Attendances Next Season (1 Viewer)

COV

I disagree with that tbh ..sorry COV

Hey it’s fine to disagree, what it’s all about 👍

The reason Forest have expectations is that it’s in their DNA to have expectations, and that comes from their history, their pride. It’s in our DNA to fear/ expect the worst and to be let down.

COV

Speak for yourself, I’ve had some good times following the club recently

So have I, but we are.. we’ll “proper” fans I guess. It’s not the kind of success that will suddenly find 5-10k new fans, which is the kind of success/ good times that most other clubs in our sort of bracket have had.

Grendel

Hey it’s fine to disagree, what it’s all about 👍

The reason Forest have expectations is that it’s in their DNA to have expectations, and that comes from their history, their pride. It’s in our DNA to fear/ expect the worst and to be let down.

It’s not in their DNA they’ve been a basket case for decades - they have less history than Huddersfield

Grendel

So have I, but we are.. we’ll “proper” fans I guess. It’s not the kind of success that will suddenly find 5-10k new fans, which is the kind of success/ good times that most other clubs in our sort of bracket have had.

How do you get back from Cork for matches?

Evo1883

A season in the prem , even if we got relegated 1st season would be the best thing that could happen to us

Both financially and in terms of city/ county interest

Reactions: COV

Evo1883

It’s not in their DNA they’ve been a basket case for decades - they have less history than Huddersfield

Dunno mate , their 2 European cups trump anything Huddersfield have done

Forest have won 13 trophies to Huddersfields 5

10th most successful club in England by trophies won

COV

It’s a very poor argument, Huddersfield won titles before WW2 and then…

Forest will have a big number of people still alive & very much kicking who were there when they were winning European cups, league titles, league cups- they saw it, experienced it, felt it- that takes time to die away and of course it’s going to give them expectations and more optimism than a club like us.

Look at those figures for any club- if they have success for a period of time they become way more impervious to low crowds if there relegated.

COV

Forest have won 13 trophies to Huddersfields 5

10th most successful club in England by trophies won

Success & tradition = good support that sticks with them.. it’s not rocket science

fatso

Could you elaborate on what they should be doing?
Maybe they could take on the sevices of a PR or Marketing company. Travelling round the city, the football club is largely anonymous.
On the back of Englands relative success in the Euro's and our imminent return home, I'd of expected the club to launch a massive warwickshire wide publicity drive. But where is it???
I know covid is a challenge, but why arnt they all over local radio and local tv, I'm sure something positive could of been done.

In light of the footballs coming home song from the Euros, I'd of flooded the city with bill board posters saying "City's coming home"
Followed by a major drive to attract school kids and anyone who will listen.

Last edited:

fernandopartridge

They have history, tradition, they are a much ‘bigger name’ than us, we can’t match that.
They were never a big club that really challenged much before they had a 3 year purple patch in the late 70s. For the last 30 years they've spent more time than us outside the top flight.

COV

They were never a big club that really challenged much before they had a 3 year purple patch in the late 70s. For the last 30 years they've spent more time than us outside the top flight.

If you think it was only a 3yr purple patch in the late 70s that’s pretty daft, Clough was almost bigger than the club itself and elevated them massively.

Sky Blue Pete

You would think they have taken advice form marketing experts I am interested In shmmee’s opinion that it’s bad to put off those wavering fans who may look to come back a game at a time. Families shoudnt pay more than £50 for 2 adults and a couple of kids. Think I’d like to hear your thoughts shmmee

shmmeee

You would think they have taken advice form marketing experts I am interested In shmmee’s opinion that it’s bad to put off those wavering fans who may look to come back a game at a time. Families shoudnt pay more than £50 for 2 adults and a couple of kids. Think I’d like to hear your thoughts shmmee

My thoughts are increasingly that the aim of the game is to create lifelong fans. To do that you’ve got to get them in the door then you’ve got to keep them. You can do the latter with winning football, the question is can you do it with match day experience alone, maybe. You need to make the game almost ancillary to the experience and you need to look at the different experiences people get from football: family, mates, drinking, arguing on the internet, all create bonds stronger than the latest form.

The modern entertainment economy has a million ways to attract and monetise fans that football is loathe to tap into.

Seems to me like airline tickets. Each empty seat is lost money, so you want to fill them at whatever price. People take the piss out of Wasps giving away thousands of tickets but it’s better than empty seats. Those people will buy food and drinks and programmes and hopefully will have a great time and pay off many times over over their lifetime.

