Match Thread Barnsley vs. Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 30th Mar (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

Whenever grimmer plays right back in leagie 1 we dont look as good. Sterling has been nowhere as bad as you say to boot

Hes simply a better player

He’s hardly played to be fair. With the play offs having already been bombed I don’t see the harm in letting Grimmer put himself in the shop window and leave on a high

Brighton Sky Blue

We deserve to be in the playoffs - unlucky on a number of occasions and rubbish on others - with what’s going on off the field to get to the playoffs be a great achievement- also might attract a new buyer once the shitstorm is over oh no that’s Covexit city

You get what you deserve and dropping 16 points against the bottom 6 (with Shrews and Bradford still to come) is what has cost us a shot

Brighton Sky Blue

Not over yet. Will be more twists to come. I agree it’s unlikely but Doncaster will sip up more than once.

We need to win every game or thereabouts. Donny have put the shit teams away and we’ve lost to them. You get what you deserve

LilleSkyBlue

Watched on ifollow

Really entertaining game. Thought Barnsley were the best opponents I've seen, really quick to break from defence to attack, neat passing around our area and some skilful players.

Feared the worst tuning in at 0-1 but we never rolled over. Our equaliser did us the world of good and gave us belief. Two smart goals too. Pleased for Thomas who looked threatening again. Some out-of-this-world skills from Bright at times. Overall we were up for it and went toe to toe with them- could easily have gone either way.

RegTheDonk

Not over yet. Will be more twists to come. I agree it’s unlikely but Doncaster will slip up more than once.
Yes, thinking positive for a change. Go back a couple of months we were something like 10 points adrift with more games played. Couple of weeks ago, it was back in our own hands. Fat lady hasn't sung just yet....though she IS gargling on water.

Covstu

I thought we were excellent and was surprised we battled back on two occasions. I really think we need t give Bayliss a rest, he is getting very sloppy in the midfield and costing us goals through silly mistakes, he is a young lad and a great talent but maybe needs the odd game out

skyblueeyesrevisited

Coming back twice against one of the best teams in the division shows we are going in the right direction. Well done to MR and all of the players. Let’s put Bristol Rovers to the sword.

Adge

Any other time and it’s a great result away against one of the best teams in the division, but unfortunately a win was needed yesterday in truth. Puts the Oxford game into perspective where a goalkeeper error has again cost us (although we were ineffective on the day too) but Doncaster had little trouble in dispatching Bristol Rovers at home when it mattered.
Still think it’s a bridge too far but will be going to Sunderland and Doncaster in hope.

cc84cov

Just watched the highlights

Sterling at fault for both goals Sunday league defending basics wtf was he doing 2 chances to clear the ball for the first then don’t track his runner.Second goal got sucked in when he wasn’t gonna even get close to the pass to their left back again not tracking his runner down the left.I know he’s young but kids 10 years old know to track their runners.

SBAndy

Just watched the highlights

Sterling at fault for both goals Sunday league defending basics wtf was he doing 2 chances to clear the ball for the first then don’t track his runner.Second goal got sucked in when he wasn’t gonna even get close to the pass to their left back again not tracking his runner down the left.I know he’s young but kids 10 years old know to track their runners.

It’s a mental fatigue thing. First full season and he’s getting tired mentally, leading to a loss of concentration and a slower decision making process. Think he could do with a rest for next week.

Irish Sky Blue

Don't think so, they were clearly the superior side but quite sloppy finishing kept us in it.
You watched a different game to me then. Yes, there were spells when they were on top but there were also spells when we were the better team. In terms of shots, they had loads more than us, most from distance and most were off target. We had by far the better chances. Reaction of the fans throughout matched the performance. We could see the players were working their socks off and were matching Barnsley. The ovation at the end was for a team who had given it their all and who had come within a whisker of winning. A win and a draw against the team Robins says is a cert for promotion tells it’s own story. Credit where it is due.

Brighton Sky Blue

You watched a different game to me then. Yes, there were spells when they were on top but there were also spells when we were the better team. In terms of shots, they had loads more than us, most from distance and most were off target. We had by far the better chances. Reaction of the fans throughout matched the performance. We could see the players were working their socks off and were matching Barnsley. The ovation at the end was for a team who had given it their all and who had come within a whisker of winning. A win and a draw against the team Robins says is a cert for promotion tells it’s own story. Credit where it is due.

