Amadou Bakayoko - Confirmed 2 Year Deal (1 Viewer)

Otis

I said it wouldnt surprise me if he was. I'm from near Walsall so know a lot of fans and a lot of them would have been pleased to have let him go on a free in the summer. Can't finish and most of them find him lazy.
I know it's not everything, but apparently he was prolific at academy level, so should know where the net is.

Has Robins let us down before? I trust him. He's made an awful lot of better decisions than many of his predecessors with transfers.

Crazy to write this bloke off. If it's true we are paying a fee of around £150,000-£200,000, MR must see something in him for sure. We don't usually go around splashing loads of cash.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

The typical fan thinking MR is clueless and their own views are nothing short of revolutionary. Why not wait until the window is shut before you make judgements on his transfer business?

Because we've had over a month to replace McNulty and the situation appears to slowly be getting worse.

Of course final judgements can be made when the window is shut, but would you say you were happy with the striker situation as it stands?

larry_david

Maybe MR saw that we desperately needed a goal and brought jch on, who instead of bullying his man decided to not once, but twice fall over him in desperation. That was enough for me to get rid

fernandopartridge

Because we've had over a month to replace McNulty and the situation appears to slowly be getting worse.

Of course final judgements can be made when the window is shut, but would you say you were happy with the striker situation as it stands?

Christ you don't half talk some shite, how is a situation getting worse when we've signed one partial replacement for him already?

CCFC88

We sell McNulty without having a replacement through the door - People lose their sh*t
We sign a replacement before selling JCH/Biamou - People lose their sh*t
Wait till the window is shut and then make a fair, justified evaluation.

Nick

Administrator

Maybe give them 4 or 5 games to see what they are about with how Robins wants to play them?

He might play him a different way to Walsall did. Same as mcgoaldrought

CCFC_Charlie

Robins has never made a poor signing in the transfer market? Vincenti? O’Brien? Barrett? Maguire-Drew? He’s done well overall but acting like he’s infalliable is odd

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Christ you don't half talk some shite, how is a situation getting worse when we've signed one partial replacement for him already?

What are you on about? Talking shite seems to come from you who never actually manages to read other people's posts properly 90% of the time.

I just asked my Walsall supporting colleague his opinion and he was honestly laughing his tits off. I suppose you know more than him though?

skyblueelephant76

No he scored 5 goals in 41 league 1 games last year and none after 13th of January.
And as stated before, when he started he played as a lone striker in a very poor team that didn't create many chances.

I live in Walsall and the people I know all say he has a lot of ability but he's only shown it in patches and probably needs a move to kick on. He's not who I would have wanted to sign but there is definitely potential there and I'm willing to see how it works out before writing him off already.

Skybluefaz

Yes, yes it's a YouTube video and we know most players can look like Ronaldo on them. He's clearly got technical ability and great physical attributes going off this though.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Maybe give them 4 or 5 games to see what they are about with how Robins wants to play them?

He might play him a different way to Walsall did. Same as mcgoaldrought

It's all well and good saying give them 5 games, but I'm thinking about the whole season and not being back in League 2.

Robins is worrying me to be honest. As per my last post, my colleague at work described him as shit, and said 200k was 'literally daylight robbery'.

I'm prepared to give him a bit more than that, but even so. How can anyone look at this situation and be satisfied?

SkyBlueCRJ

I wouldn't say I'm unhappy but fans need to be realistic. In the current market it is extremely difficult to replace a 25+ striker with another unless you invest significantly. Posters on here seem to believe it's a black and white situation and I'm baffled why. It's not as simple as receiving £1.2m for McNulty then throwing £1.2m at a club for their most prized asset.

I've been fairly critical of MR in some of my posts as I believe his naivety in replacing McNulty in the Chaplin saga has put a question mark in his effectiveness in transfer negotiations. Note that the majority of his signings have been free agents, loans, and players from non-league. Maybe he struggles when opposing managers play silly buggers.

