Anti Wasp march / protests. Where are they ? (4 Viewers)

Calista

Exactly this. There is going to be no meaningful protest against Wasps, that time has passed. If people were going to protest against them they would have done it when they moved here. Virtually everybody I know seems to have gone to a Wasp game, including CCFC season ticket holders, and even fans who go to watch Cov Rugby. I won't go and watch them, but it seems I'm in a increasing minority.
As the years pass, younger people will just see them as a Coventry team,harsh but true. Went to Leamington on the train the other day, huge seemingly permanent Wasps adverts at Coventry station, and Wasps adverts at Leamington as well.
All the local media,print,tv and radio,cover them extensively, they are effectively established here, whether we like it or not. Wasps clearly owe a huge debt of gratitude to CCC, and we all know that CCC were and presumably still are desperate to drive Sisu out of Coventry.
This is 100% the point for me. Why didn’t the Wasps fans have the will or the ability to stage any sort of fight? If they hadn’t moved out of London in the first place, it would have been impossible for anybody to pull something like the Coventry move. I believe that relocating to Wycombe diluted them and split them, but I keep getting told that the whole West London commuter region is effectively just one place.

The fans sterilised, the Rugby authorities compliant, a fantastic stadium up for grabs, sponsors gagging for it. It’s going to happen isn’t it? And what local authority in the 21st Century is going to turn down a major sports franchise and hand over assets to blackmailers, on the basis of some quiet rumblings in the Home Counties?

It’s a one-off because of the circumstances, and IMO doesn’t pave the way for any football club to move to another town – they are all embedded in their communities and the Football League (unlike the RFU it would seem) is dead against it.

Anti Wasp march / protests? I can see no practical benefit or moral high ground in backing a campaign that nobody ever started, against something that so many people clearly like.

martcov

This is 100% the point for me. Why didn’t the Wasps fans have the will or the ability to stage any sort of fight? If they hadn’t moved out of London in the first place, it would have been impossible for anybody to pull something like the Coventry move. I believe that relocating to Wycombe diluted them and split them, but I keep getting told that the whole West London commuter region is effectively just one place.

The fans sterilised, the Rugby authorities compliant, a fantastic stadium up for grabs, sponsors gagging for it. It’s going to happen isn’t it? And what local authority in the 21st Century is going to turn down a major sports franchise and hand over assets to blackmailers, on the basis of some quiet rumblings in the Home Counties?

It’s a one-off because of the circumstances, and IMO doesn’t pave the way for any football club to move to another town – they are all embedded in their communities and the Football League (unlike the RFU it would seem) is dead against it.

Anti Wasp march / protests? I can see no practical benefit or moral high ground in backing a campaign that nobody ever started, against something that so many people clearly like.

There is one stadium in Cov that is big enough for a League 1 club.

We rent it for 100000 and get 72000 back from F&B. 28000 net for circa 26 games. About 1000 per game.

With around 10000 crowd the cost per ticket sold is virtually nil.

If we protest, vandalise, insult, slander etc., will they be more or less likely to give us a good deal in the future?

I rent out a couple of flats. If my tenants piss me off, I will up the rent.

I don't see the point of upsetting the people who could put us on the street or up the rent.

I do agree with making noise about SISU. There is the off chance that someone out there will see our situation and make an offer. The protests show that people want CCFC to succeed and that there is a following.

martcov

But that also is SISU, contradicting the rest of it.

To not make a noise for fear of upsetting people who upset us, is the way to get walked over... be they SISU, Wasps or, well... there's another story.

It is not the same. Wasps are fighting Wasps' corner. SISU are fighting their corner - which means trying to preserve some value in CCFC ( it is their sole aim ). Wasps are only interested in keeping Cov happy and getting some Revenue from CCFC. If we piss them off they could just put the rent up for our club and blame unruly city fans. If we make a noise about SISU they cannot hurt us ( fans ) as a retaliation without reducing CCFC's value. So, yes protest against SISU - which threatens to lower CCFC value which would hurt SISU - and/or could lead to movement on the selling front to offload CCFC to someone else.

stupot07

There is one stadium in Cov that is big enough for a League 1 club.

We rent it for 100000 and get 72000 back from F&B. 28000 net for circa 26 games. About 1000 per game.

With around 10000 crowd the cost per ticket sold is virtually nil.

