Baker going (1 Viewer)

Astute

well, in that case, didn't Tim Fisher come into his role in the championship ?, hows he doing ?

The rumour was that he signed with a view of doing his job in Division 3.

Hobo

Re Baker, quite frankly I'm more pissed off we missed out on Jobi McAnuff.

WestEndAgro

He at least has shown a desire to want to play for our club, which is sadly lacking in the days of the mercenary. I'm personally disappointed to see him leave - but it is probably best for both parties as it may allow us to replace him with 2 players, and he gets regular football which someone at his age would no doubt want.

This mirrors my views, best wishes and thanks for the memories Carl.

Evans1883

If Baker is mediocre what does that make the rest of the players signed by SISU?

We must be aiming high now if we are getting rid of mediocre players that reach double figures from midfield. A mediocre Captain.

Scored 21 in 160

rob9872

How many goals did we score last season and how many of those are left in the team? If anyone can be bothered to work out, tyia.

Evans1883

How many goals did we score last season and how many of those are left in the team? If anyone can be bothered to work out, tyia.

I understand that , but we don't know how the new lads will do , if we are struggling come October to score , this holds value

Grendel

well, in that case, didn't Tim Fisher come into his role in the championship ?, hows he doing ?

No wrong he signed an extension with Dulieu.

Grendel

But you called him a mediocre League one player.

What would you call a player who at 27 was playing for Stockport?

fernandopartridge

Best wishes to him. Scored some good goals which need replacing but his returns were diminishing. I like his love for the club but then again I'd love working in a job where I am paid substantially more than I've ever earned elsewhere.

Astute

Re Baker, quite frankly I'm more pissed off we missed out on Jobi McAnuff.

I am more pissed off that SISU have raised about 4m in transfer fees in the last 6 months and haven't even used £1 in transfer fees to replace them.

Next year could be the biggie. Freebies signed on 1 year contracts. Not going to make much out of them.

Evans1883

I am more pissed off that SISU have raised about 4m in transfer fees in the last 6 months and haven't even used £1 in transfer fees to replace them.

Next year could be the biggie. Freebies signed on 1 year contracts. Not going to make much out of them.

I agree with this , pretty astonishing really

Astute

What would you call a player who at 27 was playing for Stockport?

What do you call a player playing for our club who is captain and scoring double figures from midfield?

Oh yes just remembered. Mediocre.

Grendel

What do you call a player playing for our club who is captain and scoring double figures from midfield?

Oh yes just remembered. Mediocre.

He didn't score double figures last season.

Hobo

Well McAnuff was one worth having and certainly an upgrade on Baker.

But I agree, SISU are not re investing £1...see my other posts...they show a distinct lack of desire to get out of this division...a division you can buy your way out of with a little investment. I believe we are in this league by design and promotion would not suit their long term game plan.

SlowerThanPlatt

Good luck to him at next club but what's with the shitstorm on Facebook and Twitter? People reacting like he's a club legend and selling him is an outrage.

Evans1883

Good luck to him at next club but what's with the shitstorm on Facebook and Twitter? People reacting like he's a club legend and selling him is an outrage.

He's a likeable person , and loves coventry , it's clouding people's thoughts , they will be fine in a week

Grendel

He's a likeable person , and loves coventry , it's clouding people's thoughts , they will be fine in a week

And Carl will have a Barnsley tattoo by then.

rob9872

It was a genuine enquiry. We scored a lot and I know Wilson, Clarke and bakes gone/going so wondered how many goals were left.

skybluetom

He was overpaid and ultimately wasn't that good, so we were right to get shot. I don't like how he was treated though, the same with the whole 'bomb squad' thing last year. I don't like how Pressley treats players who he deems surplus to requirements, there's a right and wrong way to do things.

letsallsingtogether

Grendel

Not Grendel wrong again?

No not in the league where it matters

Out of interest if we has signed a player who scored 2 goals in 87 would you be excited?

Grendel

7-10 who cares he can easily be replaced by a player on 2 and 6 that has scored half his amount of goals.

But hey he'll be an old head it's good for the dressing room same old bollox just another day in the life of Coventry City, and another ex player who will come back and haunt us.

So you would have dreaded signing Baker 2 years ago wouldn't you?

letsallsingtogether

No I was more optimistic 2 years ago unfortunately have had not had a lot to shout about last season.

The only good things we did have have all been sold will have to wait and see.

Buying players that nobody else really wants fills me with dread maybe one will turn out to be a good buy.

But unlike some on here I am willing to give anyone a chance Manager or player wouldn't slag any of them off once they wear that shirt.

Still at my age I struggle to remember who our players are, keep changing every 2 minutes still struggle with last years squad.:thinking about:

So you would have dreaded signing Baker 2 years ago wouldn't you?

Rusty Trombone

I always enjoy watching a player who can drift past the opposition with skill rather than amazing pace, Baker did this on numerous occasions, and there were many times he was great to watch, and of course like every player he had a fair amount of games where he had little impact. Overall though I thought he was a good player for us.

I suppose if Baker was playing elsewhere and we needed a midfielder, would he be the one to sign at a high wage. Probably not, and that's why Pressley is right to help him move on.

Sutty

I always enjoy watching a player who can drift past the opposition with skill rather than amazing pace, Baker did this on numerous occasions, and there were many times he was great to watch, and of course like every player he had a fair amount of games where he had little impact. Overall though I thought he was a good player for us.

I suppose if Baker was playing elsewhere and we needed a midfielder, would he be the one to sign at a high wage. Probably not, and that's why Pressley is right to help him move on.

This is basically my thoughts exactly. I like Baker as a player, he's exciting when on form. Yes he's frustratingly inconsistent, but if he wasn't he'd be playing at a higher level.

On the basis that he signed his last contract in the Championship (at a time when Dulieu was going crazy with stupid contracts) it's a fair assumption that he's one of the highest, if not the highest paid player at the club. For me, he isn't good to warrant being one of the highest paid members of the squad, so it's sensible to free up the wages for other players.

It's reasonable to have concerns about replacing the goals we've lost from last year. I'd also say last year's goal tally was beyond expectations and probably wouldn't have been repeated with the same squad, but it's reasonable to have those concerns.

Some of the mud being slung at Sisu for it is a bit stupid though. They've done more than enough bad stuff. If people start blaming them for the fact it rained in Italy, or for selling a player, it detracts from the very fair criticisms around Sixfields and protracted court cases.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

I think Pressley/SISU have got this one wrong, I really do. No reason that Baker couldn't have still played a significant part this season, even with the armband removed. Solid performer over the last 2 seasons and has proven he can be effective at this level. By all accounts did a lot of work off the pitch and behind the scenes (community etc), which made him a good role model for academy lads/young fans. Yeah he tailed off a bit last season, he's not great in the tackle and he gives the ball away sometimes, but I think Coventry City will be worse off this season without Carl Baker.

dongonzalos

Does begin to really make you wonder
Joy wants promotion and she wants the club at break even point is that possible?

Can a football club at our level achieve promotion and at the same time hit break even point.

If it is true that Blair Adams reached the point where one more game would cost the same as a transfer fee. If Carl Baker is one of our highest earners despite also been our most creative midfielder two seasons on the bounce.

I am unsure if you can achieve break even point and promotion.

I will be happy to be proved wrong

Frostie

A very frustrating player that, simply put, would not make our first XI this season. Yes, he has some very good moments but his all around game isn't that impressive. This is not a slight on him at all, he's clearly a good character & a good honest pro but we cannot justify the salary he currently earns when he won't even be a guaranteed starter. It's in both parties interests that he moves on & I wish him all the best.

Users who are viewing this thread