Battle (1 Viewer)

higgs

It was always going to be one but even more so now with the injurys to Godden Walker and Kelly in particular it's going to be a bloodbath of a battle between now and the end of the season. It won't be pretty but hopefully we give it one hell of a shot. Stop giving away soft goals and start grinding out some results once again. Would be an incredible achievement if we manage to stay up. Could be a real turning point for the club then if we can add to the squad in the summer to cement our place in the championship and then in a few years who knows where we could be but the next 4 months are going to be torture for all of us on here

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

steve cooper

The next 3 games are so important to this, 2 of the teams below us that we play, have played a game more (Forest & Birmingham).
A decent points haul could see us well clear, and could see us above or around the likes of Cardiff and even Huddersfield based on their current form.

D

Deleted member 11652

I think if we were to get relegated from the position we are in, it would be an absolute disaster from a management point of view.

I don’t buy that our injury troubles are that bad. Walker will return in the coming weeks and be available for the last 15/20 games at least. He’s a striker that we spent £1 million on.

Robins was given funds in January. He chose to spend that on James who plays in a position we weren’t really short in compared to other areas. He needs to prove he is superior to Sheaf or the signing will have been a complete failure. Bringing him in also means we lose Giles as an attacking outlet on the bench (not that he used it anyway).

He has also then been backed to bring in another striker. If this striker does not perform, that is down to Robins given that Gyokeres has already been deemed not good enough at championship level once this season.

In my eyes we are lacking in attacking midfield and the fact we only have one player (Giles) capable of playing as a winger, really limits our ability to switch to 4 at the back which it looks like we will have to do next week.

Given the points cushion we have, should we get relegated from this position, we would have to question Robins’ recruitment in January rather than a short period where neither Godden nor Walker were available.

Magwitch

Injuries not that bad? We have had Marosi, Rose, Kelly and Godden the spine of our team out for weeks , Rose has hardly played and all are arguably our best players last season.

higgs

Hopefully we start to get a few back soon like Marosi and Rose and Walker surely they can't be too far away now

D

Deleted member 11652

Where are the goals coming from ?

The striker we spent £1million on. The striker we have loaned in just a week ago. The three attacking midfielders that Robins believes are sufficient enough to stay up with. The midfielder that some on here believe to be worth £15 million. If the goals do not come, Robins is to blame.

Paxman II

Injuries have effected the side. Our backbone has been taken away. kelly is influential. Both first choice strikers out over long periods. That's a little bad luck. But James is a good signing. I don't think he is here to replace Sheaf either. We still have some good players at the club and a side that can do better. Missing our quality strikers is the reason we are not scoring. So tactically we must adapt. We have players who have a goal in them but are not taking up those positions. That will need to be changed. For example play Sheaf and push Hamer further forward.
As for missing such influential players over a long period, then yes it has made us looking to survive rather than doing a little better than we thought we might have done. Galvanising the squad now is important for Robin's and ensuring we get the best from them. Do that and we will be fine. Think we could end the season strongly too. Just keep our heads above water till we key players back.

Frostie

I don’t buy that our injury troubles are that bad.

😳

Dabo missed 6 games & only on as sub in 1 other
Dacosta only made 5 sub appearances
Rose only started 6 games
Kelly only started 9 games
Walker only started 9 games
Jones out for whole season
Jobello just 2 sub appearances
Maroši missed 11 & counting
Godden missed 11 & counting

O'Hare is only player to have played every league game. Given we've only played 24 that's pretty damning. Even now we have players playing through injuries.

Bear in mind most of them have spent some time injured simultaneously too, Godden & Walker not been fit at same time all season &, arguably we're missing half of our best XI at any given time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 11652

😳

Dabo missed 6 games & only on as sub in 1 other
Dacosta only made 5 sub appearances
Rose only started 6 games
Kelly only started 9 games
Walker only started 9 games
Jones out for whole season
Jobello just 2 sub appearances
Maroši missed 11 & counting
Godden missed 11 & counting

O'Hare is only player to have played every league game. Given we've only played 24 that's pretty damning. Even now we have players playing through injuries.

