Bids for McNulty / McNulty to Reading (5 Viewers)

ccfcway

If we're able to get a 7 figure sum for a guy we picked up on a free last year and who hasn't really proven himself at L1 level then it's good business if that gets reinvested in another striker.

spot on !

cooperskyblue

Clubs don't talk about "meeting our valuation" unless they are looking to sell, or at the least, resigned to a player leaving.

We don't know the club have said that, that is just what Sky Sports have speculated and I imagine that 500k is well under our valuation of him. Every play at every club has a value. I believe he will stay .

Terry_dactyl

As much as I’d want him to sign a new contract and stay with us, if it’s a choice between selling him now or losing him for nothing next year, I think I’d look to sell him. It’s a ruthless business.

better days

I believe that McNulty isn't pushing for a move
As far as I know Robins and his team have little interference from SISU and I expect that to continue while we have success. Robins is in a very strong position with the owners as his stock will be sky high
I suspect negotiations have been going on with McNulty and his representatives but don't forget we have SMCP financial fair play regulations to meet
We will make the best offer we can
If this is multiplied by four or five times by a Championship club then Robins will hold out for at least 7 figures in any transfer fee
I guess he's already planning for the different options
The club is in a very strong position whatever happens
Go back 18 months and where we are now would have been unimaginable
Players want to come here now
The goal for this year is another promotion so we have to look at the big picture

NorthernWisdom

Whilst that maybe true it would be nice to get out of the constant rebuilding every summer.
In an ideal world(!) we'd probably go the Charlton under Curbishley model, where the best players were sold to enable the squad as a whole to be improved, while also using some of the cash to pay running costs.

In our world, there's probably some pay-off where the cash at least allows us to hold out for better deals for other players in the squad.

Brylowes

I think the main thing is the unrest, if we were to give McNulty an extra 100k a year then other players would be asking questions about their pay rises. You would have thought there would have been a promotion clause in most of the new contracts to say they get a raise if we go up a league anyway.

3167EF3100000578-0-image-a-32_1456008078518.jpg

Have a look at the gap between League One and the Championship average wage (This is from 2014 though), it's a massive jump.
We’re 1st Division players really only earning 25k a year in 1985 ?

Sky Blue Pete

Great stats those. Shows how daft the relegation was to league 2. Also that we should be able to compete relatively pain free

Gibbo

I think the main thing is the unrest, if we were to give McNulty an extra 100k a year then other players would be asking questions about their pay rises. You would have thought there would have been a promotion clause in most of the new contracts to say they get a raise if we go up a league anyway.

3167EF3100000578-0-image-a-32_1456008078518.jpg

Have a look at the gap between League One and the Championship average wage (This is from 2014 though), it's a massive jump.
Not sure SISU would like us to be a middling Championship team

JulianDarbyFTW

Not sure SISU would like us to be a middling Championship team

I think they would. We'd be back where they found us, and on a better financial footing than when they took over. Sure, we have the whole Ricoh issue hanging over us, but that aside the club would be in a relatively positive position. And it only takes one fluke of a season to reach the promised land of milk and honey.

Colin Steins Smile

I think they would. We'd be back where they found us, and on a better financial footing than when they took over. Sure, we have the whole Ricoh issue hanging over us, but that aside the club would be in a relatively positive position. And it only takes one fluke of a season to reach the promised land of milk and honey.
Correct - In terms of control over the players wages, etc, but we've lost the option of purchasing 50% of the Ricoh from the Higgs Charity, when we went into administration. The lack of access to 7 day a week revenues from the ground is a barrier to any takeover.

Magwitch

Isn’t Tim Fisher on record when we were in the championship basically saying we can’t afford to be in it, what’s changed ?

fernandopartridge

I forgot that perhaps he had a point

I think the point is that the club's turnover in the Championship is at the mid-lower end anyway, as the club has limited revenue streams, that said, apparently the club turned over £15m in 2011/12 which is better than quite a few current Championship clubs (those figures were in the JR but don't sound right to me?)

wingy

I think the point is that the club's turnover in the Championship is at the mid-lower end anyway, as the club has limited revenue streams, that said, apparently the club turned over £15m in 2011/12 which is better than quite a few current Championship clubs (those figures were in the JR but don't sound right to me?)
Did we sell anyone noteworthy?

wingy

We had one year where it was £11M I think with losses the same ?

torchomatic

We’re 1st Division players really only earning 25k a year in 1985 ?
£70K in today's money. Also stuff was a lot cheaper then too.

GaryJones

He signed a 2 year contract last July when he came.
One year left.

Sky Blue Harry H

He said 1 more year, plus the club has a further year option, so that's 2 years - good news, and surely puts us in a strong position to hold out. We can always look at selling (if he wants to go) in a year's time and still get something for him. Also, offer him a few more quid now to keep him sweet. Absolutely no point selling now.

Manchester_sky_blue

He said 1 more year, plus the club has a further year option, so that's 2 years - good news, and surely puts us in a strong position to hold out. We can always look at selling (if he wants to go) in a year's time and still get something for him. Also, offer him a few more quid now to keep him sweet. Absolutely no point selling now.
Oooh interesting, that changes things considerably!

Sky Blue Harry H

Oooh interesting, that changes things considerably!

Agree - with only one year left, the club has to decide to stick or twist if he didn't sign a new contract; the plus one year option in favour of the club kicks that decision another year down the line. Pointless selling now.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Not surprised McNultys heads been turned sure he’ll be off 12 months time and he’s only scored 6 goals in L1 for us he’ll be forgotten about, sure he’ll want to cash in on his career whilst his stocks high!

Users who are viewing this thread