Andy Thorn is back... (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

But not with Cov. Appointed scout for West Brom.

Awful manager for us but can't knock his scouting skills.

Greggs

Has anyone got change for a pound note?

Joy Division

Where would we have been without David Bell, Gary Deegan and the like?

Personally am distinctly unsure about his scouting skills. We ended up with a lot of one paced players who could pass a ball but do little else.

Not forgetting dross like Jordan Henderson, Jack Cork, Danny Fox, Scott Dann, Keiron Westwood, Richard Keogh, Arron Gunnarsson and Lucas Jutkewitcz

Covkid1968#

Pffff.....I'll fold away my "In Thorn we Trust" flag and pop it back with the "In Presley we Trust flag", which is just sitting next to the "In Dowie we Trust" flag. Never appreciated just how big my flag cupboard has become.

Still onwards and upwards....In Mowbray we Trust!!!

AFCCOVENTRY

Pffff.....I'll fold away my "In Thorn we Trust" flag and pop it back with the "In Presley we Trust flag", which is just sitting next to the "In Dowie we Trust" flag. Never appreciated just how big my flag cupboard has become.

Still onwards and upwards....In Mowbray we Trust!!!

Your flag should say "trust no one"

SlowerThanPlatt

The fact that we employed Andy Thorn as manager for a year and a half just shows how badly this club has been mismanaged.

NorthernWisdom

I was going to back down after only being able to find his Linked In page... but his timescales aren't exactly easy to follow in his employment history(!)

https://uk.linkedin.com/pub/andy-thorn/7b/5b4/738

He appears to have been chief scout with us as well as being scout for Everton and Fulham at the same time(!)

Buggered if I know anymore!

I see he misses his Kidderminster stuff off, too, and is a lover of capitals.

DazzleTommyDazzle

The gunnarson who was recommended by some one else and westwood who was in team of the year..

I'd have thought it was a pretty major part of a scout's job to follow up on recommendations to see if they agree that a player is any good - rather than just buying someone "cos he was recommended...".

Although given many of our signings over the last couple of years, perhaps that's exactly how it has been working ;)

Joy Division

I was going to back down after only being able to find his Linked In page... but his timescales aren't exactly easy to follow in his employment history(!)

https://uk.linkedin.com/pub/andy-thorn/7b/5b4/738

He appears to have been chief scout with us as well as being scout for Everton and Fulham at the same time(!)

Buggered if I know anymore!

I see he misses his Kidderminster stuff off, too, and is a lover of capitals.

I dont think I would include any of my managerial history if I was him! Yeah strange page he has there, but I'm pretty sure it was the big man himself who recommended Fox and Dann to the club.

Joy Division

The gunnarson who was recommended by some one else and westwood who was in team of the year..

Recommended by who? And so because Westwood was clearly good it doesn't count as one of his signings? :D

Nick

Administrator
Recommended by who? And so because Westwood was clearly good it doesn't count as one of his signings? :D

It was in the CET somebody recommended him to Coleman, can't remember the name but a former player. Link doesnt work now :(

The largely unknown defensive midfielder was recommended to Coleman by fellow countryman and Bolton striker Heidar Helguson.

Read More http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/cov...#ixzz22ka5bApY

http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threa...pefully-Barton?p=235158&viewfull=1#post235158

Nick

Administrator
There's a difference between recommended and scouted. I doubt he would have signed the player purely on a recommendation.

So what's the credit for if he isn't finding them?

Westwood was in the Team of the year before we signed him.

I can understand if somebody is unearthing gems from the middle of Africa or something who turn out to be amazing players.

Joy Division

I can understand if somebody is unearthing gems from the middle of Africa or something who turn out to be amazing players.

The credit is for scouting, what his job was. I'm pretty certain clubs get recommended dozens of players a day so its the scouts job to filter the shite from the good.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Might be an administrator but do you comment n anything without it being condescending/ patronising. Gets a bit boring :facepalm:

Sorry, I forgot people without a sense of humour read too. I'll try to remember it for next time that people only have moany mode.

DazzleTommyDazzle

You really expect SISU to fund speculative scouting trips to the middle of Africa??????

Astute

Might be an administrator but do you comment n anything without it being condescending/ patronising. Gets a bit boring :facepalm:

Warn us when you are reading so we don't take the piss out of someone coming out with old news. Will leave all kind of banter out if you like. Would be good if we could make it boring on here.

Nick

Administrator
You really expect SISU to fund speculative scouting trips to the middle of Africa??????

No I just expect people to be realistic with what people have or haven't done. Not name players who were here before him because they were good but then ignore the Malaga's.

Joy Division

No I just expect people to be realistic with what people have or haven't done. Not name players who were here before him because they were good but then ignore the Malaga's.

i.e scouted, what his job was and what he is being credited for. Which players that were here before him?

Hobo

Every manager, every scout has picked duff ones. It's like business people, they make duff deals too, doesn't make them an over all bad business person. It's like youth teams, coaches are judged on who makes it into professional football, not just on those who makes it into their own clubs first team.

building good teams is a black art with some luck involved. It would be like me giving you a can of petrol for an engine that wasn't set up properly. It might not work or just run rough. It doesn't mean the petrol is shit or the engine is shit though; does it?

Moff

The credit is for scouting, what his job was. I'm pretty certain clubs get recommended dozens of players a day so its the scouts job to filter the shite from the good.

Was he eating a sausage roll in the stand when he should have been watching Kevin Malaga? or a doughnut with Adam Barton?

Grendel

I dont think I would include any of my managerial history if I was him! Yeah strange page he has there, but I'm pretty sure it was the big man himself who recommended Fox and Dann to the club.

Thorn didn't join until Coleman arrived. Coleman, Steve Keane and thorn all arrived together so he didn't.

Bob Dowie was chief scout then. In fact thorn has only publically claimed credit for one player - David Bell - he he said he had admired for a long time.

DazzleTommyDazzle

Then you could set an example by being realistic about what a scouts role is i.e.

Checking out recommendations - Yes
Wandering around central Africa hoping to spot the next Pele playing in the middle of the road - No

Joy Division

I dont think anyone is ignoring the rubbish players. I agree there were some dodgy ones too but you have to balance it out.

Grendel

Then you could set an example by being realistic about what a scouts role is i.e.

Checking out recommendations - Yes
Wandering around central Africa hoping to spot the next Pele playing in the middle of the road - No

How about scouting players before they even joined the club?

Users who are viewing this thread