Bear in mind most of them have spent some time injured simultaneously too, Godden & Walker not been fit at same time all season &, arguably we're missing half of our best XI at any given time.

Dabo missing 6 games is hardly catastrophic. Da Costa, Jobello, Jones I don’t believe would ever have been considered regulars this year.

Rose was dropped prior to the injury and isn’t going to play while Ostigard is fit. Kelly is a blow but we signed sheaf, Hamer and James for that very reason.

Marosi is another blow, and of course walker and Godden. Luckily, walker will be back fit soon and we will have only gone I guess 4/5 games without one of them?

I anticipate other teams in the league have experienced the same injuries. Norwich off the top of my head.

Frostie

Unsure how accurate this is but puts our injury issues in perspective.

Misleading.
It's not necessarily the number of injuries it's to who & the fact so many have been simultaneously.
At least 4 of those plus Maroši would play every week, not the same for the other clubs.

What I don't think you're grasping is we can't afford to replace the injured players with the same quality like many Championship clubs can.

You say Dabo missing wasn't a big issue but we can't replace his quality & with Dacosta injured at the same time we ended up with a CB or LWB playing there - impacted us enormously.

Rose wasn't dropped, he played & kept McFadz out until getting injured.

The difference between other clubs are e.g. Teemu Pukki misses a couple of games for Norwich, they replace him with £5m Jordan Hugill who cost almost double our entire squad.

D

Deleted member 11652

Misleading.
It's not necessarily the number of injuries it's to who & the fact so many have been simultaneously.
At least 4 of those plus Maroši would play every week, not the same for the other clubs.

What I don't think you're grasping is we can't afford to replace the injured players with the same quality like many Championship clubs can.

You say Dabo missing wasn't a big issue but we can't replace his quality & with Dacosta injured at the same time we ended up with a CB or LWB playing there - impacted us enormously.

Rose wasn't dropped, he played & kept McFadz out until getting injured.

The difference between other clubs are e.g. Teemu Pukki misses a couple of games for Norwich, they replace him with £5m Jordan Hugill who cost almost double our entire squad.

Therefore what you’re describing is the fact that we aren’t unusually unlucky with injuries, we just have a weaker squad. Which was exactly my point.

Frostie

Therefore what you’re describing is the fact that we aren’t unusually unlucky with injuries, we just have a weaker squad. Which was exactly my point.

If that's what you meant then ok, but certainly not how it reads
I think if we were to get relegated from the position we are in, it would be an absolute disaster from a management point of view.

I don’t buy that our injury troubles are that bad.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Dabo missing 6 games is hardly catastrophic. Da Costa, Jobello, Jones I don’t believe would ever have been considered regulars this year.

Rose was dropped prior to the injury and isn’t going to play while Ostigard is fit. Kelly is a blow but we signed sheaf, Hamer and James for that very reason.

Marosi is another blow, and of course walker and Godden. Luckily, walker will be back fit soon and we will have only gone I guess 4/5 games without one of them?

I anticipate other teams in the league have experienced the same injuries. Norwich off the top of my head.
Yes, poor old Norwich and their £100m budget...

D

Deleted member 11652

That's hardly on the manager though is it?
The only reason we signed a striker is due to injuries no?

Yes. His choice of retaining Bakayoko and then bringing in Gyokeres will have to be judged if neither perform.

His decision to not bring in an attacking midfield player will have to be judged if Shipley or Allen do not perform.

His decision to not bring in another wide man or at least someone capable of playing wide will have to be judged if the system we are playing with fails.

His decision to bring in a defensive midfield player on high wages when we have sufficient cover in that area will have to be judged if we are relegated.

Injuries happen you have to expect them. If we go down, it will be for those reasons. I don’t believe we will anyway.

D

Deleted member 11652

Yes, poor old Norwich and their £100m budget...

I’m confused how a budget relates to a team being unlucky with injuries? They’ve had worse injury problems than us they just have the squad to deal with it.

