Bidwell (3 Viewers)

fatso

400 championship games in the prime of his career. Called it early on but some people like a figure to hate. Seems the pile on has moved to Allen or Godden now. Bidwell definitely up there for PotS so far.

Tbf whole defence is more solid. Doesn't have the attacking threat of a Maatsen from last season or the pace of JCS and we're arguably less balanced with the left footers, but we never kept back to back clean sheets let alone 3 on the spin. 3.5 since Rose went off injured at Luton 2nil down. Was he the problem? Is it a case of Dom who? Really cant wait to have this team with Hamer and O'Hare available too.
But according to some on here, Dom is the new Bobby Moore now he's moved to Blackburn!

Great_Expectations

Chalk and cheese for me from last season. Not helped by his competition being the polar opposite player to him and one more likely to catch the fans eye as an attacking outlet.

He’s been absolutely solid this year, added tenancy and aggression to our team, and some street smarts - particularly enjoyed him getting in the refs face after that horror tackle on Sheaf.

Offensively he’s fairly predictable; he’s never going to take players on and will choose the safer option, but he gets into good positions and is always an option. Even by taking up space he’s helping spread the opposition.

Looks like a good signing and it increases my confidence when he’s playing - didn’t think I’d be saying that last year.

slowpoke

He is a good and proper full back & was from the day he joined good aggressive defender can cover centrally if needs be and can get forward & support midfield, just some on here just love to knock new signings, I happen to think Todd Kane is similar but there may be other issues with him.

skyblu3sk

He doesn't take many players on but picks a smart pass then gets in to a good position to receive again. That's a valid attacking style too in my book. Not every player needs quick feet to put the opposition on their arses. We would be very predictable if we had that both wings.

Pezza

Utterly clueless

He plays like a left back, less so like a wing back - he isn't good enough going forward, his technique for both shooting and passing is poor, crossing is average and isn't quick enough.

Defensively he is decent.

That's my point of view and based on what I've seen this season.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

400 championship games in the prime of his career. Called it early on but some people like a figure to hate. Seems the pile on has moved to Allen or Godden now. Bidwell definitely up there for PotS so far.

Tbf whole defence is more solid. Doesn't have the attacking threat of a Maatsen from last season or the pace of JCS and we're arguably less balanced with the left footers, but we never kept back to back clean sheets let alone 3 on the spin. 3.5 since Rose went off injured at Luton 2nil down. Was he the problem? Is it a case of Dom who? Really cant wait to have this team with Hamer and O'Hare available too.

I get your point and yes the signs have been better in the last 3 games – however I’m still unconvinced by Panzo's reading of the game defensively and Doyle will make errors through the season, which is to be expected at 19. With Rose out of form and seemingly no-one in the U23s to step up, the lack of depth and experience for another 38 games concerns me

We still need to replace Hyam in January – beyond summer 2023 we have zero CBs under contract which is very worrying.

rob9872

Worry about next season, next season. For now we concentrate on this one. Anyhow, we'll need new players when we're in the Premier League :)

Grendel

It's looking like a virtually new team next season isn't it. Sell Hamer, O'Hare, *and* Gyokeres, lots out of contract, and use the cash and wages to bring in just about everybody!

Its time to bring back Bobby Gould

How have we got into this mess

NorthernWisdom

Its time to bring back Bobby Gould

How have we got into this mess
I can kind of see the logic of an overhaul, that we have lots of league one level, and a few assets who need to be moved on if they're not to end up going for nothing. I also remember reading somewhere that players stop listening to managers after a while, so if the manager doesn't want to be changed, he has to change the players really!

Problem is, if it's too big a shift then it ends up too disjointed and all a bit of a gamble. We'd have no defence bar Bidwell, midfield would be Allen and Sheaf and, and attack would be Godden and Tavares.

We probably need a few more than that hanging around!

Grendel

I can kind of see the logic of an overhaul, that we have lots of league one level, and a few assets who need to be moved on if they're not to end up going for nothing. I also remember reading somewhere that players stop listening to managers after a while, so if the manager doesn't want to be changed, he has to change the players really!

Problem is, if it's too big a shift then it ends up too disjointed and all a bit of a gamble. We'd have no defence bar Bidwell, midfield would be Allen and Sheaf and, and attack would be Godden and Tavares.

I would think there is a distinct possibility Hamer will not leave and go back to Holland on a free. Imagine if the other 2 decided to do the same. Dave Bamber get out of retirement now

NorthernWisdom

I would think there is a distinct possibility Hamer will not leave and go back to Holland on a free. Imagine if the other 2 decided to do the same. Dave Bamber get out of retirement now
Is always a risk, Westwood chose to see out his contract after all.

Always a chance that we sell them the massive purchases we'll be making, get them to sign extensions, and then flog them when they realise we were lying of course ;)

shmmeee

Assuming we dont also sell Sheaf, which is a possibility, I make it this we’re building on top of if the big three and all out of contracts go:

Moore
?? ?? ??
Dabo Allen Sheaf Bidwell
Palmer
Godden Tavares

Of course we could not take up the clause on Dabo and sell Sheaf as well, maybe Moore might want to go too.

Realistically I think we’ll struggle to get much for Hamer and he’ll end up going on a free the season after, and we’ll renew Fadz and Kelly and probably pick up a CB in Jan.

Losing Hilßner Dacosta, Walker, Waghorn alone would be a huge help to the budget though.

