Best City XI of All-time (CM) (4 Viewers)

torchomatic

Watched since 1976 & easily the best two central midfielders have been Boateng & Emerson.
I think Dean Emerson would have gone on to play for a 'bigger' club and England, the tackle from Gary Megson was horrific and deliberate. Never was the same player.
I saw Boateng make his debut against Liverpool @ Anfield and it was the best debut I have seen, even better than Robbie Keane's.
Honourable mentions for Hunt, Robson & Wise.
I'm surprised how many have said McCallister, brilliant player but not brilliant for us.
Yeah agree. I was there that snowy day when Megson injured Emmo. Hated Megson with a passion ever since.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Hobo

Megson had form for it as well

Hobo

Mortimer and Emerson for me

closely followed by Boateng. Robson was brilliant but crocked by the time he was with us. McAllister often stuttered along due to the fact we had to play too much through him and opponents just pressed him deeper and deeper....players alongside him like Telfer just didn't have a footballing brain (his preference for golf said it all).

DazzleTommyDazzle

Quite a few candidates for these positions.

I think that I'll have to go for a Yorath & Mortimer combination, with a very near miss for Willie Carr and honourable mentions for Gibson, McAllister, Boateng, Stuart Robson's brief but excellent cameo, Steve Hunt and Barry Powell.

60's

DazzleTommyDazzle

Yeah agree. I was there that snowy day when Megson injured Emmo. Hated Megson with a passion ever since.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I've always felt exactly the same, but I've been reading the Sky Blues Heroes book over the last few days (Xmas pressie) and in that Emerson says that the "incident" with Megson was a complete accident.

skybluelee

Thanks for the responses so far, keep them coming. 15 different players nominated so far and not one for Lloyd McGrath which surprises me.

Adge

Mortimer and Emerson for me

closely followed by Boateng. Robson was brilliant but crocked by the time he was with us. McAllister often stuttered along due to the fact we had to play too much through him and opponents just pressed him deeper and deeper....players alongside him like Telfer just didn't have a footballing brain (his preference for golf said it all).
Got to be McAllister and Robson for me. McAllister was often critisized early on when he arrived with the tag as the best midfielder in the country at the time. Trouble is people like Telfer were a million miles behind him when it came to football ability. When the likes of Keane,Hadji etc arrived, we actually had players who were on the same wave length as McAllister and then his class showed.

Decade 80's.

clint van damme

this is a difficult one but I'd go for Emerson and Boateng.

Gary Mc and Mortimer just missing out.

Grendel

Got to be McAllister and Robson for me. McAllister was often critisized early on when he arrived with the tag as the best midfielder in the country at the time. Trouble is people like Telfer were a million miles behind him when it came to football ability. When the likes of Keane,Hadji etc arrived, we actually had players who were on the same wave length as McAllister and then his class showed.

Decade 80's.

I thought in his first spell with Mcallister was big let down. I found it annoying he seemed to rediscover his form as soon as he went to Liverpool.

lifeskyblue

Gibson and Carr for me.
Mortimer, Yorath McAllister, boeteng and machin not far behind
Supporting since 60s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fernandopartridge

Watched since 1976 & easily the best two central midfielders have been Boateng & Emerson.
I think Dean Emerson would have gone on to play for a 'bigger' club and England, the tackle from Gary Megson was horrific and deliberate. Never was the same player.
I saw Boateng make his debut against Liverpool @ Anfield and it was the best debut I have seen, even better than Robbie Keane's.
Honourable mentions for Hunt, Robson & Wise.
I'm surprised how many have said McCallister, brilliant player but not brilliant for us.
Boateng's debut was a 1-0 defeat at Anfield. He looked good but really excelled in the cup win 2 weeks later I think

Alkhen

Boateng and McAllister for me too. Gutted when they left. Chuffed when Gary Mc came back . Vividly remember that worldie vs derby in his 2nd spell

Gazolba

Yorath and McGrath
60's

oakey

Mortimer and Yorath

Other greats ... Emerson Robson Hunt Carr Boateng Gynn McGrath Mick Mcguire
The 70s was easily our strongest era.
I think we have struggled to find good centre mids for many years until this season
70s

Johnnythespider

I struggle with this. Dave Phillips my favourite ever city player, but never really played much CM for us, so not sure I can justify him going in.

So... Stewart Robson and... Lee Hurst.

80s.
Lee Hurst looked like a future star until that army assault course, not one of Gould's better decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread