Best and worst Sky Blue moments (1 Viewer)

Calista

I’m not talking about whole occasions or results here – just moments of a few seconds that stand out in the best and worst possible ways. You CANNOT have the penalty miss on Saturday - that needs to be erased from our collective memory banks.

I’m restricting myself to three of each. Maybe (like me) some of your agonies and ecstasies will be quite obscure.

Worst moments (in no particular order)
#1 League Cup Semi Final 2nd leg 1981 at Upton Park. When Paul Goddard’s shot smashed into the net to level the tie on aggregate. It didn’t decide the game, but it felt like it, and so it proved to be. Still hurts!

#2 FA Cup replay 1974 at QPR. Stan Bowles scoring their winner with the last kick of the match, after we’d been ahead twice. I wasn’t there, but listened to it on the radio, and nearly smashed the kitchen up (it wasn’t even my kitchen!).

#3 That Luton ‘goal’ near the end of normal time after Panzo’s cock-up on Saturday. I know it got chalked off, but the seconds after it went in were the worst I can remember supporting CCFC.

Best moments
#1 Home to Chelsea near the end of the 1996-97 season, when Chelsea had to wear our away shirts. Absolutely crucial that we got 3 points. Strachan’s brilliant long ball, Chelsea keeper messes up, Whelan rolls it into the net to seal the win. Highfield Road seemed like heaven.

#2 FA Cup Semi Final vs Leeds at Hillsborough. After going behind, for a long time it looked like it was all going to come to nothing. Benno steals the ball on the byline, crosses for Gynn who knocks it home for the equaliser. That enormous terrace exploded like an atomic bomb.

#3 May 16th 1987. Killer pauses for a delicious couple of seconds before raising his arms with the FA Cup. Can't ever be topped.

rob9872

Worst

Can't erase sat has to be number 1 although until then the day was right up there with the best, Hamers goal special.

Other than that it's the relegations.

Best

Notts Co away, Boro away, all prev Wembley visits excl Everton, Ben's goal at Blackburn, staying up on last days of season, Daughters first hame home v Peterborough, my first game at HR and the atmosphere at the last game at HR

All pretty obvious and very cliche but are stand out moments.

Calista

I was thinking of specific instants of a few seconds, rather than whole matches or results.

As an example, not the 4-3 win against Spurs, but the second when Cyrille's rebound header went in.

Garlana86

I need to have a proper think about this later, but while its still relatively fresh and with some recency bias then i will throw in our loss at home to Wrexham this season, which was hugely embarrasing

There were so many eyes watching us, so much talk all about Wrexham and their Hollywood fairy tale and then add in the gaze of neutrals in every division watching us, saying how crap we were.

Yes i know it was a bit part team of ours, but still, i felt embarrased.

Not being able to defend from every single set piece was awful to watch.

Last edited:

coop

Worst was Dabo miss Saturday
Best can't remember one occasion that shines as the good times are always good.

skybluetony176

Worst without a doubt being at Villa when we were relegated.

Best being at Villa when we beat them for the first time in the league there.

Been some good ones since Robins come back although I will admit that the Johnson’s Paint Trophy semifinal was pretty special. We only opened the one stand, 6000 IIRC but sounded like 30,000. Didn’t sit down all game the stand was rocking all game and lost my voice the next day. Probably my favourite Ricoh memory which seems highly unlikely on paper. You had to be there.

its a buzzard

Worst: being stuck in a queue at Sainsbury's tills at 4:30pm on Saturday and entertaining the possibility of missing kick off. Fighting the urge to bellow at all the fuckers in front me loading their multipacks of Monster Munch and litre bottles of fizzy shit at a snail's pace. This after being told at quarter past four that we had to get "essentials".
Best: finally sitting down in front of a Sky screen at 4:44 pm with a pint in my hand. Better than an orgasm.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

olderskyblue

best
The few seconds of huckerby’s mazy run dnd goal v Man U.
worst
Equaliser for Sheffield utd in last seconds of quarter final
Dion missing his pen in the shoot out at shef utd

skybluelee

Best by far was the 60 seconds or so after Gus' goal on Saturday. That moment shared with my daughters - never felt so happy and filled with joy in my entire life, at football or otherwise.

Worst - Dabo's penalty.

Followed the club for 40 years, travel thousands and thousands of miles per season for the privilege like so many others do, but never have I experienced such intense contrasting emotions as those, and to think they occurred within an hour or so of each other.

hopon66

One of the Best...
Wycombe Away in the league Cup in 1994ish. Scoring goals in last minutes to win 5-4 on aggregate.

Worst...
Sutton United. My first away game at about 9 years old. Horrible day.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

DannyThomas_1981

Best by far was the 60 seconds or so after Gus' goal on Saturday. That moment shared with my daughters - never felt so happy and filled with joy in my entire life, at football or otherwise.

Worst - Dabo's penalty.

Followed the club for 40 years, travel thousands and thousands of miles per season for the privilege like so many others do, but never have I experienced such intense contrasting emotions as those, and to think they occurred within an hour or so of each other.
I agree with Lee - Best for me after 40+ years was Hamer's goal for all kinds of reasons.

