Bayliss off?

Discussion in 'Coventry City General Chat' started by SkyBlueDom26, Aug 1, 2019.

1. covcity4life

covcity4life Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £5,063.21
    he
    he didnt strugglr in league 1 and maddison 9m looks terrible compared to what he will go for now. some talents we need to be the ones that benefit!

2. skybluebeduff

skybluebeduff Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £280.55
    We've got until 12pm today to register any new player ready for tomorrow. I highly doubt we'll get one in that early, unless Preston loan us someone in the deal.

3. fernandopartridge

fernandopartridge Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £8,398.35
    Yep. Arguably as bad as it's ever been

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

4. NorthernWisdom

NorthernWisdom Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £3,253.50
    Not so concerned about that, any player we got would effectively be playing blind wouldn't they, with no time to train with their teammates. We could definitely do with a forward now, though.

5. gspotgaz

gspotgaz Active Member

Credit:
    £171.34
    It was inevitable he’d go. Eve of the season is shit timing but who’s really surprised. Kills the mood a bit for tomorrow

Sky_Blue_Dreamer likes this.
  6. SBAndy

SBAndy Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £2,405.22
    You’re on a real downer aren’t you. Cheer up, can you honestly say ya selling one of our brightest prospects on the eve of the season is a surprise?

7. Sky Blue Harry H

Sky Blue Harry H Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £2,917.79
    I'm with you on this. People were saying we got a good deal on Maddison (dig out my posts and you'll find I wasn't one of them). Considering our owners play hardball on most of this, I'm gutted that they didn't use the leverage of approaching deadlines to get nearer the £3m, However, if they have negotiated a decent % (say 25%) of sell on profit, then I am less concerned, as long as we replenish the squad (which looks light- especially in midfield)

Terry_dactyl likes this.
  8. SBAndy

SBAndy Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £2,405.22
    Whilst I don’t disagree with you, that again seemed like a situation where the club were actively seeking to sell to raise funds. Really limits negotiation when you start from such a base. Whilst we’re on fairly insecure financial footing, we’re never going to be in the best position to realise our perceived value of players.

9. covcity4life

covcity4life Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £5,063.21
    this is a big blow, he can play in a 3, a 2 or as number 10

ccfchoi87 likes this.
  10. GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,545.10
    I love Bayliss, was a joy to watch at times. Not many players can glide past players like he can. Yes he made mistakes and is very raw and I'd even say last season was disappointing but he'd still be a huge asset to us this season. Having said that, given our current situation a rumoured fee of £2million+ makes sense given his streaky form last season. The thing that most annoys me about the whole thing is people going 'Same every season!', 'Typical SISU cashing in' but are also refusing to go to this season. I am guessing these people have never been involved in business, but to survive (not in the league but in financial sense, as in still exist as a club) we have to be financially viable or we end up like Bury or Bolton. For this to happen, we either need arses on seats or to sell players, it's the most basic level of business imaginable.

11. better days

better days Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,756.60
    Personally I think this is Mark Robins' decision
    He knows where we are short and probably has players in mind
    Under FFP rules clubs at our level need to stay within spending limits which probably is one of the biggest factors
    Tom hadn't been starting games pre season so this looks like a plan
    Let's give MR a chance to show us what the plan is
    He's done ok so far

12. SBAndy

SBAndy Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £2,405.22
    I’m of the same impression, but I kind of wish he’d come out and say “this is all part of the bigger plan”. Mind, if he said that the Facebook forum would drown in slobber with all the dribbling.

13. Hobo

Hobo Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,008.66
    It depends. If a top player is sold but replaced with two or three decent players it can move the team forward.

However it seems SISU, unsurprisingly, arent going to reinvest; so yes a frustrating policy.

Many of the remaining fan base, having to endure another move out of the city, will understanably have a brittle resilience to poor team performance.

Customer satisfaction has never seemed high on SISU's priority list unfortunately.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  14. PVA

PVA Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,048.72
    Bayliss is a good prospect but is half the player Maddison was when we sold him. £2m (plus addons and sell on clauses) is not a bad deal.

15. the rumpo kid

the rumpo kid Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £369.55
    We had some glimpses of westbrooke last season ,now he will have the chance to step up and.make his own mark as a play maker. Good luck lad.

16. Colin Steins Smile

Colin Steins Smile Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £435.29
    Whilst I would have preferred to have retained Bayliss to develop him further, but the economic truth is that the club doesn't generate enough money at the moment to retain talent.
    From my perspective it's important that the club survives until a multi billionaire with more money than sense decides a 3rd Division football club with no ground or assets is a sound investment.

17. Liquid Gold

Liquid Gold Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £9,349.24
    A season long loan back would be good in this instance. Knows he’s here for the season so should knuckle down, doesn’t seem to be a bad apple and we’re now light in the area.

18. ccfchoi87

ccfchoi87 Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £400.35
    That would be ideal but I don’t think Preston will have signed him to be loaned out again.

19. better days

better days Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,756.60
    Agreed

Somerset Sky Blue likes this.
  20. procdoc

procdoc Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £229.85
    he’ll feature heavily for Preston. They’re not paying a club record fee to loan him out

Somerset Sky Blue likes this.
  21. Littlewood CCFC

Littlewood CCFC Active Member

Credit:
    £118.50
    Nah, if the rumoured transfer fee is to be believed its great business. He was bang average last season however it will only be great buisness if Mark's given some of the funds to bring in bright or someone of similar ability by end of window

22. cc84cov

cc84cov Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £3,735.43
    I don’t think he’s had his head turned not like it’s some massive premiership club he’s goig too more like the club have touted him out as we need cash fast.

23. ajsccfc

ajsccfc Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,301.75
    I was under no illusion he'd be with us forever but it still hurts that little bit more when a homegrown player leaves, although to be honest I was a little surprised we still had him at this point. Unless this move has been on the cards a while losing what I assume was still a first team player on the eve of the season concerns me.

24. ccfcway

ccfcway Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £5,012.01
    not convinced they will have paid £2m to loan him to a league one club where he will likely sit on the bench

25. Evo1883

Evo1883 Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £4,542.45
    Not sure why people think a club like us who relies on its income can turn away 3 million pound for 2 players, baffling tbh

26. Liquid Gold

Liquid Gold Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £9,349.24
    I don't think he's quite Championship ready, fair play if he gets game time there, it will improve him, but even Maddison had to spend a year in Scotland. It would be better long term for Preston to maximise his value by loaning him out and getting him up to speed.

27. cc84cov

Credit:
    £3,735.43
    Panic signings incoming I feel

fatso likes this.
  28. hill83

hill83 Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £9,942.21
    I always like to think it’s not about individuals, anyone can come in or go, ultimately if we’ve got a game plan it’s about the team as a whole. But this is an annoying one. And I know we aren’t even a medium sized club anymore whatever the size of the club actually actually means. But Preston for fuck sake.

The Leicester prick

Skyblueweeman and shmmeee like this.
  29. hill83

hill83 Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £9,942.21
    Thinks he’s still got 2 years on his contract at Juve pal

Also, I trust our scouts. No signing will be a panic signing. They’ll be on the list, however far down the list that is. But they’ll have been thoroughly scouted.

CanadianCCFC, Hobo, Nick and 6 others like this.
  30. wingy

wingy Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,475.75
    Like the Six fields season
    To fund an exceptional loss.

31. standupforcity

standupforcity Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £326.97
    No bothered...never one of my favourites...lazy... so I'm glad the speculation is over!

32. Evo1883

Evo1883 Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £4,542.45
    Tom bayliss can glide past a player I will give you that, but was always extremely frustrated with the way he went about doing the basics.
    Do our fans not in any way shape or form think they are over rating him somewhat, a player who has played all over the midfield and has 7 assists in 74 games is hardly a player that oozes the quality that some are suggesting, James Maddison was absolute levels above Tom tbh.
    1 assist in 10, 1 goal in 8

Liam Kelly played less and assisted as many last season and he sat in our back 4 all season lol

2 million is good money

I genuinely think people are giving Tom way too much credit for doing very little

standupforcity and cc84cov like this.
  33. cc84cov

Credit:
    £3,735.43
    Agreed

34. mark82

mark82 Moderator

Credit:
    £2,232.73
    We still have to meet FFP criteria though.

35. oldskyblue58

oldskyblue58 CCFC Finance Director

Credit:
    £2,302.70
    Just a question if Bayliss is being sold to fund the shortfall because of playing at St Andrews how does that leave surplus funds to buy players?

Also most deals are structured in terms of payment so are we sure it will be £2m up front or is it over a longer period? That affects the club's ability to buy in this transfer window. Same with the Chaplin deal

The concern i have with Bayliss going (and £2m isnt a bad fee) is that it leaves the squad thin in terms of depth as it stands when we get the inevitable injuries.

Always going to need to sell players simply to keep the club afloat. Which hints to me that there is no major funds or backing coming from the owners. They remain in my opinion as the "bank of last resort" they have been in recent seasons

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    Danceswithhorses likes this.