Frostie

Yes. His choice of retaining Bakayoko and then bringing in Gyokeres will have to be judged if neither perform.

His decision to not bring in an attacking midfield player will have to be judged if Shipley or Allen do not perform.

His decision to not bring in another wide man or at least someone capable of playing wide will have to be judged if the system we are playing with fails.

His decision to bring in a defensive midfield player on high wages when we have sufficient cover in that area will have to be judged if we are relegated.

Injuries happen you have to expect them. If we go down, it will be for those reasons. I don’t believe we will anyway.

His decision to have no budget too no doubt?

D

Deleted member 11652

Who would you have signed then?

I don’t know, I’m not paid to do it. Equally Robins wouldn’t know how to do my job but if I was working for him and I made a mistake I’m sure he’d complain.

I think James will prove a good signing. Jury is out on Gyokeres but I think Walker will come back and we’ll be okay.

I would have signed an attacking midfield player who can play wide if necessary. Whether that be Crowley or someone else. Get hold of the City’s scouting network and I’ll tell you who I would have picked.

But if we do go down, with the points cushion we have, questions will have to be asked why Robins signed these two players.

Hobo

It was always going to be one but even more so now with the injurys to Godden Walker and Kelly in particular it's going to be a bloodbath of a battle between now and the end of the season. It won't be pretty but hopefully we give it one hell of a shot. Stop giving away soft goals and start grinding out some results once again. Would be an incredible achievement if we manage to stay up. Could be a real turning point for the club then if we can add to the squad in the summer to cement our place in the championship and then in a few years who knows where we could be but the next 4 months are going to be torture for all of us on here

Spot on. What annoys me is certain fans not getting their heads around the step up to this league and our limited resources. They slag off players for not being good enough like it is some revelation - yes we all know that and so does the manager, but it is what we have to work with and survive with. We just cannot go out and buy 5 or 6 quality players. We will have to get them over the next 3 summer transfer windows. If you dont like it go and support someone else.

Hobo

I don’t know, I’m not paid to do it. Equally Robins wouldn’t know how to do my job but if I was working for him and I made a mistake I’m sure he’d complain.

I think James will prove a good signing. Jury is out on Gyokeres but I think Walker will come back and we’ll be okay.

I would have signed an attacking midfield player who can play wide if necessary. Whether that be Crowley or someone else. Get hold of the City’s scouting network and I’ll tell you who I would have picked.

But if we do go down, with the points cushion we have, questions will have to be asked why Robins signed these two players.
Perhaps a decent attacking mid wasnt available? Sometimes you just have to improve where the opportunity presents itself.

D

Deleted member 11652

Perhaps a decent attacking mid wasnt available? Sometimes you just have to improve where the opportunity presents itself.

Possibly. I mean we knew for a fact Crowley was available so we’ll have to see how he does at Hull. I’m sure they’re a few attacking midfielders / wingers about that will move to championship clubs this window.

If we have improved, we won’t go down. If we go down, the signings won’t have improved us and that’s what Robins would have to answer to.

Hobo

[
Possibly. I mean we knew for a fact Crowley was available so we’ll have to see how he does at Hull. I’m sure they’re a few attacking midfielders / wingers about that will move to championship clubs this window.

If we have improved, we won’t go down. If we go down, the signings won’t have improved us and that’s what Robins would have to answer to.
Perhaps Hull had more money? Who knows?

D

Deleted member 11652

Do you think Hull could afford Matty James? We had the money to bring in an attacking midfielder, we chose a different option. That’s fine, as long as we stay up

Frostie

From what I've heard Birmingham didn't want to let Crowley go to a rival & we're already over the quota of loanees anyway.

D

Deleted member 11652

From what I've heard Birmingham didn't want to let Crowley go to a rival & we're already over the quota of loanees anyway.

Then fine we could have looked elsewhere. We’re only over the loanees because we’ve brought 2 more which of course if we brought Crowley in, would not be here.

Users who are viewing this thread