Worst - Sheffield United away on pens.

I was over Saturday's shoot out pretty quickly - left Wembley very late with some of my closest family and friends with immense pride in our Club.

Although if we'd been defeated after Panzo's late error - it would have taken me years to get over.

Garlana86

Not gonna lie, i half expected that Panzo moment when he came on at Boro away for Fads who had been a brick wall all game. Thank god it wasnt what dictated the outcome, it broke me more than the Dabo penalty.

I could go on all day with great and bad moments with this club but here are ones that always stick in my mind

worst
1973 FA Cup Quarter Final away at Wolves L 0-2- wasn't there as my dad wouldn't let me go because of too large a crowd. Sat at home watching world of sport as the 2 goals went in and was an absolute distraught 9 year old.
1974 League Cup Quarter Final replay away at Manchester City - Was at the match and 2-1 up with about 12 mins to go. Dodgy Francis Lee penalty and we crumbled to a 4-2 defeat. Again took me days to get over it.
1974 FA cup replay away at QPR - Stan Bowles last minute free kick to defeat us 3-2- was at the game and totally stunned. My dad's mate was in tears.
1981 League Cup Semi-final at West Ham - just devastated especially after the first leg comeback.
1998 FA Cup Quarter Final replay away at Sheff Utd - Took me ages to get over that one as we should never have got to penalties.

best
There are the obvious ones but the actual best ever moment for me was the Gynn equaliser in the semi-final against Leeds. Never celebrated a goal more and the best atmosphere that I doubt will ever be surpassed.

pusbccfc

Worst: Being 2-0 down away at Morecambe in the middle of December in League 2. Snowed most of the day. Could hardly get a bag of chips the town was completely closed down.

The attendance was 1700 with about 250 Coventry fans. Robins decided to do his usual trick of putting Vincenti on the wing.

Forest Green was low but Morecambe was the worst. Closest I've ever come to giving up.

clint van damme

Worst: Being 2-0 down away at Morecambe in the middle of December in League 2. Snowed most of the day. Could hardly get a bag of chips the town was completely closed down.

The attendance was 1700 with about 250 Coventry fans. Robins decided to do his usual trick of putting Vincenti on the wing.

Forest Green was low but Morecambe was the worst. Closest I've ever come to giving up.

Sure there were more than 250 there.
Had 4 different cancellations/schedule changes to our trains on the way home as well.
Not sure I class it as worse than Forest Green because at least we were dry!

WestEndAgro

Saddest, was listening to BRMB radio for the Second leg defeat at West Ham, as a young child I was unconsolable.

Worst, was Sheffield United in the Quarter final, with "that" Volderman miss.

Best, several, Notts County, Middlesbrough obviously THE 87 run. Wilsons goal at Blackburn, all the last day escapes etc, way too many to mention.

CTID 💙

pusbccfc

Sure there were more than 250 there.
Had 4 different cancellations/schedule changes to our trains on the way home as well.
Not sure I class it as worse than Forest Green because at least we were dry!

Yeah you're right. Although just 546.

We would take twice that on a midweek game these days.

Hertsccfc

Best

Micky Gynn's goal in the semi final. That celebration was the loudest I have heard.

Regis' goal in the Quarter Final. I am not sure how I managed not to celebrate as I was in home fans area.

Kilcline's goal against Luton. The pressure leading up to it made it all the better.

Worst

Sutton's second goal and the realisation that we really were going to lose.

Catching sight of Kevin Drinkell looking like a hippopotamus in the mud at Northampton in a truly abject display.

Dabo's miss.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Best, to many to mention.

Worst, Went to an away game at WBA , night game lost 6-1 or was it 7-1, lost count.

croatskyblue

Best: Jimmy Hill starting to sing the sky blue song after the last game at Highfield Road- euphoric, emotional, proud, everything good about the club and it’s history for all generations of fans in that one moment

Worst: Villa’s winner in 2001, when that went in we knew we were finally down, and the atmosphere went from tense to absolutely toxic, and to be honest very aggressive and uncomfortable

eastwoodsdustman

I was there too and yes it was very very bad. Vadane Oliver ( i think his name was) gave the defence the runaround. I thought he'd kick on and go up the leagues as he looked brilliant but never really did.

My worst feeling was losing away to Bury in our League 1 relegation year. I had known we were bad all season but getting dicked by them really hit home how low we'd gone.
I know we went into league 2 soon after but most of that season was a fairly positive experience in the main.

Best experience has to be Killer lifting the cup, although, both Notts county and Boro away in the play off semi's were both brilliant as well.

JulianDarbyFTW

Best: Huckerby v Man Utd. The atmosphere was something else that night.
Worst: v Worcester. I stopped going for a while after that, not because of that loss in isolation but because I hated Stephen Pressley with a passion, and I swore I wouldn't go again until he went. Childish and probably unfair on the team, but it was just how strongly I felt at the time.

