Ben Stevenson - Brentford (1 Viewer)

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

It will be the Coventry City board.
Oh right that will be the great wheeler and dealer Tim Fisher then. :facepalm: :eggonface: :facepalm: :wacky:

shelby76

Think 2 million with clauses is best we will get if Ben had international experience could go for more, hope club gets deal over the line and it does not get hijacked by others agents touting there players.

Great_Expectations

Strong rumours that an offer has been accepted, so whatever we wanted for him they must have matched.

Shame to see him go at such a young age. He is the sort of player you can build a team around, especially over the next few seasons. Alas, we are a L1 club and that's the reality of our situation unfortunately. Hopefully the money will be put to good use.

shmmeee

£2m plus clauses I'd accept, though not be happy about losing another player before we see them develop. He may look better than Madders, but Madders had proved himself in the first team longer.

Still don't want to sell him though and shouldn't need to. As with every other transfer though, time will tell. Said that about Wilson and I think it's safe to say we didn't improve the squad, ditto Madders, so I don't hold out much hope. If it's not to help the club survive, I don't get why we are desperate to sell him (accepting/negtiating the first offer this early is desperate).

ccfchoi87

£2m plus clauses I'd accept, though not be happy about losing another player before we see them develop. He may look better than Madders, but Madders had proved himself in the first team longer.

Still don't want to sell him though and shouldn't need to. As with every other transfer though, time will tell. Said that about Wilson and I think it's safe to say we didn't improve the squad, ditto Madders, so I don't hold out much hope. If it's not to help the club survive, I don't get why we are desperate to sell him (accepting/negtiating the first offer this early is desperate).

I don't think he looks as good as Madders. He's a top player don't get me wrong but Madders had something special about him

bawtryneal

As mentioned on this thread and others the key issue is how the funds get allocated. If used to strengthen the first team and make us competitive for promotion next season then it has my blessing. If used to support operating losses and line SISU pockets then great disaapomtment.
Slade has done a great job so far,in my opinion. With an extra million quid in the kitty he would be odds on to get us promoted next season. This would suit the fans and owners and get bums on seats. Not rocket science Mr Fisher.

dongonzalos

I think he is only worth a million if you got a million for him and a million for Harries.
You are doing very well.
It's a gamble for the clubs buying them at this stage of their careers.
Maddison in my book was pretty much proven. He was changing games and hence why he was more expensive.
Stevenson has changed games twice.
If he played again next season or possibly the rest of this season and did the same that's when you would be looking st you 2-3 millions.
Sambou was the one where we really lostvoutcon the money a striker. If he was in thecteam this year and scoring goals that's where your big big money is.
If SISUvwant to make a fortune out of the academy to find s squad to get promoted then they need to produce some quality strikers and get them to stay long enough to get a season in the first team.
Wilson this year would fetch well above 5 million in the same circumstances.

skybluetony176

Problem is that again we're selling in the January sales. Why don't we ever seem to hold on to our young talent until the summer? Give them chance to get an international call up raising their value, give them chance to get a full competitive season under their belt raising their value. For the sake of waiting a few months continually selling in January seems a very desperate ill thought out strategy that is more about desperation than getting value for the club and is inevitably going to reflect in the fee we get.

hill83

Problem is that again we're selling in the January sales. Why don't we ever seem to hold on to our young talent until the summer? Give them chance to get an international call up raising their value, give them chance to get a full competitive season under their belt raising their value. For the sake of waiting a few months continually selling in January seems a very desperate ill thought out strategy that is more about desperation than getting value for the club and is inevitably going to reflect in the fee we get.

I don't know why you are moaning, we should be grateful that we are getting almost 20 games out of one of our most promising youngsters in years. We are so lucky.
I'm crying with joy.

Sky Blue Pete

I think it's desperate times Tony. What money do you think ccfc have to fund the rest of the season without transfer sales?

The owners are not investing and the crowds are very low way below budget

letsallsingtogether

I think it's desperate times Tony. What money do you think ccfc have to fund the rest of the season without transfer sales?

