had bigger attendances,unless he's 16 then yes .. I never mentioned who was a bigger club

Evo1883

I can remember there being something like 9,000 there for an opening day game in the PL in mid-90s.

The average attendance in the top flight is over 35000 today .. in the late 80s early 90s was just under 20,000..

When did football stadia become all seater , I know that impacted attendances

Evo1883

I think he put in one too many 'noughts'

Obviously not 200k ..

Coventry University alone had 35000 students as of 2017 , unsure of todays numbers as it has grown in the last 5 years ..

And then we have the university of Warwick.

So it's not ridiculous to suggest we have around 60,000 University students I'm the city .

What % of them is from coventry I have no idea

Sick Boy

The average attendance in the top flight is over 35000 today .. in the late 80s early 90s was just under 20,000..

When did football stadia become all seater , I know that impacted attendances
I think we're a similar age - I can remember there being standing at HR for the first couple of seasons I went up.

Users who are viewing this thread