LastGarrison

Couple of obvious ones but:

Best

Huckerby v Man U
Misfud v Man U away
Adebola’s run and goal from the half way line against Blackburn away
McAllister volley v Derby
Ward last minute header v Torquay
Isias’ first crunching tackle within minutes of coming on, on his home debut
Keane’s debut
A ridiculous bit of skill from Hadji away at Watford when we hadn’t won away all season when he took on his knee, kept it up and then tried a l volley from close to their goal line which the keeper tipped over
Some of Steven Hughes’ saves against Stoke at home

Worst

Villa relegation game
Rochdale away in the cup
Pretty much anytime Man U scored and half of Highfield Road celebrated
Bradford at home fireworks night
Wimbledon at home midweek when they brought less than a coach full
The fucking frustration of Strachan never making subs
Keith O’Neill

duffer

Best: Houchen's header and the final whistle in 1987.
Honourable mentions: Speedie chipping the goalie at various grounds. Any Big Mo dribble. Peter Ndlovu leaving Liverpool players on their arses.

Worst: Can't think of many. Lloyd McGrath breaking his leg in a nothing game, perhaps. Leaving HR for the last time, maybe. Seeing those fucking Wasps logos on our stadium, definitely!

I don't think I dwell on the bad stuff too much, or maybe I repress it. Perhaps that's why I'm so angry. :D

Blind-Faith

Best:

Gus goal in semi final at Middlesbrough

Johnny Jackson goal vs the Albion

Todd Kane goal away at Bournemouth

Man Utd away in the cup under Dowie

Last game at Highfield Road

worst:

Playoff final and the days following it

JPT vs Crewe - more of a feeling of disbelief that we lost and they only had 3 attacks on goal all night, and scored 3 goals 😂

This thread is therapeutic so thank you 🙏

Last edited:

Speedies_Chips

Saddest, was listening to BRMB radio for the Second leg defeat at West Ham, as a young child I was unconsolable.

Worst, was Sheffield United in the Quarter final, with "that" Volderman miss.

Best, several, Notts County, Middlesbrough obviously THE 87 run. Wilsons goal at Blackburn, all the last day escapes etc, way too many to mention.

CTID 💙
Any relation to Moldovan? :)

Gint11

There’s loads to mention them all of course but

0-1 at Villa was special
Checkatrade win. Not for the tournament or opponent, it was the first time I visited wembley to see us with my dad and lift a trophy.
Losing away to villa to relegate is was horrible
Losing FA Cup semi to sheff utd hurt when I was fully expecting a win.
Worst away game was 4-0 drubbing at Oxford when mark Venus was in charge. I left after 30 mins

Hobo

Worst moments
Relegation from Prem.
Away defeat Chester LGE Cup.
Jimmy Hill selling Gary Thompson when we had a squad of about 15 but doing well
WBA 7 v 1 Cov. Mainly because we were a really good side and didn't see it coming.

Best moments
Terry Gibson scoring winner at Man Utd (thank you for all your spare change Man U fans).
FA Cup away Man U, Stoke away, Sheff Wed and Leeds Semi - that team just made me quietly confident.

Winning FA Cup - walked on air for two weeks.

eastwoodsdustman

Best: Huckerby v Man Utd. The atmosphere was something else that night.
Worst: v Worcester. I stopped going for a while after that, not because of that loss in isolation but because I hated Stephen Pressley with a passion, and I swore I wouldn't go again until he went. Childish and probably unfair on the team, but it was just how strongly I felt at the time.
I wouldnt renew my season ticket until Coleman left. I renewed the day he went.

wantageskyblue

Best: Gary Thompson’s winner v WHU in the home leg of the LC SF - really thought it gave us a chance of going to Wembley for the 1st time, followed very closely by Keith Houchen’s goal in the Hillsborough FA Cup semi final.

Worst: Cyrille scoring for Villa in the 2nd minute last game of the season at Villa Park
Oxford scoring their 4th goal against us at the Kassam after about an hour in League 1 in November 16, and knowing that we a) we didn’t have a proper manager and b) that we were going down to L2.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

That FA Cup defeat to Sheff Utd is still my worse moment supporting city.
It hit me so hard, it still haunts me now.
I know it should be one of the semi final defeats, or a relegation or Saturday, but that result really got to me.
Winning the Cup final was the best.
Yep, the specific moment they equalised I just thought we've fucked this.

Also, just before the Luton game where we found out Dublin was leaving.

Game at Tranmere we were getting trounced and David Burrows got sent off. Swear he threw his boots at someone.

One of the best moments that springs to mind was Moldovan scoring at Villa Park.

Last edited:

Skybluecol

Best moments
1. Houchen's diving header
2. Hamer's winner vs Boro
3. My 1st ever game at HR with my Dad and sitting at the front of the Spion Kop

Worse moments
1. Walk back to the car after we were relegated at Villa Park
2. The moment I found out we were going to be playing at home in Northampton
3. Losing to Sutton in the Cup

Users who are viewing this thread