Best Stand-ups (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

Jim Jeffries early stuff was very good

Saw Harry Hill once and he was excellent. Very irreverant humour which isn't everyone's cup of tea.

fellatio_Martinez

Jim Jeffries early stuff was very good

Saw Harry Hill once and he was excellent. Very irreverant humour which isn't everyone's cup of tea.

I used to enjoy Jim too but he seems to have lost his way recently. Maybe getting a show on US television and living in America has made him less edgy.

clint van damme

I used to enjoy Jim too but he seems to have lost his way recently. Maybe getting a show on US television and living in America has made him less edgy.

I think you're right.
It's like bands who make their name writing about everyday stuff who lose their edge after a couple of platinum albums and making a couple of million.

Otis

Bill Burr, Patrice O'Neal, Robert Kelly, Colin Quinn, Nick Di Paolo, Louis CK, Jim Norton. They're all American and I think they're way ahead British comedy.

Jimmy Carr is great and he's made the transition to America quite well. I think Simon Amstell is the only decent British stand up going apart from Jimmy.
I think James Acaster is great.

Ian1779

Michael McIntyre is very good with his observational comedy. Is also annoying as hell but his material is good stuff.

fernandopartridge

Never been a great fan of stand up comedy, though saw Billy Connolly on his last tour in 2016 and thought it was great.

As a kid I went on holiday to Pontins, saw some great old school comedians like Mick Miller, I enjoyed it as an 11 year old and still would now.

Saw Gervais in 2007 which was pretty good

SkyblueBazza

Seen a fair few over the years...& more often than not have not got what I expected. In sequence as best I recall them...
Jasper Carrot - did the same as I had seen on tv. It was all about his delivery (entertainment value 5)
Mike Harding - all new material & very funny (6)
Matt Lucas - just no, not really (3)
Paul Zenon - strange mix of magic & comedy (3)
Adam Hills - Just didn't hit the spot for me at all. How many no-leg jokes can you make? (2)
Little Britain - was pleasantly surprised how well they bought it to life with all new material (6)
Harry Hill (x3) - superb stand-up section without even swearing. Sketches are a bit dull though for me (8)
Al Murray - Brilliant! Did about 1/2 encore where questions from the audience were invited, it seemed obvious he was buying time on occasion but he turned it all into very good funny answers...not staged either as I asked him a question myself! (9)
Derren Brown - strange mix of magic, spooky & comedy (5)
Sarah Millican - very disappointed after seeing her on tv. Just mildly sparodically funny live (2)
Paul Sinha - very funny & good delivery (6)
Tim Vine - hilarious but after 20mins the funny is still there, but the laughing became tiresome (7)
Bryson, Mack & Mitchell - some funny bits but appeared too plotted for me, confirmed by talking to someone that went on a different night too (
Richard Digance (x2) - past his sell by date, but much funnier the first time...2nd time seemed to make it up as he went along (6&3)

Think I have missed a few along the way there...which speaks volumes for their performance I guess.

Ben Elton/Gary Delaney watch this space!

On TV I have found many of the usual suspects' full sets funny...Ken Dodd, Bob Monkhouse, Victoria Wood, Eddie Izzard, Joan Rivers, Sean Walsh, Omid Djalili, Frankie Boyle, Billy Connolly, Shapphi Khorsdandi, Michael MacIntyre, Dawn French & Lee Mack all stand out somewhat off the cuff as being very funny. Miranda Hart, Mickey Flanagan, Lee Evans & many others have left me anything between either disappointed or thoroughly let down when watching a full 'set'.

Overall having given it some thought - for the no nonsense improvising alone Al Murray as the Pub Landlord probably just edged it from Harry Hill actually there live on stage (so far)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SkyblueBazza

Controversial to say but Bernard Manning had great delivery.
Yes...missed him off...& Chubby Brown. Controversial (like Frankie Boyle) but the ridiculousness of their appearanve &/or scenario's made it obvious it was really just for laughs (yes I know BM was kind of caught napping once with Mrs Merton but I got a sense that he was dazed & confused upon realising he had pretty much been set up to get shown up imo)

fellatio_Martinez

Funny is funny. Whether it be left, right, pc or non pc. If a comedian makes you laugh then their job is done.

I've never had a problem with Chubby Brown or Manning. I don't particularly go in for their style but there's no arguing that they're funny people.

It's c*nts that have nothing to say and just make observations about burning toast or similar toss that offend me. Physical comedy is also shit apart from Lee Evans in his prime who had material to back it up and not Michael McIntyre who stomps around the stage like a toddler with nothing but noise emitting from his mouth.

Grendel

Michael McIntyre is very good with his observational comedy. Is also annoying as hell but his material is good stuff.

I actually had to watch him once (I’ve got no interest in stand up comedy) and Christ I wish they’d had the free bar lined up before the end of the conference

this company had guest acts every year. The year before they had the impersonator guy from round here - can’t remember his name - and he was alright to be fair

The year before that it was William Hague and oddly he was brilliant

SkyblueBazza

Funny is funny. Whether it be left, right, pc or non pc. If a comedian makes you laugh then their job is done.

I've never had a problem with Chubby Brown or Manning. I don't particularly go in for their style but there's no arguing that they're funny people.

It's c*nts that have nothing to say and just make observations about burning toast or similar toss that offend me. Physical comedy is also shit apart from Lee Evans in his prime who had material to back it up and not Michael McIntyre who stomps around the stage like a toddler with nothing but noise emitting from his mouth.

See imo pretty much anything can have a slant put on it to make it funny. It doesn't have to make some sort of political or life changing point. It just has to be funny & the best comedians are consistently funny.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I actually had to watch him once (I’ve got no interest in stand up comedy) and Christ I wish they’d had the free bar lined up before the end of the conference

this company had guest acts every year. The year before they had the impersonator guy from round here - can’t remember his name - and he was alright to be fair

The year before that it was William Hague and oddly he was brilliant

Alistair McGowan?

Terry Gibson's perm

Saw Gary Delaney at the glee club earlier this year very very funny and the glee club was really cheap.

Saw Milton Jones at the glee club and he was very good.

Jason Manford at the NiA was very smooth and funny but really expensive to see.

Jasper Carrot a couple of times funny but his time is done now

Users who are viewing this thread