Signing Hiwula was a coup IMO. He's proven at this level and given a full season he could probably score 10-15 goals this season. If he was handed to you at the start of the season you would you have said no? Having a talisman isn't the be all and end all of a successful team. There have been plenty of successful teams that have shared the goals. None of the play-off contenders in League One had a 20+ goal scorer in their team. Neither did Blackburn.

So personally I want to make my judgement at the end of the window, and subsequently when I've seen a player kick a ball rather than think the world is ending now.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I wouldn't say I'm unhappy but fans need to be realistic. In the current market it is extremely difficult to replace a 25+ striker with another unless you invest significantly. Posters on here seem to believe it's a black and white situation and I'm baffled why. It's not as simple as receiving £1.2m for McNulty then throwing £1.2m at a club for their most prized asset.

I've been fairly critical of MR in some of my posts as I believe his naivety in replacing McNulty in the Chaplin saga has put a question mark in his effectiveness in transfer negotiations. Note that the majority of his signings have been free agents, loans, and players from non-league. Maybe he struggles when opposing managers play silly buggers.

Signing Hiwula was a coup IMO. He's proven at this level and given a full season he could probably score 10-15 goals this season. If he was handed to you at the start of the season you would you have said no? Having a talisman isn't the be all and end all of a successful team. There have been plenty of successful teams that have shared the goals. None of the play-off contenders in League One had a 20+ goal scorer in their team. Neither did Blackburn.

So personally I want to make my judgement at the end of the window, and subsequently when I've seen a player kick a ball rather than think the world is ending now.

I did a comparison between the relegation season strike force and the one we have now. There didn't look to be a lot of difference to be honest.

It's all well and good being patient, and waiting til the window has closed. If you like, give the players 5 games to bed in or whatever.

The reality is this situation looks very desperate as it stands, and there is nothing wrong with expressing some concern at that.

NorthernWisdom

I'm prepared to give him a bit more than that
If he comes, I'll support him and look forward to him being the steal of the century, and proof that Robins is a genius when it comes to picking up cheap strikers.

Think it's fair to say this one isn't who we expected, mind you.

Then again... it's one bloke who was a first team regular, and we were getting excited about signing a Portsmouth reserve!

Nick

Administrator
It's all well and good saying give them 5 games, but I'm thinking about the whole season and not being back in League 2.

Robins is worrying me to be honest. As per my last post, my colleague at work described him as shit, and said 200k was 'literally daylight robbery'.

I'm prepared to give him a bit more than that, but even so. How can anyone look at this situation and be satisfied?
I'm confused as to where he will fit in but hardly not satisfied.

There's no real way to tell without giving him a chance to play and then watching him.

No point judging him before he has even put on a shirt, I'll watch him for myself to get a view on him.

It's going to be like the whole obsession over collins but with chaplin this year if he doesn't sign.

People sat at home never seeing anything going on being the experts based on the media coverage.

We could have only signed Chaplin where he has a massive expectation so after five games people are moaning about him.

Ccfcisparks

I did a comparison between the relegation season strike force and the one we have now. There didn't look to be a lot of difference to be honest.

It's all well and good being patient, and waiting til the window has closed. If you like, give the players 5 games to bed in or whatever.

The reality is this situation looks very desperate as it stands, and there is nothing wrong with expressing some concern at that.
Who from the relegation season other than Thomas is better than anything we have got at the minute?

Ashdown

Listening to many of the comments from Walsall fans, I'm thinking if this guy doesn't exactly bang in the goals then we may have been better sitting on that sort of cash and using it in the loan market......unless of course we do actually have a striker lined up of some sort elsewhere.

CCFC_Charlie

Even if we sign another, McNulty-esque striker after this we’ll be sitting on 6 strikers in the squad while playing 1 up front. So that leaves us either playing strikers on the wings (never works) or having 5 unhappy strikers who want to start every week. Squad assembly feels very poor, not really sure what the overall plan is. Signing players for the sake of signing players.

fernandopartridge

What are you on about? Talking shite seems to come from you who never actually manages to read other people's posts properly 90% of the time.

