All purpose cricket thread (4 Viewers)

chiefdave

Looks like the favoured plan from the ECB for next season after complaints about how the lack of country cricket hindered the England team is to make it to all intents and purposes a 2nd XI completion by running it alongside The Hundred.

They're also looking at having the Blast act as a warm up for The Hundred by getting the whole tournament completed then a draft, then The Hundred.

Alongside what they've done to the One Day Cup it seems like they're on a mission to completely devalue county cricket.

tisza

Looks like the favoured plan from the ECB for next season after complaints about how the lack of country cricket hindered the England team is to make it to all intents and purposes a 2nd XI completion by running it alongside The Hundred.

They're also looking at having the Blast act as a warm up for The Hundred by getting the whole tournament completed then a draft, then The Hundred.

Alongside what they've done to the One Day Cup it seems like they're on a mission to completely devalue county cricket.
Pointless. Running cc alongside Hundred won't help Test side as most candidates will be playing the Hundred.
Can see this blowing up as focussing on the Hundred helps selected bank balances and that's it.
Once the Test and 2 white ball start suffering then it will implode. Football aside all sports popularity/ appeal are based on successful national teams. Sky won't be forking out increased sums for national team TV rights if they're not performing.
Maybe the intention is to get smaller counties give up running red ball sides.
Bit like the Premier League and ill-fated European super League it seems to a power grab by the ECB. Money and influence over what's best for the game as a whole.

wingy

I just don't understand it enough ,but is it a reaction as the five day format has been usurped by modern life literally.
Is it too archaic to foster and deliver it in the 2020's?
IE Just innovation and demand led , I realise I think the sense of lost tradition.

Gleneagles65

Warwickshire going for the title today. Set Somerset a teasing target then hopefully roll them over. Weather set fair and could be a decent crowd by Championship standards.

Terry Gibson's perm

Warwickshire going for the title today. Set Somerset a teasing target then hopefully roll them over. Weather set fair and could be a decent crowd by Championship standards.

I think it’s free entry as well, I will have to sit and watch the stream.

chiefdave

Problem is going to be Somerset don't really have anything to play for so they can just block all day for a draw. Its only the difference between being bottom and second from bottom for them.

tisza

Problem is going to be Somerset don't really have anything to play for so they can just block all day for a draw. Its only the difference between being bottom and second from bottom for them.
Just got to go for it. Set them a gettable 320ish from 70 - doesn't matter if we lose

or 270 ish from 80 (declared as I was typing :) )

chiefdave

Game on now for sure. Lets knock these over nice and early. Don't want a finish as nerve wracking as Lancs v Hants yesterday!

Terry Gibson's perm

It is starting to stop a bit low now. It would have been nice to see Stone or Henry Brookes having a little go on this.

Terry Gibson's perm

Yesss four down Miles and that one had a little bounce, it seems quite different at each end

tisza

Bold approach paid off from start of 2nd innings. Then a good declaration, then some top seam bowling. And for once some good commentary on Youtube.
Wouldn't have had us winning this back in April.

Terry Gibson's perm

Yeah he's probably coming home then

It said in the report to play county cricket for Worcestershire but I can’t see that being for long as the ecb will want him in a city to promote to the local community.

tisza

It said in the report to play county cricket for Worcestershire but I can’t see that being for long as the ecb will want him in a city to promote to the local community.
tbh I'd take him back for white ball but if he's not going to play Test cricket then not bothered about him playing red ball.

Users who are viewing this thread