Barnsley THIS Saturday (1 Viewer)

PurpleBin

Hi Guys ,

Barnsley away, this Saturday. Anyone know of any decent pubs and where to head? We'll in Sheffield early and want to know where to head once we get to Barnsley.

Anyone here know the area?

Bugsy

Hi Guys ,

Barnsley away, this Saturday. Anyone know of any decent pubs and where to head? We'll in Sheffield early and want to know where to head once we get to Barnsley.

@Barnsley knows

Secret sky blue fan... PUSB

pusbccfc

East dene wmc 🍺👍👕

Went there last time. Somewhere a bit different, dirt cheap and had the football on. Planning to be there Saturday.

SBAndy

I remember when the leisure centre used to open up their sports hall as a bar on matchdays, but don’t think they do that any more.

mark82

Hi Guys ,

Live near Barnsley but don't drink in Barnsley very much. Depends what you like I guess. Old no. 7 is supposed to be decent. There's the Jolly Tap on the arcade, which is a tap house for a local(ish) brewery.

Sheffield Tap when you're in the station at Sheffield shouldn't be missed. Good selection that should suit most taste's.

vow

Live near Barnsley but don't drink in Barnsley very much. Depends what you like I guess. Old no. 7 is supposed to be decent. There's the Jolly Tap on the arcade, which is a tap house for a local(ish) brewery.

Sheffield Tap when you're in the station at Sheffield shouldn't be missed. Good selection that should suit most taste's.
Can second Old No.7 bar, lots of real ales and a good atmosphere too.

skybluegod

Just bought ticket. Silly question but assume it's collect on the gate at this late stage?

Anything purchased today is collect at Barnsley.

It was meant to be anything before 2pm today was posted but I called the ticket office and they said any today onwards are at the ground

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Does anyone have any idea on how many we have sold? The twitter admin is always pestered with that question so I didn’t want to add to that if the answer is already out there

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

1500 is poor really considering its our first away game in so long. Clearly our away followings will be down on previous seasons.

A mixture of higher prices and fears around Covid.

I still think even with higher ticket prices (Barnsley has stayed about the same, hasn’t it?) and fears of Covid, we should be taking 2.5K minimum....Particularly with how brilliant our away support has been since we we were last in the Championship.

I really hope our away followings collapse to what they were like 2011-2012, we have a lot more to be positive about and we’re on the up!

pusbccfc

I still think even with higher ticket prices (Barnsley has stayed about the same, hasn’t it?) and fears of Covid, we should be taking 2.5K minimum....Particularly with how brilliant our away support has been since we we were last in the Championship.

I really hope our away followings collapse to what they were like 2011-2012, we have a lot more to be positive about and we’re on the up!

I think the last time we visited Barnsley we took around 2000 for a pretty meaningless game towards the end of the season.

It will certainly be much higher than pre-League 1 but considering its our first game back away from home I thought they'd be a big demand.

I don't think releasing 1 per season ticket holder should continue much longer.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

I think the last time we visited Barnsley we took around 2000 for a pretty meaningless game towards the end of the season.

It will certainly be much higher than pre-League 1 but considering its our first game back away from home I thought they'd be a big demand.

I don't think releasing 1 per season ticket holder should continue much longer.

In League 1 pre Covid we could comfortably take 2000-3000 fans most places depending on allocation. Here we have a nice 4000 odd capacity stand at Barnsley and we’ve sold 1500?! Excuses about prices, summer holidays, the new away kit not being out(!) or post-Covid worries would take a few hundred off the following, not several thousand. Come on lads, get buying!

stay_up_skyblues

Was expecting about 2,500 for this 🤔 not looking likely is it.

1,000 at this stage for Blackpool away midweek is reasonable though.

TonyHedges

Hi Guys ,

How do,

Barnsley fan here. I moved to Sheffield a couple of years ago, so my pub recommendations are based on them actually being open/in existence. I'd recommend covering up any colours as more and more pubs seem to be only welcoming home fans.

The Arcade and Market Hill are the places to aim for. The Arcade has the Jolly Tap (a microbrewery pub) and the 00 bar, which has a good range of both mainstream and craft beers. Down an alley from the Arcade is the Garrison, great boozer and brilliant atmosphere, but I'd expect that to be quite busy. Our younger generation of fans seem quite keen on it.

When you come out of the top of the Arcade, you'll be on Market Hill. Straight over the road is the old number 7, mainly selling craft and real ale, but it's a much larger pub to the jolly tap. Down the bottom of the hill is the Joseph Bramah, which is a Wetherspoons (and not as rough as most spoons). Up the hill is the White Bear, which again is a chain pub similar to spoons. They have a pool table and Sky Sports. Just off Market Hill is Shambles Street. There's more bars up there, but they change quite often so I can't give any recommendations up there.

If you want something completely different (and are aiming to be in Barnsley a few hours early), there's Retrodome up near Morrisons. A free play arcade with over 100 old arcade machines and about 15/20 different consoles. £12 entry for adults £6 for kids and a fully licenced bar. I believe they also serve food now, but if not, McDonald's is next door. There's no limit on time, so pop back after the match if you're not in a hurry.

As others have said, the East Dene welcomes away fans in particular. Having never been, I can't say how it is.

Parking is free in any Barnsley Council run car park on a Saturday. Most of which are no more than a 15 minute walk from the ground. Parking around the ground is sparse, other than the official club car park, and the disabled riding school just off Pontefract Road.

When walking into town, the small temporary bridge over the level crossing, closes at 2pm on match days, and doesn't reopen until an hour after full time. So you'll have to walk the long way around the train station if you're leaving for the ground after 2pm. That adds a good 5/10 minutes onto your walk to the ground. Worth bearing in mind.

One of the lads I go drinking with has family from Cov, so I look forward to this fixture as its usually a good day our. Safe journey up, and good luck for the season (barring against us)

Last edited:

pusbccfc

In League 1 pre Covid we could comfortably take 2000-3000 fans most places depending on allocation. Here we have a nice 4000 odd capacity stand at Barnsley and we’ve sold 1500?! Excuses about prices, summer holidays, the new away kit not being out(!) or post-Covid worries would take a few hundred off the following, not several thousand. Come on lads, get buying!

Yep, why is it only us using excuses for it? Forest and Birmingham last week sold double what we have and both were £30, on sky and dreadful kick off times.

Marty

Will be really disappointed if we don't hit 3k, first away game in 18 months and if we struggle to surpass 1500, it is actually pritty embarrassing.

Does anyone know what we took to Ipswich?

pusbccfc

Will be really disappointed if we don't hit 3k, first away game in 18 months and if we struggle to surpass 1500, it is actually pritty embarrassing.

Does anyone know what we took to Ipswich?

1740. I believe it sold out very early?

Users who are viewing this thread