Battle (1 Viewer)

Frostie

Then fine we could have looked elsewhere. We’re only over the loanees because we’ve brought 2 more which of course if we brought Crowley in, would not be here.

Just think you're being overly critical. It was widely acknowledged we needed cover for Kelly & Godden & he's brought that in. I'm sure in an ideal world he'd improve other areas too but the budget can only stretch so far.

D

Deleted member 11652

Just think you're being overly critical. It was widely acknowledged we needed cover for Kelly & Godden & he's brought that in. I'm sure in an ideal world he'd improve other areas too but the budget can only stretch so far.

Not overly critical at all. If we go down from here, It’ll be a disaster and Robins would deserve all the criticism he’ll get.

Frostie

Not overly critical at all. If we go down from here, It’ll be a disaster and Robins would deserve all the criticism he’ll get.

That's what I disagree with.

I think us staying up with what we had before all the injuries would have been an achievement, staying up in spite of them would be phenomenal.

Our recruitment team is heralded as one of the best around by other recruiters, data analysts etc. I trust them & Robins to have got it right.

D

Deleted member 11652

That's what I disagree with.

I think us staying up with what we had before all the injuries would have been an achievement, staying up in spite of them would be phenomenal.

Our recruitment team is heralded as one of the best around by other recruiters, data analysts etc. I trust them & Robins to have got it right.

And that is my point. Our injures are not unusually bad. Why were we expecting to go the season without getting injuries?

If we go down from this position we haven’t got it right in January. That’ll be a fact that cannot be argued with.

Frostie

And that is my point. Our injures are not unusually bad. Why were we expecting to go the season without getting injuries?

If we go down from this position we haven’t got it right in January. That’ll be a fact that cannot be argued with.

I'd argue they are unusually bad. I don't recall recent seasons where half our starting XI have all been out injured at the same time have they?

That's not a fact, it's an opinion as you have no idea of who's available/affordable etc. If Gyökeres turns out underwhelming then who could we have got that is better etc?
January transfers across the board are typically more miss than hit.

Warwickhunt

I don’t know, I’m not paid to do it. Equally Robins wouldn’t know how to do my job but if I was working for him and I made a mistake I’m sure he’d complain.

I think James will prove a good signing. Jury is out on Gyokeres but I think Walker will come back and we’ll be okay.

I would have signed an attacking midfield player who can play wide if necessary. Whether that be Crowley or someone else. Get hold of the City’s scouting network and I’ll tell you who I would have picked.

But if we do go down, with the points cushion we have, questions will have to be asked why Robins signed these two players.
Gyokeres needs to play where he is told to play! he is young and impatient and kept looking for the ball rather than sitting on the defences shoulders and keep them occupied. he did not do that against Reading needless to say we had no outlet to send the ball up to.

D

Deleted member 11652

I'd argue they are unusually bad. I don't recall recent seasons where half our starting XI have all been out injured at the same time have they?

That's not a fact, it's an opinion as you have no idea of who's available/affordable etc. If Gyökeres turns out underwhelming then who could we have got that is better etc?
January transfers across the board are typically more miss than hit.

When January ends, only Godden from our first 11 will be injured and his replacement will have cost £1million. We then have loaned another replacement for him.

Arguably Kelly would be first 11 but we brought in Sheaf and James to replace him.

Rose had a terrible start to the season. Maybe we would play him ahead of Hyam but I doubt it.

Our injuries are not that bad.

Hobo

You make a lot of assumptions and make recruitment sound easy. I also feel, rather than just see how things pan out - you have already made your mind up and getting in early.

Yes everybody gets injuries - but ours do seem to have been key players in key positions.

For instance Godden, Walker and Kelly.

Alternatively it could have been Baka, Kasteneer and Biamou?

The effect on our season is very different given the two scenarios.

D

Deleted member 11652

You make a lot of assumptions and make recruitment sound easy. I also feel, rather than just see how things pan out - you have already made your mind up and getting in early.

Yes everybody gets injuries - but ours do seem to have been key players in key positions.

For instance Godden, Walker and Kelly.

Alternatively it could have been Baka, Kasteneer and Biamou?

The effect on our season is veru different given the two scenarios.

Well no because injuries are far more likely to happen to players actually playing.

My whole post was based on the hypothetical scenario that we go down. I’m not saying the signings will fail I’m saying if they do and we are relegated, the blame will be at Robins’ door

Hobo

Well no because injuries are far more likely to happen to players actually playing.

My whole post was based on the hypothetical scenario that we go down. I’m not saying the signings will fail I’m saying if they do and we are relegated, the blame will be at Robins’ door
Injuries are far more likely to happen when players are stepping up a level, are playing on the stretch - not fully fit. Remember our squad stopped playing in March and couldnt train properly due to Covid restrictions.

Aston Villa won the league 80/81 and had a massive slice of luck - I think they only used about 18 players all season.

Why do you say lose it from here? Newly promoted teams often find second half of season more difficult - because teams are less complacent 2nd time around and also worked out how to play them and seen how other teams beat them.

Too many broad brush strokes in your arguments for me. Point number 1 just because a player is available doesnt mean he wants to join Coventry.

Grendel

That's hardly on the manager though is it?
The only reason we signed a striker is due to injuries no?

No it’s because he has a load of dross he signed - biamou, Bakayoko and Kastaneer that are eating wages and therefore we started The season with only 2 forwards of any quality whatsoever

cc84cov

No it’s because he has a load of dross he signed - biamou, Bakayoko and Kastaneer that are eating wages and therefore we started The season with only 2 forwards of any quality whatsoever

Signing is one thing using a budget on Baka extension is ludicrous

Frostie

They weren't signed with the Championship in mind though & we can't afford to overhaul the entire squad in one summer.

Bakayoko is the only one given a new deal & we obviously felt that persuading somebody better to come in as a 3rd/4th choice on similar money to what we're paying Bakayoko wasn't feasible.

Grendel

Signing is one thing using a budget on Baka extension is ludicrous

He also extended biamou after league 2 when he was never good enough at higher levels

Grendel

They weren't signed with the Championship in mind though & we can't afford to overhaul the entire squad in one summer.

Bakayoko is the only one given a new deal & we obviously felt that persuading somebody better to come in as a 3rd/4th choice on similar money to what we're paying Bakayoko wasn't feasible.

Come off it. Kastaneer was a disaster and also biamou should have been moved on after 1 year and this nonsense as to why we signed Bakayoko is an urban myth. We could have signed other players on his money

cc84cov

Come off it. Kastaneer was a disaster and also biamou should have been moved on after 1 year and this nonsense as to why we signed Bakayoko is an urban myth. We could have signed other players on his money

We let JCH for free

Just think about that for a second 🤣

Frostie

Re: Kastaneer, Yes, of course he has, nobody will deny that.

Personally I don't rate Biamou either & I think his contract probably had an auto extension in it but Robins knew that both of those 2 weren't up to it & has been trying for some time to shift them.

I thought Baka might be worth another year so can see the thinking but, admittedly, it's not worked out. Doesn't change the fact he wouldn't play if not for injuries.

We let JCH for free

Just think about that for a second 🤣

We didn't.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Therefore what you’re describing is the fact that we aren’t unusually unlucky with injuries, we just have a weaker squad. Which was exactly my point.

I think we have been a bit unlucky in terms of who they've happened too. Integral first teamers. We've had a couple of years where injuries to key players haven't been that bad or we've had the ability to adapt to the ones we have (Jones/Jobello). Do you think we'd have won the league last year with the first choice keeper, a main CB, two main strikers, both first team RWB's and a midfield lynchpin and leader missing for significant periods?

When you listen to things like MotD they're talk about Man City struggling because Aguero's injured, or Tottenham struggling with Kane missing, Liverpool because VVD is out. Single players when they've got squads of around 50 players, and the direct replacements for those missing are internationals on £100k+ a week.

We've got a small budget to even get a decent first team together for this level, let alone a squad. So to be missing up to half a dozen almost shoe-ins for the first team we're going to find an already difficult job much harder than most. So you can talk about recruitment all you like but we've already signed two loanees and a keeper to cover for those injuries using up funds we'd have much preferred to use strengthening elsewhere.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Gyokeres needs to play where he is told to play! he is young and impatient and kept looking for the ball rather than sitting on the defences shoulders and keep them occupied. he did not do that against Reading needless to say we had no outlet to send the ball up to.

Trouble is if he had with the lack of support it'd have just ended up with him being beaten to the ball by the CB's and Reading getting the ball back anyway. It's all very well just mindlessly following instructions. Worked well for the Light Brigade.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

More injuries happen in training than during matches. Mainly because you spend a lot more time on the training field than in games, despite the lower intensity.

Frostie

I think we have been a bit unlucky in terms of who they've happened too. Integral first teamers. We've had a couple of years where injuries to key players haven't been that bad or we've had the ability to adapt to the ones we have (Jones/Jobello). Do you think we'd have won the league last year with the first choice keeper, a main CB, two main strikers, both first team RWB's and a midfield lynchpin and leader missing for significant periods?

Exactly, and most of them missing all at the same time too.

Users who are viewing this thread