NorthernWisdom

Assuming we dont also sell Sheaf, which is a possibility, I make it this we’re building on top of if the big three and all out of contracts go:

Moore
?? ?? ??
Dabo Allen Sheaf Bidwell
Palmer
Godden Tavares

Of course we could not take up the clause on Dabo and sell Sheaf as well, maybe Moore might want to go too.

Realistically I think we’ll struggle to get much for Hamer and he’ll end up going on a free the season after, and we’ll renew Fadz and Kelly and probably pick up a CB in Jan.

Losing Hilßner Dacosta, Walker, Waghorn alone would be a huge help to the budget though.
I forgot Palmer in there tbf. Also hadn't realised we had an option on Dabo, which you'd assume would be taken up as much he seems good to have around the place. I'd expect McFadzean and Kelly to go tbh. Rose had his chance to play himself into a new contract, but looks to have blown it at present.

shmmeee

I forgot Palmer in there tbf. Also hadn't realised we had an option on Dabo, which you'd assume would be taken up as much he seems good to have around the place. I'd expect McFadzean and Kelly to go tbh. Rose had his chance to play himself into a new contract, but looks to have blown it at present.

Just wonder if he’ll want them around to build the squad ethos as reliable captains who he trusts.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

I highly doubt Kelly will be renewed, especially given injury record plus reported high wages

McFadzean may be worth another year but we shouldn't be aiming to rely on him at the heart of the back line for 40+ games next season - which it seems we are this year

SBT

Moore
?? ?? ??
Dabo Allen Sheaf Bidwell
Palmer
Godden Tavares

Does this side get out of League One? I'd assume yes if you can keep the midfield together, but big question marks up front and literally question marks at the back!

Grendel

Does this side get out of League One? I'd assume yes if you can keep the midfield together, but big question marks up front and literally question marks at the back!

Most would want to leave if in League 1

SBT

Most would want to leave if in League 1

Yeah, Bidwell and Sheaf would surely be sold, and I doubt we could afford to keep Palmer. The scale of the rebuild next year is ridiculous whether we stay up or not.

Grendel

Yeah, Bidwell and Sheaf would surely be sold, and I doubt we could afford to keep Palmer. The scale of the rebuild next year is ridiculous whether we stay up or not.

I would assume (hope) that there are relegation clauses as there were promotion clauses in all contracts - though I do wonder about Hamer and O Hare.

If the reduction matches the increase it would be around 40% so no one is wanting to stick around for that - our wage bill is around £17 - £20m - that would have to be reduced to around £6 - £7m if relegated

shmmeee

You could make an argument for McFadzean, and also as a stand-in when needed. Kelly's played so little recently that you'd struggle though wouldn't you, unless you saw something in him to make him worthy of player-coach.

Suppose it depends what Kelly wants but i get the impression Robins rates him and so wouldn’t be surprised to see us offer him another year.

slowpoke

I would assume (hope) that there are relegation clauses as there were promotion clauses in all contracts - though I do wonder about Hamer and O Hare.

If the reduction matches the increase it would be around 40% so no one is wanting to stick around for that - our wage bill is around £17 - £20m - that would have to be reduced to around £6 - £7m if relegated
I hope the relegation clause is sisu f””k off, hopefully before xmas.

shmmeee

We’re not going to get relegated this year you lemon.

Grendel

We’re not going to get relegated this year you lemon.

I didn’t say we are but clubs have to project such scenarios as you can’t make that a fact can you? So players will have to have clauses or if that did happen what then?

shmmeee

I didn’t say we are but clubs have to project such scenarios as you can’t make that a fact can you? So players will have to have clauses or if that did happen what then?

If we go down we likely sell £20m of talent and release an entire team of players. That’s where we start from. Well be fine financially. Well also be at a level we can sustain ourselves without owner input.

NorthernWisdom

If we go down we likely sell £20m of talent and release an entire team of players. That’s where we start from. Well be fine financially. Well also be at a level we can sustain ourselves without owner input.
He is right about the clauses though. It was one of the main things that shafted us when coming down from the top flight, not thinking to put such clauses in. We've alsoonly had two seasons at this level, so it wouldn't be a total surprise to the outside world if we went down. If Bidwell and Moore didn't have such a clause that would be negligent, given they're probably not cheap.

Grendel

I admire your optimism - the values would drop considerably on relegation and hamer and Gyokeres could easily sign overseas deals in advance and leave for free

shmmeee

I admire your optimism - the values would drop considerably on relegation and hamer and Gyokeres could easily sign overseas deals in advance and leave for free

They could, but they’d still have to play a season in L1 and likely get us promoted single handed.

Palmer, Sheaf, O’Hare, Hamer, Gyokeres, even Godden, Bidwell and Moore could fetch an not insignificant fee to a newly promoted club (few hundred K). That’s likely £5m off your wage bill right there. Plus the rest that are out of contract.

Then either lose or resign on L1 terms: Wilson, Fadz, Dabo, Walker, Kelly who can all do a job at that level.

You’re likely looking at Jamie Allen being your highest paid player and only U23 players otherwise like Tavares, Reid and Eccles. Plus even at very pessimistic estimates £10m coming in.

shmmeee

Well this is really cheering me up

It should do, if we’re going to go down this is our best season to do it, before we have to sign basically a whole squad on Championship wages and likely 3 year deals.

Grendel

It should do, if we’re going to go down this is our best season to do it, before we have to sign basically a whole squad on Championship wages and likely 3 year deals.

you are ignoring the fact two players with the most value could decide to negotiate A deal and leave for free the following season

Grendel

The squad will have relegation clauses on the contract whoever we sign you would hope

Users who are viewing this thread