But we have made a profit?
We are cash flow positive.

skybluetony176

That's the point. If the owners had the interest or foresight to see that we've got a player coming through the ranks who is more than likely going to go up in value the longer he's here (within reason) why wouldn't you bankroll the club if you have to for a few months to secure a better price later? By continually selling to the first bidder in January we're not getting value for money, we're setting a low standard of ability in the transfer market as sellers, we're inviting other clubs to take the piss because they know that there's a fair chance that they can and all this adds up to is a further spiralling down of the club.

skybluetony176

From selling players last year, and we will need to do the same again this year. And next year, and the year after.
It's shit and I hate it but it's not difficult to understand.

It's not but why not wait until the transfer window proper when there's more chance of a bidding war raising the price, the player will have a full season under his belt raising the price and maybe just maybe have earned an international call up again raising their stock.

hill83

It's not but why not wait until the transfer window proper when there's more chance of a bidding war raising the price, the player will have a full season under his belt raising the price and maybe just maybe have earned an international call up again raising their stock.

I agree. I can only assume the people investing know fuck all about football and it's all based on risk. Sell now for money, or potentially never get the chance to sell at all as he snaps his leg off and retires.

letsallsingtogether

From selling players last year, and we will need to do the same again this year. And next year, and the year after.
It's shit and I hate it but it's not difficult to understand.
Thing is I also understand it.
But there comes a time when there is no one good enough to sell what happens then?
The Club need to get supporters back all this selling is short term blinkered buisiness, need to look at The longer term.
They are losing supporters every game so the players you sell each time need to be better and get you more money then the last one.:(

clint van damme

Thing is I also understand it.
But there comes a time when there is no one good enough to sell what happens then?
The Club need to get supporters back all this selling is short term blinkered buisiness, need to look at The longer term.
They are losing supporters every game so the players you sell each time need to be better and get you more money then the last one.:(

hopefully they're not looking at the long term because they don't intend to be here in the long term.

ceetee

Does a struggling Div 3 club need flair players like Maddison and Stevenson, or are we better off with solid journeyman.

Astute

Does a struggling Div 3 club need flair players like Maddison and Stevenson, or are we better off with solid journeyman.
Does a Division 3 club need to build up a squad with the better young players coming through complementing other players signed or keep selling any player that has any value whilst bringing in journeymen who will only be with us for 6 months to a year?

We have had to rebuild every season. And whenever we have started well we have sold if the players don't get injured. Then some wonder why we are still in Division 3 and not doing as well as clubs with lower budgets.

NorthernWisdom

Always difficult to tell with youngsters isn't it, and often easy to be wise after the event.

Especially at the level we're at, players tend to stand out a bit if they can trap a ball(!)

torchomatic

ceetee

My thought is that we have first to avoid relegation, and then, obviously not this season, look to promotion. We can't afford to keep players on the books because we will need them if and when we get promoted.
I'm not claimimg to be right and more than happy to hear other views.
I'm off out so if anyone replies I'm not ignoring them..

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

OK, 11 pages on the Stevenson sale.

Has he been sold yet? :D

Seriously though, if we are bargaining for a better price that's good. We should then just get it done if inevitable and bring in the replacement(s). I'm hopeful Slade will do that.

torchomatic

Shouldn't be allowed especially when you take into consideration Fisher's we have to sell to balance the books statement coupled with his " we are cash flow positive and are set to make a million pound to fit mantra.

I agree, just pointing out evil CCFC aren't the only club who don't disclose fees. We can attack them for lots of reasons, but this really isn't one of them.

johnwillomagic

I like Stevenson but he is our most saleable asset and RS clearly wants to make substantial changes to the squad who let's face it have not been good enough foist half of season. Stevenson is a good player but is our most saleable asset to give Slade money to continue to shape the squad his way. I am not also sure Stevenson fits RS type of league 1 central midfielders either. If we get good money for him and hold out and then we have enough time to reinvest before this window shuts it probably make sense for all parties. View is short term but the short term need is very real escape relegation to league 2 we need to focus on this unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread