32,000 sold already (1 Viewer)

Grendel

@Grendel pretty much spot on.
Appleton talks a lot about "DNA" , he wants players that want to play for us even if its only a stepping stone for their career. If players aren`t up to the mark in matches, training and so on they are soon on the way out .... we had a lad called Dan Crowley in from Arsenal for a while, had an excessive attitude that didn`t fit in with the squad/team ethic.... he went back.
Appleton is a very good manager of ego`s (most pro footballers have them!) & players and brings out the best in a lot of them but it seems there are some even he can`t work with.

Some of the experts on here thought it was another sign of our decline that we hadn't attracted Crowley instead of Oxford. An example of lack of ambition,

In the end recruiting Mowbray was a collosal mistake. He'd wander into Aldi and complain he wanted to buy products from waitrose in there and genuinely would not understand why he couldn't.

Nick

Administrator
Some of the experts on here thought it was another sign of our decline that we hadn't attracted Crowley instead of Oxford. An example of lack of ambition,

In the end recruiting Mowbray was a collosal mistake. He'd wander into Aldi and complain he wanted to buy products from waitrose in there and genuinely would not understand why he couldn't.

Look at how yellows explained how the club survived by selling players. Why isn't he going mad about the owner pocketing all the money and being outraged?

It's all down to do with our fans thinking we should be on transfer deadline day with massive signings.

Mowbray was awful at recruitment but the general consensus is that "his hands were tied" and that "no manager could get a decent team" etc etc. People don't seem to understand we aren't in the championship or premier league any more.

Liquid Gold

Look at how yellows explained how the club survived by selling players. Why isn't he going mad about the owner pocketing all the money and being outraged?

It's all down to do with our fans thinking we should be on transfer deadline day with massive signings.

Mowbray was awful at recruitment but the general consensus is that "his hands were tied" and that "no manager could get a decent team" etc etc. People don't seem to understand we aren't in the championship or premier league any more.

While I agree with both of you can we leave this till Monday.
We're the sky blue army for 1 weekend, we can go back to the sky blue divided factions squabbling next week.

Monners

The irony of derailing a thread that started as a wind up anyway is not lost on some of us.

But yeah, carry on normal service after Sunday - it's been a nice break for the last couple of days

Last edited:

letsallsingtogether

Maybe he is Oxfords Nick;)
And you are right we all think we are still in the prem, stop treating every one as stupid as you.

Nick

Administrator
Maybe he is Oxfords Nick;)
And you are right we all think we are still in the prem, stop treating every one as stupid as you.

Maybe if people stopped being so stupid it wouldn't get pointed out?

He does come across as a level headed person with a bit of sense, shame most of our fans are at the level of the guy rapping in his bedroom with a Liverpool flag ;)

Nick

Administrator
While I agree with both of you can we leave this till Monday.
We're the sky blue army for 1 weekend, we can go back to the sky blue divided factions squabbling next week.

Piss off! I agree though, don't get me wrong everything is CCFC all weekend! Same as every game as soon as it's gameday it all changes!

Essexyellows

Obsessive Dot Counter
Maybe its because most of us who have followed any club for a long time have learnt that, short of winning the Euro-millions, we will just buy our season tickets for our club .........and after that it really is "hope for the best, fear the worst .......and be happy if its somewhere in the middle". So this season is looking like that, not far off the top end of League 1, having a day out at Wembley (win or lose!) .....and still having a sniff something massive might happen.
As they say worry about the things that matter that you can change not what you can`t.......... life gets a lot more relaxed when you do that.

Our forum also reflects this one.... from the frothing, rabid loonies who think any owner should just empty their bank account for success through to "jilted bidders" who couldn`t come up with the money..... and a fair few sensible folk who just like a decent day out at the football.

PS: Weather looks lovely..... bring suncream!! :happy:

Irish Sky Blue

Maybe he isn't outraged because they have an academy beyond June and somewhere to play past the end of next season. Maybe the Oxford training ground hasn't been included in a local council's housing plan. I don't remember Oxford being moved 35 miles up the road in order to distress the stadium owner who then decides to sell the stadium to a rugby team because the owners say they are never coming back. Maybe Oxford fans haven't been repeatedly lied to, misinformed, ignored and then blamed for the club's problems. I also think Oxford, football wise, have been heading in the right direction over the past few years where as we have been travelling the other way. Coventry fans, so fickle, complain about anything and don't know they're born.

Nick

Administrator
Maybe he isn't outraged because they have an academy beyond June and somewhere to play past the end of next season. Maybe the Oxford training ground hasn't been included in a local council's housing plan. I don't remember Oxford being moved 35 miles up the road in order to distress the stadium owner who then decides to sell the stadium to a rugby team because the owners say they are never coming back. Maybe Oxford fans haven't been repeatedly lied to, misinformed, ignored and then blamed for the club's problems. I also think Oxford, football wise, have been heading in the right direction over the past few years where as we have been travelling the other way. Coventry fans, so fickle, complain about anything and don't know they're born.

So people only get outraged about player sales because of academy etc?

As he has said, they have the same within their fan base.

Grendel

Yeah they've had Robert Maxwell as an owner so they've been lied to and the council never wanted to sell to the football club

They just have realistic expectations

Irish Sky Blue

Or I'm just stating facts. See trust meeting for evidence.

I've gone to most of the Trust open meetings over the past two years. Most of the discussions have been reasonable. The people who attend are mostly over 40, seem to be typical ordinary City fans who have supported our club over a long period of time and have the genuine best interests of CCFC at heart. The "shouty guys" at the Fisher meeting, and there weren't many of them, I have never seen before.
Your comment was that most of our fans are at the level of the Oxford rapper. That is a much wider spread of our fans than just the Trust. You know most of the 9k regulars to make that comment? I wonder if your view would include the elderly lady fan I pass as I climb the stairs to block twenty who holds up a white Sisu Out card as the players come out at every home game? How about the elderly chap in the wheelchair who would have remembered Clarrie Bourton as a player who was on the march before the Rochdale game. Is he on that same level? I would tend to think that most of the fans you hold in contempt are of the Sisu Out persuasion.
You will say that you are as anti Sisu as the next man and woman. Your comments, such as those above, really cast doubt on that however.

Essexyellows

Obsessive Dot Counter
Sadly its exactly the cycle we went through when we were dropping like a stone.
Bad times make people look for the bad in each other.
There is one consistent in a football club.... us mugs that pay our hard earned cash out week in week out..... those folk you see at every game are no different to each other, we all want to be going in the right direction...trouble with league tables is that someones at the top and someones at the bottom.

Even this season things haven`t been totally rosy....there have been some major fudge ups .... employing stewards from pig-hill, "falling out" with our Ultras group (I know its a bit naff but its what teenagers do at football these days!).... and communications with the fans have gone to pot since Sarah Gooding (Comms officer) was poached/head hunted by West Ham. Also been some background "cost reductions" and our MD resigning (Greg Box Turnbull.....the dodgy Mirror journo)....... but on the pitch has pretty much smoothed most of that over.

Liquid Gold

Sadly its exactly the cycle we went through when we were dropping like a stone.
Bad times make people look for the bad in each other.
There is one consistent in a football club.... us mugs that pay our hard earned cash out week in week out..... those folk you see at every game are no different to each other, we all want to be going in the right direction...trouble with league tables is that someones at the top and someones at the bottom.

Even this season things haven`t been totally rosy....there have been some major fudge ups .... employing stewards from pig-hill, "falling out" with our Ultras group (I know its a bit naff but its what teenagers do at football these days!).... and communications with the fans have gone to pot since Sarah Gooding (Comms officer) was poached/head hunted by West Ham. Also been some background "cost reductions" and our MD resigning (Greg Box Turnbull.....the dodgy Mirror journo)....... but on the pitch has pretty much smoothed most of that over.
Our problem is that less and less people are willing to part with their hard earned. This means we drop faster and some people seem to take satisfaction from the fact.

Cavan O'Doherty

Our problem is that less and less people are willing to part with their hard earned. This means we drop faster and some people seem to take satisfaction from the fact.
And why should we spend it if we get this every season. It's not compulsory to buy a season ticket every year. I'm not spending money on a shit product!

coop

You wouldn't pay every week to go and watch a shit film so why when the entertainment is poor would you want a season ticket although I have one but unlikely not renewing next season.

Liquid Gold

And why should we spend it if we get this every season. It's not compulsory to buy a season ticket every year. I'm not spending money on a shit product!
You wouldn't pay every week to go and watch a shit film so why when the entertainment is poor would you want a season ticket although I have one but unlikely not renewing next season.
You're lowering yourself to customers like Fisher wants. Coventry City is more than the team, its the fans, the spirit. Going with your mates or generations of your family. The feeling when you score a goal and win a game. I love Coventry City, city 'till I die. I don't care if we are in the national league north I will always be with this club. SISU will be gone one day and I think it says a lot about someone when they are willing to stick with it even when the team is as shit as ours.

coop

Since I've been a cov fan I've seen nothing but shit and relegation I've always bought a season ticket for years but it is getting harder as the people who you used to go with decide to no longer go and you get pissed off after every game .

Cavan O'Doherty

You're lowering yourself to customers like Fisher wants. Coventry City is more than the team, its the fans, the spirit. Going with your mates or generations of your family. The feeling when you score a goal and win a game. I love Coventry City, city 'till I die. I don't care if we are in the national league north I will always be with this club. SISU will be gone one day and I think it says a lot about someone when they are willing to stick with it even when the team is as shit as ours.
I think it makes you a bit of a mug to be honest but each to their own

Brylowes

At any football club you have to have hope, that's the problem here 'people are giving up hope,
We have owners who only take us backwards. On top of this they're adamant they won't give
Up and fuck off, they've ring fenced the club with debt that they have amassed to ward away
Any interested parties.
I just can't decide whether to blame the council or the telegraph.
I know you can't blame SISU, because if you do then people point out you're only blaming them
Because we aren't in the premier league, and we don't spend millions every transfer window.

So it can't be them.

Nick

Administrator
At any football club you have to have hope, that's the problem here 'people are giving up hope,
We have owners who only take us backwards. On top of this they're adamant they won't give
Up and fuck off, they've ring fenced the club with debt that they have amassed to ward away
Any interested parties.
I just can't decide whether to blame the council or the telegraph.
I know you can't blame SISU, because if you do then people point out you're only blaming them
Because we aren't in the premier league, and we don't spend millions every transfer window.

So it can't be them.
Are you just fishing for likes there or trying to compete for most made up shite with italia?

Users who are viewing this thread