BBC article: Sky Blues pursuing option of new home within city (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
It's only a question Nick and as you always say "what's wrong with asking a question?"

You clearly don't want to believe his continued presence is keeping people away so I'm asking how many do you think he's adding to our attendances?

So is him being here keeping thousands away or not? It is not that I don't want to believe it, if it was factual I would believe it.

If somebody makes a statement but can't prove it or back it up, that isn't me not wanting to believe it. It is me asking for proof or facts so I do believe it.

How many people go to football matches because of the chairman they have? "Oh, there's a new chairman in. I had better get down there and support him". Do West Ham fans go to games because of something Karen Brady did on the Apprentice that week?

skybluetony176

Why would they ask the FL to give the OK if the site is in Coventry?

That doesn't add up does it. Which is what got me thinking that CA not being a local and not understanding the difference between Coventry and the Coventry"area". Why would he understand the difference between them? Especially if his briefing on the subject came from TF, which is quite likely.

skybluetony176

So is him being here keeping thousands away or not? It is not that I don't want to believe it, if it was factual I would believe it.

How many people go to football matches because of the chairman they have? "Oh, there's a new chairman in. I had better get down there and support him". Do West Ham fans go to games because of something Karen Brady did on the Apprentice that week?

Who knows, we'll only find out for sure when he's gone but I'm sure even you (unless you're a billy no mates ;) ) know someone who claim NOPM until SISU have gone. This could be a good compromise for some if not many. The only thing for certain is that his continued presence isn't putting bums on seats. Which is a problem all on it's own, given his position with the club.

No one goes to a football match because of the chairman but the decisions he or her make most certainly do have an impact on the direction of the club and that direction plays a big part in the reasons for going to a game. Whether that's employing AT, moving the club or hiking up the playing budget so the product improves or slashing tickets season tickets Bradford style.

You reap what you sew.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Who knows, we'll only find out for sure when he's gone but I'm sure even you (unless you're a billy no mates ;) ) know someone who claim NOPM until SISU have gone. This could be a good compromise for some if not many. The only thing for certain is that his continued presence isn't putting bums on seats. Which is a problem all on it's own, given his position with the club.

Do many people go to watch other teams based on the chairman then?

I don't know personally anybody who won't go now because of SISU and would go week in week out if they went and claim NOPM.

J

Jack Griffin

I believe the story has been updated today re a new stadium actually being in Coventry itself with the club actually asking for help from Coventry Council which is a huge volte face if true. The link to the story is via Les Reid on twitter, and will I suppose be in this weeks Coventry Observer,which I believe he now writes for.
It suggests that the Football League have actually viewed the suggested site in Coventry, the proof of the pudding will be inthe eating I suppose.

Reids article clearly says 'in Coventry' http://coventryobserver.co.uk/news/...-in-coventry-and-call-for-council-help-11209/

It also says 12,000 to 15,000 capacity initially, which is too small in my opinion.

Samo

That doesn't add up does it. Which is what got me thinking that CA not being a local and not understanding the difference between Coventry and the Coventry"area". Why would he understand the difference between them? Especially if his briefing on the subject came from TF, which is quite likely.

He'd have to be a bit of a dullard not to see the difference wouldn't he?

skybluetony176

Nick

Administrator
No one goes to a football match because of the chairman but the decisions he or her make most certainly do have an impact on the direction of the club and that direction plays a big part in the reasons for going to a game. Whether that's employing AT, moving the club or hiking up the playing budget so the product improves or slashing tickets season tickets Bradford style.

You reap what you sew.

So if that's the case anybody who goes because of TM and us playing decent football, then it is because of Tim Fisher? Anybody who went to watch Joe Cole play is because of Tim Fisher, I know a couple of people who went to watch against Barnsley especially and hadn't been up for a while.

(I don't think TF deserves credit for that btw, it isn't as black and white as that is it?)

skybluetony176

So if that's the case anybody who goes because of TM and us playing decent football, then it is because of Tim Fisher? Anybody who went to watch Joe Cole play is because of Tim Fisher, I know a couple of people who went to watch against Barnsley especially and hadn't been up for a while.

(I don't think TF deserves credit for that btw, it isn't as black and white as that is it?)

No. I think the outgoing man deserves the credit for getting him initially and dare I say it JS deserves the credit for him signing up full time.

TF has got himself in a position where he will never be forgiven for what he has done and also the way he went about it regardless of what joyous things he gets credited with in the future. That is reason enough for him to go. His position is untenable and that is because he is a victim of his own success, or lack thereof.

skybluetony176

So fisher would be bad for hiring AT, but not good for TM?

Let's not try and kid ourselves that TM is here because of TF. It's pretty clear he was only going to sign under certain circumstances and only one person could OK them circumstances and that person isn't TF.

letsallsingtogether

It's an interesting article, well done LR. So they've identified a site in Coventry, they need the help of the council and Wasps and the FL have inspected it. Now, I may be putting two and two together here but I'm thinking its The Butts.

No chance if they want to use it 24/7 need room for conference facilities car parking etc.
Have you ever tried to drive up that road in rush hour utter nightmare.
Good thing is I could possibly walk to the ground.

