Attendances Next Season (1 Viewer)

Liquid Gold

Im about selling as many tickets as possible. Some will become long term fans, some will be filler for atmosphere.

You only lose revenue if they were going to go at a higher price.

Every empty seat is lost revenue.

What “devalues the brand” more than anything is an empty stadium.
Wasps managed to fill the stadium with cheap/free tickets and now they can’t give them away as the brand is so devalued.

Grendel

Wasps managed to fill the stadium with cheap/free tickets and now they can’t give them away as the brand is so devalued.

For some reason he has a real blind spot over this

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I've always felt that discounts etc should relate to performance on the field, because if we play well and win people want to come back, if we lose they're less likely to. The worse the loss the less likely they are to return. So if you go to a match and the team lose you can use that ticket to claim money off a subsequent ticket. Could make it a sliding scale like a one goal loss is a 5-10% discount, two goals 10-20% etc.

Obv would need some caveats like a time limit (say 6 months) and a cap on discounts (say 40%).

Could also replace or be used alongside the 'early-bird' scheme for ST and be a reward for customer loyalty. Most 'early-birds' are ST renewals anyway. You can just add up the discounts they would have received from the previous season and apply it to the season ticket price when they renew. If there are those umming and arring about going at an early-bird price once that price ends you can pretty much guarantee they won't be getting one at the higher price. So if that potential price reduction is still there it slightly increases the chances they'll renew once pre-season fever kicks in and the first game gets closer.

If we have a good season and don't lose often the discount will be lower, but renewal is likely to be higher anyway whereas a really shit one would see a much higher discount for the following season and give better incentive to renew. You're being rewarded with either a good product or a cheaper price. Even those that just had match tickets from the previous season could use them against a season ticket/match package so the more games you've been too the higher the discount you're likely to get, and those that go to more matches are those more likely to be swayed into getting a ST in future.

Think of it as like a loyalty scheme like a free coffee etc but based on whether you get a shit coffee or not.

hill83

Is that the reason though? It could be because Wasps are a set of wankers, rugby is utter dog shit and people have had their soggy biscuit and free pint now. Are you saying if they had sold tickets only from the beginning it would be heaving for their matches? Not having it.

Not saying we should be giving tickets away tbf, but repeat something enough and it becomes true.
It's actually nonsense. "I'm not going because they used to give away free tickets and it's a very devalued brand now, I'm staying in the pub instead"

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Is that the reason though? It could be because Wasps are a set of wankers, rugby is utter dog shit and people have had their soggy biscuit and free pint now. Are you saying if they had sold tickets only from the beginning it would be heaving for their matches? Not having it.

Not saying we should be giving tickets away tbf, but repeat something enough and it becomes true.
It's actually nonsense. "I'm not going because they used to give away free tickets"
No, people only went because it was free and then wouldn't pay as they see it as a thing for free.

Obviously not everybody but it did happen, same as some Groupon stuff.

Liquid Gold

It's actually nonsense. "I'm not going because they used to give away free tickets"
I think if you become accustomed to paying £5 for something then all of a sudden it's £25 you'd say fuck that. It's really as simple as that.

hill83

So it would be big crowds if they hadn't done free tickets?

Obviously it's not one or the other, but completely overriding what shmeee is suggesting with that one Wasps thing is bollocks.

Grendel

No but the business plan was to convert them to paying customers - it failed and the rugby side of the business suffers annual losses on a large scale

Liquid Gold

Obviously it's not one or the other, but completely overriding what shmeee is suggesting with that one Wasps thing is bollocks.
I'm not overriding what he said, the only thing I took issue with was "What “devalues the brand” more than anything is an empty stadium."

I think what devalues the brand more is by putting such a low monetary value on it.

I actually agree with Schmmeee on a lot of this stuff, we need to do a lot more. When it was announced we were returning I wrote a bloody essay on here about what we can do to entice people back in.

hill83

Even people in the door for one or two discounted games, buying stuff in the ground is better than an empty seat.
Even if the retention from that is low, it won't be zero. Only thing stopping it would be people who have paid in full whinging about it.

hill83

I'm not overriding what he said, the only thing I took issue with was "What “devalues the brand” more than anything is an empty stadium."

I think what devalues the brand more is by putting such a low monetary value on it.

I actually agree with Schmmeee on a lot of this stuff, we need to do a lot more. When it was announced we were returning I wrote a bloody essay on here about what we can do to entice people back in.

