Best TV shows or movies you can recommend (4 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Daz

Just watched a documentary on Netflix about the cheese rolling competition in Gloucester
It’s called we are the champions, give it a watch it’s brilliant

I didnt realise it’s a whole series just on the chilli pepper eating contest

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4439

A bit random this, but in 1993 the London revival of Cabaret was shown on TV, and is available to watch on YT. It's a much more earthy, gritty version than the glitzy film version starring Liza Minnelli and Joel Grey, and which didn't do a lot for me. Alan Cumming stars as the Emcee, and what a captivating job he did/does!

If you have a quality ninety-odd minutes to allow yourself to be absorbed in the plot, give it a go.

Here's the YT link to the 1993 London Revival in full

and here's the (abridged) opening scene for the 1998 Broadway revival, with Alan Cumming, for which the production picked up a Tony Award.

Last edited by a moderator:

Great_Expectations

Just finished the new (ish) season of Bosch, and my partner and I are watching The Undoing, but the next episode isn’t out until Monday. So I need two shoes (!); a me show and an us show.

Thinking of trying Lucifer, always wrote it off as a cheesy American chick flick type, but reviews are pretty good. Need something else gritty to really get into, The Wire esque (big ask I know).

clint van damme

Just watched a documentary on Netflix about the cheese rolling competition in Gloucester
It’s called we are the champions, give it a watch it’s brilliant

I didnt realise it’s a whole series just on the chilli pepper eating contest

Just watched the one about the cheese rolling.
I've long been of the opinion that those worm charmers are wrong uns' this programme did nothing to change that

Adge

The undoing is not bad-worth a watch for those who haven’t seen it.

ajsccfc

I was changing my mind on who was responsible so often I was pretty much suspecting every character that had a line of dialogue at some point

It’sabatch87

Just watched The Ripper on Netflix,How incompetent we’re the West Yorkshire police at the time dear me.
Very interesting about Sutcliffe,He could remember every date,Time and victim and how he killed them poor girls.

clint van damme

Just watched The Ripper on Netflix,How incompetent we’re the West Yorkshire police at the time dear me.
Very interesting about Sutcliffe,He could remember every date,Time and victim and how he killed them poor girls.

I watched one (Maybe a on IPlayer) about the police and medias attitude to the victims.
The mysogony was shocking.

Skybluefaz

Watched it the other day not knowing much other than the blokes name and the crimes he committed, can't believe how shoddy the investigation was. Imagine if they didn't get a stroke of luck? Not like it was a million years ago either.

It’sabatch87

Watched it the other day not knowing much other than the blokes name and the crimes he committed, can't believe how shoddy the investigation was. Imagine if they didn't get a stroke of luck? Not like it was a million years ago either.
Yes only caught him by mistake and a local Bobby recognised his photo fit on a poster!!

Mcbean

Sorry if mentioned before Watching Ted Lasso - bloody hilarious - about an American being a manager of a prem team - it’s on Apple only sadly I think

Sbarcher

Vikings series 6 part 2 starts on 30th December on Prime.

chiefdave

Staged series 2 is on iplayer and its genius. First series was so good I was hoping for a second but worried they couldn't follow it.

They've come up with a storyline that its being remade in the US but David Tennant and Michael Sheen are being recast.

Not to give anything away, as it is in the trailer, there's a sub plot that Sheen was cast as Doctor Who but then given the boot to make way for Tennant and has been plotting his revenge ever since.

Reactions: KG7
D

Deleted member 11652

Best Tv Programmes:

The Inbetweeners
Prison Break

Best Films:

Batman Trilogy
High School Musical Trilogy

Sbarcher

Just watched through the last kingdom on Netflix... Enjoyed it thoroughly
Waiting for the next series but I believe put back until 2022 due to the virus.

Great_Expectations

Waiting for the next series but I believe put back until 2022 due to the virus.

