21/22 Summer transfer mega-thread (12 Viewers)

Alkhen

No link or anything but could be worth a punt on Troy Parrott on loan from spurs.

Stalled at Millwall and Ipswich last season for sure but has been heavily touted as a star in the making for a while. Scored 2 tonight for Ireland. Would think he would come quite cheap and with a point to prove

Last edited:

Terry Gibson's perm

No link or anything but could be worth a punt on Tory Parrott on loan from spurs.

Stalled at Millwall and Ipswich last season for sure but has been heavily touted as a star in the making for a while. Scored 2 tonight for Ireland. Would think he would come quite cheap and with a point to prove

Or pockets full of cash and little interest.

procdoc

No link or anything but could be worth a punt on Tory Parrott on loan from spurs.

He has links to to the the criminal underworld in Ireland, we should give this one a wide birth.

Just a quick one on wages. I keep seeing he was on a certain amount at their previous club. Players in this league aren’t going to get anything close to what they were on in their previous contracts unless they are moving to a club in the premier league. No one will be offering Paterson 18K this time around for example

slowpoke

He has links to to the the criminal underworld in Ireland, we should give this one a wide birth.

Just a quick one on wages. I keep seeing he was on a certain amount at their previous club. Players in this league aren’t going to get anything close to what they were on in their previous contracts unless they are moving to a club in the premier league. No one will be offering Paterson 18K this time around for example
I think there will be a significant sea change with new contracts from now on certainly with the EFL clubs lot of the so called “top end” clubs in dire straights with their finances a lot worse than us I reckon.

Sky Blue Pete

I think there will be a significant sea change with new contracts from now on certainly with the EFL clubs lot of the so called “top end” clubs in dire straights with their finances a lot worse than us I reckon.
Dave Boddy thought there would be a slight reduction in wages but nothing massive. I suppose his is only just an opinion but it may be a more informed opinion than you and me

Last edited:

Deity

Dave Boddy thought there would be a slight reduction in wages but nothing massive. I suppose his is only just an opinion but it may be more informed by you and me
I think there will be a reduction for fringe players but for key players market forces will keep wages unsustainably high

Alkhen

Oh dodgy, I mean you can't choose your family and all that but I suppose having Irish mafia as family might explain the media hype in his early career. I mean as far as I can see his stats aren't that great

Terry_dactyl

Not at all bothered by the actions/lifestyles of some of his mates. Potentially a great signing for someone. Not everyone scores 2 against the mighty Andorra!
Surprised that he’s still only 19, feels like he’s been around a while.

Sky Blue Harry H

Talking about players who have some interesting associates, I looked up Dujon Sterling to see what he's up to. Now there is a talented lad, easily good enough to play at our level, who may not take much prising away from Chelsea. With all due respect, he's an obvious upgrade on Da Costa, it's just a shame that he plays in an area of the pitch that (assuming Dabo comes back properly recovered) that we are not looking at. Not sure about Sterling's attitude (disappeared after an undistinguished Wigan loan spell) but we all saw that there was a very good footballer there.

Deity

Not at all bothered by the actions/lifestyles of some of his mates. Potentially a great signing for someone. Not everyone scores 2 against the mighty Andorra!
You are joking right ?

better days

The problem is TD that some of these lads with gangster backgrounds bring those attitudes to their club and other young impressionable players at the club can get sucked into their lifestyle
That's one of the factors in Ravel Morrison's early career history but clubs would never be able to say so publicly
The Kinahans are said by the Irish government to be an organised crime group responsible for numerous murders but it hasn't stopped them taking control of the careers of a huge number of boxers
Who's to say they wouldn't do it with football

Deity

The problem is TD that some of these lads with gangster backgrounds bring those attitudes to their club and other young impressionable players at the club can get sucked into their lifestyle
That's one of the factors in Ravel Morrison's early career history but clubs would never be able to say so publicly
The Kinahans are said by the Irish government to be an organised crime group responsible for numerous murders but it hasn't stopped them taking control of the careers of a huge number of boxers
Exactly. I suggest you watch the BBC boxing expose if you are unsure ....

edgy

Surely you’d then question why Blackpool are letting him go.

No idea. Sounds like a manager decision. Seems a very popular player just missing that consistency. Very good blog on him here:

"Sullay had his doubters. Some people prefer to watch a sweaty run of the mill player shouting, pointing, getting booked for lunging into late tackles and displaying 'passion'... to a gifted footballer with genius in his boots, weaving magic.

Such is life. It would be boring if we all liked the same thing. I too am a big fan of anyone who makes the most of their abilities and whose attitude is a key attribute…

It has to be said though, that whilst

players of his ilk might frustrate sometime, it would a dull game if there were no Sullay Kaikais running down the wing, or even better, through the middle, or even better still, belting it so hard on the volley that the net literally looks like it's going to break. Attitude is great but if it's just lads kicking each other for 90 minutes and he who kicks hardest wins, you might as well watch rugby.

Yeah, he could run into a dead end and no, he wasn't the world's best tackler and I can't remember him heading it more than about 5 times in his Pool career but he was capable of electrifying brilliance.

Of course it sometimes didn't come off. But when it did, it was magical. Gliding with a low centre of gravity past 1,2,3 players as if they weren't there. Taking the ball and killing it stone dead, a touch to die for. Seeing the pass and hitting it first time. Arriving late and placing the shot into the exact place it needed to go.

Under Grayson, Sullay was more or less all the creativity. Roaming free and thrilling with his gifts, it's easy to forget that our decline broadly coincided with his injury woes.

Critchley seemed to see him as a project. A talent to be, if not tamed, but channelled. A place wide on the left was marked out for him and he never really seemed to quite suit it. Bez Lubala was bought and played there instead, but never took his chance. Sullay kept working his way back in, Critchley seemingly never quite convinced, but never able to overlook the obvious talent.

If one game sums him up, it's Burton Albion at home. Even I, an ardent believer that one person's "he goes missing" is another's "he gets double marked because of the rigid system we employed as Critch is fundamentally a bit suspicious of players whose skill comes from within and needs to let them loose a bit, as was proven when he did that..." couldn't really describe him as anything other than 'languid and fitful' in the first half, moping about like a Victorian lady in need of a good dose of smelling salts. All he needed was a lacy hanky to dap at his brow, so out of sorts did he look. Oh, but what a performance in the second half. Bit between his teeth, picking the ball on the half turn, racing forward, playing people in, trying the shot, dropping the shoulder, going one way then the other, defenders running backwards, afraid to even look at him. Pure magic.

A video of his best bits is quite sensational. His critics would say that's the problem. He's a highlights reel player. I'd say he's more than that. His work deep is underrated, his ability to pick a pass is it at times outrageous. Again, it's easy to forget how lumpen we were at the outset and how weeks went by where it appeared only Sullay seemed willing to put the ball into the box, instead of sideways. For all the criticism of his wider play, he proved to be adept at holding a shape, shadowing, tracking back, even drawing public praise from the impish one himself for his defensive work.

His final performance in tangerine was probably one of his best. Released into the no10 role, he played an absolute blinder for 60 odd minutes at the Stadium of Light. The unforgettable goal was just one of many pieces of magic and that he went down injured just as it seemed he might have made himself indispensable in his preferred position seemed somehow tragically apt.

I'm left with a feeling that whilst Critchley has done many, many, many things right, he never quite got to grips with Sullay. He could never bring himself to unleash him, preferring players like Embleton and Anderson when looking for the no10 role. Both have their merits and Anderson in particular is a joy to watch but there's a nagging sense that heresy as it may be to question the author of so many a masterclass, that we might have missed a trick…

For a player played in an unfamiliar role he wasn't best suited to, who seemingly played most of the year not 100% fit, to end the season behind only Jerry Yates for direct involvement in goals and by some distance the leading assist maker speaks to his ability to find the right decision at the right moment.

If someone can find the right blend around him and free him to just play, he'll be a promotion winner on his own. He's that good. The irony is, as much as Larry did a lot wrong (or certainly a lot less right than Critch) I think Larry understood him pretty well. He's better than anyone else. Just let him do what he wants.

Critch has, despite my obvious sense that he's not always been used to his fullest, likely improved him further and maybe his experience this year of playing a position and playing a team role will make him appreciate future freedoms still further and maybe refine his game to be more selective about when to keep it simple and when to turn it on.

I'm weirdly sad it won't be with us. He never did quite put it all together week on week in the way we hoped, but I'm really surprised that a player with such quick feet, instinctive brilliance, attacking intent and uncanny vision doesn't have a place next year. Maybe fitness has taken a toll, maybe Critch just doesn't see the risk/reward being worth it. I don't know. I can see why he like Embleton, who gives you half of Sullay and half of Matty Virtue. I just like the complete 100% wildcard type player that Sullay is.

What I do know is, I'll miss the quiet lad with the ability to electrify. Other players may snarl and strut, push, snap, spit and elbow their way round the pitch. I once watched a replay of a penalty shout we had and saw how tentative his appeal was as everyone else screamed in rage. He seemed embarrassed. He seems like one of the most polite players I've ever seen. He seems positively shy. Maybe if he was more arrogant. Maybe if he was a bit more of a knobhead, had a bit more swagger... But my god, when he gets the ball, he comes alive. When he gets the ball, my heart went a little faster. Who the hell knew what could happen next? He just looked so natural, so easy. At his best, he could be on a different plane. At times, he just looked lost. Where others read diffidence or a surliness, I always felt he was questioning himself

I think he's a player who has almost been cursed by his ability. Who, if he hasn't danced around 4 and hit a reverse back heel into the top corner whilst looking the other way, people feel is 'not at his best' because, quite frankly, his best is way beyond that of most of the rest of the players we've had for years. Who perhaps himself sometimes doubted as much as anyone else which meant when it clicked, there was a certain thrill and rawness to it.

I think I've made it clear over the time he's been here, that I rate him. I'll make it clear once more.... I bloody loved him. An absolute pleasure to watch, one of my favourite players in a long time.

Cheers Sullay."

procdoc

Yeah all this morals stuff is crap. If they’re good players I’d have them. Too many people on high horses
There’s much more to it than ability. A bad apple in the squad could completely bring down morale and as Better Days said can have a negative effect on the youngsters coming through. It’s not like he’s a world beater anyway, was shite for Millwall

procdoc

Talking about players who have some interesting associates, I looked up Dujon Sterling to see what he's up to. Now there is a talented lad, easily good enough to play at our level, who may not take much prising away from Chelsea. With all due respect, he's an obvious upgrade on Da Costa, it's just a shame that he plays in an area of the pitch that (assuming Dabo comes back properly recovered) that we are not looking at. Not sure about Sterling's attitude (disappeared after an undistinguished Wigan loan spell) but we all saw that there was a very good footballer there.
Sterling played as a right sided centre half in the Chelsea U23s this season

Terry_dactyl

Fair enough...however, I think it’s a slippery slope if we start judging players/people for the actions of others or the way they’ve been brought up. Players/people may be associated or experienced all sorts of things that would impact on their behaviours and attitudes, which they then bring into the workplace. I guess it’s about being a professional.
I would say theres a responsibility on employers to support workers and if they can’t be helped, thats why we have policies and procedures...break those and there are consequences. In football it seems very easy just to get rid of people if they start causing trouble...or the manager doesn’t like them. Ravel Morrison is a very good case in point.

As for the organised crime element, I would be amazed if it’s not already rife within the higher echelons of the game. My personal opinion is that these billionaire owners are probably all a bunch of crooks in one form or another.

Frostie

Sterling got injured & couldn't break into the Wigan team.
Since then he's spent over a year out with injury & caught Covid & some other mysterious illness that they thought might actually be career ending. He's only just started playing in Chelsea's U23s again recently.

Blind-Faith

Sullay Kaikai now a free agent. 7 goals & 8 assists last season for Blackpool. Hoped we'd sign him back in L1. Would still like him in the ranks, only 25.
Didn’t he tear us a new one playing for Shrewsbury a few years ago or am I thinking of someone else??

skyblueinBaku

No idea. Sounds like a manager decision. Seems a very popular player just missing that consistency. Very good blog on him here:

"Sullay had his doubters. Some people prefer to watch a sweaty run of the mill player shouting, pointing, getting booked for lunging into late tackles and displaying 'passion'... to a gifted footballer with genius in his boots, weaving magic.

Such is life. It would be boring if we all liked the same thing. I too am a big fan of anyone who makes the most of their abilities and whose attitude is a key attribute…

It has to be said though, that whilst

players of his ilk might frustrate sometime, it would a dull game if there were no Sullay Kaikais running down the wing, or even better, through the middle, or even better still, belting it so hard on the volley that the net literally looks like it's going to break. Attitude is great but if it's just lads kicking each other for 90 minutes and he who kicks hardest wins, you might as well watch rugby.

Yeah, he could run into a dead end and no, he wasn't the world's best tackler and I can't remember him heading it more than about 5 times in his Pool career but he was capable of electrifying brilliance.

Of course it sometimes didn't come off. But when it did, it was magical. Gliding with a low centre of gravity past 1,2,3 players as if they weren't there. Taking the ball and killing it stone dead, a touch to die for. Seeing the pass and hitting it first time. Arriving late and placing the shot into the exact place it needed to go.

Under Grayson, Sullay was more or less all the creativity. Roaming free and thrilling with his gifts, it's easy to forget that our decline broadly coincided with his injury woes.

Critchley seemed to see him as a project. A talent to be, if not tamed, but channelled. A place wide on the left was marked out for him and he never really seemed to quite suit it. Bez Lubala was bought and played there instead, but never took his chance. Sullay kept working his way back in, Critchley seemingly never quite convinced, but never able to overlook the obvious talent.

If one game sums him up, it's Burton Albion at home. Even I, an ardent believer that one person's "he goes missing" is another's "he gets double marked because of the rigid system we employed as Critch is fundamentally a bit suspicious of players whose skill comes from within and needs to let them loose a bit, as was proven when he did that..." couldn't really describe him as anything other than 'languid and fitful' in the first half, moping about like a Victorian lady in need of a good dose of smelling salts. All he needed was a lacy hanky to dap at his brow, so out of sorts did he look. Oh, but what a performance in the second half. Bit between his teeth, picking the ball on the half turn, racing forward, playing people in, trying the shot, dropping the shoulder, going one way then the other, defenders running backwards, afraid to even look at him. Pure magic.

A video of his best bits is quite sensational. His critics would say that's the problem. He's a highlights reel player. I'd say he's more than that. His work deep is underrated, his ability to pick a pass is it at times outrageous. Again, it's easy to forget how lumpen we were at the outset and how weeks went by where it appeared only Sullay seemed willing to put the ball into the box, instead of sideways. For all the criticism of his wider play, he proved to be adept at holding a shape, shadowing, tracking back, even drawing public praise from the impish one himself for his defensive work.

His final performance in tangerine was probably one of his best. Released into the no10 role, he played an absolute blinder for 60 odd minutes at the Stadium of Light. The unforgettable goal was just one of many pieces of magic and that he went down injured just as it seemed he might have made himself indispensable in his preferred position seemed somehow tragically apt.

I'm left with a feeling that whilst Critchley has done many, many, many things right, he never quite got to grips with Sullay. He could never bring himself to unleash him, preferring players like Embleton and Anderson when looking for the no10 role. Both have their merits and Anderson in particular is a joy to watch but there's a nagging sense that heresy as it may be to question the author of so many a masterclass, that we might have missed a trick…

For a player played in an unfamiliar role he wasn't best suited to, who seemingly played most of the year not 100% fit, to end the season behind only Jerry Yates for direct involvement in goals and by some distance the leading assist maker speaks to his ability to find the right decision at the right moment.

If someone can find the right blend around him and free him to just play, he'll be a promotion winner on his own. He's that good. The irony is, as much as Larry did a lot wrong (or certainly a lot less right than Critch) I think Larry understood him pretty well. He's better than anyone else. Just let him do what he wants.

Critch has, despite my obvious sense that he's not always been used to his fullest, likely improved him further and maybe his experience this year of playing a position and playing a team role will make him appreciate future freedoms still further and maybe refine his game to be more selective about when to keep it simple and when to turn it on.

I'm weirdly sad it won't be with us. He never did quite put it all together week on week in the way we hoped, but I'm really surprised that a player with such quick feet, instinctive brilliance, attacking intent and uncanny vision doesn't have a place next year. Maybe fitness has taken a toll, maybe Critch just doesn't see the risk/reward being worth it. I don't know. I can see why he like Embleton, who gives you half of Sullay and half of Matty Virtue. I just like the complete 100% wildcard type player that Sullay is.

What I do know is, I'll miss the quiet lad with the ability to electrify. Other players may snarl and strut, push, snap, spit and elbow their way round the pitch. I once watched a replay of a penalty shout we had and saw how tentative his appeal was as everyone else screamed in rage. He seemed embarrassed. He seems like one of the most polite players I've ever seen. He seems positively shy. Maybe if he was more arrogant. Maybe if he was a bit more of a knobhead, had a bit more swagger... But my god, when he gets the ball, he comes alive. When he gets the ball, my heart went a little faster. Who the hell knew what could happen next? He just looked so natural, so easy. At his best, he could be on a different plane. At times, he just looked lost. Where others read diffidence or a surliness, I always felt he was questioning himself

I think he's a player who has almost been cursed by his ability. Who, if he hasn't danced around 4 and hit a reverse back heel into the top corner whilst looking the other way, people feel is 'not at his best' because, quite frankly, his best is way beyond that of most of the rest of the players we've had for years. Who perhaps himself sometimes doubted as much as anyone else which meant when it clicked, there was a certain thrill and rawness to it.

I think I've made it clear over the time he's been here, that I rate him. I'll make it clear once more.... I bloody loved him. An absolute pleasure to watch, one of my favourite players in a long time.

Cheers Sullay."
That blog makes him sound a bit like Bright.

SBAndy

Sullay Kaikai now a free agent. 7 goals & 8 assists last season for Blackpool. Hoped we'd sign him back in L1. Would still like him in the ranks, only 25.

Actually a good shout. Dare say I’d prefer him to Paterson.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Who knows, I feel like sisu are starting to understand how football works. They have seen how investment in players can work. Hamer 1.3 mil last season already being talked about as possible 4-5mil. Osti has even more potential. Not sure what he would cost but say 1.5 with add ons and sell on, could easily make double in a year. If he signs a new contract, I think we would get him back on loan.

They knew that from the start, with signings like Dann, Fox, Westwood and Gunnarsson. Where they fell down was selling the lot for a short one-off gain wen we didn't go straight up. That is the part I hope they've learnt from.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Can also play CB and LB

Users who are viewing this thread