Fair enough. Just sick of reading "devalued brand" I think.

Liquid Gold

Even people in the door for one or two discounted games, buying stuff in the ground is better than an empty seat.
Even if the retention from that is low, it won't be zero. Only thing stopping it would be people who have paid in full whinging about it.
Every time there is a community game or kids for a quid or whatever we are all behind it and take the piss out of people moaning about their season ticket.

We should absolutely have a couple of games that are 'occasion days' and pack it out.

hill83

Every time there is a community game or kids for a quid or whatever we are all behind it and take the piss out of people moaning about their season ticket.

We should absolutely have a couple of games that are 'occasion days' and pack it out.

No more than 2 games though, don't want that brand devalued.

Grendel

Grendel

theferret

Wasps is a franchise though, it was all done to try to build a fan base from scratch, and nobody is suggesting we should issue out freebies everywhere and massively reduce prices.

We're not talking about a minority sport 'brand' here and a team with no links to the city, we're talking about lifelong supporters of 135 year old football club who we're trying to entice back, as well attracting the next generation.

I've got no major objection to the pricing, I'm just saying don't be surprised when crowds for what should be the more attractive fixtures are poor.

The Cat A pricing is a big leap for us, and we may struggle to shift tickets at that price, but we'll shift a few I'm sure. I do think the JSB section should have had a different pricing structure. Even Fulham only charge £20 for all games in their family section.

Evo1883

I can see this argument too .

Makes sense I suppose , will lead to long term slow but sustainable growth .

Somebody like Bradford City however have themselves in situation where they couldn't raise prices too much as the expectation is cheap tickets and a rise could damage them and people could walk away

hill83

Nah, it's Saturday afternoon.

Plus I'm not saying it's not a thing, I'm saying for Wasps specifically they were doomed in this city from the start. Start whipping out free tickets for us and yeah, correct. Not having it for Wasps though really.

Liquid Gold

Wasps is a franchise though, it was all done to try to build a fan base from scratch, and nobody is suggesting we should issue out freebies everywhere and massively reduce prices.

We're not talking about a minority sport 'brand' here and a team with no links to the city, we're talking about lifelong supporters of 135 year old football club who we're trying to entice back, as well attracting the next generation.

I've got no major objection to the pricing, I'm just saying don't be surprised when crowds for what should be the more attractive fixtures are poor.

The Cat A pricing is a big leap for us, and we may struggle to shift tickets at that price, but we'll shift a few I'm sure. I do think the JSB section should have had a different pricing structure. Even Fulham only charge £20 for all games in their family section.
i won't be surprised at poor crowds, this is coventry city. We managed to pull in more for Morecambe in the last game of the season than our first home playoff game ever.

IMO our tickets are priced competitively and we're in a division where teams throw money around like it's nothing. We need the money coming in through ticket sales more than most and by putting games at £30 when we are expecting a big away following then it's sensible even if it does put a dent in home support.

Let's be honest though, if we end up fighting for playoffs the place will fill up and if we're dead bottom it will barely be above ST sales.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Nah, it's Saturday afternoon.

Plus I'm not saying it's not a thing, I'm saying for Wasps specifically they were doomed in this city from the start. Start whipping out free tickets for us and yeah, correct. Not having it for Wasps though really.

Yeah. Even if they hadn't given away all those tickets wasps still wouldn't have much 'brand value' here. All they'd have had was consistently low attendances from the start which itself would have devalued them. People aren't going not because the club gave away so many freebies but because they don't want to and never really have.

Grendel

Yeah. Even if they hadn't given away all those tickets wasps still wouldn't have much 'brand value' here. All they'd have had was consistently low attendances from the start which itself would have devalued them. People aren't going not because the club gave away so many freebies but because they don't want to and never really have.

But they did when free or cheap

fatso

I've always felt that discounts etc should relate to performance on the field, because if we play well and win people want to come back, if we lose they're less likely to. The worse the loss the less likely they are to return. So if you go to a match and the team lose you can use that ticket to claim money off a subsequent ticket. Could make it a sliding scale like a one goal loss is a 5-10% discount, two goals 10-20% etc.

Obv would need some caveats like a time limit (say 6 months) and a cap on discounts (say 40%).