If we protest, vandalise, insult, slander etc., will they be more or less likely to give us a good deal in the future?

I rent out a couple of flats. If my tenants piss me off, I will up the rent.

I don't see the point of upsetting the people who could put us on the street or up the rent.

I do agree with making noise about SISU. There is the off chance that someone out there will see our situation and make an offer. The protests show that people want CCFC to succeed and that there is a following.

I don't get the logic, you honestly think that if cov fans protested against wasps refusing to negotiate with the club and possibly turfing us out next summer will result in them increasing the rent any more than what they will increase the rent to anyway?

The current deal is irrelevant, it runs out next summer, any subsequent deal is very unlikely to be anywhere near as favourable.

Sisu could pull the plug and liquidate us at any point, but its OK to piss them off but not to slightly irritate wasps? (I'm not saying we shouldnt protest and piss sisu off BTW)

If your tenants piss you off and you put up the rent, your tenants will move to another property thats cheaper.

Wasps are going to put up rent regardless IMO or the only other thing to be worried about is being made homeless. Are they really going to do that? Are they bollocks.

We are fine to protest against sisu, and wasps on this, it will make little difference to the terms of any new deal.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

stupot07

It is not the same. Wasps are fighting Wasps' corner. SISU are fighting their corner - which means trying to preserve some value in CCFC ( it is their sole aim ). Wasps are only interested in keeping Cov happy and getting some Revenue from CCFC. If we piss them off they could just put the rent up for our club and blame unruly city fans. If we make a noise about SISU they cannot hurt us ( fans ) as a retaliation without reducing CCFC's value. So, yes protest against SISU - which threatens to lower CCFC value which would hurt SISU - and/or could lead to movement on the selling front to offload CCFC to someone else.
Do you think the new deal will be £100k pa if we all keep quiet and play nicely?

You've pretty much already answered that question by saying wasps will look after themselves, and they want us for revenue. They have 2 loss making businesses, £35m debt and £2.5m pa interest payments to make. So in your opinion do you think the new deal will be on the same level of rent /access to revenue as the current deal (the one negotiated before wasps arrived)?

wingy

Do you think the new deal will be £100k pa if we all keep quiet and play nicely?

You've pretty much already answered that question by saying wasps will look after themselves, and they want us for revenue. They have 2 loss making businesses, £35m debt and £2.5m pa interest payments to make. So in your opinion do you think the new deal will be on the same level of rent /access to revenue as the current deal (the one negotiated before wasps arrived)?

Monday will be revealing.

martcov

No, I think the new deal will be more. One can have a peaceful landlord tenant relationship - as I have with 2 tenants. I haven't raised the rent for years because I don't want to lose my good tenants. I have one tosser who I will gladly charge more to knowing he will have problems in Hamburg finding another flat. They need revenue, but they don't need tossers and for the sake of - even with an increase - relatively, in terms of turnover, little from CCFC, they can afford to mess us around if they so wish. They have other projects in Cov which bring in income to pay the bonds, or they issue new bonds to postpone the repayments. I think Wasps are the wrong target. It is a case of bite the bullet and concentrate on the owners who are directly responsible for the future of CCFC.

stupot07

No, I think the new deal will be more. One can have a peaceful landlord tenant relationship - as I have with 2 tenants. I haven't raised the rent for years because I don't want to lose my good tenants. I have one tosser who I will gladly charge more to knowing he will have problems in Hamburg finding another flat. They need revenue, but they don't need tossers and for the sake of - even with an increase - relatively, in terms of turnover, little from CCFC, they can afford to mess us around if they so wish. They have other projects in Cov which bring in income to pay the bonds, or they issue new bonds to postpone the repayments. I think Wasps are the wrong target. It is a case of bite the bullet and concentrate on the owners who are directly responsible for the future of CCFC.
A fan protest against wasps refusal to negotiate a new deal on top of (not instead of) protesting against Sisu, does not make us Tossers. No one is suggesting vandalism, abuse, etc, just that we let wasps know that as cov fans we're not happy with their role in the current situation.

I don't know what people are so scared of. They are already messing us around. We're not going to move out anyway, wasps and ccfc will end up agreeing another short term agreement.

martcov

A fan protest against wasps refusal to negotiate a new deal on top of (not instead of) protesting against Sisu, does not make us Tossers. No one is suggesting vandalism, abuse, etc, just that we let wasps know that as cov fans we're not happy with their role in the current situation.