It’s a gamble though. Clubs have to look five, ten, fifteen years ahead not just at that seasons budget and that’s a risk many aren’t willing to take especially when they don’t have the experience to know what will work.

The funny thing about our situation is we’ve proven we can decouple the crowds from the budget to some extent. We got promoted and stayed up with tiny crowds. In many ways were in a unique situation and probably better placed than many to take a risk.

I see it how my work sees customers: you’ve got a cost of acquisition and you’ve got a lifetime value and as long as the latter outweighs the former you’re golden. We can afford to lose probably hundreds of pounds to get a lifetime fan on board.

The other side of course is churn and retention and I’m not sure clubs know enough about what makes fans stick and what makes fans give up. They need to figure that out and work out how to increase retention.

As I say, my guess is it’s about minimising the actual performance on the pitch and maximising the other aspects: community, family, tradition, feeling part of something bigger. I’d like to see the match day extended and the club do more to enhance the experience whether it’s drinking in pubs or taking three generations. What that means exactly will be different for different groups of fans but it’s just basic marketing really.

Weve been here before. Look at the stuff Hill did with the sky blue express or whatever. He had the right ideas for the 60s, we need to figure out what the 2020s equivalent is.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

My thoughts are increasingly that the aim of the game is to create lifelong fans. To do that you’ve got to get them in the door then you’ve got to keep them. You can do the latter with winning football, the question is can you do it with match day experience alone, maybe. You need to make the game almost ancillary to the experience and you need to look at the different experiences people get from football: family, mates, drinking, arguing on the internet, all create bonds stronger than the latest form.

The modern entertainment economy has a million ways to attract and monetise fans that football is loathe to tap into.

Seems to me like airline tickets. Each empty seat is lost money, so you want to fill them at whatever price. People take the piss out of Wasps giving away thousands of tickets but it’s better than empty seats. Those people will buy food and drinks and programmes and hopefully will have a great time and pay off many times over over their lifetime.

It’s a gamble though. Clubs have to look five, ten, fifteen years ahead not just at that seasons budget and that’s a risk many aren’t willing to take especially when they don’t have the experience to know what will work.

The funny thing about our situation is we’ve proven we can decouple the crowds from the budget to some extent. We got promoted and stayed up with tiny crowds. In many ways were in a unique situation and probably better placed than many to take a risk.

I see it how my work sees customers: you’ve got a cost of acquisition and you’ve got a lifetime value and as long as the latter outweighs the former you’re golden. We can afford to lose probably hundreds of pounds to get a lifetime fan on board.

The other side of course is churn and retention and I’m not sure clubs know enough about what makes fans stick and what makes fans give up. They need to figure that out and work out how to increase retention.

As I say, my guess is it’s about minimising the actual performance on the pitch and maximising the other aspects: community, family, tradition, feeling part of something bigger. I’d like to see the match day extended and the club do more to enhance the experience whether it’s drinking in pubs or taking three generations. What that means exactly will be different for different groups of fans but it’s just basic marketing really.

Weve been here before. Look at the stuff Hill did with the sky blue express or whatever. He had the right ideas for the 60s, we need to figure out what the 2020s equivalent is.

A TikTok dance.
ContentCreatorsForCoventry.
An OnlyFans account (think I may have misunderstood what this one is about)

fernandopartridge

If you think it was only a 3yr purple patch in the late 70s that’s pretty daft, Clough was almost bigger than the club itself and elevated them massively.
It was, they were good in the 80s as in a top half finish but they never got close to those achievements again. Good in the League Cup though.

COV

It was, they were good in the 80s as in a top half finish but they never got close to those achievements again. Good in the League Cup though.

Forest have been a pretty big name ever since- mainly due to Clough but they were/ are. And for their younger fans now they have that history and tradition to look back on- we have nothing even vaguely comparable. They’re in a completely different league to us when it comes to success, and although there are other factors that is what builds loyal support in the years to come.

