21/22 Summer transfer mega-thread (4 Viewers)

SleepyGinger

I’d imagine Barry Douglas is available, believe he’s still contracted to Leeds.

Edit- just checked he’s playing in Poland now

SBT

City, Coventry (18/19-19/20) 'Improvement in points moving from Lee Burge to Marko Marosi', EFL League 1 & EFL Championship

Ehhh I don't buy it myself. Many more players who were much more influential that year than Marosi, good as he was.

Don't get me wrong, if we really think there's one player out there who can get us nearly 20% of our total points from last year on his own, we should be spending our entire transfer budget on him, and staying up easily. I just feel like people have a tendency to overstate how much keepers contribute, because their mistakes are so often high-profile.

Saddlebrains

Think were missing a trick tbh

Yes it may be a large outlay now, 1.5 million plus and add ons etc

But i really feel Ostigard is someone we can develop even further and within 2 seasons sell for pushing 10 Mill.

I wish our owners took a gamble every once in a while. I get that were run within our means and thats fine. But times like this i feel that putting in that extra money would come back to them 7 fold

SlowerThanPlatt

But i really feel Ostigard is someone we can develop even further and within 2 seasons sell for pushing 10 Mill.

I wish our owners took a gamble every once in a while. I get that were run within our means and thats fine. But times like this i feel that putting in that extra money would come back to them 7 fold

Have you considered the player may have no interest in joining us?

skybluegod

Ehhh I don't buy it myself. Many more players who were much more influential that year than Marosi, good as he was.

Don't get me wrong, if we really think there's one player out there who can get us nearly 20% of our total points from last year on his own, we should be spending our entire transfer budget on him, and staying up easily. I just feel like people have a tendency to overstate how much keepers contribute, because their mistakes are so often high-profile.

I agree to be honest.

A really high end, top quality keeper probably does earn you 10 points in a season. Whether that is Walton is another thing.

Statistically on average a keeper will concede over 1 goal per game. I think the cost-benefit analysis doesn't really stack up for us as a club.

Robins has done the right thing in prioritising the sharp end of the pitch. And clearly there are way more gaping holes than keeper.

mr_monkey

We tried that before and ended up in league 2

Samo

I really don't think we are going to be getting another keeper.

CDK

Keeper wise I hope that Moore gets to a reasonable standard by the start of the season as thought he looked very below standard in Spain.As for another keeper signed don't think it will happen owing to budget ,ostigard think we will be looking elsewhere and left side of the team is as bigger problem as another CB.

Liquid Gold

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree. We just value keepers differently.

Really when I'm getting at though I guess is that players that are going to be a mainstay of our team for 5+ years or generate a significant resale value are those that we should be targeting. 25 years old and already Championship quality Walton is that player 31 year old questionable Moore isn't. Same with 31 year old Waghorn.

This type of recruitment just gives you more work to do a year or two (or three) down the line without putting you in a better financial position. Last year we did really well by bringing in Sheaf, Hamer and Walker, who all fit that model, then filling the squad with loans in CB, LWB & CM. Gyokeres and maybe Bright could be examples of us doing it right this year.

I think the philosophy at this level should be 2/3 top quality players each year in the younger age bracket so they give you that longevity/profit even if it means Shipley or Allen or whoever plays more than you'd like them to. With the loans you keep your head above water and then in 3/4 years you have a squad that can challenge at the right end of the division.

It just feels like we're bringing in players who will keep us lower mid-table Championship, which is obviously better than we've had for many years, but nothing to say that we might eventually turn ourselves into contenders.

Frostie

We've paid fees for 2 new players already this season. Not many Championship teams can say the same.

NorthernWisdom

This type of recruitment just gives you more work to do a year or two (or three) down the line without putting you in a better financial position.
Not always. If Moore can hold the place for a couple of seasons, let Bilson and Tyler(?) mature to a level where they can be first team, he's done his job. Every side needs *some* experience, too. If Waghorn can help Walker along to improve further, we gain a 15 goal a season striker.

Now, I'm not even saying these players are the right ones (Moore seems an unusual signing to say the least, but you never know!) but that's the principle. Can't have a totally young, naive team.

Liquid Gold

Not always. If Moore can hold the place for a couple of seasons, let Bilson and Tyler(?) mature to a level where they can be first team, he's done his job. Every side needs *some* experience, too. If Waghorn can help Walker along to improve further, we gain a 15 goal a season striker.

Now, I'm not even saying these players are the right ones (Moore seems an unusual signing to say the least, but you never know!) but that's the principle. Can't have a totally young, naive team.
I'm not against the experience at all. I'd just like to be properly excited by one of our signings this season.

NorthernWisdom

I'm not against the experience at all. I'd just like to be properly excited by one of our signings this season.
tbh, I wasn't expecting to be, given where we are. It's always going to be young potential, or journeyman - even allowing for level, McNulty and Kelly weren't overly exciting (McNulty mixed, Kelly at the wrong team), and I wasn't exactly moved by Vincenti. O'Hare's been the exception all through recent years in a way, as I really didn't expect us to get him.

long way home

2 loans , 1 perm is what is being touted and if that's the case some will be left surplus and should be moved on. We already know Hillsner, Mason and Jobello are 3 that already fall in that category. But decision on Pask, Drysdale, Allen and Shipley who could be looked at as fringe players will have to be made. If they are not contributing then constant improvement has to happen and sentiment is out the window. If these step up great, but In my opinion I can't see all 4 making a big enough impact to help us progress then moving them on like the other 3 is just a matter of time.

I don't think MR is happy with a relegation fight in championship and I would hedge a bet he has made that known to owners. He has got us this far and wants to go big, I don't think he will stand for it or be happy to stand still as he knows that's a backward step in the progression we have made under him.

Users who are viewing this thread