Best Stand-ups (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

So, to go off at a tangent from the Brexit thread...

Last night I went to see Paul Foot. A quick search brings this up on a worst gigs thread :D

Paul Foot - most of the audience walked, something that is fairly common at a
Paul Foot gig. I love his stuff but he was awful that night.
Only two left! Think Mrs. Wisdom would have done if she could, but I had the car keys :)

I enjoyed it! It's edgy, surreal, slightly 'dangerous' but definitely an acquired taste! You either love him or loathe him. Think I'm inclining towards the love...

skybluetony176

I went and seen Rob Beckett last night and he was pretty good. Going to see Romesh very soon too. Seen Greg Davis last year, also very good. Of the stand ups I’ve seen live Sarah Millican was probably the funniest and certainly most polished. She’s a true master of her craft, just made it look so effortless. Worst I’ve ever see and by a mile was Jethro, not my choice, got dragged along by a “mate”.

Of the stand ups I’ve never seen Stewart Lee is right up there for me. He’s got a new tour coming out so I plan on making the effort this time.

My absolute favourite stand up of all time though is Richard Prior.

Reactions: vow

rob9872

I went and seen Rob Beckett last night and he was pretty good. Going to see Romesh very soon too. Seen Greg Davis last year, also very good. Of the stand ups I’ve seen live Sarah Millican was probably the funniest and certainly most polished. She’s a true master of her craft, just made it look so effortless. Worst I’ve ever see and by a mile was Jethro, not my choice, got dragged along by a “mate”.

Of the stand ups I’ve never seen Stewart Lee is right up there for me. He’s got a new tour coming out so I plan on making the effort this time.

I can't stand Stewart Lee. Patronising git who believes his own hype and sounds more righteous than a failed politician. If I go to a comedy gig, I want to be laughing not applauding and nodding in approval of how clever someone thinks they are. Personal favourite is Kevin Bridges but love Mickey Flanagan too.

skybluetony176

I can't stand Stewart Lee. Patronising git who believes his own hype and sounds more righteous than a failed politician. If I go to a comedy gig, I want to be laughing not applauding and nodding in approval of how clever someone thinks they are. Personal favourite is Kevin Bridges but love Mickey Flanagan too.

I think he’s just an acquired taste. Both Kevin and Mickey are on my to see list.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Stewart Lee is brilliant.

clint van damme

Have seen Stewart Lee, he's superb.
Agree about Richard Prior. Would love to have seen him.

Saw Frankie Boyle and he was excellent.

Ian1779

Eddie Izzard is my favourite.... The man can also do his show in more than one language.

Did Stewart Lee do the sketch about all the different civilisations coming to England etc....think it’s a bit of a Brexit dig.

covmark

Saw Stuart Francis live and he was really good.
Worst I've seen was probably Al Murray, pretty unfunny tbh.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

skybluetony176

Eddie Izzard is my favourite.... The man can also do his show in more than one language.

Did Stewart Lee do the sketch about all the different civilisations coming to England etc....think it’s a bit of a Brexit dig.
Always struggled to get Eddie Izzard myself.

Stewart Lee did do a sketch about foreigners from different civilisations coming to the UK but it was aimed at something the then UKIP leader Paul Nuttall said about Romanians coming to the U.K.

skybluetony176

Saw Stuart Francis live and he was really good.
Worst I've seen was probably Al Murray, pretty unfunny tbh.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Someone got me an Al Murray DVD once and I honestly expected to like it but I turned it off before it finished and put it in a charity bag.

Last edited:

Otis

I think Stewart Lee can be very funny indeed. I loved his Top Gear skit.

Otis

Stewart Lee did do a sketch about foreigners from different civilisations coming to the UK but it was aimed at something the then UKIP leader Paul Nuttall said about Romanians coming to the U.K.
I love Eddie Izzard.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Best was Billy Connolly in 2007ish at the symphony hall

worst was Steve coogan at the Nia

Ian1779

That’s the one.

Izzard is really intelligent in terms of his historical knowledge - adds a level to the comedy.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Im not sure i could pin it down to an absolute favourite, i absolutely loved Bill Bailey, Eddie Izzard, Peter Kay and Dylan Moran while i was at school/uni. Dara O'Briain i think is very good and ive recently quite enjoyed Louis CK and Bill Burr's stuff.

Covstu

Two favourite live was Frankie Boyle and the big yin. Kevin bridges and Peter Kay were very good too

shmmeee

Very much an acquired taste, but someone showed me Bo Burnham on YouTube (he put the full show on there) and though it can be a bit hit and miss some bits really tickled me. Other bits came off a little too try hard edgy millennial.