NortonSkyBlue

Interesting post and one that has merit IMO.
Very few clubs can look a month ahead let alone a generation. What Hill did was reinvent the wheel in terms of the marketing and how to galvanise the City. There is an argument on here that the population of Coventry is multi cultural, that many are from somewhere else and if that argument applies today then it certainly did in the 50’s and 60’s yet somehow Hill tapped into that demographic brilliantly and the ground was filled and it certainly was a revolution.
Yes there are lessons you can learn but recent history has had us on life support and for some/many the club has flatlined whereas for others, the true hardcore, it has become a faith that has been tested but with the upturn has provided the incentive to affirm such belief.
Some go on about the match day experience, the lack of pubs, the location of the ground, the parking, the alternative activities on offer, the price of a ticket...and so on. Yet I spent 15 years on empty terraces and seating at HR from 72 to late 86 with entire rows to myself with a centrally located ground with pubs galore, top flight football and competitively priced tickets.
For me the truth is that a winning team is the factor that drives our support upwards and little else. The product on the pitch dictates who comes and who doesn’t, unless we play a Manchester United or Liverpool and we haven’t played them in our City for a generation. Get it right on the pitch and we have a chance to grow, move grounds and you will lose many, lose games regularly you will lose some until you are down to those that will be there no matter what. We decomposed to such an extent we had nothing but our name and no much more.
This version of the club has won games on the pitch, has offers to entice fans, has had a can do attitude to marketing with shirts, ticketing and pre COVID meetings yet has been hamstrung by playing outside the boundaries of the City. One step forward two steps back, like much of our history. We find a way to shoot ourselves in the foot.
It is imperative that we take risks at this point IMO, organic growth is not an option, it’s ALL or NOTHING because a team finishing where we did last season for a few years with no signs of progress will test the will of many.
You can see on here how some see the horizon differently to others, there is already an undercurrent growing regarding our preparations for the new season that is waiting to spew it’s bile at the club, the manager and the players. There is little leeway, goodwill is gained by the last result and that was 7-1 to MK Dons according to some. It’s about the result.

ccfcchris

Maybe they could take on the sevices of a PR or Marketing company. Travelling round the city, the football club is largely anonymous.
On the back of Englands relative success in the Euro's and our imminent return home, I'd of expected the club to launch a massive warwickshire wide publicity drive. But where is it???
I know covid is a challenge, but why arnt they all over local radio and local tv, I'm sure something positive could of been done.

In light of the footballs coming home song from the Euros, I'd of flooded the city with bill board posters saying "City's coming home"
Followed by a major drive to attract school kids and anyone who will listen.
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Grendel

You're losing another argument aren't you?

So as always and true to form desperately resorting to nonsense to distract.

Please have a day off and for once in your life stop embarrassing yourself.

I’m not losing any argument Mr International Traveller

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Tell me you wouldn’t pay for exclusive pics of Goddens hair.

OK, you got me.

giphy.gif

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Don’t think that’s the case- example, head towards Rugby and you’re in Leicester territory quite quickly nowadays with how they’re doing.

There’s one major factor and it’s much more important than location..

We’ve generally been shite for 50 years apart from the last 4, and in those four we ended up with the club being ripped apart by the owners so we had no chance to get up to the ground and enjoy without some kind of major disaster going on distracting everything.
There are Leicester fans in Rugby but this is essentially a Cov City catchment area. Totally with you on the 50 years of crap. Apart from the Milne era and Curtis/Sillett, it's been a real struggle.

WestEndAgro

It doesn't really matter if it is 'a couple of quid', people have their reasons to go or not to go.

The season ticket numbers are looking really positive, but I fear they have got this one wrong.
I agree, they have priced out the casual fan, the walk up is crucial, they have probably lost 50% of the walk up.
£20 is plenty, be prepared for lot's of empty sky blue seats.
Just my opinion PUSB🇧🇼👊🇧🇼

COV

I agree, they have priced out the casual fan, the walk up is crucial, they have probably lost 50% of the walk up.
£20 is plenty, be prepared for lot's of empty sky blue seats.
Just my opinion PUSB🇧🇼👊🇧🇼

They want people to buy STs which work out cheaper

hill83

They want people to buy STs which work out cheaper

I’ve been in 2 minds for a while. Work 2 weekends a month and also week nights so I’ll be missing at least 10 games. I was probably swaying towards a season ticket anyway but ticket prices have forced the issue.

If I’m being honest it leaves a sour taste in the mouth and has taken some of the shine off it. Loads, and I mean loads of people I have spoken to will be swerving it now. Just how it is.

wingy

It depends how you want to look at it either from a marketing POV or a socially justifiable practice.
I'm a strong believer that a product costs what it costs,you gather all the calcuables, come out with a unit rate per sale/purchase and you have the price.
Seems quite a heavy disparity between the two to me .
I'd buy a st

shmmeee

Just to give a non footballing example. Most of my mates aren’t rich. On the group chat talking about doing an activity going through various options (paintball, ace throwing, etc) up to £20 for something loads of people were in, at £30 only those with a decent job were interested.

Sounds like nothing but it’s a lot for a lot of people.

Users who are viewing this thread