21/22 Summer transfer mega-thread (7 Viewers)

Liquid Gold

I alluded to the first friendly in an earlier post. Whilst I won’t wait for 4 weeks, I won’t be panicking until then. Eyebrow will be raised if we don’t have one in before the first friendly
We've always got them in as early as possible and tried to get the squad bedded in. It won't be a catastrophe if we're waiting until the first friendlies when we don't even play the first team anyway but it will still say to me that we're having difficulties as we're not following the model that's been successful thus far.

fernandopartridge

Exactly. I think fans have the right to air their frustrations but comparing it to the Mowbray catastrophe is both premature and massively far fetched as that just wouldn't happen again. Not now when we have a solid recruitment team in place.

The starting position is different in any case. Mowbray's 2015/16 team was decimated. We've got enough players already to put a realistic squad out should we play tomorrow. Mowbray didn't have anywhere near that.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

We've always got them in as early as possible and tried to get the squad bedded in. It won't be a catastrophe if we're waiting until the first friendlies when we don't even play the first team anyway but it will still say to me that we're having difficulties as we're not following the model that's been successful thus far.
Probably are having difficulties, I’d imagine the club look to improve every year so the standard of player we approach will be higher, unfortunately means we’ll miss out more often than not

shmmeee

I get that, but come on now.

I've been very pro sisu last few years. But this is a massive window for us. We need to establish in the championship and it seems to me we're dealing with fuck all again. I dont see the justification for that with another year of champo money and 10k season tickets

If we can’t compete this year we’ll never be able to.

PVA

Shame to miss out on James, he was class for us. Oh what am I talking about, he flattered to deceive.

Hopefully we can get Walsh, but wouldn't be surprised if we miss out on him - especially if Swansea are interested.

Liquid Gold

I'm now hoping that we were waiting for him to make his mind up and now that's done we're all in on our 2nd target and it'll be done soon.

Saddlebrains

We can't spend money we don't have.

Ok, to play devils advocate here, why don't we have any?

Granted COVID. That's a given. And every club is in the same boat.

And yes the lack of attendances will have caused a dent. but surely would have affected us the least in the league? We knew we wouldnt get more than say 6 or 7k a week at St Andrews. Whereas your Cardiffs, QPR's, Derbys etc are down to the tune of 18-20k a week?

But if you look at our income from being in this league, TV money alone is almost 10 times more. Solidarity payments etc, more, and the fact weve sold 10k season tickets, which btw we haven't actually ever done at the Ricoh before?

Theres been no new kit release or other merchandise or anything of note to carry on the snowball of good feeling that fans would have jumped on on the back of the rioch return either which would have put some extra funds into the club. really underwhelmed with less than 2 weeks until pre season

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

The starting position is different in any case. Mowbray's 2015/16 team was decimated. We've got enough players already to put a realistic squad out should we play tomorrow. Mowbray didn't have anywhere near that.
We could definitely start with Marosi/Wilson, Dabo, Rose, Hyam, McFadz Reid, Kelly/Sheaf, Hamer, O’Hare, Walker, Godden and have a solid start.

I expect a CB, LB, and a striker will come in to strengthen that and maybe a goalkeeper

KenilworthSkyBlue

Not really what I was touching on. It was more the recruitment aspect of it. Mowbray had no plan B as his knowledge of the marketplace was woefully poor, hence why we brought in the players that we did.

However, comparatively to where we are now, I feel much better knowing we have the structure and personnel in place to ensure that there's a backup plan if we happen to lose out on primary or even secondary targets. We just didn't have that with Mowbray.

Last edited:

cc84cov

I don’t see many clubs making that many signings yet it’s still early doors players mulling Over offers etc next 2 weeks I expect things to move,no doubt we have offers on tables for players currently also

Skybluefaz

Theres been no new kit release or other merchandise or anything of note to carry on the snowball of good feeling that fans would have jumped on on the back of the rioch return either which would have put some extra funds into the club.
Apart from the members shirt which is all about the ricoh return. We have also had the club updating us about the building of the new club shop, the refurb of the legends walls. The new supporters club.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Ok, to play devils advocate here, why don't we have any?

Granted COVID. That's a given. And every club is in the same boat.

And yes the lack of attendances will have caused a dent. but surely would have affected us the least in the league? We knew we wouldnt get more than say 6 or 7k a week at St Andrews. Whereas your Cardiffs, QPR's, Derbys etc are down to the tune of 18-20k a week?

But if you look at our income from being in this league, TV money alone is almost 10 times more. Solidarity payments etc, more, and the fact weve sold 10k season tickets, which btw we haven't actually ever done at the Ricoh before?

Theres been no new kit release or other merchandise or anything of note to carry on the snowball of good feeling that fans would have jumped on on the back of the rioch return either which would have put some extra funds into the club. really underwhelmed with less than 2 weeks until pre season

It's quite simple. We don't have owners who write blank cheques season after season with zero interest rates attached.

Saddlebrains

Apart from the members shirt which is all about the ricoh return. We have also had the club updating us about the building of the new club shop, the refurb of the legends walls. The new supporters club.

Members shirt is included in the season tickets. Same as last season and included in the price of a ticket so thats not relevant.

Compared to say the new shirt release, and if it was a corker and a good 5thousand brought it off the bat, thats another 150k we could have banked by now. Always feel we miss a trick not having it out for fathers day, most other clubs do

Users who are viewing this thread