21/22 Summer transfer mega-thread (12 Viewers)

Frostie

Sounds like Bailey Peacock-Farrell is joining Birmingham on loan - interesting one.
Wonder where that leaves Sarkic too.

Frostie

Not sure why people hate on Hyam, I think he's a good CB

I don't think anybody hates on him, his career with us has been exceptional but he had a rough season & has clear deficiencies in his game which have been exposed at this level, notably a frightening lack of pace. Not to say he can't step up again, playing on the left side definitely doesn't help, but he was markedly improved during our good run towards the end of the season.

Great_Expectations

Don’t think we’ve gone significantly backwards defence wise.

We’ve lost a stand out in Ostigard, but I have full faith he’ll be replaced by a more then adequate CB, if not the man himself. At which point we have the same CB’s as last year, all of whom have a years more experience and all of whom were part of the squad that kept us up. Plus you can’t really count Rose as he was injured for the majority of the season and clearly not ready when he came back in. We also have Drysdale who received positive reviews from his time with Cambridge.

LWB is the obvious issue, but again I’m sure they’re on it. McCallum was by no means the finished article and I’d back us to find someone at the same standard as a minimum.

Not too bothered about another CM if budget is tight. Sheaf, Hamer, Eccles are all good enough, just inexperienced. Kelly will manage half a season I’m sure. An experienced hand would be ideal to fill the Kelly role for his inevitable injury though.

Time will tell on the keeper. If we do get another in, Wilson has basically signed a new contract to agree he’s happy to be third choice at a mid table Championship side (not quite the same as the likes of Camp, Carson, Wright etc doing it at the big clubs)!

Platnauer

Lewis Gibson (Everton U23's) would have been coached by Lawrence. Played a bit on loan with Reading last year.
Left footed defender, probably not a wing back but could slot into LCB of our 3. Wouldn't be surprised if he is on our loan radar. No intel, just speculation :)

NorthernWisdom

I don't think anybody hates on him, his career with us has been exceptional but he had a rough season & has clear deficiencies in his game which have been exposed at this level, notably a frightening lack of pace. Not to say he can't step up again, playing on the left side definitely doesn't help, but he was markedly improved during our good run towards the end of the season.
Yeah it's worth noting that most of our squad had zero experience at this level before last season. They now have a season, so will be better prepared with what to expect. The bonus of Hyam's lack of speed is it means he won't necessarily decline when he gets older, but can only improve if he's able to learn, and become wiser.

I actually have high hopes he'll have a decent season!

Frostie

Haven't they also been heavily linked with Bettinelli following his release from Fulham?

They were linked yeah but sounds like he might be off to Chelsea now as 3rd choice.
Birmingham desperate for a keeper as they don't know how long Etheridge will be out for as he recovers from Covid.

lordy_87

Does anyone know of any realistic left backs out there? It's all very quiet and myself I don't really know a great deal about any players that we may be looking at.

shmmeee

Telegraph saying they reckon Østigård is a non starter. Got to say I agree with their reasoning :(

mark82

Telegraph saying they reckon Østigård is a non starter. Got to say I agree with their reasoning :(

What's there reasoning? I'd say it's pretty unlikely personally, the guy is ambitious and if he's going out on loan surely did enough to get offers slightly higher up than us.

mark82

Ian Maatsen from Chelsea, maybe. Probably the best option from Prem U23 squads.

Played at Charlton last year. Looks like when he was fit (only missed a handful of games) he played most minutes. Must've been doing something right. Imagine Chelsea would be looking at a lower end Championship club for his next step.

Users who are viewing this thread