Match Thread AFC Wimbledon v Coventry (1 Viewer)

RoboCCFC90

Last night, what a frustration.

Same as Sunday against Incester in the sense of we are winning and controlling the game, but when the moment comes to kill the opposition off and we don't take our chances, ultimately end up losing the game.

I am not starting to panic and calling for heads to roll, but it's important that Haji gets up to speed ASAP and Godden and Simms start contributing with goals, they've had a full pre-season and scored goals in that time, especially the latter, therefore, there is no excuse.

Twenty-eight shots on goal last night, eleven on target and we only scored from a penalty. That is not good enough.

Hoping for better on Saturday.

DannyThomas_1981

Just watched highlights that simms miss is absolutely shocking and it was foul throw for there second but we lost , can't defend against an absolutely shit league 2 side and after bringing on first teamers. Better sort this out quick as no game is ever easy in this league and I we don't want to be bottom after 5 games.
I usually agree with you coop. But I would say our defence in the last 20 mins yesterday was not first choice as it stands. As in: Eccles (RWB), Saka (LWB), Bidwell (LCB) etc.

Looks to me at this very early point of the season that our first choice defence will be Van Ewijk (RWB), JDS (LWB), Thomas (RCB) McFadz (CB), Lats (LCB), Effectively 4 different defenders to how we finished last night.

And also Wilson in goals.

Not saying we should have conceded 2 in the last 10 mins either but it was a makeshift defence by that point.

clint van damme

I usually agree with you coop. But I would say our defence in the last 20 mins yesterday was not first choice as it stands. As in: Eccles (RWB), Saka (LWB), Bidwell (LCB) etc.

Looks to me at this very early point of the season that our first choice defence will be Van Ewijk (RWB), JDS (LWB), Thomas (RCB) McFadz (CB), Lats (LCB), Effectively 4 different defenders to how we finished last night.

And also Wilson in goals.

Not saying we should have conceded 2 in the last 10 mins either but it was a makeshift defence by that point.

From the little I've seen I would currently have Eccles starting over Van Ewijk.

Hertsccfc

I'm a big fan of JE but in midfield - I still don't see RWB as his natural position.

Van Ewijk looked much improved at Dons vs. Leicester - getting up to speed - and his pace is going to be a very key asset in our team.
Sorry I saw no improvement in his play last night and he looked poor against League 2 opponents. I hope it is just a matter of fitness but I didn't see what you saw in his performance. He even looked slow.

Brighton Sky Blue

Fwiw, I don't think he does too much wrong, he reacts to it far quicker than anyone else but it's a great reaction from the keeper.

Thanks for finding that, certainly a better view than the one we had. I would still say it isn’t great reactions if the ball’s been hit at you and it goes down as a wasted chance in my view.

clint van damme

I'm a big fan of JE but in midfield - I still don't see RWB as his natural position.

Van Ewijk looked much improved at Dons vs. Leicester - getting up to speed - and his pace is going to be a very key asset in our team.

I don't see it as his natural position but based on the little I've seen he's a better option that VE at the moment. Looks like he'll need a bit of time to settle in.

Skyblueweeman

Disappointing result but this cup seems to hate us. A defeat to L2 opposition doesn't look great - especially when the team wasn't exactly a 2nd string outfit.

That said, we had a shocking start last season and it ended well. Our team WILL gel. Likely, not all the signings we've made will work out but I'm pretty confident that the likes of MVE, Simms, Wright etc will become great players for us. We might lose on Saturday - it's still not the end of the world.

Have faith, trust the process.

In a weird twist of fate, I actually know Omar Bugiel who scored the equaliser last night, from his time at Sutton United, whom my business also work with. Just messaged him and said 'how could you?!'.

ccfc1234

Yes, the ball number would be the same. But change our result and you really think that's the ONLY thing that changes?
I am not saying your right or wrong but do you think if someone decides to watch the game at home on TV Saturday vs attending it might be a different result?

djr8369

From the little I've seen I would currently have Eccles starting over Van Ewijk.
I sort of agree. As I said before the Leicester game we are solid with Eccles there, but MVE also needs to play to get up to speed. MR said he didn’t play much preseason, so it’s partly fitness (which is a big issue with an energetic WB who is supposed to be getting up and down the pitch) but also his positioning looks like it needs improvement which will only come with time.

shmmeee

It’s no surprise. Literally every player we’ve brought in under Robins has had to take time to get up to the expected standards. Players who are out take time too. Clearly we expect a lot from players.

Add in that the entire system will have changed even though the formation hasn’t. There’s a lot to work on.

I genuinely think we’re just going to have to play through it until everyone gets up to speed. Playing last years players because they know last years system doesn’t necessarily help long term.

djr8369

It’s no surprise. Literally every player we’ve brought in under Robins has had to take time to get up to the expected standards. Players who are out take time too. Clearly we expect a lot from players.

Add in that the entire system will have changed even though the formation hasn’t. There’s a lot to work on.

I genuinely think we’re just going to have to play through it until everyone gets up to speed. Playing last years players because they know last years system doesn’t necessarily help long term.
And as much as we’ve brought in better players who cost more money most have no experience in the championship or even English football. Simms has but played very little the second half of the season.

Wright is the most experienced at a similar level and is the one who looks most ready despite being last in.

Old Warwickshire lad

I’m not saying he should be feeling the pressure. It’s more he’s been given the tools finally to improve the squad, so how long would Doug give him? Last year we accepted a 10 game winless streak at the start because we didn’t have a pitch and let’s face it SISU gave him 2 pints of lager and pack of crisps to work with.
This is a piss take isn’t it?

fernandopartridge

Agreed. I'm also of a mind that Eccles was very good in central midfield last season, very good at seeing and snuffing out danger. Seems silly to give that up.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

And as much as we’ve brought in better players who cost more money most have no experience in the championship or even English football. Simms has but played very little the second half of the season.

Wright is the most experienced at a similar level and is the one who looks most ready despite being last in.
16 starts in total last season which isn't much, 2 of those after the new year.

Funny though his only two starts for Everton were away at Old Trafford and Anfield.

CCFCSteve

16 starts in total last season which isn't much, 2 of those after the new year.

Funny though his only two starts for Everton were away at Old Trafford and Anfield.

Yeah, they may as well have left him on loan but guessing they couldn’t risk it. Bound to be a bit rusty. He’ll be fine once he’s fully up to speed…just hope he can nick a couple in the meantime to get his confidence up

Cobi Jones's Dreads

Crazy miss all things considered, really needs a goal ASAP and hopefully it’s Saturday.

IMG_6128.jpeg

usskyblue

Yeah.. we’ve missed some chances but tobyfair, in the two games we’ve come up against goalkeepers that have pulled off some fuckingtopdrawer saves. The fingertip save from the Haji shot v Lestah and the lad last night was lightning quick to deny Simms.

Brighton Sky Blue

Fair enough, I haven't looked very closely at it, but I really didn't think he passed up a chance to simply tap it past someone lying passively on the ground, which is how that pic makes it look.
Watching it live, admittedly from the other end of the ground, he hit the rebound straight at the keeper rather than it being cat like reflexes

Users who are viewing this thread