Best Stand-ups (1 Viewer)

Terry Gibson's perm

Thinking about booking Kerry Godliman at the glee club and Henning Wehn in Walsall early next year

Adge

Surprised no one has mentioned Frank Skinner. Had his day but his standup was decent-seen him a couple of times.
Peter Kay an absolute genius too.
Always liked Tommy Tiernan aswell but his stand up show was awful.

lordsummerisle

Frank Skinner the best I've ever seen, twice, once in Lincoln about 93, next in Oxford just a couple of days after Diana died.

Said he'd list a fortune as just taken his investments out of flower shops and put it into land-mines.

Bill Bailey brilliant too, seen him loads, first time at The Belgrade about 98.

Stewart Lee is a genius, and really not as po-faced and right on as his detractors would have it.

Last edited:

Sbarcher

Get up to the Edinburgh Fringe, too many great unknown stand ups to mention.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Bit undrelated, but I remember someone on here saying how much they used to enjoy Dave Gorman's Modern Life is Goodish. His new programme starts tomorrow night on Dave if they're interested. Looks more panel oriented than him just doing a show.

Otis

Bit undrelated, but I remember someone on here saying how much they used to enjoy Dave Gorman's Modern Life is Goodish. His new programme starts tomorrow night on Dave if they're interested. Looks more panel oriented than him just doing a show.
Yes, I am not convinced to be honest, but I do like him and will give it a go.

clint van damme

Frank Skinner the best I've ever seen, twice, once in Lincoln about 93, next in Oxford just a couple of days after Diana died.

Said he'd list a fortune as just taken his investments out of flower shops and put it into land-mines.

Bill Bailey brilliant too, seen him loads, first time at The Belgrade about 98.

Stewart Lee is a genius, and really not as po-faced and right on as his detractors would have it.

saw Bill bailey a couple of times, very good. Some of the stuff he did early on in his career around 70s TV was brilliant.

bringbackrattles

Billy Connelly was a stand up genius in his day, and I like another Scotch comedian now in Kevin Bridges. Funniest comic I've ever seen live was Ken Dodd, old time comic but his one liners were brilliant. Mickey Flanagan is funny too.

Malaka

I have seen:
Chubby Brown
Jimmy Carr
Chris Rock
Billy Connolly
Jonathon Pie (Not really a stand up)
Jim Jeffries
Funniest Jimmy Carr
Most Disappointing Billy Connolly
Had tickets for Ben Elton 23/10 but had to give them away (gutted)

Otis

I have seen:
Chubby Brown
Jimmy Carr
Chris Rock
Billy Connolly
Jonathon Pie (Not really a stand up)
Jim Jeffries
Funniest Jimmy Carr
Most Disappointing Billy Connolly
Had tickets for Ben Elton 23/10 but had to give them away (gutted)
Okay....

Seen.....

Paul Merton
Rowan Atkinson
Eddie Izzard
Rik Mayall
Ed Byrne
Jo Brand
Lee Hurst
Jimmy Carr

Think there are more, but cannot remember them off the top of my head.

Funniest, Rowan Atkinson.

ajsccfc

Gervais can be a a really funny stand up but he loses me a bit when he starts preaching about free speech and atheism. If he could restrain himself a bit he could be great.

I wanted to like his most recent Netflix special but he spends a bizarre amount of time mocking people who've been a bit mean about him on Twitter, like Father Ted's acceptance speech come to life.

fellatio_Martinez

I wanted to like his most recent Netflix special but he spends a bizarre amount of time mocking people who've been a bit mean about him on Twitter, like Father Ted's acceptance speech come to life.

It's pretty weak stuff. Anyone could go on Twitter and find people to make fun of. I think Twitter might be one of the main reasons his output has gone to shit.

He uses it to perpetuate the idea that everything he does is amazing with constant retweets of randomers praising his stuff. It's like his own little echo chamber.

I remember when he used to be ironically smug and self satisfied.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I have heard from someone in the know , that Peter Kay is not as warm and friendly as you’d imagine

Also according to them Mickey Flanagan has no airs or graces and is really decent along with Micheal McIntyre who supposedly on the last night at any venue treats the backstage crew to drinks and takeaways , I don’t know if this is standard for acts . But I was genuinely surprised about peter Kay

fellatio_Martinez

I have heard from someone in the know , that Peter Kay is not as warm and friendly as you’d imagine

Also according to them Mickey Flanagan has no airs or graces and is really decent along with Micheal McIntyre who supposedly on the last night at any venue treats the backstage crew to drinks and takeaways , I don’t know if this is standard for acts . But I was genuinely surprised about peter Kay

I've heard similar about Peter Kay. Apparently he's a pain to work with and just generally up himself.

Charlie Brooker used to write a TV column for a newspaper and he said that it's nearly always the case that people who appear overly nice on TV are arseholes in real life.

Otis

I've heard similar about Peter Kay. Apparently he's a pain to work with and just generally up himself.

Charlie Brooker used to write a TV column for a newspaper and he said that it's nearly always the case that people who appear overly nice on TV are arseholes in real life.
Damn that Tom Hanks to hell.

fernandopartridge

Peter Kay is seen as a plagiarist amongst comedians, basically his most successful work is co-written. Anything he's done without Neil Fitzmaurice / Dave Spikey has been pretty poor.

Ian1779

I want Charlie Brooker to concentrate on making more Black Mirror episodes.

lordsummerisle

I want Charlie Brooker to concentrate on making more Black Mirror episodes.

There's somebody who is supposed to be genuinely nice

My daughter's boyfriend user to work at Endomol and said he was a lovely bloke.

Miss Screen and News Wipe though, and think last series of Black Mirror was a big dip in quality compared to previous.

SkyblueBazza

There's somebody who is supposed to be genuinely nice

My daughter's boyfriend user to work at Endomol and said he was a lovely bloke.

Miss Screen and News Wipe though, and think last series of Black Mirror was a big dip in quality compared to previous.
We can all be nice (though some choose to just be greedy) when the money is rolling in. When the chips are down however even the nice get nasty!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SkyblueBazza

So Ben Elton...very much to type, didn't disappoint & only got really over-political at the end. Was very funny on some serious life topics

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SkyBlueDom26

Frankie Boyle or Jimmy Carr for me.... Ricky Gervais is also brilliant and does lots of work with animal charities which is fantastic

CCFCSteve

Jim Jeffries early stuff was very good

Saw Harry Hill once and he was excellent. Very irreverant humour which isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Like it Clint...Jim Jefferies is quality, well, if you like brutal humour ! As you say especially earlier sets...got a bit more hit and miss (and preachy) more recently, still like though. Seen him three times live

Ricky Gervais, Russell Brand (I know he’s a cock but always liked a lot of his stand up), Kevin Hart. Old school, Eddie Murphy

skybluetony176

Went to see Romesh Ranganathan last week and he didn’t disappoint. Very polished performance as well, made it look effortless.

Users who are viewing this thread