Andy Thorn is back... (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Then you could set an example by being realistic about what a scouts role is i.e.

Checking out recommendations - Yes
Wandering around central Africa hoping to spot the next Pele playing in the middle of the road - No

I don't think I have suggested that people should be wandering around Africa. I very much doubt when the clubs like Chelsea find players they are hitch hiking around Africa.

People rave on about him finding gems and good players, there is a difference between somebody saying "Go and have a look at this player" and him saying "I have found this player".

For example if somebody found a Stuart Pearce playing in Non League and we signed him up it would be a good spot, however signing somebody who was in the Team of the Season in the League below is hardly unearthing a gem is it?

Yes the role of a scout is to check out recommendations, it is also to help find players isn't it?

Joy Division

I don't think I have suggested that people should be wandering around Africa. I very much doubt when the clubs like Chelsea find players they are hitch hiking around Africa.

People rave on about him finding gems and good players, there is a difference between somebody saying "Go and have a look at this player" and him saying "I have found this player".

For example if somebody found a Stuart Pearce playing in Non League and we signed him up it would be a good spot, however signing somebody who was in the Team of the Season in the League below is hardly unearthing a gem is it?

Yes the role of a scout is to check out recommendations, it is also to help find players isn't it?

Basically, yes. Then the Chief scouts job is to filter through all the dozens and dozens of recommendations from his team of scouts and other sources, scout them 4 or five times home and away and make a decision.

Grendel

There was one poster on here who event listed Marlon King as one of his finds.

Westwood was £750,000 and league one goalie of the year. That's not scouting that's reading a news paper and putting two and two together. To be fair probably that was a toughie for thorn

SlowerThanPlatt

Obviously the CT have produced an article with about a sentence from Thorn saying 'I'm glad to be working as a scout again'. How on earth are they getting paid for this? Why don't they ask him who do you think should take responsibility for relegating the club from the Championship? What were SISU like to work under? Do you see a positive future for the club now? Was Jutkiewicz sold without you having a decision? Bloody hell, the local newspaper is terrible. The only decent one is Andy Turner.

DazzleTommyDazzle

I'd agree re Chelsea. Clubs like them probably have a significant scouting infrastructure around the world to avoid the poor "super scout" having to wander around doing it all himself.

As I recall Bobby Gould went to watch Pearce play for Wealdstone at Yeovil, on the back of a recommendation. Personally I'd still give Gould huge credit for signing him.

Joy Division

There was one poster on here who event listed Marlon King as one of his finds.

Westwood was £750,000 and league one goalie of the year. That's not scouting that's reading a news paper and putting two and two together. To be fair probably that was a toughie for thorn

Who else was in that team of the year the same season? On that basis perhaps we should have signed all those players.

Sick Boy

It has already been mentioned earlier in this thread. He was recommended to Coleman by someone else.

I am surprised that you haven't tried to give him credit for scouting Robbie Keane or Dion Dublin as well.

Face it, the majority of this forum got shown up for their outlandish claims about Thorn.

Sick Boy

I dont think I would include any of my managerial history if I was him! Yeah strange page he has there, but I'm pretty sure it was the big man himself who recommended Fox and Dann to the club.

hahahaaha!! He wasn't even at CCFC at the time, so how exactly did he recommend them to the club? I thought that Dann & Fox joined under Dowie, well before Thorn even came to the club.

Laughable.

Sick Boy

His PR page is a laugh as well, I think he tries to claim that he was responsible for securing CCFC's future thanks to the club being able to make a profit from selling the likes of Jordan Henderson.
It seems he believed the hype that the idiots created.

NorthernWisdom

His PR page is a laugh as well, I think he tries to claim that he was responsible for securing CCFC's future thanks to the club being able to make a profit from selling the likes of Jordan Henderson.

tbf, it's what half the population does, it seems... blow their job up so a bit of photocopying looks like they managed the entire continental division!

Nick

Administrator
Got the link to it again?

Sick Boy

Got the link to it again?

http://fullcontactlaw.co.uk/2012/10/football-manager-andy-thorn-appoints-fc/

Perhaps the legacy of Andy’s tenure at Coventry will be that he successfully acquired numerous players on free transfers, all of whom soon became considerable assets to the club (most of whom were sold on promptly), such as Jordan Henderson, Jack Cork, Danny Fox, Scott Dann, Keiron Westwood, Richard Keogh, Anar Gunnarsson and Lucas Jutkewitcz. It would be no exaggeration to say that but for the discovery and then sale of some of these players, Coventry may well not have survived.

Joy Division

It has already been mentioned earlier in this thread. He was recommended to Coleman by someone else.

I am surprised that you haven't tried to give him credit for scouting Robbie Keane or Dion Dublin as well.

Face it, the majority of this forum got shown up for their outlandish claims about Thorn.

Not quite sure what you are getting all worked up about, maybe its the hot weather. I guess you are another person who can't work out the difference between scouting and recommending.

Sick Boy

Not quite sure what you are getting all worked up about, maybe its the hot weather. I guess you are another person who can't work out the difference between scouting and recommending.

I'm not worked up, just depressed that I don't know as much about football as the rest of our know-it-all fans.

Your attempts at defending your master are laughable. Are you going out on the boat with MMM & Thorny this weekend?

Joy Division

I'm not worked up, just depressed that I don't know as much about football as the rest of our know-it-all fans.

Your attempts at defending your master are laughable. Are you going out on the boat with MMM & Thorny this weekend?

Where have I said he's my master and that I rate the guy?

Joy Division

I'm just stating that there is a difference between recommending a player and scouting a player. In your view then, any old ex player could phone you up recommend someone so you'd sign him without scouting them? Wow.

DazzleTommyDazzle

And that's when you're not worked up.......

ajsccfc

That PR blurb's a dream. I always look back on the £20m we made on Henderson as what kept us going.

ajsccfc

It does include him in a list of players we got for free who became considerable assets to the club. Pick whichever lie you prefer.

Grendel

No. Does it say he sold him?

How much of this statement is factually accurate?

Perhaps the legacy of Andy’s tenure at Coventry will be that he successfully acquired numerous players on free transfers, all of whom soon became considerable assets to the club (most of whom were sold on promptly), such as Jordan Henderson, Jack Cork, Danny Fox, Scott Dann, Keiron Westwood, Richard Keogh, Anar Gunnarsson and Lucas Jutkewitcz. It would be no exaggeration to say that but for the discovery and then sale of some of these players, Coventry may well not have survived.

Joy Division

How much of this statement is factually accurate?

You tell me.

Joy Division

I would say they are all lies. What do you say?

Totally fine if that's what you think, I personally have no idea. All the information I have its what is publicly published from various sources, you can make your own mind up from any of these. If you are telling me that he was not responsible for recruiting any of those players and that all of that statement is a lie no problem.

Grendel

Thorn was the biggest scourge on this club -- along with Ken Delieu - other than Ray the only twat who'd ever have given him the job in the first place. We'd still be in the Championship if that useless no hoper had never been on our payroll

Grendel

Totally fine if that's what you think, I personally have no idea. All the information I have its what is publicly published from various sources, you can make your own mind up from any of these. If you are telling me that he was not responsible for recruiting any of those players and that all of that statement is a lie no problem.

Er.......its says acquired on Free Transfers - none of those players were free

Users who are viewing this thread