Nick

Administrator
Let's not try and kid ourselves that TM is here because of TF. It's pretty clear he was only going to sign under certain circumstances and only one person could OK them circumstances and that person isn't TF.

Again I made a point of saying I.don't think he gets credit, but if he gets the blame for bad managers then surely he should for good?

He didn't hire at either it was deliu

Can't throw all the bad stuff (I'm not saying he isn't resPonsible for some) at him but then find reasons why good stuff isn't down to him surely?

skybluetony176

Again I made a point of saying I.don't think he gets credit, but if he gets the blame for bad managers then surely he should for good?

He didn't hire at either it was deliu

Can't throw all the bad stuff (I'm not saying he isn't resPonsible for some) at him but then find reasons why good stuff isn't down to him surely?

But since his arrival TM has been the only good thing to happen. Like I said, let's not try and kid ourselves that he was responsible for that.

Grendel

But since his arrival TM has been the only good thing to happen. Like I said, let's not try and kid ourselves that he was responsible for that.

I'm pretty certain Waggot has gone because Mowbray didn't want him - fisher is still here.......

skybluetony176

I'm not, I made sure I put that in the original post.

Anyway, back on topic..

So we agree that with the exception of TM only shit things have happened under his watch and we can't credit him with TM as JS takes the credit for that one?

Nick

Administrator
So we agree that with the exception of TM only shit things have happened under his watch and we can't credit him with TM as JS takes the credit for that one?
You also mentioned ticket prices, they are good now, the decision to close a stand had been good too. That's not me saying it was his idea, but with your logic he was in charge then so it's down to him.

I just don't think thousands of people aren't coming just because of tim Fisher.

If you start to say that performances and managers and bad results are down to him, then they have to be when they are good too.

I think it's another excuse not to go to games. If he went there would be the next excuse.

NorthernWisdom

shmmeee

The prospect of a new stadium obviously helps as a negotiating tool with Wasps, but only if it’s credible.

Rugby’s Local Plan deadline is rapidly approaching. Maybe they have asked for a better reason to allocate precious land than to compensate Mr. Fisher’s investors for their commercial/political problems with a neighbouring council.

And now we have this sudden switch to Coventry itself. If a genuine site has been found within the city, especially near the centre, it would be a pleasant surprise. Who wouldn’t want HR2? On the other hand, if it’s a silly proposal, the City Council would be forced to knock it back – which might suit some obscure game plan too.

Seems strange to me that the Football League have been asked to ratify it. They can’t give planning permission, they can only tell CCFC if it’s OK to move from Coventry to Coventry. And it obviously is.

Maybe they had to check the Football League would be OK with a few deckchairs around a pitch at the Memorial.

We've been here before, I'll believe there's a site in Coventry when I see it.

Just wish people would stop talking and put something on the table.

Nick

Administrator
I'd agree, but CCFC and CCC absolutely *have* to talk to each other, so if a new man at the club and a statement they want a ground in the city helps to achieve that, I'll suck up and swallow.

Makes a change from 'we can't work with CCC' after all.
It kind of puts the ball in the council's court if he is saying we need their help and want to work with them

shmmeee

It kind of puts the ball in the council's court if he is saying we need their help and want to work with them

Kind of. Except last time we had this conversation we came to the conclusion there was nowhere suitable. Also, are we going back to square one three years into this process? Are we dropping those sites we were close on for an as yet undiscovered site?

The councils position has been pretty clear from the start: give us a proposal. Unless we really are talking about sticking it in the city centre or Ricoh 2: Electric Boogaloo with a joint partnership I'm not sure what's needed other than planning permission. We didn't talk to Rugby until we had a site AFAIK.

I dunno, maybe I'm being over cynical, but I just see the same words we've had for years and exactly zero action. Show me the money.

skybluejelly

I know we all think its bullshit , but wouldn't it be great if it was at the butts with cov rugby .. walking distance from the station, next to town ,and a chance to improve the venue for both clubs

covmark

I'd agree, but CCFC and CCC absolutely *have* to talk to each other, so if a new man at the club and a statement they want a ground in the city helps to achieve that, I'll suck up and swallow.

Makes a change from 'we can't work with CCC' after all.
ooh-matron.gif

Dirty boy!

NorthernWisdom

I dunno, maybe I'm being over cynical, but I just see the same words we've had for years and exactly zero action. Show me the money.

Don't thnk over cynical, words are indeed cheap.

But... it's a damned site easier to get a stadium through with council support, a damned site easier to buy the land. The local plan changed to accept a stadium would be nice would help, too.

And the process has to start *somewhere*.

No, I won't believe it until I see it. But I'd be a lot more optimistic if I knew CCC and CCFC were working together to try to make it happen.

James Smith

There's that Elephant in the room of JR2 and will they be prepared to talk to the club with that still hanging in the air?

Astute

I'm pretty certain Waggot has gone because Mowbray didn't want him - fisher is still here.......

So not only does TM decide what to do with the playing budget but he also decides who works for SISU?

Users who are viewing this thread