Yes, our work rate was very good and it was pleasing to see Bakayoko chasing down defenders and Mason winning back possession after losing it. Both goals were clinically taken and we had some glorious chances to add to the tally when we caught them out. Doesn't alter my view that they were and are the better side but that's a difference of opinion that football's all about. They kept us penned in, forced us to give possession away and put us under immense pressure in different spells during the game. We could learn a great deal from them about how to play at home.

ccfcway

agreed. How many times on match threads during our poor spell were people critising saying that anyone can have shots off target from distance

Mucca Mad Boys

He’s hardly played to be fair. With the play offs having already been bombed I don’t see the harm in letting Grimmer put himself in the shop window and leave on a high

Playoffs haven’t been bombed at all. There’s 6 games left and we play Doncaster on the last day of the season.

Our minimum goal should be to cut the deficit to 2 points going into the final game.

Legia Sky Blue

Yes, our work rate was very good and it was pleasing to see Bakayoko chasing down defenders and Mason winning back possession after losing it. Both goals were clinically taken and we had some glorious chances to add to the tally when we caught them out. Doesn't alter my view that they were and are the better side but that's a difference of opinion that football's all about. They kept us penned in, forced us to give possession away and put us under immense pressure in different spells during the game. We could learn a great deal from them about how to play at home.

Certainly agree with the last sentence. They attacked with pace and numbers, it was noticeable how many players they had breaking into the box, whereas we normally have only one person to aim for when we break forward. The way we play is much more suited to playing away and counter attacking. It is also noticeable that our results are so much better against the better teams who look to attack us, rather than struggling teams who just defend in numbers, time waste from the off and look to physically out muscle us.

Brighton Sky Blue

Certainly agree with the last sentence. They attacked with pace and numbers, it was noticeable how many players they had breaking into the box, whereas we normally have only one person to aim for when we break forward. The way we play is much more suited to playing away and counter attacking. It is also noticeable that our results are so much better against the better teams who look to attack us, rather than struggling teams who just defend in numbers, time waste from the off and look to physically out muscle us.

Maybe we're afraid of getting countered ourselves? Multiple times they had players lining up to shoot and it made the wide man's work so much easier in terms of picking one out. Haven't watched them much this season but can imagine they've had some fun games

eastwoodsdustman

They looked vulnerable at the back because they pushed so many forward. There is a balance somewhere but their league position says they’re doing something right. We’re in a position where we can’t afford to lose games so have to play it tighter.

Legia Sky Blue

They looked vulnerable at the back because they pushed so many forward. There is a balance somewhere but their league position says they’re doing something right. We’re in a position where we can’t afford to lose games so have to play it tighter.

Not sure I agree that we have to be more cautious, at home anyway. If we pushed men forward more at home like Barnsley do, then yes there will be the odd game where we get counter attacked and lose because of it, but these are League 1 teams we are playing against, not Man City, and I think that overall we would have had better results at home with a much more attacking and less cautious approach.

skyblue025

We were shit against teams in the bottom 6 last season as well. If we do miss out on the playoffs which looks likely now it will be because of this.

TewkesburySkyBlue

We came back really well today after it looked like men v boys in the first half hour. Barnsley showing what you can achieve with a good keeper, conceded 2 but could have been more and a great save from Hyam's header. Barnsley made some good chances but wasteful shooting.

I'ma Bayliss fan but there is no defending him today, really off the pace and gave the ball away far too often.

The big thing we have to learn for next season is how to do a job on the poorer sides in the division. When the game opens up and teams want to play football we look like a good side but against agricultural teams that are happy to put numbers back we don't have an answer.

Covstu

We were shit against teams in the bottom 6 last season as well. If we do miss out on the playoffs which looks likely now it will be because of this.
But why is this, it’s not exactly the fact they sit back and we cannot break them down. Do we underestimate them? Do we spend time looking into the strengths of better teams but not the lower teams?

