Baker going (1 Viewer)

J

Jack Griffin

Last edited by a moderator:

shy_tall_knight

I found baker a bit frustrating when he first joined but since we have into Div 3 he stepped his game up and is an ultimate role model on how to conduct yourself with the fans. He has had personal tragedy and shown so much dignity best of luck.

The season kicks of in a few weeks and we are desperately short.

Astute

And I await the usual comments that our goal scoring midfield captain isn't that good.

Russel Peterson's comment from Cov Telegraph

"Big loss to the club, how he can be considered surplus to requirement is beyond me. He has been consistently one of our better players, has scored some spectacular goals and was proud to be captain which made a change from some of the captains we've had in the past. Not sure about the comment about him being a fans favourite though, he was a consistent target for the boo boys who seemed to relish having a go at him for the slightest mistake, the only thing he was guilty of was trying too hard sometimes. I hope he goes somewhere the fans will appreciate him a bit more"

Yeah, exactly what Peter said! + we'll miss his double digit goals a season as well.

spider_ricoh

Russel Peterson's comment from Cov Telegraph

"Big loss to the club, how he can be considered surplus to requirement is beyond me. He has been consistently one of our better players, has scored some spectacular goals and was proud to be captain which made a change from some of the captains we've had in the past. Not sure about the comment about him being a fans favourite though, he was a consistent target for the boo boys who seemed to relish having a go at him for the slightest mistake, the only thing he was guilty of was trying too hard sometimes. I hope he goes somewhere the fans will appreciate him a bit more"

Yeah, exactly what Peter said! + we'll miss his double digit goals a season as well.

In fairness, I remember him ducking out of tackles which were more than 50:50 in his favour during the wretched relegation game against Southampton, and also lots of incidents where he didn't have an opposition player within 10 yards, out on the right flank, and would boot the ball into the stands - doesn't matter what league you play in, be it Championship or League One, that's not acceptable. In the Champ have would have one good game in ten, and clearly wasn't cut out for that level. L1 suited him more but he wasn't pulling up any trees last year and fell out of favour partly for the reason. I've heard reports he's a model pro but I can't imagine him being remembered with great fondness by hug numbers of fans - just indifference.

skybluesam66

sending off v leicester in relegation season was much more than a sending off, and i think that action alone cost us 10 points that season. win that game and with impetus it would have given us, we would have been ok

Astute

Yes baker, our relegation was all your fault.

DazzleTommyDazzle

My big beef with him was that he gave the ball away too often, however had a good measure of skill - always good to see someone take on and beat a player - and always put plenty of effort in.

I wish him well and fear that he'll be missed.

As that great football pundit Joni Mitchell sang - you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

Delboycov

sending off v leicester in relegation season was much more than a sending off, and i think that action alone cost us 10 points that season. win that game and with impetus it would have given us, we would have been ok

Think I really have heard it all now!!

Evans1883

Problem with a lot of coventry fans , especially with baker , is they let the fact he is a top bloke , and has a genuine love for ccfc cloud their judgment on his footballing ability , showed moments of brilliance throughout his time here , but had many poor games and often went missing , great bloke ...not so great footballer , I wish him all the best if he leaves

torchomatic

I like Baker but time moves on I guess and so must we. Good luck Baker.

NorthernWisdom

My big beef with him was that he gave the ball away too often, however had a good measure of skill - always good to see someone take on and beat a player - and always put plenty of effort in.

I wish him well and fear that he'll be missed.

As that great football pundit Joni Mitchell sang - you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

Yeah we'll only know with hindsight in the future ;)

The context of the basket case of the club he plays for looms large, but based on a ropey second half to last season, and the fact he's not getting any younger then now seems the ideal time, to me, for an amicable split.

Evans1883

On that note we do need to get in a central midfielder as I fear that with fleck and Thomas playing together , our midfield will be bypassed a lot like last season and we will convede more than we should

bringbackrattles

The writing was on the wall afraid when they gave the captaincy to a new player just coming in.
Whatever anyone thinks of Baker I reckon he was a decent player at this level,and he will be missed but then again so will Murphy,Moussa,Wilson, Christie,but we are used to seeing players leave so what's new ?

Astute

On that note we do need to get in a central midfielder as I fear that with fleck and Thomas playing together , our midfield will be bypassed a lot like last season and we will convede more than we should

We have to be able to keep hold of Fleck for you to be worried about any partnership involving him. And as he would command a transfer fee I am not expecting him to be with us at the start of the season.

DazzleTommyDazzle

Yeah we'll only know with hindsight in the future ;)

The context of the basket case of the club he plays for looms large, but based on a ropey second half to last season, and the fact he's not getting any younger then now seems the ideal time, to me, for an amicable split.

True, but based on the second half of last season, is there anyone that we would keep - except Callum, and that boat has sailed :)

Carl had his shortcomings but he was a player who had the capability to "turn" a game. I really don't know if any of the new players have that "in their locker".

NorthernWisdom

True, but based on the second half of last season, is there anyone that we would keep - except Callum, and that boat has sailed :)

tbh probably not, and on a footballing level there's certainly a logic for bashing out as many as you can and, whatever the budget (or lack thereof!) allowing Pressley to bring in his 'type' of player.

The concern being that last season, his transfer record doesn't inspire confidence!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I just hope Oggy stays. We need a good keeper!

Grendel

Problem with a lot of coventry fans , especially with baker , is they let the fact he is a top bloke , and has a genuine love for ccfc cloud their judgment on his footballing ability , showed moments of brilliance throughout his time here , but had many poor games and often went missing , great bloke ...not so great footballer , I wish him all the best if he leaves

That's an accurate summary.

Was it baker who Coleman stupidly compared to Tommy Hutchison? I can't seem to remember as much furore when the Great One departed at the same age. The hyperbole is absurd.

Bakers is no more and no less than a mediocre league one player as his record clearly shows. People may have concerns at losing the likes of Clarke and Wilson but not Carl baker.

DazzleTommyDazzle

tbh probably not, and on a footballing level there's certainly a logic for bashing out as many as you can and, whatever the budget (or lack thereof!) allowing Pressley to bring in his 'type' of player.

The concern being that last season, his transfer record doesn't inspire confidence!

Yes, we don't know exactly what constraints he was operating under, but on the face of it, it wasn't exactly an unblemished record.

ExmouthNeil

:claping hands:Good Luck to him.... Thanks for your effort with very difficult circumstances.... Always committed to the CCFC cause... :claping hands:

NorthernWisdom

Yes, we don't know exactly what constraints he was operating under, but on the face of it, it wasn't exactly an unblemished record.

No. Even with constraints it was a rather scattergun approach, and constraints suggest you have to make sure the players you bring in are better than the filler trash already there!

But, although on the face of it Adams and Baker could well have gone for financial reasons, neither found themselves regularly in the side last season, it appears Pressley prefers other players to Adams regardless... the proof of the pudding re: Baker will be in the eating of course... not just how we do without him, but how he performs for a new club.

I wish him all the best, but despite the goals even when we were playing well first half the season, he did seem to be a player not of a 'type' to fit the rest of the system Pressley was trying to implement.

More concerned about how we're going to replace Wilson tbh, as even though the fee was good, he'll leave the bigger hole to fill.

Evans1883

No. Even with constraints it was a rather scattergun approach, and constraints suggest you have to make sure the players you bring in are better than the filler trash already there!

But, although on the face of it Adams and Baker could well have gone for financial reasons, neither found themselves regularly in the side last season, it appears Pressley prefers other players to Adams regardless... the proof of the pudding re: Baker will be in the eating of course... not just how we do without him, but how he performs for a new club.

I wish him all the best, but despite the goals even when we were playing well first half the season, he did seem to be a player not of a 'type' to fit the rest of the system Pressley was trying to implement.

More concerned about how we're going to replace Wilson tbh, as even though the fee was good, he'll leave the bigger hole to fill.
We can hope that miller stays fit , before his injury at Sheffield United , he was in great form , the injury set him back , their fans seem to be gutted that they let him go , let's hope he turns out like mcgoldrick of Clarke for is in front of goal

Astute

That's an accurate summary.

Was it baker who Coleman stupidly compared to Tommy Hutchison? I can't seem to remember as much furore when the Great One departed at the same age. The hyperbole is absurd.

Bakers is no more and no less than a mediocre league one player as his record clearly shows. People may have concerns at losing the likes of Clarke and Wilson but not Carl baker.

If Baker is mediocre what does that make the rest of the players signed by SISU?

We must be aiming high now if we are getting rid of mediocre players that reach double figures from midfield. A mediocre Captain.

shmmeee

Over/under on Baker scoring double figures this season?

We can't afford the guy, fair enough, but you can't argue that we need to replace the goals.

Grendel

If Baker is mediocre what does that make the rest of the players signed by SISU?

We must be aiming high now if we are getting rid of mediocre players that reach double figures from midfield. A mediocre Captain.

The league he was signed to perform
In he scored twice - once each season.

Ian1779

He at least has shown a desire to want to play for our club, which is sadly lacking in the days of the mercenary. I'm personally disappointed to see him leave - but it is probably best for both parties as it may allow us to replace him with 2 players, and he gets regular football which someone at his age would no doubt want.

Users who are viewing this thread