Could also replace or be used alongside the 'early-bird' scheme for ST and be a reward for customer loyalty. Most 'early-birds' are ST renewals anyway. You can just add up the discounts they would have received from the previous season and apply it to the season ticket price when they renew. If there are those umming and arring about going at an early-bird price once that price ends you can pretty much guarantee they won't be getting one at the higher price. So if that potential price reduction is still there it slightly increases the chances they'll renew once pre-season fever kicks in and the first game gets closer.

If we have a good season and don't lose often the discount will be lower, but renewal is likely to be higher anyway whereas a really shit one would see a much higher discount for the following season and give better incentive to renew. You're being rewarded with either a good product or a cheaper price. Even those that just had match tickets from the previous season could use them against a season ticket/match package so the more games you've been too the higher the discount you're likely to get, and those that go to more matches are those more likely to be swayed into getting a ST in future.

Think of it as like a loyalty scheme like a free coffee etc but based on whether you get a shit coffee or not.
Why not just give the fans good attacking football?

Any incentive scheme is admitting that you cant give people what they want.

Rolls royce cars, NEVER give discounts or incentives.
You never see Rolex watches at sale prices.

Only sub standard companies need to incentivise and discount.

When a family of 4 pay around £100 for tickets, parking, programs etc for a big game, and then watch total shit, they ain't coming back, not even for a free coffee!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

But they did when free or cheap

Whenever a new thing turns up it generates some interest if out of nothing but curiousity and then tails off. Many places offer opening discounts before reverting to normal prices. If it's good it will keep clientele, if it's not it won't.

Wasps performances on the whole haven't been that bad and consistently been in the play-offs. Despite that they've never been able to sell tickets and now struggle to even give them away. Would they give them away if they could sell them? Of course not. That's not because the freebies have devalued them, it's just that almost no-one has, or ever has had, much interest in watching them and only did so out of initial curiousity.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

I have on another thread - you can fill the ground if that’s the aim - make a season ticket £100 and £50 for children and then walk ups £75 per game - that would do the trick

😂😂😂

Are you still living in the 70’s.

NortonSkyBlue

Great in theory but we are facing an opponent who is looking to beat us, attacking only works when you better than the team you are playing. We can’t guarantee a win in any game.

fatso

Whenever a new thing turns up it generates some interest if out of nothing but curiousity and then tails off. Many places offer opening discounts before reverting to normal prices. If it's good it will keep clientele, if it's not it won't.

Wasps performances on the whole haven't been that bad and consistently been in the play-offs. Despite that they've never been able to sell tickets and now struggle to even give them away. Would they give them away if they could sell them? Of course not. That's not because the freebies have devalued them, it's just that almost no-one has, or ever has had, much interest in watching them and only did so out of initial curiousity.
That's true, but, Coventry has never been a big rugby supporting city. For donkeys years our own rugby club struggled to get more than a handful of die hards following them.

Wasps would have known this I'm sure, but there eagerness to find a new stadium, and our own council's eagerness to fuck sisu up, made sure the move happened.

fatso

Great in theory but we are facing an opponent who is looking to beat us, attacking only works when you better than the team you are playing. We can’t guarantee a win in any game.
No one is guaranteed a win in any game, but just look at Leeds last season, one week they would win 4-0 the next week they'd lose 4-3
But the fans were flocking in.
Look at Newcastle under Keegan, they won nothing but sold out every week.
We were looking g similar under Richard Money for a while, until the wheels fell off.

But goals are what the fans come to see, not boring 0-0 matches where there's no shot on target.

NortonSkyBlue

That's true, but, Coventry has never been a big rugby supporting city. For donkeys years our own rugby club struggled to get more than a handful of die hards following them.

Wasps would have known this I'm sure, but there eagerness to find a new stadium, and our own council's eagerness to fuck sisu up, made sure the move happened.
At one time Cov Rugby was the premier rugby club in the country. Big games against Moseley, Leicester and the Welsh clubs had capacity crowds. Once the game went professional it all went pear shaped.

NortonSkyBlue

No one is guaranteed a win in any game, but just look at Leeds last season, one week they would win 4-0 the next week they'd lose 4-3
We were looking g similar under Richard Money for a while, until the wheels fell off.

But goals are what the fans come to see, not boring 0-0 matches where there's no shot on target.
Flocking in last season?

Last edited:

COV

Well this is obviously false, Cov Rugby club were very big for a long time

Sick Boy

Richard Money?

Users who are viewing this thread