Best City XI of All-time (CM) (1 Viewer)

skybluelee

This should prompt an interesting discussion and a wide range of nominations. As with the CBs please choose 2 central midfielders, and again, the decade you started to support the club. Voting closes at 4pm on Monday.

My votes;

McAllister (the most gifted player I have ever seen in a City shirt, and it was an absolute privilege watching him during the 99/00 season). Honourable mention for Speedo.

Boateng (despite my heart choosing Mcgrath) - For me he was as important as Dion and Huckerby during the best ever spell of our PL era (the 2nd half of 97/98).

Terry Gibson's perm

McAllister and Boateng

80's

but players like Hadji and Chippo Chris Marsden would be in the next section of players

mechaishida

I'd say Speedie, but he was more of an attacking midfielder/second striker...so, naturally, McAllister for playmaker, and I'll go for the less conventional choice of Trond Egil Soltvedt as the ball-winning, grafting holding midfielder.

So, McAllister, Soltvedt. 80's

I'm going purely on players I've seen actually play.

Otis

I'd say Speedie, but he was more of an attacking midfielder/second striker...so, naturally, McAllister for playmaker, and I'll go for the less conventional choice of Trond Egil Soltvedt as the ball-winning, grafting holding midfielder.

So, McAllister, Soltvedt. 80's

I'm going purely on players I've seen actually play.
What a stupid idea.

Irish Sky Blue

Willie Carr and Denis Mortimer. Really liked Terry Yorath, best captain I have seen and excellent in the Fergie-Wallace team, also Gary Mac too but my best two would be Carr and Mortimer.
1960s

CJ_covblaze

Easy. Boateng and Chippo. 1990s.

Londonccfcfan

Difficult one..Defensive/Holding midfielder one from ;
Carlton Palmer,Dennis Wise,lee carsley or George Boateng.

Attacking midfielders/playmaker,
Gary Mac, Hadji, David Thompson or Gordon Strachan.

Gary Mac and Strachan for me. (Not choosing Defensive Midfielder)

im 70s

Terry Gibson's perm

Come everybody where are the missing legends

Kevin MacDonald
Wayne Turner
Davie Bowman
the one and only Jose Perdomo

Hobo

We have been blessed with many great cm players Carr, Yorath, Daly, McAllister, Emmerson, Robson, Hadji, Boateng, ...

but few can say they left Coventry as our top player to become his new sides Captain, lead them to become league Champions then Champions of Europe in a handful of seasons. Take a bow Dennis Mortimer

Londonccfcfan

lee Carsley was one of the few who got better after they left and had a top career in premiership with a side that reached top 6 in premier league and Euefa Cup etc. 200 plus premiership games. Think he may have been Captain?

wingy

We have been blessed with many great cm players Carr, Yorath, Daly, McAllister, Emmerson, Robson, Hadji, Boateng, ...

but few can say they left Coventry as our top player to become his new sides Captain, lead them to become league Champions then Champions of Europe in a handful of seasons. Take a bow Dennis Mortimer
Yeah was going to mention him, but then all that achievement came at Villa.
So many worthy of mention but only two allowed
Micky Gynn, Gerry Francis, all those Sixties lads Andy Blair etc

shmmeee

Didn't McAllisters win the Europe League with Liverpool?

fernandopartridge

Difficult one. Despite one and a half good seasons I thought McAllister was mediocre.
On productivity per minute on the pitch you can't look past Strachan, he was a top class player.
Boateng was excellent in central midfield also.

shmmeee

I've got Jose Perdomo's autograph. For some reason it's my favourite piece of CCFC memorabilia.

Grendel

Yorath (captain as well) and boatang.

70's

Terry Gibson's perm

I've got Jose Perdomo's autograph. For some reason it's my favourite piece of CCFC memorabilia.

I think I had it as well I met him after a reserve game at HR under the stand where the players used to exit

Qwerty70

Watched since 1976 & easily the best two central midfielders have been Boateng & Emerson.
I think Dean Emerson would have gone on to play for a 'bigger' club and England, the tackle from Gary Megson was horrific and deliberate. Never was the same player.
I saw Boateng make his debut against Liverpool @ Anfield and it was the best debut I have seen, even better than Robbie Keane's.
Honourable mentions for Hunt, Robson & Wise.
I'm surprised how many have said McCallister, brilliant player but not brilliant for us.

Otis

If I hadn't have plumped for Hunt and Yorath, it would have been Yorath and Emerson or Hunt and Emerson.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

rondog1973

Watched since 1976 & easily the best two central midfielders have been Boateng & Emerson.
I think Dean Emerson would have gone on to play for a 'bigger' club and England, the tackle from Gary Megson was horrific and deliberate. Never was the same player.
I saw Boateng make his debut against Liverpool @ Anfield and it was the best debut I have seen, even better than Robbie Keane's.
Honourable mentions for Hunt, Robson & Wise.
I'm surprised how many have said McCallister, brilliant player but not brilliant for us.
Have always despised Megson because of what he did to Emerson. I think Lee Hurst would have gone on to represent England too had his career not been curtailed by injury at such a young age.

Robson and Boateng, 70's.

KG7

Boateng and Robson.

McAllister was shit for a year, injured for eighteen months, had one good season and then ditched us. Nice one.

John Fleck is as good a midfield player I've seen since we left the premier league.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pete in Portugal

I agree with Grendel: Yorath & Boateng. The latter's positional sense was uncanny. It seemed as though whenever the opposition cleared the ball, it always went straight to Boateng. Yorath was a great captain.

torchomatic

Dean Emmo and Steve Hunt

70s

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread