Accrington Stanley (1 Viewer)

Rodders1

We're actually going to be in the same division next season. Unbelievable.

lifeskyblue

Not necessarily. They haven't won today so they not got automatic promotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Latchford

the gas coming up instead .

NorthernWisdom

Tell you what though, you have to give John Coleman immense credit for the job he's done there. Have him in the 'who could we get if Mowbray left' list...

Last season they sold 400 tseason tickets during their early bird, only a couple of seasons since they struggled to hit 200 season tickets in total.

D

Deleted member 2477

Also unbelievable that burnley are in the prem and burtonare in the championship. Our great club are languishing in this shit league with owners who are happy with that and couldnt give a toss

Rodders1

What's not believable?
Sorry it's my outrageous view that CCFC 34 years in the top flight - might, just might be a bigger club that them.

I know I know . I have to get real. But still if we line up against them next season - it sums up our demise. Shocking.

Nick

Administrator
Sorry it's my outrageous view that CCFC 34 years in the top flight - might, just might be a bigger club that them.

I know I know . I have to get real. But still if we line up against them next season - it sums up our demise. Shocking.

We spent longer in the Prem than a lot of Prem / Championship teams. We don't have any god given right to it though. I wish we did.

I think that is an issue with some fans expectations.

Hobo

I think it is great all these unfashionable clubs doing well. Some of our fans seem to have enough arrogance to be Man United fans?

fernandopartridge

Also unbelievable that burnley are in the prem and burtonare in the championship. Our great club are languishing in this shit league with owners who are happy with that and couldnt give a toss

Burnley were division 1 champions once while Coventry were in division 3. What's your point?

Gazolba

We've already been in the same division as Crawley and Stevenage who have until recently always been at a much lower level than Accrington.

theferret

I think it is great all these unfashionable clubs doing well. Some of our fans seem to have enough arrogance to be Man United fans?

It's not arrogance, more frustration and envy.

The problem with a lot of our fans is that our expectations are not high enough. People who 'settle' for mid-table in the 3rd division should have a serious word with themselves.

We are where we are because that's where we deserve to be. But for our club to be entering its 5th consecutive season in the 3rd division is hard to take. Good luck to those clubs that punch above their weight, apart from Leicester obviously.

Nick

Administrator
It's not arrogance, more frustration and envy.

The problem with a lot of our fans is that our expectations are not high enough. People who 'settle' for mid-table in the 3rd division should have a serious word with themselves.

We are where we are because that's where we deserve to be. But for our club to be entering its 5th consecutive season in the 3rd division is hard to take. Good luck to those clubs that punch above their weight, apart from Leicester obviously.

People don't settle, they are just more realistic aren't they?

theferret

Not really. People saying things like "if you'd offered me ninth before the season, I'd have taken it". That shows a startling lack of ambition. It's the third division, it's shit, and just because you have a poor season doesn't mean things can't turn around massively the following year because it's a league full of mediocre teams. Just look at the clubs that have finished above us. We do really have low expectations. Perhaps the reason we'd not had a top 6 finish in 3000 years is because nobody ever expects one.

Nick

Administrator
Not really. People saying things like "if you'd offered me ninth before the season, I'd have taken it". That shows a startling lack of ambition. It's the third division, it's shit, and just because you have a poor season doesn't mean things can't turn around massively the following year because it's a league full of mediocre teams. Just look at the clubs that have finished above us. We do really have low expectations. Perhaps the reason we'd not had a top 6 finish in 3000 years is because nobody ever expects one.

I hope every year we will win the league, I hope we win every game.

If we got every person in Coventry with the mentality we were going to win the league and the whole city got behind the team then maybe it would make a difference.

Ever since I can remember, even as a kid it's always got jokes when saying you are a city fan. ( from other people from Coventry). The only time there seems to be people getting behind the club (not owners) is when there is a sniff of success. Maybe if during the bad times everybody got down there and got behind the club it might make a difference.

Astute

Being realistic about the size of our city and the size of some of the towns that have a football club in higher divisions than us?

CJ_covblaze

Went there a few weeks ago when they played Wycombe. As NW said Coleman has worked wonders. Tiny ground that's falling to bits. Stand opposite the benches is like a rickety old asbestos bus shelter. Away end can hold around 1800 which is a third of the overall capacity. They had a "brand new ticket office" that was just a classroom table in the corner of a small shed which also happened to be the gym and pre match away team briefing area. The bar in the away end was also small wooden shed with a fridge in it. The night before we were at the Calderon watching Atletico play PSV in the Champions League. Bit of a step down that was!

Last edited:

theferret

If we got every person in Coventry with the mentality we were going to win the league and the whole city got behind the team then maybe it would make a difference.

There isn't a single town or city where that happens.

Rodders1

We spent longer in the Prem than a lot of Prem / Championship teams. We don't have any god given right to it though. I wish we did.

I think that is an issue with some fans expectations.
I'm not saying we have a God given right to be in the prem. My point is that we could be in the same division as ACCRINGTON STANLEY.

If we were in the championship and they rocked up I'd be saying they've done bloody well. In actual fact we've done bloody awfully.

Nick

Administrator
I'm not saying we have a God given right to be in the prem. My point is that we could be in the same division as ACCRINGTON STANLEY.

If we were in the championship and they rocked up I'd be saying they've done bloody well. In actual fact we've done bloody awfully.

But why? Haven't they been in league 2 for 10 or so years?

Other teams have come up from the ranks and are more surprising.

Rodders1

But why? Haven't they been in league 2 for 10 or so years?

Other teams have come up from the ranks and are more surprising.

I'll stop trying to explain my OP. For me it so symbolic of our predicament - we now compete with the likes of Crawley, fleetwood, Accrington. Maybe I've just arrived very late to this realisation compared to others - we're a true car crash of a club.

Grendel

I'll stop trying to explain my OP. For me it so symbolic of our predicament - we now compete with the likes of Crawley, fleetwood, Accrington. Maybe I've just arrived very late to this realisation compared to others - we're a true car crash of a club.

You do realise there are many other clubs who are in this league and the one lower that have previously been regulars in the top league?

Nick

Administrator

I'd say Stockport, Blackpool, Pompey were proper car crashes.

We are far from the best position ever, but surely the moment we were relegated to League 1 was when it was real we were playing that sort of team? I personally thought we would hammer every team every week. I soon learnt that it was wrong to expect.

Rodders1

You do realise there are many other clubs who are in this league and the one lower that have previously been regulars in the top league?

Like I said - I'm late to this group. I hadn't appreciated our heady days in the top two divisions. I'll now try and surpress my disgust that our 'level' is a mid table 3rd div team.

Users who are viewing this thread