I don't know what people are so scared of. They are already messing us around. We're not going to move out anyway, wasps and ccfc will end up agreeing another short term agreement.

Well, you said it. Wasps and CCFC will end up agreeing anyway. I wouldn't get involved in that. That is not our remit. We are customers of SISU ( or their company ) at the end of the day. Wasps are in effect their supplier. They have to deal with it, not us. They don't have an alternative 'supplier' at the moment, so are dependant to a large extent on Wasps' goodwill. Not the best situation, but there it is.

Moff

I'll ask them next time they come and watch Wasps play in Europe.

Funnily enough they will watch their own teams not Wasps. All the Saints fans I know would only set foot in the Ricoh to watch the Saints play there. You do know these teams also play in Europe or are you so lacking in Rugby knowledge you think Wasps are the only ones.

Of course you think you know better though don't you being a fan for less than two seasons.

Moff

No there isn't. They have their favourites and teams that they follow but the majority of dead keen rugby fans will go and watch top quality rugby wherever it is. Football fans don't.

I disagree. I don't know any Saints fans that would follow any other club. Tribalism does exist at some clubs despite you disagreeing.

NorthernWisdom

I disagree. I don't know any Saints fans that would follow any other club. Tribalism does exist at some clubs despite you disagreeing.

Yeah I tend to think it's a sweeping generalisation, much like rugby being a game for toffs etc.

Could argue that the advent of SKy and the Premier League makes football clb tribalism a lot more fluid than it used to be, too... for a younger generation. So I don't think the comparisons between football and Rugby Union are invalid, personally.

ricohroar

I don't do rugby so never been to cov or wasps, however just counted my FB feed of 14 separate people I know at the wasps game today. All families of 4 plus, 11 of these have at least 1 ccfc regular/season ticket holder amounts them

Nick

Administrator
Interesting somebody pointed out the parody fb wasps thing have said about a protest.

Their Photoshop work looks familiar.

Covstu

Wasps are the byproduct of the battle between SISU and the council, this could have easily been a hockey team or a cricket team! I don't get the point of a march against them? This achieves nothing.

SISU are the only people who we need to put pressure on now, whilst I cannot stand the council for what they did and their vindictive nature but that ship has sailed now.

martcov

A Wasps protest showcases that the people are against sporting clubs moving from their historic area.

Ok, but does anyone in power at Wasps or CCFC actually bother about people saying we don't like it? I think CCFC got that anyway when they moved to Northampton and most fans didn't.

italiahorse

Funnily enough they will watch their own teams not Wasps. All the Saints fans I know would only set foot in the Ricoh to watch the Saints play there. You do know these teams also play in Europe or are you so lacking in Rugby knowledge you think Wasps are the only ones.

Of course you think you know better though don't you being a fan for less than two seasons.

I can tell you first hand that Leicester, Northampton and Worcester fans attend Wasps matches when their team is not playing.

Grendel

I can tell you first hand that Leicester, Northampton and Worcester fans attend Wasps matches when their team is not playing.

You also told us first hand 18 months ago it was going to be the JLR stadium....

Moff

I can tell you they will be in a huge minority. We shall agree to disagree because as usual you know best.

Try coming to Saints and seeing what real Rugby support is like, you know a crowd populated by people who pay for their tickets.

italiahorse

I can tell you they will be in a huge minority. We shall agree to disagree because as usual you know best.
Try coming to Saints and seeing what real Rugby support is like, you know a crowd populated by people who pay for their tickets.

I'll stick with my team at the moment ;)

Grendel

You will need to wait a bit longer. Trust me.
Amazing how face to face talking brings out the facts.
Can't be done by keyboard from your bedroom.

That's interesting. What do you know? Where is your source?

Terry Gibson's perm

I don't do rugby so never been to cov or wasps, however just counted my FB feed of 14 separate people I know at the wasps game today. All families of 4 plus, 11 of these have at least 1 ccfc regular/season ticket holder amounts them

Just delete them ;) on Facebook not in life.

Grendel

If I say the source the useful information will stop.:angelic:

Do you think it's likely to happen in the next six months, a year when?

Users who are viewing this thread