Bids for McNulty / McNulty to Reading (3 Viewers)

SkyBlueCRJ

Exactly, He goes nowhere unless we say so, and unless Robins has a replacement already lined up.

Well that's one way for the club to get the fattest transfer request going. We're living in an age where football clubs suffer from player power. Players today can dictate a move at the click of their fingers. Simply having them under contract is now more often than not, not enough to keep hold of that said player.

Nick

Administrator
Lets hope the CET are in the process of typing up an apology article for him! They were single handily doing their best to unsettle him before the bids came in!

Probably working with the Council's PR team to spread rumours ;)

Robinsboy

Every year we lose players, get in new ones and make heroes or villains of them. I believe MM is happy at City because he has a manager who believes in him. But, if he went Robins is shrewd enough to find a replacement.

just a side note the CT always starts printing these kind of rumours when a certain so called journalist is in the building and I believe he is covering the CCC vs SISU vs Wasps trial.

Irish Sky Blue

Lets hope the CET are in the process of typing up an apology article for him! They were single handily doing their best to unsettle him before the bids came in!
I think the article was saying the opposite of that. Mortimer was urging him to stay at City saying the grass isn’t always greener. The fact the story was aired was only a reflection of the speculation on McNulty’s future among fans, many on here debating if he will stay for example.

NorthernWisdom

Ponticelli is a long way off the quality of McNulty at the moment
It was half flippant as those baying for Ponticelli to get game time might get their wish...

But he us the natural replacement for McNulty. We're not in a position where we can let players' contracts run out and they leave for free, so we need to resolve McNulty this window, either with a new contract, or with a fee paid for him.

Magwitch

I’m not unduly worried about this will he or won’t he go saga. Whatever happens Robins will know now and probably has for weeks, gone are the days of out of the blue swoops to snatch your star player. Should McNulty go MR will have a contingency plan of that I’m certain.

Sky Blue Harry H

We can do that!! Just gave Ogogo a 3 year deal
The length of the contract won't be a problem. Yes we would have to significantly increase his salary, it's just that others would be able to increase it by a lot more. Obviously hope he stays. I would let him run down his contract or sell him if he won't sign in January, when we are 15points clear at the top and can attract a decent replacement. Finally, isn't Coventry nearer Scotland than Reading?!

Ashdown

Let's look at the rumours and history... Player has great season, bids start arriving in media, denials begin, some fans start to say he's not that good anyway, CT stirs shit up, bids are raised, SISU force sale, player leaves !

robbiekeane

SISU force sale, player leaves
When has this actually ever happened? More absolute froth at the mouth bullshit.

It must be so easy to have such a simple mind that all of life’s woes can be explained away by a pantomime villain.

Sad really

mark82

Let's look at the rumours and history... Player has great season, bids start arriving in media, denials begin, some fans start to say he's not that good anyway, CT stirs shit up, bids are raised, SISU force sale, player leaves !

It's not really happened the last couple of seasons though has it?

harvey098

If I was him (not a Cov fan) I’d be pushing for a move. Money would be quite different for him.

Ive never understood why the top players like Neymar would force a move for more money because they already earn more than they can spend but for McNulty to go from £100k a year to 300k a year changes his life dramatically.

Nick

Administrator

Which players?

standupforcity

If I was him (not a Cov fan) I’d be pushing for a move. Money would be quite different for him.

Ive never understood why the top players like Neymar would force a move for more money because they already earn more than they can spend but for McNulty to go from £100k a year to 300k a year changes his life dramatically.
That's more to do with agent influence than player ambition! I'd rather be playing with a club on the up than sit on the bench....

robbiekeane

Completely agree.

To be completely honest, and I suspect it would be the same with a lot of people here if they were actually in that position, i'd whore myself out to the highest bidder and be an absolute mercenary my whole career, particularly outside of the prem. Bit like Leon Clarke.

luwalla

If the owners have a real intent to pushy on again then they have to offer a strong contract , that will compete with championship offers... an extra 100k now is peanuts to what his goals could earn the club in another promotion, and one thing is pretty much guaranteed, you ain’t gonna get another striker of his calibre for for whatever you have to top up god contract by ( using 100k as an example )

cooperskyblue

Well we can ask the questions regarding McNulty and our other players with only a year left tonight at the evening with Robins. Hopefully a positive answer.

For me keeping McNulty would satisfy me if it were to be the last piece of business we do this summer.

covcity4life

if we get this club in championship there is real hope for a takeover from serious bidders. hopefully sisu have one eye on the future and stay strong to keep him, if he does go give all the cash to robins to get a striker in who can damage league 1(mcgoldrick,armstrong)

Seamus1

Even an extra 100k per annum will be dwarfed by what a team in the Championship will offer...not to mention any unrest it could add to the squad with others demanding more money if McNulty gets a pay rise.

Let’s also not forget that, according to some, all money coming into the club is taken by SISU to pay for their court cases...there is only so much rain water we can collect to pass on to the players for payment

Maybe if we’d like to give him a pay rise, we could all sponsor him...if everyone on here were to chip in with £1 per week

luwalla

just playing devils advocate.

11 goals in 55 games at League One level.
or 10 in 40 ... we can stack the stats in may different ways. the point remains the same.. I dont believe you'll get a better striker for the money which would be needed to top up his contract by ( even if it was 200+ ) and I believe the rewards it could bring far outweigh the comparably small financial risk

We dont know that an extra 100k per year will be dwarfed by what a championship club could offer... we dont know what he is on here already & we dont know what they could would or could offer. that said, I do accept the point about it possibly causing unrest with other players , who feel they should then get a pay rise... fair point there

Nick

Administrator
Even an extra 100k per annum will be dwarfed by what a team in the Championship will offer...not to mention any unrest it could add to the squad with others demanding more money if McNulty gets a pay rise.

Let’s also not forget that, according to some, all money coming into the club is taken by SISU to pay for their court cases...there is only so much rain water we can collect to pass on to the players for payment

Maybe if we’d like to give him a pay rise, we could all sponsor him...if everyone on here were to chip in with £1 per week

I think the main thing is the unrest, if we were to give McNulty an extra 100k a year then other players would be asking questions about their pay rises. You would have thought there would have been a promotion clause in most of the new contracts to say they get a raise if we go up a league anyway.

3167EF3100000578-0-image-a-32_1456008078518.jpg

Have a look at the gap between League One and the Championship average wage (This is from 2014 though), it's a massive jump.

Liquid Gold

I want McNulty to stay but to say there would be no replacement available for the money is nonsense. McNulty was available on a free this time last year and Robins has always been good at picking up and building a team around a good goalscoring striker.

ccfcway

I want McNulty to stay but to say there would be no replacement available for the money is nonsense. McNulty was available on a free this time last year and Robins has always been good at picking up and building a team around a good goalscoring striker.

same as me. Very much want him to stay, but if he goes, it's more than possible to MR could pick up a free striker not performing in championship but could hit the ground running in league one.

Esoterica

Would be disappointed if he left because it's been a long time since we owned a striker with 20+ goals in a season but also understand if he did. Why would he have any loyalty to us after he got dogs abuse from sections of the fanbase for the first third of the season anyway. If we're able to get a 7 figure sum for a guy we picked up on a free last year and who hasn't really proven himself at L1 level then it's good business if that gets reinvested in another striker.

Users who are viewing this thread