25 more points needed to stay up, can we do it? (1 Viewer)

Otis

Maybe beacuse we have won 4 out of the LAST 5 at home. So looking at the remaining 6 games at the Ricoh, 5 are winnable.
Cant see how that is fantasy

Win 5 games at home? That's not fantasy of course. But 5 home wins will not keep us up. It might be 50 points (though I doubt it), it might be 44-45 points (possibly), but it will not be 41 points. History has shown this. Think the very least it will be will be 42 points.

That means we would need those 5 wins you talk of and another 3 draws. Just don't see how that is at all feasible.

smileycov

Facebook User
We messed up a big, big opportunity last weekend, there's no escaping from that. I've said quite a lot of times that away form is what will get us relegated, and that continuing with our current away set-up, we could well match Otis' prediction of no more away points, let alone wins. Imagine that-3/69 points on the road? We've seen what happens when the team show urgency and are willing to take a bit more of a risk in their football-it puts teams on the back foot; but we wait until the game's up to start doing it. What's for sure though, is that we will not win away for all eternity with our current style.

Yep, gotta say it is looking that way isn't it. The only thing i can hold onto is our Home form and the fact those around us are just as bad!! Will keep believing until mathematically we are down...................no harm in that surely?

smileycov

Facebook User
Win 5 games at home? That's not fantasy of course. But 5 home wins will not keep us up. It might be 50 points (though I doubt it), it might be 44-45 points (possibly), but it will not be 41 points. History has shown this. Think the very least it will be will be 42 points.

That means we would need those 5 wins you talk of and another 3 draws. Just don't see how that is at all feasible.

I know, but i just can not give up hope until it is confirmed. You must admit the 3 directly around us are just as bad so they have to produce 5/6 wins to finish above us aswell....not sue they can do that either. That is why i think this year the points tally required will be the lowest ever.

Otis

I think Smiley, our only hope is that the teams around continue to stay on bad runs.

skybluelee

I can't be arsed to do the research but I would be amazed if at this stage in previous seasons there have been 4 teams averaging significantly less than a point per game.

On that basis I think 46 points will be enough. Will we do it? Will we bollox. I could see us scraping our way to 42-43 but with the best will in the world that surely won't be enough.

Otis

I think we will end up on about 38 points. 40 at a push.

If that keeps us up I'll chop my testicles off and wear them as earrings around the Lower Precinct.

rob9872

I can't be arsed to do the research but I would be amazed if at this stage in previous seasons there have been 4 teams averaging significantly less than a point per game.

On that basis I think 46 points will be enough. Will we do it? Will we bollox. I could see us scraping our way to 42-43 but with the best will in the world that surely won't be enough.

I think it depends who we get those points against. If it's the teams around us then not only do we win, but we stop them getting any either. I still think Brstol and Millwall are well in this and one of those will fall into the bottom 3 at some stage.

ICHAN

Think we will be very lucky to get anywhere near 40 points myself, just can not see this team having the fight in them, I think the lossing mentality is to far ingrained now, certainly away from home can not see any points being gained there and our home form is not much to write home about.
Ok we have done a bit better of late, but a loss saturday and all that will change, just think we have to accept the inevitable unfortunatly, sad to say but I just cannot see anything changing now and reality has hit home.:(

Brighton Sky Blue

Yep, gotta say it is looking that way isn't it. The only thing i can hold onto is our Home form and the fact those around us are just as bad!! Will keep believing until mathematically we are down...................no harm in that surely?

There's a small nutter in me yet that's convinced me to go to Leicester next week, as well as Watford, Brizzle, and Southampton-the football's almost become an irrelevance at this stage; more about the away day experience.

Otis

Think our best chance of a win on the road may well come at Watford, who will probably have nothing to play for. I think Bristol away is going to be very, very tough.

smileycov

Facebook User
Well you will certainly enjoy the night out in Brizzle it is cracking. Watford always good days. Just cant see the footie improving and i am a believer LOL

smileycov

Facebook User
I think it depends who we get those points against. If it's the teams around us then not only do we win, but we stop them getting any either. I still think Brstol and Millwall are well in this and one of those will fall into the bottom 3 at some stage.

may well come down to Millwall and Donny at home in succesion then?.......or we could have gone before that of course!

Astute

There are fans from 4 teams where the majority know their team is down and a few more that know they are in big trouble. I wonder if some of them are wrong.

Otis

Have they been in the bottom three since October and 7 points adrift since Christmas?

Otis

We are now, yes. From Christmas until last week though we were 7 or 8 points adrift. Last week brought Portsmouth into the equation.

Otis

Yep, it did give us a glimmer of hope.

I am still totally pee'd off about Forest though. That was our big chance.

smileycov

Facebook User
I know, they were awfull aswell to be fair. We just didn't look up to it, couldnt pass certainly couldn't cross - fans seemed deflated!! Part of me takes heart in the fact i can't see forest picking up many points either, i mean a half decent side would have buried em. So that is Ipswich at home and Forest away we have blown.....best we sort that out most of our remaining home games are against strugglers (be happy with that run in if we were heading for play offs!!) lol

dongonzalos

How do you or anyone know we need to win 7 games at least to stay up? we are 6 points off safety, so therefore if we win 2 and draw 1 and everyone else loses we stay up! Not saying we will, however you can not say for certain we are doomed or we can not do it can you? We have won 4 out of the last 5 at home, so there's a good start. The teams around us are just as shit!! Forest we very poor on saturday, yes they beat us but i doubt they will pick up many more wins than us. We are a different team at home. I predict we get at least 6 wins at home Blues is the dodgy one! and we somehow scrape at least a draw away (though god only knows where!) we just have to see weekly how it is panning out

Thats why I said staying up with one of the lowest totals. I assume you are basing your 50 points on previous relegation totals. I think we will pick up 17 points and stay up by the skin of out teeth and it will be one of the lowest total points that a team have stayed up with 42 points and staying up by goal difference. Over Bristol City, Millwall or Forest

SkyBlue_Bear83

CCFC, if we get 43-45 points 9/10 of the past seasons we will be RELEGATED! Leauge 1.

Is the penny not dropping here?
I understand that, I am just stating if we manage to get to 43-45 points i.e 18-20 points from the last 14 games then we will have had a good end to the season in terms of results/form

Didn't say that would be enough to stay up though, no way we will reach 50 points. :laugh:

oakey

Nowhere near 50 points needed unless 3 of our rivals have a massive upturn in form. All 5 rival teams are gaining less than 1 point per game currently. So safety will probably be 42-45 points range.
So we need 17-20 points to survive IF, IF we don't lose more than one of the games against our rivals.

Consequently, 6 wins, 4 draws, 4 defeats will suffice = 47 points SAFE. Could be fewer if we win the rival games.
All still to play for.
PUSB

Macca

If this team does stay up from where we are now then there will have to be a lot of questions about what the hell was going on up until xmas

Otis

Indeed.

For us to have been in the bottom 3 in October and then win 6 matches at the death to survive must ask some probing questions for sure.

It might also point to the fact that since changing the diamond formation results improved, which then would beg the question why did Thorn so vehemently defend the tactic and swear that he wasn't going to change it.

Last edited:

@richh87

The bottom four are all much the same. Don't forget they all need to pick up if they are going to stay up. Perhaps none of them will pick up and someone may stay up with only 40 points!

I'm sure many on this board remember days of old when we were down and out in the old 1st division. So nothing is impossible. Thorn must stay now as its far too late to be changing the captain of the ship. A couple of loans could make all the difference. I know it only reduces the losses (for next year) but SISU should make this investment right now as I believe the revenue from TV is only 1/3rd of what it is in the championship.

In short the current team will not keep us up but a good couple of loans might just give us a chance.

Stopper

SISU won't do that though. They don't seem to care. A couple more loans - with Thorn's excellent eye for talent could make all the difference.

Grendel

SISU won't do that though. They don't seem to care. A couple more loans - with Thorn's excellent eye for talent could make all the difference.

You have even managed to get your only agenda (Thorn) into this thread!

Sick Boy

You have even managed to get your only agenda (Thorn) into this thread!

Even if Thorn had money to burn and took us to the bottom of League.2, they would still trot out their excuses and defend him.

I have never known anything like it. It seems 10 years in this division has finally sent people insane.

dongonzalos

Even if Thorn had money to burn and took us to the bottom of League.2, they would still trot out their excuses and defend him.

I have never known anything like it. It seems 10 years in this division has finally sent people insane.

What a stupid comment the equivalent being You would still attack Thorn even if in the current situation with no money and all his best players getting sold he took us to the top of the premier league. Numpty

Sick Boy

What a stupid comment the equivalent being You would still attack Thorn even if in the current situation with no money and all his best players getting sold he took us to the top of the premier league. Numpty

A ludicrous comment.

If Thorn did that then then just like you, I would 'forget Thorn is human' and he would be 'shit-hot'.

Grendel

A ludicrous comment.

If Thorn did that then then just like you, I would 'forget Thorn is human' and he would be 'shit-hot'.

If I thought Thorn had done that I would be checking my cup of tea for some mushroom stalks.

Users who are viewing this thread