Mucca Mad Boys

We need to win every game or thereabouts. Donny have put the shit teams away and we’ve lost to them. You get what you deserve

Not necessarily, to say Doncaster have 6th place locked down is pretty foolish.

Doncaster are certainly favourites for that last playoff place, 5-6pts over 6 games is doable. After all, it wasn’t long ago that we were 10pts off and that all changed after 3-4 games unbeaten and playoffs seemingly out of reach. Our advantage is that we have to play Doncaster on the last day, that’s a pretty much a must-win game if we’re to finish 6th. In practice, if we can stay within 2pts of them, we give ourselves a chance. Therefore, we’ve got to make up 4pts over 5 games, that’s doable.

We’re not the only team with a difficult run in, Peterborough have Sunderland, Pompey, Blackpool and Fleetwood left to play. So hopefully, it’s between us, Donny and Blackpool on the last day.

Also, Doncaster lost to Shrewsbury, Wimbledon and have dropped points to teams in the bottom half, such as Scunthorpe, Oxford, Rochdale and Walsall.

Brighton Sky Blue

Not necessarily, to say Doncaster have 6th place locked down is pretty foolish.

Doncaster are certainly favourites for that last playoff place, 5-6pts over 6 games is doable. After all, it wasn’t long ago that we were 10pts off and that all changed after 3-4 games unbeaten and playoffs seemingly out of reach. Our advantage is that we have to play Doncaster on the last day, that’s a pretty much a must-win game if we’re to finish 6th. In practice, if we can stay within 2pts of them, we give ourselves a chance. Therefore, we’ve got to make up 4pts over 5 games, that’s doable.

We’re not the only team with a difficult run in, Peterborough have Sunderland, Pompey, Blackpool and Fleetwood left to play. So hopefully, it’s between us, Donny and Blackpool on the last day.

Also, Doncaster lost to Shrewsbury, Wimbledon and have dropped points to teams in the bottom half, such as Scunthorpe, Oxford, Rochdale and Walsall.

Yup my point is that we need them to drop 4 points while dropping none ourselves until we face them. As said many times would be very happy to be surprised

fernandopartridge

Yup my point is that we need them to drop 4 points while dropping none ourselves until we face them. As said many times would be very happy to be surprised

4 points is two draws though. Yeah it's only half of the sum but it isn't unfeasible. The other half of the sum is the bigger challenge, i.e. us winning all of our games. Still, it isn't over yet, we just need to keep going and take each game as it comes.

Mucca Mad Boys

The situation hasn’t particularly changed materially because we still have to win as many games as possible down this stretch because we play Doncaster on the last day.

Even if we fall away, I’m happy with this season and think it sets us up well going into next season. Regardless, I walk away a happy customer.

SkyBlueDom26

We need to win 4 at least I'd say to be in with a shout on the last day
If we mange 5 wins we'll make it!

Brighton Sky Blue

The situation hasn’t particularly changed materially because we still have to win as many games as possible down this stretch because we play Doncaster on the last day.

Even if we fall away, I’m happy with this season and think it sets us up well going into next season. Regardless, I walk away a happy customer.

I expect us to push on too, if the off field shenanigans are fixed. If they are not and we end up elsewhere that will clearly have an impact

SkyBlueDom26

If we beat Pompey and Sunderland then lose the other 3 nothing would be more typical
We will beat them scummy mackems! Would be so typical of us your right to lose against the shit teams.

Bristol Shrews and Bradford should be 9 points but you know what were like! There all must win games

Brighton Sky Blue

We will beat them scummy mackems! Would be so typical of us your right to lose against the shit teams.

Bristol Shrews and Bradford should be 9 points but you know what were like! There all must win games

Yeah hopefully we learned a thing or two from Barnsley about how to apply pressure at home

skyblue025

But why is this, it’s not exactly the fact they sit back and we cannot break them down. Do we underestimate them? Do we spend time looking into the strengths of better teams but not the lower teams?
I think it is the fact they park the bus and try to win on set pieces which we are uber pump at defending. We play better against teams that attack us. Also because our strikers need 3-4 chances each before 1 scores. Bright has made a difference to this since he arrived. Shame he wasn't here the whole season.

Users who are viewing this thread