Just watched through the last kingdom on Netflix... Enjoyed it thoroughly

I’d highly recommend reading the series of novels this is based on; The Saxon Stories by Bernard Cornwell. One of my favourite book series ever.

Not watched the adaptation yet as I’m worried it will either ruin the books for me and/or it won’t live up to my high expectations based on how good the source material is!

Reactions: AOM

Great_Expectations

Just finished the new (ish) season of Bosch, and my partner and I are watching The Undoing, but the next episode isn’t out until Monday. So I need two shoes (!); a me show and an us show.

Thinking of trying Lucifer, always wrote it off as a cheesy American chick flick type, but reviews are pretty good. Need something else gritty to really get into, The Wire esque (big ask I know).

I gave Lucifer a watch and it’s definitely worth doing. The concept of the Devil returning to earth and ending up as a Consultant to the LAPD doesn’t sound great, and it’s a procedural which I don’t usually like, but it’s surprisingly good.

It’s not intense or heavy watching, but the underlying stories are good, the characters are strong and, the most enjoyable aspect, it made me laugh out loud way more than I expected. It really picks up after the first series, and again in series 4 when it moved to Netflix.

Paxman II

'Ozark' with Jason Bateman. You just see yourself in his shoes and wonder just how the hell this is could be happening to you. Scary in a realistic and beliveable way.

Curiously (not a reality TV fan) but 'Below Deck' is a great watch. On several platforms.

PurpleBin

Tin Star is a decent watch. The third season is in Liverpool. A fair bit of that where the top copper woman lived was filmed two minutes walk from my house.

Started watching Breaking Bad again. Threew seasons in and it's as good as I remember.

Ballers was a decent watch as well I thought.

Comedy wise, watched Black Books for the first time which is brilliant.

Johnnythespider

Just watched Tag on Netflix, really enjoyed it and the ending just makes it even better.

Terry_dactyl

Apologies if mentioned on here and I’m sure many will have seen it already but I’m watching Breaking Bad, having resisted it for ages. It’s great!
I loved the Wire, which I still think edges it for me but BB is loads of fun!

clint van damme

I've started watching Brassic, it's pretty funny. It's written by the bloke who wrote early Shameless and is reminiscent of it in many respects.

I was put off watching Brassic because a mate of mine who has similar tastes said it was shit but in the end I gave it a go and really enjoyed it.
Looking forward to the 3rd series.
3rd series of Succession also out Th is year which should be good.

fernandopartridge

I was put off watching Brassic because a mate of mine who has similar tastes said it was shit but in the end I gave it a go and really enjoyed it.
Looking forward to the 3rd series.
3rd series of Succession also out Th is year which should be good.
I was in two minds after the first episode but have found it decent, it's an easy watch really

Great_Expectations

Apologies if mentioned on here and I’m sure many will have seen it already but I’m watching Breaking Bad, having resisted it for ages. It’s great!
I loved the Wire, which I still think edges it for me but BB is loads of fun!

It’s not quite as good as The Wire, but it certainly comes close!

As a newcomer and fresh pair of eyes to Breaking Bad it’ll be interesting to see what you think of Series 3 episode 10 (“Fly”), which is probably the most discussed and contentious (amongst viewers) episode of the show. And that isn’t a spoiler in anyway.

Terry_dactyl

It’s not quite as good as The Wire, but it certainly comes close!

As a newcomer and fresh pair of eyes to Breaking Bad it’ll be interesting to see what you think of Series 3 episode 10 (“Fly”), which is probably the most discussed and contentious (amongst viewers) episode of the show. And that isn’t a spoiler in anyway.
Well, I’m now on season 5 so know the episode. It certainly stood out. Think the consensus in Casa Dactyl was that it seemed a bit self-indulgent and unnecessary...not sure what it offered. Although we still talk about it!
My main criticism of the show as a whole is that sometimes some of the characters seem to do things, make decisions that seem completely, well...out of character.
Over all though I’m loving it.

Users who are viewing this thread