Bids for McNulty / McNulty to Reading (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
If Mcnulty had real ambition he would of held out for a better side than a struggling Reading! The fact is he jumped ship at the very first opportunity, and snapped the hand off the first club that offered a bit more cash.
Reading isn’t a bigger club, or an attractive club, it’s just a club with a bit more cash to play with. he’s hardly moved for footballing reasons now has he.
He could of stayed here till January, proved he could score goals in league 1 and possibly got a move to a premier league side.
The only real winner in all of this, is his agent.

He's probably realistic in that he is never going to play in the Premier League, he hasn't got the fitness for it.

From his perspective he has gone to Reading and it doesn't matter too much at how he does, he's on a 4 year contract and will have increased his wage a fair bit. He could go there and sit on the bench and be much more well off than if he stays here and scores 30 goals.

duffer

If Mcnulty had real ambition he would of held out for a better side than a struggling Reading! The fact is he jumped ship at the very first opportunity, and snapped the hand off the first club that offered a bit more cash.
Reading isn’t a bigger club, or an attractive club, it’s just a club with a bit more cash to play with. he’s hardly moved for footballing reasons now has he.
He could of stayed here till January, proved he could score goals in league 1 and possibly got a move to a premier league side.
The only real winner in all of this, is his agent.

Or he could have broken his leg or snapped an ACL in pre-season, or simply lost form. If he's that good, and like all pros he'll believe in himself, then he'll get noticed at Reading (e.g. Maddison).

It may not suit us as fans, but I don't think you can say that it doesn't suit the player. I don't take it personally, it's just the way the game works imho.

chiefdave

He added: “It was intimated in no uncertain terms that the player would have been stroppy – and that was the word he used – if the deal didn’t go through. And I said, ‘fine, a stroppy player doesn’t play.’
I get that its a short career, no loyalty, huge wage increase etc but this sort of thing really shouldn't happen. At the end of the day we have him under a contract. If he had been shit and wasn't in the first team would he now be saying don't pay me? Don't think so. The club would have had to honour the contract. Agents would be the first to complain if clubs started cancelling contracts due to poor performance but if a player does his job he walks away.

NorthernWisdom

I get that its a short career, no loyalty, huge wage increase etc but this sort of thing really shouldn't happen. At the end of the day we have him under a contract. If he had been shit and wasn't in the first team would he now be saying don't pay me? Don't think so. The club would have had to honour the contract. Agents would be the first to complain if clubs started cancelling contracts due to poor performance but if a player does his job he walks away.
Well he didn't walk away, we got compensated substantially.

Ashdown

I don't wish ill of him at all in a vindictive fashion, never have with any of our departees. Would tickle me a bit though if Reading flopped and City went up.

Magwitch

Just can’t understand those wishing McNulty I’ll will, look what he helped us achieve last season, cost us little money, scored 28 goals and a fair few assists helping us to promotion has earned us approaching £1.5 million giving Mark Robins substantial clout for player recruitment all in a year.

Nick

Administrator
It leaves a sour taste with the player will throw a wobbly type talk if he doesn't get a move...

fernandopartridge

It's McNulty's insincerity that annoys me. On the one hand he's tweeting to ignore rumours of him being shown around Reading's training ground but than subsequently reveals that he'd been angling for a move since their interest became apparent.
I don't wish him well but don't wish him ill, I see every team as a rival so why I'd want a player to well is beyond me.
Ideally we'll pass him on our way up next season.

Magwitch

Not sure if I believe that story to be honest. I’m upbeat about it. Any new player/players will be introduced into a much better team, playing a better system too which admittedly MM contributed to. If it is this Chaplin he’s had good comments from Pompey fans only 21 too

Nick

Administrator
It's McNulty's insincerity that annoys me. On the one hand he's tweeting to ignore rumours of him being shown around Reading's training ground but than subsequently reveals that he'd been angling for a move since their interest became apparent.
I don't wish him well but don't wish him ill, I see every team as a rival so why I'd want a player to well is beyond me.
Ideally we'll pass him on our way up next season.

Yeah I don't get the arse licking of it. "go and smash the championship" and all that.

Him and his agent forced his way out, threatened to throw a strop if he wasn't allowed to move. Bollocks to him, he doesn't play for us now so don't care if he scores 1 or 21.

Nick

Administrator
Not sure if I believe that story to be honest. I’m upbeat about it. Any new player/players will be introduced into a much better team, playing a better system too which admittedly MM contributed to. If it is this Chaplin he’s had good comments from Pompey fans only 21 too

Believe what story?

Covstu

Hope he does well and wish him the best, lets face it scoring 28 goals was always going to attract attention by leagues above. He didn't play well for Sheff Utd so certainly no guarantee he will turn up for Reading but I hope he does.
I think he knows he will never be a premier league player, time will tell to see if he is championship quality

duffer

That's an entirely fair comment mate, but then like I say clubs also treat players like meat when it suits them to do so. Remember the stories about Huckerby being in tears when he was sold against his will?

It's a remarkably cruel profession, I find it hard to blame players for doing the best they can out of it when they can...

Users who are viewing this thread