I just asked my Walsall supporting colleague his opinion and he was honestly laughing his tits off. I suppose you know more than him though?

You do talk shite, you have no first hand evidence base for any of the assertions you've made. You've written Hiwula off already you cretin.

Oh yeah, the Walsall supporting colleague. What did he think of Hiwula or did you just make him up for the sake of the Bakayoko bashing?

Yorkshire SB

Unfortunately at this level the forward market is nearly impossible to get right (or satisfy fans), unless you have a relatively huge budget. Any decent (or proven) League 1 striker is going to cost £500k plus, and even at that you'd still be taking a gamble, probably based on potential.

I think we just have to go with it and see if they can get it right, this guy is 22 and therefore someway off his full potential. If he got 12 goals this season, then you'd probably say it's a success and hopefully he'd go better the year after, which is more where our focus is, I think.

steve cooper

Maybe MR is a believer in the infinite monkey theorem, give enough monkeys a typewriter and they will type the complete works of Shakespeare.
Get in enough average strikers and one of them will score goals

Perryccfc

An accurate, logical and measured response... You can't be a Cov fan?!

Nick

Administrator
Even if we sign another, McNulty-esque striker after this we’ll be sitting on 6 strikers in the squad while playing 1 up front. So that leaves us either playing strikers on the wings (never works) or having 5 unhappy strikers who want to start every week. Squad assembly feels very poor, not really sure what the overall plan is. Signing players for the sake of signing players.
Ponti will go out on loan

Perryccfc

Are you really that fucking dim you think MR is sat at home twiddling his thumbs thinking "Fuck, i'll just sign him because i've got some money"? Jesus wept, please think about these things. It's not Football Manager!

Nick

Administrator
Are you really that fucking dim you think MR is sat at home twiddling his thumbs thinking "Fuck, i'll just sign him because i've got some money"? Jesus wept, please think about these things. It's not Football Manager!
Same clowns would be moaning we didn't spend money

SkyBlueCRJ

How could you compare the two sides when Andre Wright or Daniel Agyei had never played first team football prior to their loans with us? Most of our strikers have first team experience at League One level and above? Hiwula got to the play-offs with Bradford in the 2016-17 season so how are you unhappy with the striker situation?

I wouldn't suggest it's desperate. My view is, MR has targeted a player in Bakayoko that is better than what we currently have. E.g. Biamou. As I mentioned in a previous post Biamou was targeted by clubs at the beginning of the window but would have likely been put off by his contract extension. Maybe the situation has changed. Or maybe we're swapping a player as well as playing a fee for Bakayoko. I'm not saying you can't express some concern, I'm just saying have an open mind as MR hasn't gone too far wrong so far in terms of recruitment. Express concern if the signings aren't performing, not when they're not even in the building yet.

Nick

Administrator
How could you compare the two sides when Andre Wright or Daniel Agyei had never played first team football prior to their loans with us? All of our players have first team experience at League One level and above? Hiwula got to the play-offs with Bradford in the 2016-17 season so how are you unhappy with the striker situation?

I wouldn't suggest it's desperate. My view is, MR has targeted a player in Bakayoko that is better than what we currently have. E.g. Biamou. As I mentioned in a previous post Biamou was targeted by clubs at the beginning of the window but would have likely been put off by his contract extension. Maybe the situation has changed. Or maybe we're swapping a player as well as playing a fee for Bakayoko. I'm not saying you can't express some concern, I'm just saying have an open mind as MR hasn't gone too far wrong so far in terms of recruitment. Express concern if the signings aren't performing, not when they're not even in the building yet.
How can he compare them when we have only played one game at this level which I doubt he saw.

Users who are viewing this thread