Accrington Stanley (2 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
Like I said - I'm late to this group. I hadn't appreciated our heady days in the top two divisions. I'll now try and surpress my disgust that our 'level' is a mid table 3rd div team.

I don't mean to really rub salt in the wounds.

Julian Gray has gone too :( :)

oscillatewildly

They're frickin massive. They were once name checked in a milk advert. Has anybody ever employed our 'services' to promote their product? I can only recall mild ridicule in a Monty Python sketch.

Sky Blue Harry H

Can't be bothered to google it, but is the Windass who has been playing for Accrington the son of Dean (the one who played for Hull ? until he was close to 40)?

ccfc92

They're frickin massive. They were once name checked in a milk advert. Has anybody ever employed our 'services' to promote their product? I can only recall mild ridicule in a Monty Python sketch.

The ladbrokes advert?

"This guys the believer, that's why he's backed Coventry to win away this week"

Hobo

Also unbelievable that burnley are in the prem and burtonare in the championship. Our great club are languishing in this shit league with owners who are happy with that and couldnt give a toss

Burnley have spent 53 years as a level 1 club and 11 at level 3. Coventry 34 at level 1 and 25 at level 3.

However since returning to level 3 the fact we have been so poor is a disgrace.

Hobo

It's not arrogance, more frustration and envy.

The problem with a lot of our fans is that our expectations are not high enough. People who 'settle' for mid-table in the 3rd division should have a serious word with themselves.

We are where we are because that's where we deserve to be. But for our club to be entering its 5th consecutive season in the 3rd division is hard to take. Good luck to those clubs that punch above their weight, apart from Leicester obviously.

Nobody is settling for mid table. But we are where we are and we have to rebuild the club on realistic and sensible lines. We have actually seen progress this season, the first time in a long time. Burton came into this league on merit and got out of it on merit. I found it amazing how many people said they wouldn't last the pace? Then again people were saying that about Leicester weren't they?

Yes we as a club have a lot to be proud of, but you still have to respect the achievements others. In fact I don't think you can have real pride in yourself or as a club unless you respect others!

Hobo

We have been in this division for several years now so we are not winning

But we have won more this season than we have previously. So progress made for a change. The January window is difficult as the right people are not always available. Yes he took a few gambles and they didn't come off Hunt being one. I don't think anyone can build a side in one window and what he inherited was pretty poor.

Astute

But we have won more this season than we have previously. So progress made for a change. The January window is difficult as the right people are not always available. Yes he took a few gambles and they didn't come off Hunt being one. I don't think anyone can build a side in one window and what he inherited was pretty poor.

I didn't say we hadn't made progress. I said we have not been winning. We have been playing mainly smaller clubs than ourselves. We shouldn't be mid table at best and most of the time near the bottom. And like I said we haven't been winning. We have had half a season and that is it.

Sky Blue Kid

I hope every year we will win the league, I hope we win every game.

If we got every person in Coventry with the mentality we were going to win the league and the whole city got behind the team then maybe it would make a difference.

Ever since I can remember, even as a kid it's always got jokes when saying you are a city fan. ( from other people from Coventry). The only time there seems to be people getting behind the club (not owners) is when there is a sniff of success. Maybe if during the bad times everybody got down there and got behind the club it might make a difference.

It took 3-4 seasons after JH came in before we saw any sort of success. IIRC we were getting great crowds(At least, a lot better than today's) Surely that tells you something? 33k-36k was not out of the ordinary... and that was Division 3 football.

Grendel

It took 3-4 seasons after JH came in before we saw any sort of success. IIRC we were getting great crowds(At least, a lot better than today's) Surely that tells you something? 33k-36k was not out of the ordinary... and that was Division 3 football.

It tells me things we different 50 years ago

Nick

Administrator

Wasn't it the same for all teams back then?

Hobo

Only the season they got promoted an average around 26,000. The year before they finished 4th average around 17,000. The two seasons before that it was around 10-11,000.

Sky Blue Kid

I've always said, if a Football Club wants success, it has to stem from within the Club(Owners and Management)
I'll ask all of you a question... Do you want to see CCFC play Football in the Premier League? If the answer is yes, then let's turn back the clock 50 years and get in decent owners like the Robbins family, who were not afraid to put their hands in their pockets and supply JH with the financial backing to get us to the top division. Or do you want/are happy with floating around mid-table in Division 3 for ever?... Football isn't a business that will make owners rich, the exceptions being the usual Man U. Man C. Chelsea. Liverpool's of this world. So those of you who say we need to be self sufficient ie= SISU can't afford it crap!... Robbins was a Millionaire... Sepalla is a Billionaire, who now knows if you don't speculate, you won't accumulate. To end, 99% of football teams want the Premier League football, but they also know they will go into debt getting there..... Your call!

Sky Blue Kid

Only the season they got promoted an average around 26,000. The year before they finished 4th average around 17,000. The two seasons before that it was around 10-11,000.

To get an average gate of 26k there has to be gates in excess of 33k-36k does there not?

Sky Blue Kid

It tells me things we different 50 years ago

I'll tell you what it tells me Grenduffy... Owners wanted the very best football at their Clubs and were willing to go into debt to get it. It wasn't a business thing as such, more a Prestige sort of thing.

Last edited:

Hobo

I've always said, if a Football Club wants success, it has to stem from within the Club(Owners and Management)
I'll ask all of you a question... Do you want to see CCFC play Football in the Premier League? If the answer is yes, then let's turn back the clock 50 years and get in decent owners like the Robbins family, who were not afraid to put their hands in their pockets and supply JH with the financial backing to get us to the top division. Or do you want/are happy with floating around mid-table in Division 3 for ever?... Football isn't a business that will make owners rich, the exceptions being the usual Man U. Man C. Chelsea. Liverpool's of this world. So those of you who say we need to be self sufficient ie= SISU can't afford it crap!... Robbins was a Millionaire... Sepalla is a Billionaire, who now knows if you don't speculate, you won't accumulate. To end, 99% of football teams want the Premier League football, but they also know they will go into debt getting there..... Your call!

Being a millionaire back in the 1960's was a lot of financial clout. I have seen no evidence that Sepalla is a billionaire.

Until someone comes in with money to burn, the club has to be run on self sufficient lines in order for it to survive. That is not to say it cannot compete and be successful. But what it does need is a structure and plan for success to come. Leicester have reaped the rewards of a good scouting system. I would also say prior to this season we have reaped the rewards of a poor one.

skyblue1991

I'll tell you what it tells me Grenduffy... Owners wanted the very best football at their Clubs and were willing to go into debt to get it. It wasn't a business thing as such, more a Prestige sort of thing.
Because the debt was thousands insetead of millions.

It's a much much bigger risk today than it was back then.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator

Seppalla is a billionaire?

You can't compare it to things 50 years ago, everything has changed since then.

Nick

Administrator
Was it? you tell me?

Pretty much, things were different weren't they? No playstations, no sky sports.

I wasn't born, but it is quite obvious. Attendances were stupidly high weren't they for a lot of teams? It wasn't just us.

Sky Blue Kid

Because the debt was thousands insetead of millions.

It's a much much bigger risk today than it was back then.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Your reasoning is the same as Nick's. A thousand pounds 50 years ago is probably the same value now as £1m or even more. A "Mars Bar 40 years ago cost about sixpence(For those that don't know) sixpence is the equivalent of two and a half pence today... You see if you can get one today for much less than 60p. A bag of chips sixpence, will cost you £1-50 to £2 See the inflated difference now mate;) So that blows you post way out of the water ;)

Nick

Administrator
Your reasoning is the same as Nick's. A thousand pounds 50 years ago is probably the same value now as £1m or even more. A "Mars Bar 40 years ago cost about sixpence(For those that don't know) sixpence is the equivalent of two and a half pence today... You see if you can get one today for much less than 60p. A bag of chips sixpence, will cost you £1-50 to £2 See the inflated difference now mate;) So that blows you post way out of the water ;)

Really? £1000 is worth a million now?

£1 in 1952 was worth about £20 - £25 wasn't it? (from Google)

So £1000 then would be about £20 - £25k.

Far from a million, the same as Seppalla is far from a Billionaire.

Sky Blue Kid

Being a millionaire back in the 1960's was a lot of financial clout. I have seen no evidence that Sepalla is a billionaire.

Until someone comes in with money to burn, the club has to be run on self sufficient lines in order for it to survive. That is not to say it cannot compete and be successful. But what it does need is a structure and plan for success to come. Leicester have reaped the rewards of a good scouting system. I would also say prior to this season we have reaped the rewards of a poor one.

This was found by Oldfiver....
Joy Seppala: Did You Know?

Founder of Sisu Capital Ltd - The Head Honcho

Of interest is that she is also a protegé of Jon Huntsman of Huntsman Chemical, former Governor of Utah (yep, good Mormon Stock with 9 children) who is Running for 2012 Republican Presidential Candidacy. Talk about friends in high places, and, let's make it clear, not short of a dollar or two. Self made fortune in Chemical Industry Including UK operations and has a personal net worth of $1.6 Billion.

Not clear who this perports to but there you go.

Last edited:

Hobo

This was found by Oldfiver....
Joy Seppala: Did You Know?

Founder of Sisu Capital Ltd - The Head Honcho

Of interest is that she is also a protegé of Jon Huntsman of Huntsman Chemical, former Governor of Utah (yep, good Mormon Stock with 9 children) who is Running for 2012 Republican Presidential Candidacy. Talk about friends in high places, and, let's make it clear, not short of a dollar or two. Self made fortune in Chemical Industry Including UK operations and has a personal net worth of $1.6 Billion.

Not clear who this perports to but there you go.

As Nick thinks....seems to be about John Huntsman not Seppala. She doesn't feature on Forbes rich list?

Users who are viewing this thread