Bakayoko (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2477
  • Start date

Grendel

There have always been some ‘interesting’ patterns in terms of those labelled ‘lazy’.

Really? Huckerby was often lambasted for low work rate

ccfc1234

A glance at Baka’s stats would show you he’s been prolific this season. Godden meanwhile has failed to get going at all.

I hope it’s not racism, but when four strikers are doing equally poorly and the white one gets let off it does raise some questions.
Godden has done well in the main and his performances have at times shown real promise and he has been very quality at times. He is also very new.
Baka on the other hand has been here for a couple of years and had chances and not taken many. Encouragingly, he looked far better with Max in a front 2.
On the alleged fan discrimination, I can only speak for myself but I judge a player by how they perform on the pitch and would hero worship a good player putting in a shift and performing well no matter their country of origin.
I just don't buy the argument our fans are more critical of some types of player than others based on ethnic background. I think the suggestion amounts to a low blow and it's an indicator of thinking that assumes the worst and dangerously is not afraid to use powerful social stigmas to point serious fingers. If you have proof call people out ans notify the authoriries if not these comments are inflammatory and not terribly helpful.

DannyThomas_1981

nope many described him at the time as lazy and not putting a shift in - ccfc fans always love work above ability

Seriously Grendel (I admit I'm biased as Huckerby's biggest fan) but I really don't recall that - he put in fantastic game changing and consistent performances for us.

Boxing Day at Elland Road one of my favourite memories of all time - Palmer was playing centre back for Leeds and must have had the most difficult afternoon of his career against Huckerby. Chasing shadows for 90 minutes as Hucks was on the rampage. He was simply unstoppable.

Hucks was loved by nearly everyone from memory - and rightly so.

Grendel

Seriously Grendel (I admit I'm biased as Huckerby's biggest fan) but I really don't recall that - he put in fantastic game changing and consistent performances for us.

Boxing Day at Elland Road one of my favourite memories of all time - Palmer was playing centre back for Leeds and must have had the most difficult afternoon of his career against Huckerby. Chasing shadows for 90 minutes as Hucks was on the rampage. He was simply unstoppable.

Hucks was loved by nearly everyone from memory - and rightly so.

The bloke in front of me in the main stand and his mates were always jeering him

DannyThomas_1981

The bloke in front of me in the main stand and his mates were always jeering him

Idiots in ever crowd Grendel - they certainly didn't represent 95% of our support. Hucks is an absolute legend. (Admittedly I'm biased as he's one of my favourite all time players but I'm sure that's true).

I do take your point above that 'ccfc fans love work over ability.' That's traditionally been fair. I just don't think Hucks is the right example.

I also think the attitude is changing as football evolves i.e. most supporters today I think have far more appreciation for technical ability compared to say the early 80s when it was kick and chase for a time.

cc84cov

The worst in recent memory was the contrast between Andy fucking Morrell and Stern John. One was lauded as a great player and the other was written off as ‘lazy’, despite scoring goals and being far, far technically superior.
Andy Morrell was loved as he just didn’t stop working & scoring a goal here and there

Grendel

The worst in recent memory was the contrast between Andy fucking Morrell and Stern John. One was lauded as a great player and the other was written off as ‘lazy’, despite scoring goals and being far, far technically superior.

well I’d say fans complaining on CWR that Jordan Henderson has taken Ronnie Simpson’s place was possibly worse

DannyThomas_1981

Andy Morrell was loved as he just didn’t stop working & scoring a goal here and there

From memory didn't we also play Morrell out of position as well? Seemed to be pretty common for a number of years for Cov managers to play quite a few players out of position. Never a big fan of that for the player or the team.

cc84cov

From memory didn't we also play Morrell out of position as well? Seemed to be pretty common for a number of years for Cov managers to play quite a few players out of position. Never a big fan of that for the player or the team.
Now you’ve mentioned it I’m sure he was used wide right at some point,I remember he went on a good scoring run at one point also

