All purpose cricket thread (2 Viewers)

Grendel

Yorkshire never had an overseas player or anyone not born in Yorkshire playing for them until the early 90s. Might have been tendulker who was the first I think,

Correct - I remember games in the 80's where although there was no actual aggression the comments would have been worse than the average Millwall fan at the Den

Sky Blue Pete

Yeah! It’s not often people are overtly racist in the civil service now but recently after George Flloyd we looked at our recruitment policy and found

At sift those getting through from Bame roughly reflect society. So say 10% of applications are from Bame and 10% of those getting through are from Bame

When it came to interview of those 10%the figure of those offered the job fell off a cliff!!

Now very little overt racism exists so what the hell is that about? I can’t believe people are marking people lower because of the colour of their skin and if they did they wouldn’t write it anywhere.

So what is it? Understanding what’s said? Putting people at ease?
I really don’t know but it’s a stain on everyone

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Not surprising really - Yorkshire Cricket Club has always been a pretty odd place thats never moved on from the 50's

There are now the claims from Essex and frankly I wouldn't be surprised if similar stories weren't coming out of a lot of counties. It's a game synonomous with being run by old middle-class white men. It has probably been ignored because as far as those running the game are concerned all of it is absolutely fine and there's no problem, and others were too scared to speak out for fear of what it would do to their careers.

Grendel

There are now the claims from Essex and frankly I wouldn't be surprised if similar stories weren't coming out of a lot of counties. It's a game synonomous with being run by old middle-class white men. It has probably been ignored because as far as those running the game are concerned all of it is absolutely fine and there's no problem, and others were too scared to speak out for fear of what it would do to their careers.

How many cricket grounds have you been to in the 80’s and what’s your view?

Sky Blue Pete

And worse they’ll be plenty who don’t think it’s wrong to make jokes or pick players because they can say their names more easily. We are at our worst a very us and them society. Cricket and other sports have such a responsibility to be places where all that shit doesn’t happen.

Thought Rafiq was excellent today. Lucid real, honest. Very reliable witness

Grendel

And worse they’ll be plenty who don’t think it’s wrong to make jokes or pick players because they can say their names more easily. We are at our worst a very us and them society. Cricket and other sports have such a responsibility to be places where all that shit doesn’t happen.

Thought Rafiq was excellent today. Lucid real, honest. Very reliable witness

It is worth pointing out he can make accusations without reprisal in that environment - he constantly said he didn’t want individuals named - but did name them. So now aspirations are cast on David Lloyd and Joe Root has amnesia at best.

Yorkshire is a very different animal to most other clubs - I’ve no doubt that a lot of what’s said is true but I cannot see how someone can be able to do this without any form of comeback at all

Grendel

My memories of cricket in the 80’s and early 90’s when I regularly attended games across the country versus football was far more in tune with just valuing the players rather than skin colour - other than Yorkshire - it was all embracing.

Sky Blue Pete

It is worth pointing out he can make accusations without reprisal in that environment - he constantly said he didn’t want individuals named - but did name them. So now aspirations are cast on David Lloyd and Joe Root has amnesia at best.

Yorkshire is a very different animal to most other clubs - I’ve no doubt that a lot of what’s said is true but I cannot see how someone can be able to do this without any form of comeback at all
Court of human opinion and Yorkshire had their chance and failed

Sky Blue Pete

David Lloyd has apologised and Gary Ballance so I think his memory seems sound. Reliable if you will

Grendel

David Lloyd has apologised and Gary Ballance so I think his memory seems sound. Reliable if you will

According to the testimony today Ballances words were not considered an apology and Vaughan’s reputation is trashed

Grendel

True and he’s been quiet since and others to rafiq did

The point is it’s not a court of law. Rafiq could have said you were a racist today named you personally you could not do a thing about it.

Sky Blue Pete

Doesn’t excuse it but look at Tim Bresnans public comments. How hard is it?? Not very

Warwickshire said the report includes allegations of bullying against Rafiq by Bresnan regarding comments Bresnan made about Rafiq's weight.

They said: "We have spoken to Tim about this and he admits making such a comment. We understand there was no substantiated suggestion of racism against Tim, but he is devastated to learn of the impact of his comments."

Bresnan responded in a statement, stating: "I have been made aware of the bullying claims made against me and have listened to Azeem Rafiq's account of his time at Yorkshire CCC today with great distress, as I'm sure everyone will have done.

"For any part I played in contributing to Azeem Rafiq's experience of feeling bullied at Yorkshire, I apologise unreservedly."

Warthog

Grendel

It’s ridiculous - it’s trial by media, no right of defence and hung out to dry - the fiasco also now of BT Sports trying to find a way of not using Fox commentary for the Ashes as Vaughan is a pundit

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It’s ridiculous - it’s trial by media, no right of defence and hung out to dry - the fiasco also now of BT Sports trying to find a way of not using Fox commentary for the Ashes as Vaughan is a pundit
He could always take out a civil suit for defamation...

Brighton Sky Blue

Well some unfortunate tweets have also come to light.

Users who are viewing this thread