Dara O’Brien is great, Bill Bailey, Tim Minchin if you count him.

Tried some Dave Chappelle and it was OK but not amazing. Louis CK is usually good and some of his stuff about parenthood is spot on. Is Stewart Francis the Canadian one liner? I love him just my type of comedy.

Jimmy Carr is always good.

Worst one I’ve seen live was Ed Byrne. Just not funny at all. Or Roy a Chubby Brown. Just terrible all round, was dragged to him when I was at uni by a housemate who raved about him.

Otis

Went to see his latest show a couple of weeks ago in Birmingham. Good, but maybe not his best work.
Yes, I have seen him three times and the last one was his weakest by far I thought.

I saw Ed Byrne live too and I smiled, but didn't laugh at all. Not once.

Worst ever was Rik May all. Just totally unfunny and just swore and swore until it became very, very tiresome indeed.

shmmeee

Yes, I have seen him three times and the last one was his weakest by far I thought.

I saw Ed Byrne live too and I smiled, but didn't laugh at all. Not once.

Worst ever was Rik May all. Just totally unfunny and just swore and swore until it became very, very tiresome indeed.

Got to be honest, never seen the appeal of Rik Mayall

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

In the past I really enjoyed Jasper Carrott. Dara O'Briain has some excellent routines (maybe because I relate to it quite well) and is good with audience interaction but my god he talks fast and it can be hard to keep up. Sarah Millican is a really good performer and can make even big spaces seem quite intimate and like she's just having a chat with you.

Disappointed that I've never seen Billy Connolly but I think the time has passed now.

Really enjoyed the time I saw Ross Noble, but it depends on the night really because he goes off on surreal tangents that can be a bit hit and miss. Eddie Izzard is a bit similar in that he can be a bit surreal so if you're in the mood it's great, if not it can be a bit of a struggle. Stewart Lee is fine as well if you're in the mood for that kind of thing but if you just want to switch off it's not a great deal of fun with the long pauses and the repetition. I used to record Comedy Vehicle and watch a few episodes back to back when the mood took me.

Never really wanted to go and see one-liners in their own show - like them in small doses as part of a bill but 90mins to 2hours of them alone would be a chore People like McIntyre/Evans is all in the delivery - the stupid faces/walks etc. The actual comedy is pretty generic and are as much clowns/jesters as stand-ups.

Saw Frankie Boyle a long while ago and was pretty disappointed. Part of that was because at the time he was a MTW regular and so much of his stuff had already been on that but he didn't seem to enjoy performing at all. Even the audience interaction was scripted and seemed to be being done because it's what is expected at some point.

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Got to be honest, never seen the appeal of Rik Mayall

Yeah. He was an actor but he could really steal a scene and he did rely on the crude. Having said that some of the asides between him and Ade Edmondson in the first Bottom Live I found extremely funny, but they became extremely repetitive.

Tim Minchin has some really funny songs but never really got the stand-up part. He's definitely most comfortable behind the piano.

shmmeee

Yeah. He was an actor but he could really steal a scene and he did rely on the crude. Having said that some of the asides between him and Ade Edmondson in the first Bottom Live I found extremely funny, but they became extremely repetitive.

Tim Minchin has some really funny songs but never really got the stand-up part. He's definitely most comfortable behind the piano.

Oh yeah just for the songs. I’m a sucker for a comedy song though.

Ian1779

He seems to be concentrating more on the political side than anything recently. Obviously loves performing though.

I would concur, and I think it was evident in his more recent shows. Still very good, but not as good as his earlier work.

fellatio_Martinez

Bill Burr, Patrice O'Neal, Robert Kelly, Colin Quinn, Nick Di Paolo, Louis CK, Jim Norton. They're all American and I think they're way ahead British comedy.

Jimmy Carr is great and he's made the transition to America quite well. I think Simon Amstell is the only decent British stand up going apart from Jimmy. His stuff seems very honest and most importantly it's funny.

Paul Merton is shit. He just makes it up on the spot.

chiefdave

Bill Burr, Roy Wood Jr, Ricky Gervais, Peter Kay, Reg D Hunter, Chris Rock and Kevin Hart are on my list along with the legend that was Bill Hicks.

Current favourite is Lewis Black. Shame he hardly ever comes over here. Not a surprise when he plays big shows in the states but was at Glee in Brum the last time he was here.

The last Adam Sandler special on Netflix was pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread