16 year old murdered in Wood End (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

In the long term you’ve got to start with the parents. In my youth I’d have been terrified of the police speaking to my parents and I would have been in big trouble. Don’t know anyone it would have been different for.

These days the parents are likely to have a go at the police.

Short term get police on the streets and make the punishment for carrying a weapon severe.

Nick

Administrator
In the long term you’ve got to start with the parents. In my youth I’d have been terrified of the police speaking to my parents and I would have been in big trouble. Don’t know anyone it would have been different for.

These days the parents are likely to have a go at the police.

Short term get police on the streets and make the punishment for carrying a weapon severe.

Would have been exactly the same for me, I'd have been begging for them not to take me home or drop me off round the corner.

clint van damme

That's the thing though, who's job is it to give them guidance? Parents / school / government etc?

everyone, I think. We can't keep seeing kids slain in the street.
I've mentioned before on another thread how they made it a public health issue rather than a crime issue in Glasgow and have reduced knife crime massively. They've introduced the same initiatives in London, (though they took years to get results).
I really hope we can reign it in before things get as bad here. It is heartbreaking, frightening and tragic to hear of incidents like this.
I'm no shrinking violet but the regularity of these type of incidents is starting to get to me to be honest.

Nick

Administrator
everyone, I think. We can't keep seeing kids slain in the street.
I've mentioned before on another thread how they made it a public health issue rather than a crime issue in Glasgow and have reduced knife crime massively. They've introduced the same initiatives in London, (though they took years to get results).
I really hope we can reign it in before things get as bad here. It is heartbreaking, frightening and tragic to hear of incidents like this.
I'm no shrinking violet but the regularity of these type of incidents is starting to get to me to be honest.

What does it mean by make it a public health issue? What would change to make it that way on the streets etc?

It is a bit worrying though isn't it? A disagreement could end up with being stabbed.

Nick

Administrator
Reading that it looks as if they did something like ISSS said.

Was just trying to figure out the things they did:

The police had mapped all the gangs and when people got there they saw their own pictures up in the court. The session started off with a warning: ‘We know who you are and if you carry on with this lifestyle we’re going to come down on you really hard. We’re going to arrest you and we’ll arrest the rest of the gang. You will be going to prison if this carries on.

We spoke about the injuries we see as a result of the violence and had a mum talk about losing her son. That really hit home

This bit I'm not so sure about, but it has obviously worked

There was help with housing, relocation, employment and training. They were given a number to call if they wanted to take the offer up. Huge numbers of them did so, were put into the programme, and are no longer in the gang lifestyle

It's like when the naughty kids at school got treats for not being naughty.

You would think that some of that would just be done generally anyway :( Get into schools when they are about 11 / 12 and give them the talk.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Extremely good point CVD.

It's bullshit like this that we can see through but poor kids swallow every word

Sorry Macca. I turned off after about 30-40 seconds. Couldn't understand a bloody word! :stop:

Houchens Head

Why are 14 / 15 year olds from Coventry rapping about Obama's Men / High from the spliff / People will get shot?

All they need to do is put a GPS tracker in every one of those chavvy man bags that gets sold in JD sports and they will know where they all are.

Why is the little kiddy in the woolly hat trying to sound like a black guy? Twat!

SkyBlueScottie

That's the thing though, who's job is it to give them guidance? Parents / school / government etc?
Got to be the parents, however this is affected by declining public services. Not enough Police, not enough support staff, not enough teachers, it all has an effect.

chiefdave

What's the wrong postcode thing all about? Is it literally person A lives in CV1, person B lives in CV2 therefore person A wants to kill person B, got to be more to it than that.

bringbackrattles

What's the wrong postcode thing all about? Is it literally person A lives in CV1, person B lives in CV2 therefore person A wants to kill person B, got to be more to it than that.
His sister said his Wood End postcode was behind it. Yet the church is in Wood End.

Johnnythespider

More about being in the wrong place, person from postcode A is in postcode B so person from postcode A stabs postcode B. Ridiculous state of affairs.

bringbackrattles

I recall a group of us drinking in a boozer in Willenhall in the 70's. Another group came over to us asking us where were we from ? We said Walsgrave why ? Got told only locals drink in here etc, so best drink up and leave. As it was packed we drank up and left. So similar to postcode thing ?

Nick

Administrator
If it has got to the point where he was literally minding his own business and was killed because of where he lives then the police need to be tackling it hard. They need to be kicking doors in for any known gang member and searching their houses, if they have a knife (not in the kitchen) in their house / car / moped then send them down.

rob9872

RIP to the lad and thoughts with his family however it occurred. My instant assumption was gang related, but if this is true that he happened to be in the wrong place because he was simply from a different part of town, then the City really is in a bad way. Leave that to London and Liverpool, we don’t need that rubbish here.

The only time we’ve encountered similar being from the wrong place I suppose is away games and even that’s quite sad. I've been all over the country and drank at away grounds and only had isolated issues. We didn't close to Millwall, Leeds or West Ham for obvious reasons. but these days despite there being less trouble and lots of cctv, it's simply not worth it which is a shame. Most away games now unless we're on an organised coach trip with a pre-booked pub, it tends to be a quick pint and then inside the ground somewhere close or I drive.

A couple of notable ones stick out, we drank in Moss Side when City were playing away there before the cup. We had to meet someone coming from a different direction so chose a local pub. It was nice and quiet and seemingly friendly at about 10.30 when we arrived and had a game of pool and a couple of beers, but it was made very clear we were unwelcome as it got towards lunchtime, similar issues in Stoke too. I get how we need to be apart during games (not sanitised like rugby), but I'll never understand why we can’t drink together before and after games without some tool thinking he's Zeberfuckindee!

eastwoodsdustman

On a side note, I have heard about a gang called 'CV2' who are going further afield on the rob and such like. Apparently they've been targeting kids/youths in Leamington and Kenilworth for Phones, Clothes and money. If that sort of thing really is going on then reprisals could happen and he could be wrong place wrong time.

CovInEssex

When I was about 16 me and my mate got a kicking in Nuneaton because we were Bedworth lads... Is what happened in Wood End (never been a nice place let's be honest) the 2018 version of that?

clint van damme

This sort of thing's always gone on but I thing the use of knives, Though not a new thing, seems more frequent.
It could be pure bad luck that so many recent incidents have lead to fatalities.

We still live in a relatively safe city but that doesn't mean we shouldn't pull out all the stops to make it safer and stop these horrific incidents.

oucho

RI[P to the lad and just to say feel so sorry for the boy's family. What a senseless thing to happen. "Killed for being from the wrong postcode". That makes as much sense as me killing anyone on this board because they are from a different postcode to me. Absolutely baffled, and saddened, that things like this can happen.

tisza

Terrible waste of a young life particularly over something so trivial.
When we were kids there were occasional punch-ups between the different schools but nothing involving these callous levels of violence.
It's a long list of where the system is failing.
Under-staffed and under-funded schools, police and penal system just a few key areas that can't tackle the issues. Hamstrung by successive govts that have sacrificed large numbers of kids and their futures.
All coupled with a noisy snowflake brigade that don't want us disciplining our kids or pushing them to be the best they can or taking responsibility for their own actions. A brigade that make excuses for everything and always find someone else to blame.

shmmeee

It should start in primary schools. Not full blown presentations obviously but subtlety dropped in alongside the curriculum. It’s something my business is working on at present.

Fundamental flaw here.

The kids you need to reach aren’t sat quietly in assembly taking notes.

Research shows a similar problem with homework: those who need it don’t do it and those who do it don’t need it.

School can’t paper over the cracks introduced by society. Parents are other related adults need to change culture, not a PowerPoint one Wednesday afternoon.

Good luck to you though, I’m sure you’ll make a few bob.

oucho

Fundamental flaw here.

Research shows a similar problem with homework: those who need it don’t do it and those who do it don’t need it.

School can’t paper over the cracks introduced by society. Parents are other related adults need to change culture, not a PowerPoint one Wednesday afternoon.

So how are we going to achieve that?

rob9872

Fundamental flaw here.

Good luck to you though, I’m sure you’ll make a few bob.
Largely agree but I didn't really need homework (academically fairly switched on, although yep I know I hide it well on here!) and yet achieved sod all. Mainly as I was a lazy arse then and I still am, continuing to blag my way through life. I always said that I did homework after school (playing footie), round a friends (playing footie) or in the library at lunchtime (playing footie). Pity I wasn't great at football as it was all I ever lived for and family apart that's still pretty much true!

shmmeee

Largely agree but I didn't really need homework (academically fairly switched on, although yep I know I hide it well on here!) and yet achieved sod all. Mainly as I was a lazy arse then and I still am, continuing to blag my way through life. I always said that I did homework after school (playing footie), round a friends (playing footie) or in the library at lunchtime (playing footie). Pity I wasn't great at football as it was all I ever lived for and family apart that's still pretty much true!

Just as an ex teacher the “solve all societies ills in school” take annoys me.

All it does is either take away from existing education or increase teacher workload. Plus gives parents and government a feeling of having done something so they do even less outside of school.

Such a lazy and counterproductive method.

No offence to those who put this shit on, not their fault. Most are well meaning.

Nick

Administrator
Just as an ex teacher the “solve all societies ills in school” take annoys me.

All it does is either take away from existing education or increase teacher workload. Plus gives parents and government a feeling of having done something so they do even less outside of school.

Such a lazy and counterproductive method.

No offence to those who put this shit on, not their fault. Most are well meaning.

I doubt the parents even know that they arent at school, then would probably have a go at the school for daring to question it.

Parents need to start taking responsibility for what their kid is up to. When they come in stinking of weed, hiding their pathetic man bags and rapping in their bedrooms about merking bluds it's time to have a word.

Heard the police are playing down gang links but his sister is saying it.

The Lurker

it was the rb7 crew who stabbed the poor kid they are a nasty piece of work. all stabbings shootings and robberys at the minute committed by these thugs police know who they are they need to be stopped before it happens again rip jj

Nick

Administrator
it was the rb7 crew who stabbed the poor kid they are a nasty piece of work. all stabbings shootings and robberys at the minute committed by these thugs police know who they are they need to be stopped before it happens again rip jj
Where are they from?

Why aren't the police dragging them from their beds in the night one by one? ;(

Houchens Head

I recall a group of us drinking in a boozer in Willenhall in the 70's. Another group came over to us asking us where were we from ? We said Walsgrave why ? Got told only locals drink in here etc, so best drink up and leave. As it was packed we drank up and left. So similar to postcode thing ?
I remember that sort of thing going on in the 70's BBR. Willenhall, Wood End, Henley Green, Stoke Aldermoor…. all places you visited, only if you were on legitimate business!

clint van damme

Aren't they the mob who've been responsible for a load of muggings in town.
Target students a lot if it's the same outfit I'm on about

bringbackrattles

I remember that sort of thing going on in the 70's BBR. Willenhall, Wood End, Henley Green, Stoke Aldermoor…. all places you visited, only if you were on legitimate business!
My mate was going out with a Willenhall girl. We thought should we stand our ground ? The pub was the Winnal I think it was called ? Some hard looking lads in there, we drank up and left !

Users who are viewing this thread