Ben Stevenson - Brentford (1 Viewer)

Astute

Sisu don't want to get out of this league
Why do you think that?

Do you really think that they want us to stay at this level so their club that they want to sell is only worth a quid at the most?

Sky Blue Kid

Why do you think that?

Do you really think that they want us to stay at this level so their club that they want to sell is only worth a quid at the most?
Unless they show serious intent to get us out of this league then yes, I would say they have no intention of bettering the Football Club. There has to be some reasoning behind them staying here. It's certainly not for the good of our Football Club.

Astute

Unless they show serious intent to get us out of this league then yes, I would say they have no intention of bettering the Football Club. There has to be some reasoning behind them staying here. It's certainly not for the good of our Football Club.
So the owners of every club that doesn't keep pumping money into their club don't want promotion?

It isn't just down to money in this Division. Ask the biggest spenders Sheffield United. How many years have they been stuck in Division 3 now?

Sky Blue Kid

So the owners of every club that doesn't keep pumping money into their club don't want promotion?

It isn't just down to money in this Division. Ask the biggest spenders Sheffield United. How many years have they been stuck in Division 3 now?
Every season the budget has been slashed = less fans attending = players brought in that are nowhere near as good as those that are sold/let go. Yes. Sheff Utd are the biggest spenders, but look where they are atm Astute. Top of the league, and on what I saw of our game against them, there is a difference in class between them and us. Sheff Utd IMHO will piss it mate ;)

letsallsingtogether

Every season the budget has been slashed = less fans attending = players brought in that are nowhere near as good as those that are sold/let go. Yes. Sheff Utd are the biggest spenders, but look where they are atm Astute. Top of the league, and on what I saw of our game against them, there is a difference in class between them and us. Sheff Utd IMHO will piss it mate ;)
TBH didn't think they were that good.

slowpoke

I actually feel maddison was the better player having seen them both play. Stevenson looks no where near a championship player whereas maddison could probably do a job

Skybluefaz

I actually feel maddison was the better player having seen them both play. Stevenson looks no where near a championship player whereas maddison could probably do a job
They are different types of players, I'd much rather have Stevenson. I think he'll be a far better player. He affects the game much more than Madderz did in my opinion.

Nick

Administrator
I prefer Stevenson, I don't know the lad but he comes across as a bit more of an honest player. None of the diving and JM10 stuff.

Captain Dart

Good. Should hold out for as much as possible.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
11th hour sale on Jan 31st then.

Captain Dart

Nah, can't see that happening this year.
So do you think that no one will be sold in this window? I think that scenario is very unlikely.

torchomatic

So do you think that no one will be sold in this window? I think that scenario is very unlikely.

No, I never said that. I was saying it won't be at the last minute. I think when/if Stevenson goes it will be earlier on in the window, not at the last minute as you suggested.

fernandopartridge

It doesn't matter if it's at the last minute as long as a plan is in place for replacing him, if it was the last minute in order to attain the highest fee then good provided a replacement is in place.

Captain Dart

No, I never said that. I was saying it won't be at the last minute. I think when/if Stevenson goes it will be earlier on in the window, not at the last minute as you suggested.
The only reason I suggest last minute is that holding on to the player as long as possible is usually the best way to maximise their value.
But it is a game between buyer and seller, the seller can't afford to let the sellers interest cool so much that the look elsewhere.

torchomatic

It doesn't matter if it's at the last minute as long as a plan is in place for replacing him, if it was the last minute in order to attain the highest fee then good provided a replacement is in place.

£2M for someone who has played so little first team football would be good business.

trevelfarandwide

£2M for someone who has played so little first team football would be good business.

This is pretty much the absolute bottom line, isn't it - the inevitable will happen, he'll be sold, so anything at £2million or thereabouts is hard to reject.

As a fan base, we need to accept and realise that this club has to sell talent to stay afloat.

Skyblueweeman

How much of the Stevenson money do you think Slade will see?

Well apparently there's still money from this seasons budget (before the Stevenson sale) and the loanees have gone back so their wages are now freed up. In answer to your question, I'm not sure but we know that we need to balance running cost deficits with player sales (like many clubs) so I suspect very little but maybe we're not as desperate for it as previous windows. Maybe.

And Slade already seems a better working in the transfer window than our past few managers.

Sky Blue Kid

This is pretty much the absolute bottom line, isn't it - the inevitable will happen, he'll be sold, so anything at £2million or thereabouts is hard to reject.

As a fan base, we need to accept and realise that this club has to sell talent to stay afloat.

Don't think anyone's got a problem with that... But if the outcome is the same as Maddison's sale, ie- nothing put back into the team(No proof any has) then I DO have a problem with it!

Sky Blue Kid

Well apparently there's still money from this seasons budget (before the Stevenson sale) and the loanees have gone back so their wages are now freed up. In answer to your question, I'm not sure but we know that we need to balance running cost deficits with player sales (like many clubs) so I suspect very little but maybe we're not as desperate for it as previous windows. Maybe.

And Slade already seems a better working in the transfer window than our past few managers.

Totally agree with that, but don't forget Mowbray said that SISU need to invest to push on. ;)

skyblueelephant76

Don't think anyone's got a problem with that... But if the outcome is the same as Maddison's sale, ie- nothing put back into the team(No proof any has) then I DO have a problem with it!
We paid fees for Jones and Turnbull, is that not proof that some was put back into the team?

shmmeee

I don't think anyone doesn't realise that. The debate is over whether it's best to sell at the first opportunity or to hold on and try and push prices up/gain the benefit of the player outselves.

Just to pull some figures from my ass: let's say George Thomas suddenly turns into a 20 a season striker (don't laugh, it happened to Wilson), and we are sitting in striking distance of the play-offs. Should we sell for £1/2m because "he's hardly played any first team football" or should we keep him to make £5/10m getting promoted?

Obviously that situation is cut and dried, but blur the lines a little more and the question remains. Ultimately, the best money maker for the club is success, not player sales. The balance always has to be struck between short term financial stability and long term strategy.

Again, this is mostly down to poor expectation management from the club. We talk about being skint, yet also talk about building a ground. We say selling Madders will "provide a foundation for the club for years to come" then find out we need to sell the family jewels a year later to make ends meet.

you're an idiot

Whereas in 3 years he could be worth £6m?! Why sell our assets way before they potentially develop into premier league/championship players at peanuts. It means every year we do the same time and time again like P'boro or Crewe have done so well. Whereas, Southampton held on to Bale, Walcott etc and sold every 2-3 years rather than every year. Look where they are, that surely was a factor in their success along with the investment. Don't forget Walcott was subject to prolonged enquiries from Arsenal when Southampton were where we are. Lallana was down here too with Southampton - then goes for £25m?

Users who are viewing this thread