Adge

The amount of criticism that some players get I think is unfair and I have often said so. I don’t think that it is anything to do with race, I think it is to do with the way the player’s performance is perceived, not the colour of his skin. Bakayoko and Hiwula are currently top of the list but in the past it has been Shipley, Haynes and Burge who were on the receiving end. There is still a thread on here ridiculing Burge and he has been gone for nearly 6 months.
Older fans will remember Bobby Gould receiving hate mail when he took over from George Hudson. Hateful, often moronic, criticism of players has gone on for a long time. I have never even considered the stuff on here to be based on the players race.
I don’t buy that either and a good balance above with the mentioning of Shipley and the abysmal Haynes.
The 2 best players I have seen in the Coventry shirt are Cyrille Regis and Dion Dublin. If someone asks me that question do I automatically think they are/were 2 black players?Of course not. Rather just their fantastic contribution to our club over the years.

Irish Sky Blue

I agree with part of what you say but disagree with the rest. I think you are right, Stern John was by far the more skilful player of the two and his goals were of a far better quality. However, I think that Morrell was far more of a team player than John had a far better attitude and yes, a far better work ethic. I remember one game, it may have been Stern John’s debut, a ball was played into him which was wayward and went past him, John just looked at the ball, Morrell however, who was 4 or 5 yards further away actually ran past John in an attempt to keep the ball alive.Does that make it a racist remark because I am saying that in this instance, the white player worked harder than the black player? I don’t think so. Sometimes players do need to work harder sometimes they are black sometimes they are white. Two of the hardest working (and bravest) players I would say were Lloyd McGrath and Isaac Osborne.
As it happens I think those that label Hiwula and Bakayoko as lazy are way of the mark. I just think Bakayoko’s general play (excluding Saturday) hasn’t been very good. Hiwula I think runs his socks off, including tracking back, just not involved with the ball enough. I don’t think the comments are related to race.

Johhny Blue

I have said before that my issue with Bakayoko, as much as I want him to succeed, is there is no redeeming factor that I have seen on any sort of regularity. He doesn't have blistering pace, he doesn't win headers ans as Robins alludes to, no where near enough physicality and aggression.

I wonder if you could play a 442 diamond (considering the lack of wingers we have) ans play Ohare at the top behind Max and Godden, Kelly sitting with Walsh and Shipley either side .
Every time he’s involved He creates mistakes. Some of them by the opposition.

Last edited:

Liquid Gold

Morrell was held in high regard because he scored a fair number of goals just after signing, sometimes first impressions never get shaken off and desire him being a poor player people had that affinity towards him.

harvey098

The hatred for Stern John was bizarre. Remember him being subbed off and roundly boo’d as he left the pitch. He looked shocked as he walked off.
I remember a game at highfield road when he put in a bad tackle and when the ref only gave a yellow a lot of fans booed and chanted “off off off”.

Nick

Administrator
Bakayoko was disliked before he even played because everybody had become so worked up about Chaplin signing.

Skyblueweeman

A glance at Baka’s stats would show you he’s been prolific this season. Godden meanwhile has failed to get going at all.

I hope it’s not racism, but when four strikers are doing equally poorly and the white one gets let off it does raise some questions.

Jesus christ Shmmeee, what questions does it raise? Is this is serious post??

Wow...

SkyBlueDom26

This sums you up ya fool

BigadamL

Randomly bumped into Baka this afternoon in Asda, Perry Barr (north Birmingham) he looked very surprised to see a Coventry fan when I asked him if he was who I thought he was, took time to talk to me and the kids, could really see on his face when I said well done for the last few goals that he looked took back and looked a bit sheepish. Three year old kept singing 20 goals 20 goals for the rest of the shop!

DannyThomas_1981

Sounds like Dabo

I think that's unfair JB; Dabo's a highly decent player with many positive attributes. Not without a few flaws but in my view our best signing over the summer.

Just like the legend (that is Danny Thomas the player!) he has an ability to influence games from right back - on attitude alone combined with decent skill sets.

I'm not comparing Dabo with Danny (who was an elite full back) but I think Dabo is very good.

Users who are viewing this thread